HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs getting ready for POs with a rope a dope win on the road!!!

Old
03-02-2011, 09:13 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
I don't think people realize just how important it really is to finish 5th+ and face Pittsburgh and not one of Boston, Tampa or Philly.

I do believe we can beat any of those teams, I believe it the most with Boston because our team shows up against them big time.

That being said though, I'd like to face Pittsburgh. I think people are overrating the effect an injured Crosby will have on that team. He isn't back yet for a reason, the concussion is bad. I know they're trying to rest him for the playoffs and all, I just don't think he'll be in tip top shape is all.

If we're in 5th and we win the first round the odds of us facing Philly/Tampa in the 2nd are a lot less than say if we're in 6th, of course 7th or 8th we'd face them in the first round. Also keep in mind a fluke 7th or 8th place victory could mean the end for Philly/Boston/Tampa, I'd be willing to bet one of those teams chokes, probably Tampa due to poor goaltending.

But if you end up in 6th or 7th or even 8th place, you'll be facing one of those teams. I could live with 6th vs Boston, maybe even 7th vs Tampa but 8th vs Philly...

Habs need to keep playing like they are desperate and try to get as high in the standings as they can. I don't see the teams below us catching up thankfully but if we do play good hockey we could even surpass a team like Washington.

Wouldn't mind facing them in the first round again either

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:14 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I don't think people realize just how important it really is to finish 5th+ and face Pittsburgh and not one of Boston, Tampa or Philly.

I do believe we can beat any of those teams, I believe it the most with Boston because our team shows up against them big time.

That being said though, I'd like to face Pittsburgh. I think people are overrating the effect an injured Crosby will have on that team. He isn't back yet for a reason, the concussion is bad. I know they're trying to rest him for the playoffs and all, I just don't think he'll be in tip top shape is all.

If we're in 5th and we win the first round the odds of us facing Philly/Tampa in the 2nd are a lot less than say if we're in 6th, of course 7th or 8th we'd face them in the first round. Also keep in mind a fluke 7th or 8th place victory could mean the end for Philly/Boston/Tampa, I'd be willing to bet one of those teams chokes, probably Tampa due to poor goaltending.

But if you end up in 6th or 7th or even 8th place, you'll be facing one of those teams. I could live with 6th vs Boston, maybe even 7th vs Tampa but 8th vs Philly...

Habs need to keep playing like they are desperate and try to get as high in the standings as they can. I don't see the teams below us catching up thankfully but if we do play good hockey we could even surpass a team like Washington.

personally I am okay with facing anyone in the playoffs... except philly

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Pacioretty = Great Game (churned things up, drew penalty, breakaway, hustled)

Price = Great Game (numerous saves including some breakaway saves)

PK = Subdued Game (efficient though especially on the PK)

Plekanec = Attracted to Penalty Box (penalty filled games now and then)

Hamrlik = Troll (gotta believe he was trying to draw a penalty and did)

Mara = Physical Presence (please don't hurt your shoulder)

DD = Check from Ref (I thought I was seeing things, LOL)

Wiz = Another Point (decent defensively, bet he can't wait to lose the cage)

Cammalleri = Missed Opportunity (I guess he was just too close, LOL)

Thrasher Home Ice = Deader than a Doornail (seriously, it's gotta be hard for the Habs to play in front of those couple of people, atmosphere was just terrible.)

Win = Two Points (play better next game though)
Good point! Hamrlik's trolling led to the GWG

I'm glad that Martin reduced his ice time. Hopefully he'll be more effective now that Sopel and Mara / Weber can take over PK duties.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
personally I am okay with facing anyone in the playoffs... except philly
Me too. But Tampa scares me. Plus I don't know if I could handle the media and people in here saying see I told you so about Guy Boucher. Really dislike St-Louis too since his moronic comments about that shootout they lost too. Would love to see them lose. Not a team I like very much as you can tell.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Naoned

Quote:

I'd really like Washington in the first round. With home ice advantage, this time.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:28 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Boston is weaker than Washington or a healthy Pittsburgh. If Boston is going to finish third, I think Montreal is best served by sitting tight in 6th place; going 5th and facing Washington would be a considerable increase in difficulty.

Pittsburgh minus Malkin and Crosby, is not a bad matchup, but of all the teams above the Habs in the standings, I think Boston is the weakest.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
That was because of the beautiful ice quality in that excuse of a hockey team arena. The puck hopped over his stick at the last second you could see it on the slow-mo replay. The ice quality looked awful last night.
Maybe I need my eyes checked since no one else has mentioned this when talking about Cammy's missed chance, but upon seeing the replay on TV, it looked to me like it clearly deflected off Bogosian's stick when he dove to stop the shot.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Maybe I need my eyes checked since no one else has mentioned this when talking about Cammy's missed chance, but upon seeing the replay on TV, it looked to me like it clearly deflected off Bogosian's stick when he dove to stop the shot.
That I'm not sure of. He tried to one-time it but it jumped over his stick last second and he had to coral the puck with his skates and try to make a play quickly. I thought he just flicked it far left-side wide but maybe it hit a stick. But he tried to one-time it first is what I mean.

Anyway, I'm sure he'd like that one back. Probably if he gets a chance like that during last years playoffs when he was on fire that puck is in the net before you can say catnip.

Old
03-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoned View Post
I'd really like Washington in the first round. With home ice advantage, this time.
The only way we could make Washington regret renting Arnott is to overtake both Washington and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh just has to keep losing with no Crosby or Malkin. Washington? Winning our next games with Washington helps but we need Ovechkin back into his slump.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
3rd and 4th liners are easier matchups...players not as good...not as explosive offensively so his size is less of an issue. Also getting more #5-6 d-men.
Damn.

Sorry I forgot this is the HF Habs section.

Where if a rookie doesn't come in and score 40650435 points, hit everything in sight, play every game perfectly, and always score in the shootout - they suck.

The kid is 24 freaking years old and scoring at a ridiculous pace - regardless of who he's playing against. He has the best production rate on the team (and I believe one of the best in the NHL, I'm not sure). Fact. He's also playing with worse wingers than Gomez (HA!) and Plekanec (well debateable, I guess).

How you could want anymore out of this kid, right now, is beyond me. He rarely loses puck battles, he's always going to the net, he just loves being on this team.

Think we could give him a year or two to develop? The kid is pretty amazing as it is - in another year or two, he will be a second line centre - quote me on it.

I've been right about him for years - and it's not going to stop now. And to be honest? I don't even take credit for being right about him - all you have to do is watch him and know that you're seeing a terrific player with a never quit attitude.

It really frustrates me that if a player doesn't come in his first NHL season and become exactly what he's intended to be - he's never going to be that. How about we give him a chance first?

What if Paciroetty struggles over the next 15 games? Scores, let's say 2 goals and 3 assists. Is he suddenly never going to be a good player? Oh darn, guess he'll never be more than a fourth liner.

EDIT: ESPN seems to have removed PROD rate from their statistics, at least I can't find it anymore. But I did find out that post All-Star break, Desharnais is tied for 2nd on the team in points (Patches 11pts/14gp while Pleks, Gionta, and Desharnais all have 9pts/14gp).

EDIT #2: Found PROD rate, will update momentarily;

In the NHL (players with more than 20 GP), Desharnais sits 37th in the league @ 22:03. The next closest Habs are; Pacioretty (81st, 24:50), Cammalleri (89th, 25:20), Plekanec (105th, 26:28), Darche (111th, 26:57).

Last edited by Bad Natey: 03-02-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Damn.

Sorry I forgot this is the HF Habs section.

Where if a rookie doesn't come in and score 40650435 points, hit everything in sight, play every game perfectly, and always score in the shootout - they suck.

The kid is 24 freaking years old and scoring at a ridiculous pace - regardless of who he's playing against. He has the best production rate on the team (and I believe one of the best in the NHL, I'm not sure). Fact. He's also playing with worse wingers than Gomez (HA!) and Plekanec (well debateable, I guess).

How you could want anymore out of this kid, right now, is beyond me. He rarely loses puck battles, he's always going to the net, he just loves being on this team.

Think we could give him a year or two to develop? The kid is pretty amazing as it is - in another year or two, he will be a second line centre - quote me on it.

I've been right about him for years - and it's not going to stop now. And to be honest? I don't even take credit for being right about him - all you have to do is watch him and know that you're seeing a terrific player with a never quit attitude.

It really frustrates me that if a player doesn't come in his first NHL season and become exactly what he's intended to be - he's never going to be that. How about we give him a chance first?

What if Paciroetty struggles over the next 15 games? Scores, let's say 2 goals and 3 assists. Is he suddenly never going to be a good player? Oh darn, guess he'll never be more than a fourth liner.

EDIT: ESPN seems to have removed PROD rate from their statistics, at least I can't find it anymore. But I did find out that post All-Star break, Desharnais is tied for 2nd on the team in points (Patches 11pts/14gp while Pleks, Gionta, and Desharnais all have 9pts/14gp).

EDIT #2: Found PROD rate, will update momentarily.
I'm not knocking the kid, he's been a solid contributor. Not sure if he will be able to get a bigger role in the nHL, but right now he needs the right matchups to be effective and the coaches are doing that. Not sure why that requires a freak out?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
I'm not knocking the kid, he's been a solid contributor. Not sure if he will be able to get a bigger role in the nHL, but right now he needs the right matchups to be effective and the coaches are doing that. Not sure why that requires a freak out?
You were just the one I quoted.

It was more-so aimed at people saying he'll never be able to be more than a 3rd line center.

Old
03-02-2011, 10:19 AM

I wish the Martin would lay off the icetime with Plekanec...he's worn down considerably in the second half and that's not good going into the playoffs. He's got no business playing the point on the PP and I just wish they'd stop using him on the PK as well, give that icetime to Eller if anything.

Plekanec plays too many hard minutes...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

i want to meet the teams above us in this order during the playoffs:

Pittsburg
Washington
Tampa Bay
Boston
Philly

Pens, Caps & TB play a style that falls within JM's wheelhouse and the Habs' strength. The Pens are the weakest of the three and Tampa Bay plays a superior game but I still think the Habs have a better chance against The Lightning than they do against the Bruins.

Boston & Philly would embarrass the Habs, especially if Gomez continues to play like he belongs in the ECHL.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I wish the Martin would lay off the icetime with Plekanec...he's worn down considerably in the second half and that's not good going into the playoffs. He's got no business playing the point on the PP and I just wish they'd stop using him on the PK as well, give that icetime to Eller if anything.

I really like Plecky, but if I were a guy like Muller I'd let him know the team can do without the victim attitude and the general moping-like body language lately after every call that doesn't go his way. I'm getting a little annoyed with it personally. Love the guy's competitiveness in the first half. Now he's still playing well but he's letting his frustration get the better of him imo.

Old
03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

That's why Pyatt (and defensive forwards) are useful. They should be used on the PK, especially later on in the season. I know Plekanec wants to play those minutes, but if you give them to a guy like Pyatt 1) Plekanec is going to be better rested offensively and for the playoffs 2) Pyatt is going to be more confident and fans will see the true meaning of having a playing like that in the lineup.

My pairings would be;

Halpern - Moen
Pyatt/White (Darche when he returns) - Desharnais

Plekanec - Gionta would my 3rd pairing or *subs* for guys above if they take the penalty.

This would cut considerable ice-time for those two guys (Pleks and Gio to a lesser extent) so we could save their legs for playoffs.

Pleks is so good on the PK, but I'd rather give it to a defensive guy whose going to get he job done almost as well, rather than depend on the defensive guys to score goals because Pleks is tired.

Of course, late in a tie-game/important moment/etc Pleks would sub in on the PK.

Desharnais & Halpern are both solid defensively, make smart plays, and are good in the F/O circle. Let them win faceoffs, so we can clear the puck.

Old
03-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I really like Plecky, but if I were a guy like Muller I'd let him know the team can do without the victim attitude and the general moping-like body language lately after every call that doesn't go his way. I'm getting a little annoyed with it personally. Love the guy's competitiveness in the first half. Now he's still playing well but he's letting his frustration get the better of him imo.
That's fair...I just think Martin's is wearing him out personally. Too much responsibility for Plekanec, I understand he's an excellent two-way forward, but that doesn't mean you have to use him in ALL situations ALL the time.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
You can say the same thing for pretty much every body..

DD is not as slow as people make him out to be. Fine, he's no bullet, but neither is Cammy. While he doesn't bring the sniper shot that Cammy has, he does bring great playmaking abilities. He's also smart with the puck and is feisty (more so than Cammy) in the corners. He's a rookie that has 14pts in 25GP, that's very good no matter who he's playing against. If we can have a 3rd liner producing at a 46pts per year pace, then that is great depth.
I think it would be the first time I see a player produce around 50pts as a third liner but then see his production drop when he gets promoted to a top 6 role. Can you give me examples of this happening, because I can't think of any.

People often like to talk about playing versus weaker players when you're on the bottom lines. But shouldn't we say the same about his own linemates and ice time? Wouldn't playing with Gionta and MaxPac be better than White-Pouliot? Wouldn't playing 18 min a game like our 2nd center (Gomez) give him more time to create more things as well?
I mean, if you're going to say he gets weaker opponents, why not bring up that he's also getting a lot less ice time and playing himself with less talented players?
It's a two way street.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Wait a sec, didn't DD with AK help set up the power play goal that was a GWG?

If he looked bad last night what can we say about Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Halpern?

I can remember the commentators remarking how effective the DD line was in bottling up the opposing team.

But I guess everyone sees what they want to see.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:27 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Usually 3rd and 4th liners are stronger, just saying.

The kid is a rookie, scoring at a great pace with little ice time. winning board battles, high f/o%, best production rate on the team, even +/-, goes to the front of the net, plays hard... his speed is just fine too... what more do you want after 30 NHL games. He'll only get better. You can quote me on that.
Stronger physically, I meant stronger to play agaisnt.

Dont get me wrong, I would like nothing more than having a PPG Quebec kid on the team, I just dont see it. I hope he will succeed with the team, though.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Forsead

Quote:
That's why Pyatt (and defensive forwards) are useful. They should be used on the PK, especially later on in the season. I know Plekanec wants to play those minutes, but if you give them to a guy like Pyatt 1) Plekanec is going to be better rested offensively and for the playoffs 2) Pyatt is going to be more confident and fans will see the true meaning of having a playing like that in the lineup.

My pairings would be;

Halpern - Moen
Pyatt/White (Darche when he returns) - Desharnais

Plekanec - Gionta would my 3rd pairing or *subs* for guys above if they take the penalty.

This would cut considerable ice-time for those two guys (Pleks and Gio to a lesser extent) so we could save their legs for playoffs.

Pleks is so good on the PK, but I'd rather give it to a defensive guy whose going to get he job done almost as well, rather than depend on the defensive guys to score goals because Pleks is tired.

Of course, late in a tie-game/important moment/etc Pleks would sub in on the PK.

Desharnais & Halpern are both solid defensively, make smart plays, and are good in the F/O circle. Let them win faceoffs, so we can clear the puck.
I would put Gomez there big time, at least he would be use to something.

I don't really think Desharnais can be a good penalty killer ATM, I really like him, but he isn't the best defensive forward, he hasn't the best speed and he still loose too many puck battle. Was he killing alot of penalty in the AHL ?

White was good IMO on the PK. Darche also hasn't been use on the PK with the Habs alot I don't see Martin use him there. I would like to see Eller he can do a fine job.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:43 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
i want to meet the teams above us in this order during the playoffs:

Pittsburg
Washington
Tampa Bay
Boston
Philly

Pens, Caps & TB play a style that falls within JM's wheelhouse and the Habs' strength. The Pens are the weakest of the three and Tampa Bay plays a superior game but I still think the Habs have a better chance against The Lightning than they do against the Bruins.

Boston & Philly would embarrass the Habs, especially if Gomez continues to play like he belongs in the ECHL.

I don't get it.. The Bruins have won what 2 games or so against the Habs the past 2 seasons and all of a sudden they are suddenly gonna start embarrassing the Habs now?

The Bruins go 6-0 on their last road trip which included 4 games against bottom dwellers and all of a sudden on the main board they are the best team in the NHL..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I would put Gomez there big time, at least he would be use to something.

I don't really think Desharnais can be a good penalty killer ATM, I really like him, but he isn't the best defensive forward, he hasn't the best speed and he still loose too many puck battle. Was he killing alot of penalty in the AHL ?

White was good IMO on the PK. Darche also hasn't been use on the PK with the Habs alot I don't see Martin use him there. I would like to see Eller he can do a fine job.
DD was used in all situations in the AHL, much like Pleks here. DD was also used on the PK when he first came up, though he has been much lately.

I don't see how he loses many puck battles - all the stats from that amazing pack a few threads down seem to suggest otherwise as well.

Eller might do an alright job - but then again, I just want Pleks rested a little more so I don't care who does the PKing really, so long as they are competent.

Old
03-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Stronger physically, I meant stronger to play agaisnt.

Dont get me wrong, I would like nothing more than having a PPG Quebec kid on the team, I just dont see it. I hope he will succeed with the team, though.
You don't have to be a ppg player to be on the top 6. Matter of fact, only a minority of top6 players around the league score at a PPG pace.

Natey isn't saying DD will put up 80pts per year. Nobody is actually.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Forsead

Quote:
DD was used in all situations in the AHL, much like Pleks here. DD was also used on the PK when he first came up, though he has been much lately.

I don't see how he loses many puck battles - all the stats from that amazing pack a few threads down seem to suggest otherwise as well.

Eller might do an alright job - but then again, I just want Pleks rested a little more so I don't care who does the PKing really, so long as they are competent.
Well on the PK to be a go to guy you need a combinationone of the following asset to be good : speed, positioning, boards play, puck battle.

The only one that is a Desharnais strenght is positioning I jsute think he need to ajust a little bit more in the NHL to be a regular on the PK.

I agree I would like that the reduce Plekanec PK icetime. He should still go, but not that much anymore at this point.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote