HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Curtis Brown to Chicago

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2004, 07:16 PM
littleHossa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
4 players don't make a team ...
Maybe he should of said that they are significantly stronger than last year, give it a break.

Old
07-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Coffey77

Nice signings by the Blackhawks. 2 decent third liners in Barnaby and Brown and at a pretty good price too.

Old
07-02-2004, 08:08 PM
GaryU

Hey, we got 2 nice signings. Not enough to put us in the Cup finals, but the journey thru Chicago will be a little tougher next season. And Flame fans....did you guys want Brown???? Judging from your comments, I guess so.....OH...No one remembers who came in 2nd.

Old
07-02-2004, 08:21 PM
fullmetalninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
4 players don't make a team ...
True, but when you have one of the biggest hitters in the league on your 2nd line. A 3rd line that has Barnaby and Bell. And a Fourth that will have a goon-du-jour and Scott Nichol(and probably Matt Keith- who also forechecks real well) you can see where we can think that this hawk team will be more physical than in the 2-3 previous years.

-fullmetalninja

Old
07-02-2004, 09:19 PM
sabresfan65
Vegas Wants Hockey!!

The additions of Brown and Barnaby are nothing more than ways to fool the hockey illiterate fans of Chicago into buying tickets for a losing team. Brown had one good playoff game as a Buffalo Sabre and the country thinks the guy can play. He was supposed to be Michael Peca's replacement but that never even came close to happening. As for Barnaby, I heard he got a whoopin by a college kid. Do you really think there are many guys in the NHL scared of him? Oh, and he has no skill.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:44 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I've seen Bell fight twice against Tootoo, he turtled in the first fight and got rag dolled the second fight.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan65
The additions of Brown and Barnaby are nothing more than ways to fool the hockey illiterate fans of Chicago into buying tickets for a losing team.
The irony is delicious

Old
07-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Hawkalyzer

Quote:
The additions of Brown and Barnaby are nothing more than ways to fool the hockey illiterate fans of Chicago into buying tickets for a losing team.

Old
07-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
I'm not saying that Bell is a heavyweight, but he dropped Owen Nolan like 3rd period french. On the rare occasion he drops the gloves, Bell can take care of himself.
This would be the same Bell who elbowed Primeau, dropped the gloves, got punched once, and put his hands in the air and screamed "NO MAS!"; right?

Old
07-03-2004, 10:39 AM
GaryU

I get a kick out of all you fans (Buffalo) out there that think your non-playoff team is superior to another non-playoff team. Funny that you feel that way about a guy (Brown) that was there so long. Guess your Coach & GM can't judge talent either.

Old
07-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU
I get a kick out of all you fans (Buffalo) out there that think your non-playoff team is superior to another non-playoff team. Funny that you feel that way about a guy (Brown) that was there so long. Guess your Coach & GM can't judge talent either.
Way to group everyone in with one bad apple.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
The additions of Brown and Barnaby are nothing more than ways to fool the hockey illiterate fans of Chicago into buying tickets for a losing team. Brown had one good playoff game as a Buffalo Sabre and the country thinks the guy can play. He was supposed to be Michael Peca's replacement but that never even came close to happening.
He can most definitly play. Don't know where you've been but I think you've let the most recent times color your views of him as a player over his career. He has been an excellent player but like a couple of Sabres (McKee comes to mind) he has really fell flat in the last 2 years.

Couldn't pick it up in San Jose but there is a chance he will eventually turn it around. He's not a great player but he's a pretty good one.

Yes, some "illiterate fans", to borrow your expression, labelled him the next Mike Peca but that is not a knock on Brown if he is unable to meet unrealistic expectations. There is no way he can play like Peca even if he tried.

I think what happened is that he had a year, where people saw he was a Selke candidate and then expected him to repeat and started fantasizing and comparing him to Peca. He's not Peca but he has still had great performances in the past, much more than "one playoff game".

Old
07-03-2004, 03:15 PM
GaryU

My apologies to most Sabre fans. Just hard to understand why people waste their time commenting negatively about things they've only read about. '65' doesn't know anything about Chicago's situation, just as I'm not really up on Buffalo's.

Old
07-03-2004, 03:31 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU
Guess your Coach & GM can't judge talent either.
Not very well, anyway.

:lol :mad: :mad:

Old
07-03-2004, 03:34 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Brown is an average player......he'll go unnoticed in games......playoffs seems to turn it up though....not sure why or how.

Every NHL team has a Curtis Brown on it.....average player, some publicity, good in the locker room, usually shows up but won't see anything spectacular.

If Chicago wants Brown as a 3rd line center behind Arnason and Ruuttu, they could do worse than CuBro.

Old
07-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Considering he's a workmanlike player who doesn't complain, does what's asked of him and can play a variety of roles, Chicago has picked up a nice complimentary player who can fill a third line checking role and if he happens to generate some chemistry with some, may just surprise with his offense. Honestly, I could see them giving him a whirl at LW with Ruutu as the "defensively responsible" one on that line. He was originally a LWer and knows enough of the game to play more of a two-way role than we've seen in the last two years.

Dale Tallon might just have an eye for talent.

07-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau
I'm pretty sure Brown can't fight. I mean not that he isn't a good fighter or anything, but he's probably scared god will strike him down.
Voted most likely to "turn the other cheek"...

I don't think he's afraid of much, but I don't see him acting the part of a Sutter...

Old
07-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
The additions of Brown and Barnaby are nothing more than ways to fool the hockey illiterate fans of Chicago into buying tickets for a losing team. Brown had one good playoff game as a Buffalo Sabre and the country thinks the guy can play. He was supposed to be Michael Peca's replacement but that never even came close to happening. As for Barnaby, I heard he got a whoopin by a college kid. Do you really think there are many guys in the NHL scared of him? Oh, and he has no skill.

You underestimate Chicago fans. While these are two solid acquisitions for the third line, we know the team still has a lot of work to do. I doubt these signings sell even ten additional season tickets.

And you are ALSO severly underestimating both of these two players.

And this does increase our team toughness. With Bell, Ruutu, and Baranaby at forward and Vandermeer on defense we have some good two way players that dish it out. We do still need to add a big nasty stay at home defenseman.

If teh rumors that gauthier could be had for a second rounder were true, I would jump on that in a heart beat. Rookie Michael Barinka is another possibility.

Closed Thread