HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Leblanc vs Eller

Old
03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Guilliam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovech8 View Post
He turns 22 in 2 months, big deal.

Like I said, in my last post, he will improve of course, but you guys are beginning to take my original post of out of context. I was simply denying the Eller to Sundin comparison. That's it.
Well like I just said, I agree that the comparison to Sundin isn't really a good one. But I just couldn't agree with your statement that hinted that "what we see now is what we'll get with Eller".

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I've read through this thread and I will weigh in to vote Eller.

Comparisons are tough, but I like the Mikko Koivu one. He really didn't produce early on either, but had the raw abilities that you could see. He's slightly better at finishing, but both play the same style and have similar upside. You can see Eller panics a bit with the puck still and plays a bit nervous. Once he out-grows that (and bulks up a bit) he'll be a stud. No doubt in my mind.

The comparison that bugs me is Leblanc-Richards. As someone who had season tickets for Richards' entire junior career, I have to say I just don't see it. Mike Richards is a guy who absolutely dominated in every facet as a 19-year-old. He basically single-handedly beat a stacked Owen Sound team in the playoffs. By that, I mean scoring 6 points on the road in a 6-5 win and killing all penalties, etc. Then he led a weak Ranger squad against Corey Perry, Dennis Wideman, Rob Schremp et al and again put the team on his back. From what I've seen of Leblanc, he's just nowhere near functioning at that level. The Moncton game was the best I've seen him, and even so he wasn't dominating by any stretch.

He has upside though. I think a better comparison for him might be someone like Steve Weiss on the high end or a smaller, but harder working Pouliot on the low end.
I really like the Koivu comparison...not only because it looks good for Eller ...but it firs pretty good.

Koivu only came to NA at 21 and played AHL...Eller was here at 20.

Koivu 67 GP 20-28-48
Eller 70 GP 18-39-57(7 GP 2-0-2 in St.Louis)

Koivu cracked the Wild lineup at 22...Eller the Habs at 21. Kouvu got 13 min per game as a rookie, Eller 10 min. Koivu got 10 points on the PP, Eller has not really played on the PP and no points.

Koivu 64 GP 6-15-21
Eller 59 GP 4-7-11

In Koivu's 3rd year he jumped to top 6 and put up 20-34-54 in 82 games...that was taking 2 steps forward in one year at 23. Since then he has progressed from 54 to a 70 point 2 way guy. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Eller could progress to 3rd line C/W next year and about 35 points, then his 3rd year to top 6 and 50 or more points matching Koivu at 23.

I agree that comparing LeBlanc to Richards might be a stretch, but the stats at 19 are not way off. Richards had 43 GP 22-36-58(though he put up 89 in 58 games at 18) and he tore it up in the playoffs(15 GP 11-17-28).

So far LeBlanc has 45 GP 25-29-54. I think his numbers don't fully do him justice as he's played on a team that has 3 balanced lines while guys like Couturier, Huberdeau and co play with better linemates and get all the big minutes. Gouchie has gotten as many minutes as Leblanc and gotten Parkes their best winger. Missing time from injuries and the WJHC also played a part. Richards is more high end skilled in terms of hands and vision and he is better at making teammates/linemates better. LeBlanc I think is a guy that if you give him a good playmaking center could score 30 in the NHL year in year out and play a strong all around game(physical, defensively and PK)

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexim View Post
If Eller can develop into a 70 points 2-way center. I'll be very happy.
Points are often circumstancial...who you play with, what type of system you're in, etc all play a factor into the amount of points a player can achieve.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Other than Eller and Sundin both coming from scandinavian countries, I don't see the comparison either.

Again, I see alot more Plekanec in Eller...than I see Sundin.
This. I have no doubt that he will be Plek Number 2 for us. With a bigger size.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I really like the Koivu comparison...not only because it looks good for Eller ...but it firs pretty good.

Koivu only came to NA at 21 and played AHL...Eller was here at 20.

Koivu 67 GP 20-28-48
Eller 70 GP 18-39-57(7 GP 2-0-2 in St.Louis)

Koivu cracked the Wild lineup at 22...Eller the Habs at 21. Kouvu got 13 min per game as a rookie, Eller 10 min. Koivu got 10 points on the PP, Eller has not really played on the PP and no points.

Koivu 64 GP 6-15-21
Eller 59 GP 4-7-11

In Koivu's 3rd year he jumped to top 6 and put up 20-34-54 in 82 games...that was taking 2 steps forward in one year at 23. Since then he has progressed from 54 to a 70 point 2 way guy. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Eller could progress to 3rd line C/W next year and about 35 points, then his 3rd year to top 6 and 50 or more points matching Koivu at 23.

I agree that comparing LeBlanc to Richards might be a stretch, but the stats at 19 are not way off. Richards had 43 GP 22-36-58(though he put up 89 in 58 games at 18) and he tore it up in the playoffs(15 GP 11-17-28).

So far LeBlanc has 45 GP 25-29-54. I think his numbers don't fully do him justice as he's played on a team that has 3 balanced lines while guys like Couturier, Huberdeau and co play with better linemates and get all the big minutes. Gouchie has gotten as many minutes as Leblanc and gotten Parkes their best winger. Missing time from injuries and the WJHC also played a part. Richards is more high end skilled in terms of hands and vision and he is better at making teammates/linemates better. LeBlanc I think is a guy that if you give him a good playmaking center could score 30 in the NHL year in year out and play a strong all around game(physical, defensively and PK)

Agreed on all of the above Carey. And on the Richards thing, I was kind of casting stats aside and just going purely on impact on the game. Leblanc is a good player who you have to be aware of. At 19, Richards was far and away the most dominant player on the ice. He controlled the game via his board work, hitting, leadership (chatter), driving the net, etc. He was a pace-setter in the image of a Messier or Iginla in his prime. One of those guys who the game seemed to revolve around. I just don't nearly get that impression from Leblanc. I really don't see the comparison.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:12 PM
habsjunkie2*

Eller in a walk. Louis will be a fringe NHLer. He is nothing like Mike Richards. I hate these foolish comparisons.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:14 PM

Since we're all playing the comparison game...here's one

Eller = Plekanec
Leblanc = Sharp

Old
03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Eller in a walk. Louis will be a fringe NHLer. He is nothing like Mike Richards. I hate these foolish comparisons.
Your clearly don't watch hockey enough.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:25 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Your clearly don't watch hockey enough.
Yes, that must be the case. We'll wait and see. I have this post book marked. We'll revisit down the road.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
They have a lot in common...LeBlanc is a better skater, Richards is a better playmaker and plays a big part in the Flyers PP, that's where he gets almost 45% of his points the last 4-5 years. LeBlanc will be more a gritty winger that wins battles, shoots the puck a lot and drives the net. 30-35-65, to me Morrow, Brown and Burrows are better comparisons than Richards...but they do have a lot of similarities.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Im noto sure how to post youtube videos directly so here's my link to the answer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvBfHwUxHIk

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:38 PM
CanadienErrant*

Leblanc = Carbonneau

Eller = ???

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
They have a lot in common...LeBlanc is a better skater, Richards is a better playmaker and plays a big part in the Flyers PP, that's where he gets almost 45% of his points the last 4-5 years. LeBlanc will be more a gritty winger that wins battles, shoots the puck a lot and drives the net. 30-35-65, to me Morrow, Brown and Burrows are better comparisons than Richards...but they do have a lot of similarities.
LL will never score 35 in his career imo. You way overrate him, you'll see for yourself in the not to distant future. He is absolutely nothing like Mike Richards either.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
LL will never score 35 in his career imo. You way overrate him, you'll see for yourself in the not to distant future. He is absolutely nothing like Mike Richards either.
No i agree he won't score 35 goals in his career . That is just wishful thinking . But he could put up 20-25 a season if he is our 2nd line center in 1/2 years . Once gomez in out of the way . Or he could be 3rd line center if DD takes the 2nd line center spot.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:45 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Have you ever seen a young player that DIDN'T gain a fair amount of weight from the time they were 18-19 to 22-23?

Most kids gain anywhere from 10 to 30 lbs from the time they are drafted to physical maturity. I see LeBlanc playing in his prime at around 200lbs give or take 3-5lbs, so the size of Gorges. MacMillan is another player that should put on a good amount of weight in the next 3-4 years and play as a pro at 190-195lbs.
I don't doubt that he will gain weight, but I found him to be disappointing against his peers at the WJC. To me he worked the boards well, but he never came out to get points, he was easily contained. So when I see people drooling over him, I just don't get it. I hate when our prospects get hyped and then everyone becomes disappointed in the end. To me, Louis is a future 3rd line winger. Of course I hope he makes me eat my words.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Me too I agree with the Eller-Mikko comparison. However, I don't like the Leblanc-Richards comparison. Because, I don't think that Leblanc is going to play with the same hard hitting game that Richards does. Leblanc will play with grit and intensity, much like Patrice Bergeron. Leblanc will be a strong forward with good board play and can put the puck in the net. Anyways, Eller and Leblanc are both future stars for the Canadiens...well, I hope.
Agreed, i've always seen a lot of similiraties between the two of them, Leblanc and Bergeron.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:59 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I don't doubt that he will gain weight, but I found him to be disappointing against his peers at the WJC. To me he worked the boards well, but he never came out to get points, he was easily contained. So when I see people drooling over him, I just don't get it. I hate when our prospects get hyped and then everyone becomes disappointed in the end. To me, Louis is a future 3rd line winger. Of course I hope he makes me eat my words.
This pretty well sums it up. He doesn't have the potential to score 30-35g imo. nowhere close. He is a 3rd liner, nothing more. He could be a nice piece, but I think 20-25g is overly optimistic too.

Old
03-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Dissapointing? Being one of the few players that was good in his zone, Leblanc was sent as a defense 1st player, mainly why he went from line 1 to line 4, playing against the other team's top line and he still managed to finish 4th in points. He had an excellent tournament which would of been even better if he would played with Scheen the whole time.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:09 AM
muzion

How the hell could Eller be similar to Plekanec when the latter can't even cycle the puck,, hang on to it along the boards, and avoids contact?!?!

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I've read through this thread and I will weigh in to vote Eller.

Comparisons are tough, but I like the Mikko Koivu one. He really didn't produce early on either, but had the raw abilities that you could see. He's slightly better at finishing, but both play the same style and have similar upside. You can see Eller panics a bit with the puck still and plays a bit nervous. Once he out-grows that (and bulks up a bit) he'll be a stud. No doubt in my mind.

The comparison that bugs me is Leblanc-Richards. As someone who had season tickets for Richards' entire junior career, I have to say I just don't see it. Mike Richards is a guy who absolutely dominated in every facet as a 19-year-old. He basically single-handedly beat a stacked Owen Sound team in the playoffs. By that, I mean scoring 6 points on the road in a 6-5 win and killing all penalties, etc. Then he led a weak Ranger squad against Corey Perry, Dennis Wideman, Rob Schremp et al and again put the team on his back. From what I've seen of Leblanc, he's just nowhere near functioning at that level. The Moncton game was the best I've seen him, and even so he wasn't dominating by any stretch.

He has upside though. I think a better comparison for him might be someone like Steve Weiss on the high end or a smaller, but harder working Pouliot on the low end.
I totally agree with this post. Leblanc's high end is Stephen Weiss. He's not anywhere near as punishing and rounded as Richards. His value on this team will be somewhere along the lines of Higgins (when he was good) and that's optimistic. My guess is that he'll have a tough road to the NHL but that eventually, his smarts and instincts will win out and he can be a contributing member to a winning team. Not terrible value for an 18th overall pick.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
How the hell could Eller be similar to Plekanec when the latter can't even cycle the puck,, hang on to it along the boards, and avoids contact?!?!
Maybe you don't recall Plekanec when he first started...

Old
03-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'm going to go with Eller even though I've never seen Leblanc play. I'm finally seeing what Eller can bring. I just have a hunch some members of this forum are overrating Leblanc. I may be wrong. I confess to having underrated Parise in 2003 but I feel safe in saying that Leblanc won't be as good as Parise.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:51 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Maybe you don't recall Plekanec when he first started...
He IS talking about pleks here.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote