HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller Shines

Old
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

vCash: 500
Good:
- Miller: a beast all game long
- Myers: one of his best games of the season IMO, strong offensively, defensively, and physically
- Weber outside of the third period, his breakup of that 2-on-1 was a thing a beauty, textbook (I hope Tyler 1 was watching)
- I thought Vanek played an awesome game at both end of the ice as well, his backcheck taking Dubinsky out of the play on that rush in the third was beautiful. Setting screens all night long and some really good hustle all over the ice.
- Sekera had some gaffs but also did some really, really good things as well. In the third when he had that rush and then busted his ass all the way back to take out the Rangers player (I think it was Dubinsky) where they were whining for a call, gotta love the effort, he had to of been gassed. His assist on Hechts goal was very nice.
- The new guy getting a goal in his first game, I thought he had a pretty solid game all around. Involved more physically than I expected.
- MZA was dangerous all night, first time really watching and focusing on him but I was very impressed.
- I would kill to have Dubinsky or Callahan on this team.

Bad:
- Weber in the third, Morrisonn as well
- Officiating
- Nieds is invisible
- Grier has not been good at all for the past month or so

Ugly:
- The broadcast, from top to bottom...terrible

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
CupWanted
#19 The Future

A bad pattern that's starting to emerge: Whoever is partnered with Myers ends upin the good and the rest of the defensemen not named Myers often end up in the bad. The coaching staff needs to find some stability on the other two pairings. Myers can't play 60 mins a game.

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:48 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Good:

-Miller. He got them the two points last night. Held the fort when they were under siege in the 3rd.
-Vanek. Two great screens leading directly to goals. Also had a good backcheck in the 3rd. I forgot who it was against, but it may have been Dubinsky or Callahan. Even Forslund, who was actively rooting for the Rangers, had to give the play its due.
-Butler. With the exception of the first shift of the game and that shift where he and Myers were seemingly out there for two minutes, I thought Myers-Butler were fantastic last night. Butler looks so much better with Myers. You certainly notice him a lot less, and that's a good thing for a defenseman.
-Myers. I thought this was one of his best defensive games of the season. Was using the reach effectively. And he's starting to really up the physical game.
-Sekera on the offensive end. Four points in the last two games. Is he finally starting to find the offense that we know is in there and has laid dormant for so long?
-Weber's breakup of the 2-on-1 in the 2nd period. Textbook.
-Gaustad. Was fantastic at the dot last night (12-3) and I liked his game otherwise, too. He had some extra jump and it almost looked like he had hands last night.
-Hecht. I liked his game last night. Looked quick and strong on the puck.

Bad:
-Grier. Isn't he on the team, at least in part, because he makes smart plays? That drop-pass in the 3rd that lead to a rush the other way was so stupid. And on the 2nd goal, his goaltender had been knocked down yet he tried to carry the puck out of the zone from the middle of the ice instead of just swatting it into the corner or icing the puck, which would've allowed Miller and the team to reset. Dumb game from him last night.
-Weber. The knock on him in the A was that he took stupid penalties at inopportune times. That was the case last night. The Rags already received a somewhat chintzy penalty on Sauer for interference, and you know that particular ref was going to reciprocate--don't give him an easy reason to call you for interference. And the play on Avery was stupid, too. You just went up 2-0, you don't need to try to blow up a diver like Avery, let alone stick your knee out at him. Be smarter, Mike.
-Morrisonn. Didn't like his game, either. When he took himself out of the play to throw a hit at the red line, which led to a 2-on-1 for the Rags, was a bad habit he probably learned from playing with past Caps teams: run around looking for a hit and take yourself out of the play. Morrisonn-Weber was a mess in their zone.
-Connolly. More bad drop-passes. Wasn't very good defensively. He doesn't learn.

Ugly:
-Forslund. What a joke. I understand that the team that writes his paycheck is in direct competition with the Sabres for the 8-seed, but try not to actively root for the opponent. The inflection in his voice when the Rags were doing something compared to when Buffalo was doing something was a complete joke. Then to whine so fervently when Dubinsky got pulled down on his way to the net, but matter-of-factly state that the refs had put the whistles away when there was a more obvious penalty when McCormick was tripped really pissed me off. A friend of mine who lives in the Hudson Valley sent me this gem from the Rangers Report, which is the Rags' blog on that newspaper site:

Jeez, a beat writer for the Rags thought the Versus crew was great, that should tell you something.
I was right with you on that. Especially since Sekera got the puck before he took Dubinsky down which is the key anyway. Of course the Rag lovers in the booth never even touched on that.

I loved how they accuse Ennis of embellishing when the chip and chase play usually involves trying to jump by the defenseman before he closes the gap between you and the boards. Clearly if he tries to jump through and gets his legs wedged, he is not going to be able to right himself and will go down. That is a penalty every time. If their mancrush Ryan Callahan had done it they would have praised him to no end for his hustle.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupWanted View Post
A bad pattern that's starting to emerge: Whoever is partnered with Myers ends upin the good and the rest of the defensemen not named Myers often end up in the bad. The coaching staff needs to find some stability on the other two pairings. Myers can't play 60 mins a game.
I dunno, the way he played on that nearly 2 min shift in the 2nd period...maybe Myers could play all 60

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:03 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
...then you missed him and Morrisonn having communication issues in the third. They had a lot of trouble, spent most of their shifts penned in their own zone below the goal line. And I wouldn't call either of Weber's penalties last night worthwhile -- sticking his knee out in front of a big-time diver and setting an obvious pick when his partner has already gotten separation.

Good? Zuccarello's clean pick of Connolly at the dot, then simply blowing past him on his way to the net, leaving Miller to miraculously swat the puck that had gone through him away was, I thought, typical of Connolly's play last night. Not only didn't he even scramble the draw, he had no one in the defensive zone (granted, same thing can be said for both Monty and Rej on that play).
Chain,

Let me elaborate a bit. I'm not saying Connolly played perfectly. As usual, he was a black hole on the offensive end. However, he was nowhere near as bad last night as people are making him out to be. He also made a few very nice defensive plays.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:47 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

We really didn't deserve two points there last night. Miller stole it for us.

It really was a nail biter at the end but who cares! Points is points!

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Chain,

Let me elaborate a bit. I'm not saying Connolly played perfectly. As usual, he was a black hole on the offensive end. However, he was nowhere near as bad last night as people are making him out to be. He also made a few very nice defensive plays.
I didn't see much of good defense but did see a few plays in their own zone where he was weak on the wall or poor in pursuit or lacking in effort that was typified by that one example.

I'd love him to get himself back on track. It would be "found" offense for this team and they can use everything they can.

03-02-2011, 12:04 PM
umwoz

I think what bothers me most about Connolly, isn't his lack of production. It's the fact that whenever you do see him in the frame watching a game on TV, He's flat footed coasting.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I didn't see much of good defense but did see a few plays in their own zone where he was weak on the wall or poor in pursuit or lacking in effort that was typified by that one example.

I'd love him to get himself back on track. It would be "found" offense for this team and they can use everything they can.
I know that in at least one case, he broke up a 2 on 1 by busting his butt coming back and diving to break up a pass. Obviously, he could be playing better. However, if folks are going to criticize his mistakes, than at least give him credit when he does make a good play. He's the current whipping boy.

Old
03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Small market teams get no respect.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:21 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I know that in at least one case, he broke up a 2 on 1 by busting his butt coming back and diving to break up a pass. Obviously, he could be playing better. However, if folks are going to criticize his mistakes, than at least give him credit when he does make a good play. He's the current whipping boy.
With Vanek, good defensive play is a bonus. It's expected that he scores and helps create offense.

With Timmy, his expectations are to provide offense (which he isn't doing) AND be defensively responsible. Partly because he's a center and partly because he's a good defensive player.

When Timmy makes a good defensive play, he's not going to get credit because its' expected AND because he's not providing much of anything else.

When Vanek makes a good defensive play, it will be noticed because it's unexpected (to a point) and because he contributes in other areas of the game at least.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:56 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

In S.A.T. analogy:

Tim Connolly :: Sabres fan expectations

that big Texas Supercollider thingy :: U.S. Taxpayer expectations

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:12 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
IIRC, he also created the odd man rush possibility by turning the puck over 5 feet inside the Rangers blue line. He better get back in that situation.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
I was right with you on that. Especially since Sekera got the puck before he took Dubinsky down which is the key anyway. Of course the Rag lovers in the booth never even touched on that.
I loved how they accuse Ennis of embellishing when the chip and chase play usually involves trying to jump by the defenseman before he closes the gap between you and the boards. Clearly if he tries to jump through and gets his legs wedged, he is not going to be able to right himself and will go down. That is a penalty every time. If their mancrush Ryan Callahan had done it they would have praised him to no end for his hustle.
They specifically said that Sekera "tackled" Dubinsky, as if Sekera could do that if he tried. I was expecting a bad call for the game, considering Forslund is such an idiot on FSN Carolinas, but I may end up having to watch him on Thurs as well. I do agree that the clear bias was beyond ridiculous and unprofessional.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:41 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
IIRC, he also created the odd man rush possibility by turning the puck over 5 feet inside the Rangers blue line. He better get back in that situation.
Oh agreed, but if he was the selfish, unmotivated player he gets demonized as being, then he would not have made the effort to get back. I'm just noting that his mistakes are much more emphasized than the good plays he does make.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
They specifically said that Sekera "tackled" Dubinsky, as if Sekera could do that if he tried. I was expecting a bad call for the game, considering Forslund is such an idiot on FSN Carolinas, but I may end up having to watch him on Thurs as well. I do agree that the clear bias was beyond ridiculous and unprofessional.
The thing I couldn't understand is what Olcyzk had against Buffalo as well (and even Engblom). I love how a Rangers weak call was a "hockey play" but a Sabres weak call was a legit penalty...Ennis embellished but Avery? *crickets*

But my favorite was when they showed the graphic about February goal scorers...they spent the entire time talking about the Islanders pair with a "oh btw Stafford who is playing in this game was up there too"...

I also loved how the stupid drop pass Grier made in the third was a "great defensive play by McDonagh"...NO. It was a stupid play by Grier, McDonagh is not the reason the puck was turned over. If that was due to McDonagh's awesome defense, then Butler's awesome defense must have stymied the 3-on-1 the Rangers had earlier.

If it was a Rangers broadcast I could live it with it. Local broadcasts should be a little bit homer and focus on the local team. But not a national broadcast. That was despicable.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
If it was a Rangers broadcast I could live it with it. Local broadcasts should be a little bit homer and focus on the local team. But not a national broadcast. That was despicable.
I've come to expect horrid broadcasts from Versus by now... Jow Beninati is the only personality on that channel who I like

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:51 PM
SoFFacet

Making the whole thing even more ridiculous is that Rangers fans apparently thought it was an excellent, fair and balanced broadcast.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Is the first thing the Sabres do when a new guy comes into the lockerroom introduce themselves with their bad nicknames?

Quote:
Originally Posted by from TBN
"That was great. The two points we needed," Boyes said. "Special teams are obviously very important, and we did a good job. Millsie back there made some huge saves for us. It was scrambly a bit in the third, but we found a way to win. That's important as we go on forward.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
The thing I couldn't understand is what Olcyzk had against Buffalo as well (and even Engblom). I love how a Rangers weak call was a "hockey play" but a Sabres weak call was a legit penalty...Ennis embellished but Avery? *crickets*

But my favorite was when they showed the graphic about February goal scorers...they spent the entire time talking about the Islanders pair with a "oh btw Stafford who is playing in this game was up there too"...

I also loved how the stupid drop pass Grier made in the third was a "great defensive play by McDonagh"...NO. It was a stupid play by Grier, McDonagh is not the reason the puck was turned over. If that was due to McDonagh's awesome defense, then Butler's awesome defense must have stymied the 3-on-1 the Rangers had earlier.

I do remember them saying that Grier didn't get it deep and that he didn't make a "veteran" play. My favorite part was after the 3rd Buffalo goal and before the 2nd Ranger goal, how they were talking about all the momentum that the Rangers had... right after they gave up a goal. You could even tell the difference between Forslund's goal call for both those goals. The Ranger's goal was a legitimate home team goal call and the Sabres were just that team that scored a goal.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:50 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDDY View Post
Is the first thing the Sabres do when a new guy comes into the lockerroom introduce themselves with their bad nicknames?
Those stupid nicknames they have make me want to throw up.

Aren't they grown men? Why do they talk about each other like they're in 4th grade?

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:40 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Oh agreed, but if he was the selfish, unmotivated player he gets demonized as being, then he would not have made the effort to get back. I'm just noting that his mistakes are much more emphasized than the good plays he does make.
Well, no one pointed out that giveaway in this thread, so your pointing out that defensive play was actually giving him too much credit since he created the situation.

His giving up on Satan on the season ending GWG last year combined with his pathetic season this year is plenty of ammunition to hate the guy right now. He's given the faithful NO reason to expect he'll affect the team in a positive way come crunch time.

Old
03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
I've come to expect horrid broadcasts from Versus by now... Jow Beninati is the only personality on that channel who I like
I'm with you (and I believe among the minority around here)...I like Joe. Unfortunately, he's no longer with the network.

Old
03-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I'm with you (and I believe among the minority around here)...I like Joe. Unfortunately, he's no longer with the network.
**expletive**

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:50 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDDY View Post
I was always partial to Pyattsy and Paillesy, the latter of which looks an awful lot like Palsy, which would explain some of Danny's on-ice performances.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote