HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Preferred skate blade hollow?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2011, 01:57 PM
  #1
gintonic
Registered User
 
gintonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Preferred skate blade hollow?

I'm trying to play around with different hollows, but think I've found 7/16 to be best for me. So I was curious to know what others are using.

What's your favorite hollow, and why?

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:31 PM
  #2
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,386
vCash: 500
FBV 100/50 - lots of bite and glide

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:05 PM
  #3
kr580
Registered User
 
kr580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
11/16". Plenty of bite for me still while getting tons of glide. 7/16 is nuts, haha.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:44 PM
  #4
Pog Form
Registered User
 
Pog Form's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
5/8

Just enough bite so that I don't lose my edge.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:42 PM
  #5
canuck44
 
canuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
11/16". Plenty of bite for me still while getting tons of glide. 7/16 is nuts, haha.
Is 7/16" nuts? I use 3/8.

When i had T-blades, I used to get the second sharpest available, now that I'm back to regular blades I can't do the 1/2".

Weirdest thing is that I remember when I used to get skates sharpened before (5+ years ago, before I got t-blades), just the regular sharpening, which I assume was the standard 1/2" hollow, was so sharp at first that it was hard to stop. Maybe materials have changed or something but even at 3/8", I don't have that issue. I actually liked it the most where I just barely dulled out the skates enough that I could stop smoothly.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:51 PM
  #6
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
Is 7/16" nuts? I use 3/8.

When i had T-blades, I used to get the second sharpest available, now that I'm back to regular blades I can't do the 1/2".

Weirdest thing is that I remember when I used to get skates sharpened before (5+ years ago, before I got t-blades), just the regular sharpening, which I assume was the standard 1/2" hollow, was so sharp at first that it was hard to stop. Maybe materials have changed or something but even at 3/8", I don't have that issue. I actually liked it the most where I just barely dulled out the skates enough that I could stop smoothly.
7/16" is not nuts at all, that as close as it gets to a 1/2" hollow, which is indeed the most common. However, what you said about the 1/2" vs. 3/8" hollows doesn't make sense, cause a 3/8" hollow should actually have MORE, not less bite than a 1/2" hollow. Remember that a smaller radius means a deeper hollow, thus more bite, while a larger radius means a shallower/flatter hollow, thus less bite, but better glide. A 3/8" hollow is generally about as sharp/steep/small as anyone uses, that's considered a lot of bite. Personally I like a 3/4", fairly flat, but some guys like hollows as flat as 1".


Last edited by ponder: 01-14-2011 at 06:57 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
  #7
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
5/8

Just enough bite so that I don't lose my edge.
Same here.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:07 PM
  #8
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,806
vCash: 500
Also, as a general rule of thumb, if you're lighter you're putting less pressure on the ice, so you tend to need a smaller hollow (more bite), while if you're heavier a small hollow results in excess bite and too much friction, so a shallower hollow tends to work better for heavier skaters. But then there's just personal preference too, Paul Coffey for example was not particularly big but used ridiculously shallow hollows, up to 2", which is basically unheard of.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:20 PM
  #9
canuck44
 
canuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
7/16" is not nuts at all, that as close as it gets to a 1/2" hollow, which is indeed the most common. However, what you said about the 1/2" vs. 3/8" hollows doesn't make sense, cause a 3/8" hollow should actually have MORE, not less bite than a 1/2" hollow. Remember that a smaller radius means a deeper hollow, thus more bite, while a larger radius means a shallower/flatter hollow, thus less bite, but better glide. A 3/8" hollow is generally about as sharp/steep/small as anyone uses, that's considered a lot of bite. Personally I like a 3/4", fairly flat, but some guys like hollows as flat as 1".
I see how what I said could be misunderstood. When I used to get the 1/2" before, I found it was REALLY sharp.

When I get the 1/2" now, there's not enough bite for me. I'm content with the 3/8", but I might ask the shop to see if they can go maybe 5/16" or something to see if I like that better although I THINK someone told me they can't do any smaller than 3/8".

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:38 PM
  #10
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
I see how what I said could be misunderstood. When I used to get the 1/2" before, I found it was REALLY sharp.

When I get the 1/2" now, there's not enough bite for me. I'm content with the 3/8", but I might ask the shop to see if they can go maybe 5/16" or something to see if I like that better although I THINK someone told me they can't do any smaller than 3/8".
Ah I see, never mind, totally misunderstood you the first time. But yeah, I think 3/8" is about as deep a hollow as most shops will go.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:38 PM
  #11
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
I've been using a 1/2 for quite a while, but I think I may go with something a little flatter next time just to change it up.
--
Radius of hollow explained

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:00 AM
  #12
Placebo Effect
Registered User
 
Placebo Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mind
Country: China
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
FBV 100/50 - lots of bite and glide
Same here

And to the poster wondering about 7/16, that's far from nuts. One of my LHS has 7/16 as their "regular". Also, according to CBC during the Winter Classic, Crosby uses 7/16. Last I checked he isn't nuts and he's kind of good.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:31 AM
  #13
canuck44
 
canuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
Same here

And to the poster wondering about 7/16, that's far from nuts. One of my LHS has 7/16 as their "regular". Also, according to CBC during the Winter Classic, Crosby uses 7/16. Last I checked he isn't nuts and he's kind of good.
Kind of good? Ya think?

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:14 AM
  #14
kr580
Registered User
 
kr580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
I should have said 7/16" would be nuts for me. I'm used to a really shallow hollow. I'd snap my ankles if I tried to stop on a 7/16" or 3/8" cut.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:41 AM
  #15
bokchoy
Registered User
 
bokchoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
9/16 or 1/2 for me.

bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:30 AM
  #16
umpft
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Can anybody explain those numbers to a newbie? (that'd be me) All they tell me over here (Europe, CH) is that I'm getting a (metric?) "4", no idea what that means except low number harder to stop, high number harder not to slide away.

If I know how you measure your blades I can try to make some sense out of the units they use over here.

I've made a picture if that is any help..


umpft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:26 AM
  #17
kr580
Registered User
 
kr580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580


The standard sharpening is called a Radius of Hollow (ROH) which means the stone used to sharpen the blade has that size radius on it. The curve of the hollow is exaggerated for visual representations sake but that's the basic idea. The larger the circle, the flatter the curve (1/2"). The smaller the circle the more it digs in and gives a deep hollow (5/16").

I'm not sure you'll get an answer to your measurements as blades are rarely the same exact width and the differences between sharpening radii are TINY. By the sounds of it they just number their sharpenings from deep (more bite) to shallow (less bite; flatter). I doubt '4' is an actual measurement of any kind. Maybe ask them for an explanation of exactly what the 4 stands for next time you go in?

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:05 AM
  #18
umpft
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post


The standard sharpening is called a Radius of Hollow (ROH) which means the stone used to sharpen the blade has that size radius on it. The curve of the hollow is exaggerated for visual representations sake but that's the basic idea. The larger the circle, the flatter the curve (1/2"). The smaller the circle the more it digs in and gives a deep hollow (5/16").
Thanks for the great explanation!

I've asked the last time because before they just did it without saying a single word, so I assumed there was one type of blade sharpening... then I started realizing that there were some differences between each time I had the skates sharpened and I noticed the others where putting a piece of paper with a number in the skates while dropping them in...

I will inquire further in this matter.

umpft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:07 PM
  #19
Avshockey85
Registered User
 
Avshockey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UT
Country: United States
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
3/8 for me!

Avshockey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:40 AM
  #20
GoldenTriangle
 
GoldenTriangle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
I use a 5/8 hollow.

I'm a bigger guy at 6' 1", 210lbs and I'm very good on my edges so this has given me the best bite/glide balance.

GoldenTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:52 AM
  #21
toddmanley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTriangle View Post
I use a 5/8 hollow.

I'm a bigger guy at 6' 1", 210lbs and I'm very good on my edges so this has given me the best bite/glide balance.
Same for me and I'm 6'9", 225lbs.

toddmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:17 AM
  #22
GoldenTriangle
 
GoldenTriangle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmanley View Post
Same for me and I'm 6'9", 225lbs.
Do you play defense for the Bruins?

GoldenTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:36 PM
  #23
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
I initially tried 1/2" for a long time and then moved on to FBV 100/50, but have finally settled on 5/8". The 1/2" did not seem very stable to me and while I liked the FBV, it seemed that my blades were getting dull rather quickly. With the advice from a great individual, I tried the 5/8" and have never looked back.

On a side note, I just got my skates sharpened (after not sharpening them for at least 3-5 months) and it was almost like having new skates in last night's game.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:29 PM
  #24
Hounsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A wonderful location
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 500
Goalie using 3/8

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
  #25
canuck44
 
canuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounsy View Post
Goalie using 3/8
Interesting. I thought goalies didn't like such sharp skates

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.