HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price - Thoroughbred

Old
03-03-2011, 08:18 AM
m00ks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
I am still one, as well as a Price one...

Last season was Halak season and this one is Price, where is the problem beside attempting to troll ?
There is no trolling. He's right. Half the fanbase wanted him shipped out of town and the rest thought he'd never flourish under the microscope. He was the scapegoat last year and now he's proving everyone wrong.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xduckiex View Post
Cause that' worked out so well for the Islanders.....

I'm all for locking up Price long term, just not that long at once
Dipietro was injury prone before he signed that contract, they overlooked it. His weak performances have more to do with all of the time hes missed rather than his ability.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:27 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthgear View Post
Have you seen what's in front of him compared to Price ???
Give Thomas credit the Bruins get out shot all the time. He gets the job done. When Thomas has a great year Chara looks like a Norris D when he's off like last season, Chara looks regular. It does a lot for the D corps to have a goalie that covers up your mistakes and allows you to pinch in the offense.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Pascal

We don't hear much from the Halak fanboys these days.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Santino

i am not surprised one bit as to how well Price is playing. What i do have to say is good job to all of you who had faith and patience and continued supporting him, as i did, from the beggining. i took a lot of **** from people past 2 seasons, and it feels good to shut the impatient, unfaithful and illogical fans up, as well as non hab fans who had an opinion on our goalie situation. Maybe this should be a lesson to many, to exercise a little faith and patience in our young players, especially those with the higher ceiling.

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:23 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I know..it's funny because they were out in full force at the start of the season when Halak was playing really well, but now have all pretty much dissapeared...

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:24 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
i am not surprised one bit as to how well Price is playing. What i do have to say is good job to all of you who had faith and patience and continued supporting him, as i did, from the beggining. i took a lot of **** from people past 2 seasons, and it feels good to shut the impatient, unfaithful and illogical fans up, as well as non hab fans who had an opinion on our goalie situation. Maybe this should be a lesson to many, to exercise a little faith and patience in our young players, especially those with the higher ceiling.
I still remember when other fanbase said that Price was overrated and Mason >>> Price.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I still remember when other fanbase said that Price was overrated and Mason >>> Price.
i remember that. i heard a lot of things last year. i often heard that price ''sucks''. really?

Old
03-03-2011, 09:37 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Agree completely but MVP is usually linked to team success.

Thomas does have the stats and the most telling one is save %. He's having a great year and without him the B's would be where we are. Without Price we'd be were the Laffs are or worse. Would the B's be better with Price.... I hope we never find out.
Agreed completely. They're just the better overall team. With Gorges/Markov I don't think we're necessarily a better overall team, but I still think maybe we could be ahead of them despite that. (standings)

Reasoning: Markov, Price, Gorges and of course Plek would even be having a better season with Markov, Gomez especially I'd say.

Markov is like the brain of the team and Gorges is the heart. Without either this team just thinks with their dick (Gill I'd liked to hope)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:43 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
And Rask and to a lesser degree Gustavsson and a handful of other young goalies. Price shut them up and in the future the same fans will have to cheer for him in international, best on best tournies!

GoHomez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:53 AM
neofury*

Quote:
I'll one up you, exercise a little faith and patience in our management. They want the team to be good too. They aren't just sitting there collecting pay checks and saying "**** it". They genuinely want to win too and even if you don't like JM you can't deny the results this season, last season and in the playoffs thus far.

Until I'm given a reason to really doubt our management, I'll take the moves they make with a grain of salt. If something doesn't look quite right to me, I'm going to sit back and realize these guys know more about whose going to be a star or whose going to be a good goalie or what line will do well, then I do.

This being said I think our team considering all the issues we've had has performed amazingly. It isn't just Price but he's a huge part of that.

This is why I truly think Lars Eller will one day be a star player for us and the whole Halak deal will possibly go down as one of the most one-sided trades in NHL history. It isn't that I doubt Halak, it's just that I think Lars Eller will one day be that good. Management went after a young Price, now a young Eller too.

Old
03-03-2011, 09:56 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
I'm glad. Also slightly proud that there's not a million Price > Halak threads showing up in the main board. Nice to see the Price fanboys are more mature.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I'll one up you, exercise a little faith and patience in our management. They want the team to be good too. They aren't just sitting there collecting pay checks and saying "**** it". They genuinely want to win too and even if you don't like JM you can't deny the results this season, last season and in the playoffs thus far.

Until I'm given a reason to really doubt our management, I'll take the moves they make with a grain of salt. If something doesn't look quite right to me, I'm going to sit back and realize these guys know more about whose going to be a star or whose going to be a good goalie or what line will do well, then I do.

This being said I think our team considering all the issues we've had has performed amazingly. It isn't just Price but he's a huge part of that.

This is why I truly think Lars Eller will one day be a star player for us and the whole Halak deal will possibly go down as one of the most one-sided trades in NHL history. It isn't that I doubt Halak, it's just that I think Lars Eller will one day be that good. Management went after a young Price, now a young Eller too.
agree 100%, couldnt have said it better myself.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Not quite sure about the one sidedness of that trade.
I expect Eller to be good to great as well. I feel this kid, once a little more mature, with more size, ice time and better wingers, will be solid for us (better than what Boyes, Backes, or any other top6 player from St-Louis people wanted).
That being said, I expect Halak to become a good #1 too. I believe it would be a massive disappointment if Halak doesn't end up fulfilling that role.

I said it before many times, I feel this trade was fair in terms of value exchanged.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:07 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I like Price and all, but if your team scores 3, or more goals, you better damn well win a majority of the games.
Roy would always say that in the locker room. Score 3 tonight and I'll win this one for you guys.
and it worked.

that's called consistency.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:18 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Price is playing good but way overworked.I give him credit,cause he was booed alot last yr .The kid has guts,But Halak was the guy that pulled the upset off vs Pens and Caps.,Price has to do it when it counts still.Its same for Bruins with Thomas,regular season stats mean nothing when playoffs start.Thomas owes Boston a good run.,he choked that series away vs Canes with Walkers softie in OT game 7.Anyhow,see ya'll in playoffs

22Brad Park is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I expect Eller to be good to great as well. I feel this kid, once a little more mature, with more size, ice time and better wingers, will be solid for us (better than what Boyes, Backes, or any other top6 player from St-Louis people wanted).
That being said, I expect Halak to become a good #1 too. I believe it would be a massive disappointment if Halak doesn't end up fulfilling that role.

I said it before many times, I feel this trade was fair in terms of value exchanged.
In terms of value exchange i agree it was fair. But as for ''who will win the trade'' if Lars develops into the player we think he should be, and Price continues his stellar goaltending AND if Schultz can be that gritty 3rd liner as he is expected to be then there is no doubt we win the trade. Halak is a good goalie, will he be a great number 1 goalie, consistantly, every season, carrying a decent to heavy workload of over 50-60 games? Only time will tell, as it will on this trade. I personally don't think Halak will be a great number 1 goalie, but an adequate one at best...just take this year as an example. OK now he is injured, but before his injury both he and Price were playing in back of an injury depleted team yet Price has come out on top this season, and has been much more dominant, solid, consistant than Halak has. But like we all know, we wont be able to tell who won this trade for another 2-3 seasons, i still feel Montreal will take this one

Old
03-03-2011, 11:36 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Oh I'm not saying it will go down as one of the most one sided trades, just saying it could.

Two possible scenarios:

1) Eller becomes the next Sundin/Mikko, puts up crazy numbers and is a lock for our roster for years to come. On top of that Schultz turns out to be a useful 4th liner who can scrap and defend teammates. Halak for whatever reason never brings St. Louis the success they traded him for, either injuries, bad luck, etc.

2) Halak becomes a future top 5 goalie in the NHL, Eller is a bust. Schultz a nobody.

I'm not saying it'll happen but if either scenario does happen which it could, it'll be a really one-sided deal.

You're probably right though, Halak will likely be a top 15 while Eller pans out for us as well. I'm confident in Halak but I will say this, I've seen enough one hit wonder goalies in my day to have some doubt. With goalies it's really hard to judge. You are probably right though, both players have tremendous upside. Halak has proven a lot more too.

Quote:
In terms of value exchange i agree it was fair. But as for ''who will win the trade'' if Lars develops into the player we think he should be, and Price continues his stellar goaltending AND if Schultz can be that gritty 3rd liner as he is expected to be then there is no doubt we win the trade. Halak is a good goalie, will he be a great number 1 goalie, consistantly, every season, carrying a decent to heavy workload of over 50-60 games? Only time will tell, as it will on this trade. I personally don't think Halak will be a great number 1 goalie, but an adequate one at best...just take this year as an example. OK now he is injured, but before his injury both he and Price were playing in back of an injury depleted team yet Price has come out on top this season, and has been much more dominant, solid, consistant than Halak has. But like we all know, we wont be able to tell who won this trade for another 2-3 seasons, i still feel Montreal will take this one
I don't disagree but I still think our management deserves a lot of credit in that regard too. They must be doing something right, something St. Louis clearly isn't doing.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Santino

Quote:
Oh I'm not saying it will go down as one of the most one sided trades, just saying it could.

Two possible scenarios:

1) Eller becomes the next Sundin/Mikko, puts up crazy numbers and is a lock for our roster for years to come. On top of that Schultz turns out to be a useful 4th liner who can scrap and defend teammates. Halak for whatever reason never brings St. Louis the success they traded him for, either injuries, bad luck, etc.

2) Halak becomes a future top 5 goalie in the NHL, Eller is a bust. Schultz a nobody.

I'm not saying it'll happen but if either scenario does happen which it could, it'll be a really one-sided deal.

You're probably right though, Halak will likely be a top 15 while Eller pans out for us as well. I'm confident in Halak but I will say this, I've seen enough one hit wonder goalies in my day to have some doubt. With goalies it's really hard to judge. You are probably right though, both players have tremendous upside. Halak has proven a lot more too.

I don't disagree but I still think our management deserves a lot of credit in that regard too. They must be doing something right, something St. Louis clearly isn't doing.
We can also thank JM for that. Contrary to what most HF posters and members of media think, JM is a damn good coach and his (boring) system works.

Old
03-03-2011, 12:43 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
I remember not long ago HF main board was up in arms saying Price wasn't All Star caliber and shouldn't be there.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:58 PM
KareyPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
And Rask and to a lesser degree Gustavsson and a handful of other young goalies. Price shut them up and in the future the same fans will have to cheer for him in international, best on best tournies!
Hahahaha gustavsson living in toronto you should have hered the idiots last year calling price a bust they were saying gustavsson would be better and that rask mason all these young goalies were better so i had too keep defending price thats why im a big price fan and i believe he would do well in montreal thats why i was sooooo happy they didnt trade him last summer......... Ps the idiots in toronto were saying how gustavsson stats we better than lundqvist at his age or something they thought gustavsson would become better than lundqvist

Last edited by KareyPrice: 03-03-2011 at 01:06 PM.
KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Hart and Vezina candidate
The Habs' candidate for both trophies, but Price is a longshot to win either one.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
FrankMTL

Well, he's missing 11 wins to reach 100 regular season wins in his career. Hopefully he can get it done this year. Would be amazing to reach that feat at the age of 23..

Old
03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Well, he's missing 11 wins to reach 100 regular season wins in his career. Hopefully he can get it done this year. Would be amazing to reach that feat at the age of 23..
11 more wins this year would also give him 40 for the season, won't it? However, it'd be tough to reach with only 18 games remaining. We can certainly win 11 out of 18, but I think Auld will get his fair share of starts too.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
11 more wins this year would also give him 40 for the season, won't it? However, it'd be tough to reach with only 18 games remaining. We can certainly win 11 out of 18, but I think Auld will get his fair share of starts too.
Out of 18 games, I think Auld plays 2 or 3 max... But ya agree, it'll be tough.