HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Insight from an Independent Agent

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2004, 08:19 AM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Insight from an Independent Agent

I have a friend who is an independent agent. He broke his personal record in the Draft with having four of his prospects picked (Phoenix, Chicago, NJ, & Boston). He mainly focuses on prep school and college kids.

Here are his thoughts on the NYR Draft:

Montoya:

Quote:
I've seen Montoya play a ton, and he is an agressive, great athlete. He's
big, quick, and plays the puck very well. I spoke to the coaches at
Michigan yesterday, and they say that the Rangers are trying to sign him now
so that he can play in Hartford during the lockout and maybe with the
Rangers later in the season. Didn't they learn anything from throwing
Blackburn in too early?
Olver:

Quote:
Darrin Olver, one of the second round picks, is very skilled. I'm guessing
that he will be a great college player in the Mike York mold in 2-3 years.
Weather he can do what York has done in the NHL is hard to say, but he looks
good at this point.
Thought you'd enjoy.

Old
07-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Damn, I hope that isn't true about Montoya. But it would be just like us. Quick fix; impatience; dive right in where others fear to swim because it's been proven to be very dangerous water.

Old
07-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
Damn, I hope that isn't true about Montoya. But it would be just like us. Quick fix; impatience; dive right in where others fear to swim because it's been proven to be very dangerous water.
Hopefully he is wrong. Right now we have a great situation if there is or isn't a lockout. Blackburn starts in Hartford and develops, Montoya develops at Michigan and Lundqvist over in Europe. Our three best prospects and all are playing full time.

I do hope he is right about Olver. Could use another York here!

Old
07-02-2004, 09:00 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
Hopefully he is wrong. Right now we have a great situation if there is or isn't a lockout. Blackburn starts in Hartford and develops, Montoya develops at Michigan and Lundqvist over in Europe. Our three best prospects and all are playing full time.

I do hope he is right about Olver. Could use another York here!
Exactly.You couldn't hope for a better situation if there is a lockout for our goalies.Let each 1 get major icetime.

As for Olver, if he turns out to be a poor mans York I'd be overjoyed.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Potted Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
I've heard this term a lot. Olver can be a poor man's York. Why do we want a "poor man's" anything. That just means we have second rate players. I want good players, not players who are shadows of better players.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Two things I posted at that other board:

Quote:
This agent is a very good friend of Yorkie's (not his agent). He means that Olver is in the York mold in the very best sense. Works hard, does what he is asked, and has a great attitude. May not score a ton, but will always go hard on every shift, has good hockey sense, etc.
Quote:
Regading AM, I wonder if the NYR feel like the UM team is good defensively, that AM won't face the shots he needs to further his development?

I'm guessing that at the end of the day, AM goes back to Michigan for a year.

The other thing that this makes me wonder is: is Blackie going to be able to play? Maybe they are pursuing AM so hard b/c Blackie may, in fact, be done. I don't WANT Blackie to be done, but there must be some method to thier madness here.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:37 AM
Fletch

Don't mind Montoya going to Hartford...

There's a big difference between signing him and sending him to Hartford and having Blackburn playing in the NHL. Montoya's already been an NCAA starter for a top NCAA team for two seasons. He's going to be a junior already. I don't think it's that much of a leap for a guy with two years' experience to make the pro jump.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Potted Plant

The thing with Montoya though is this: if we get his hopes up about turning pro and then he ends up not doing that, he may see going back to Michigan as a consolation prize, and it may hurt his attitude and confidence. I'd rather see him be excited about going back to Michigan.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
The thing with Montoya though is this: if we get his hopes up about turning pro and then he ends up not doing that, he may see going back to Michigan as a consolation prize, and it may hurt his attitude and confidence. I'd rather see him be excited about going back to Michigan.
I don't think his mother raised him to look at Michigan as a consolation prize. One of the greatest things that have impressed me about Montoya is his attitude and he doesn't take anything for granted. The kid is happy doing whatever he is doing. There is no ego or chip on his shoulder whatsoever. Seems to me he is a VERY good team player and would be happy at Michigan or in Hartford

Old
07-02-2004, 09:43 AM
gkrangers

If Montoya expects to jump right into the NHL and is dissapointed going to the AHL then hes got issues...

I don't see a problem playing him in Hartford...but where does Blackburn go? Right back to the NHL?

Old
07-02-2004, 09:46 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
There's a big difference between signing him and sending him to Hartford and having Blackburn playing in the NHL. Montoya's already been an NCAA starter for a top NCAA team for two seasons. He's going to be a junior already. I don't think it's that much of a leap for a guy with two years' experience to make the pro jump.
Fletch,
I agree with you. I watched many a Michigan game as I have DirecTV and this kid is ready to advance to Hartford. He is technically sound and the level of competition will be higher. IMO, he needs to work on his decision making, especially when to come out and play the puck. To me he wonders too much and needs to stay in the crease more. But that can be worked on.

BUT if Blackburn is fully recovered, Montoya should stay in college and work on development there. With all the talk of Montoya going to Hartford, I truly believe Blackie IS NOT progressing as quick as we seem to think he is. From personal experience, one of the slowest healing injuries is a nerve injury. It may never heal completely and he may never return to the caliber of play before the injury.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Old
07-02-2004, 09:50 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
I've heard this term a lot. Olver can be a poor man's York. Why do we want a "poor man's" anything. That just means we have second rate players. I want good players, not players who are shadows of better players.
Maybe because not everybody can be a Mike York or as a high a quality player and being that you don't fill out a roster with 1st line players what is wrong with a poor man's version of a 1st liner playing on a 3rd line???

Your comment makes no sense.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
This is exactly why i commented about this pick on draft day. #36 was way too high for a guy who seemingly could be a Mike York like player.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Fletch

Li...

I don't think the organization can make a decision that way (meaining, if Blackie's healthy, Montoya goes to college). That's just for convenience and is not in anybody's best interest except for Blackburn. He hasn't played in a year. He's not fully-recovered. He is not being given the job, even in the AHL, automatically. If Montoya's ready, he has every right to compete for that position. If he wins it, it should be his. Unfortunately there are going to be some tough decisions to be made. Making the correct decisions out of the tough ones is what's going to make this team successful. The Rangers can't afford to wait until the last minute to see if Blackburn's fully-healed. They can't afford to wait until the last minute to determine if the year off materially affected his development. They need to move forward with building the team.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:08 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I don't think the organization can make a decision that way (meaining, if Blackie's healthy, Montoya goes to college). That's just for convenience and is not in anybody's best interest except for Blackburn. He hasn't played in a year. He's not fully-recovered. He is not being given the job, even in the AHL, automatically. If Montoya's ready, he has every right to compete for that position. If he wins it, it should be his. Unfortunately there are going to be some tough decisions to be made. Making the correct decisions out of the tough ones is what's going to make this team successful. The Rangers can't afford to wait until the last minute to see if Blackburn's fully-healed. They can't afford to wait until the last minute to determine if the year off materially affected his development. They need to move forward with building the team.
I agree Fletch, I just believe that with all the talk of Montoya going to Hartford, Blackburn is not as healed as some think. JMHO.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Potted Plant

Quote:
Maybe because not everybody can be a Mike York or as a high a quality player and being that you don't fill out a roster with 1st line players what is wrong with a poor man's version of a 1st liner playing on a 3rd line???

Your comment makes no sense.
How about instead of putting a "poor man's Mike York" on the third line, we instead put a "rich man's Craig Conroy", i.e. a player suitable for 3rd line play, there. When this team is good again, it won't be because we put players who could be playing on the 1st line for an expansion team on the third line. It will be because we have very good players for their roles all through the lineup.

None of this is meant to disparage Olver, who apparently might end up having a Mike York or a Doug Weight-like career. I just don't want us to start getting excited because we might end up with a guy who's "like Mike York, only less so."

Old
07-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I think all we really have to worry about with Blackie is the injury itself, not the lost time. That is just a blip on his career radar if the injury is taken care of.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:14 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

I'm confused don't u have to be like 20 or something to play in Hartford?

Old
07-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
I'm confused don't u have to be like 20 or something to play in Hartford?

You have to be 20 to play in the AHL, if you were drafted from a junior team(OHL, WHL)

Last edited by Unknownbutfamous: 07-02-2004 at 10:33 AM.
Old
07-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Fletch

I hear ya L.I....

and who really knows. This regime ain't gonna be honest with anybody.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:33 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
This is exactly why i commented about this pick on draft day. #36 was way too high for a guy who seemingly could be a Mike York like player.

Yeah, I'd be devasted selcting a Mike York at the 36th slot in an unpredicatble draft year.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Yeah, I'd be devasted selcting a Mike York at the 36th slot in an unpredicatble draft year.
Unpredictable if you didn't see almost all of these players play last year. I did. For the most part, I can live with all the other picks, I realize thats the way it goes. Some teams prefer one kind of player to another, no problem.

I watched Olver on 3 seperate occassions. I liked what i saw, in fact i witnessed him score a goal against Montoya. But did I think he was worthy of the #36th overall player?

You want to talk about predictable, go read my draft preview, i knew they were going to take this guy, but not as high as #36. To me it shows they weren't interested in the best player available and i'll be the first to admit i'm being sour about this selection. Maybe it has to do with other NCAA Centers i've had to watch this team take too high in the 2nd round.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:56 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous
You have to be 20 to play in the AHL, if you were drafted from a junior team(OHL, WHL)
Ok thanks. More players need to go to college then. It's a good loophole.

Old
07-02-2004, 12:07 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Unpredictable if you didn't see almost all of these players play last year. I did. For the most part, I can live with all the other picks, I realize thats the way it goes. Some teams prefer one kind of player to another, no problem.

I watched Olver on 3 seperate occassions. I liked what i saw, in fact i witnessed him score a goal against Montoya. But did I think he was worthy of the #36th overall player?

You want to talk about predictable, go read my draft preview, i knew they were going to take this guy, but not as high as #36. To me it shows they weren't interested in the best player available and i'll be the first to admit i'm being sour about this selection. Maybe it has to do with other NCAA Centers i've had to watch this team take too high in the 2nd round.

U'r saying they weren't interested in the best player available. How do u know that? Maybe u think he's not the best player available, maybe the pre-draft rankings don't believe that either, but maybe they do. I remember reading maybe even here that other teams were looking to draft him in the second round, and maybe they were worried they were gonna lose him if they waited.

Closed Thread