HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 64 | Detroit Red Wings @ Anaheim Ducks | 10:00 PM EST | FS-D (HD)

Old
03-03-2011, 12:41 AM
nik jr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
On the powerplay front, the Duck announcers mentioned something I didn't know: the past two seasons,combined, Z has just 9 powerplay goals. The thee seasons before that he had at least eleven each season.
i have noted that elsewhere on this site. it is an important change from zetterberg of 40g to zetterberg of 30g.

'06: 17
'07: 11 (in 63 games)
'08: 16
'09: 12
'10: 3
'11: 6

but 11g in 63 games does not really show how well zetterberg was playing before his injury. he had a weak start to that season, but in the nearly 2 months before his injury in '07, zetterberg was the highest scoring player in the NHL, and was generally dominating play.

38p (16g, 22a), +13 in his last 20 games. 6 of his 11 PP goals were in that 20 games.

at the same time (plus 2 games after zetterberg's injury), datsyuk scored 35p (8g, 27a) and was +14 in 22 games.

zetterberg also scored nearly 2p per game early in '08.

in the 3 stars thread, sarcastro noted that players below the hash marks on PP are not usually in shooting position, which seems true.
zetterberg's lower PP goals is related. he used to score fairly often on PP, often with his one timer, but rarely does now.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Like I wrote at their board 9 PP!! opportounities and we didn't score so well if you can't put the game away, you'll lose.

Its obvious this team has major problems against hard nosed teams...

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:46 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Modano ruined a lot on the powerplays, he just look awkward and lost... rafalski was needed on the pp

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

The Powerless Play was the downfall of this game.

What happened to the team that just 2 seasons ago was one of the top PPs in NHL.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:12 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
Honestly I don't care if that penalty shot was a terrible call. For all I'm concerned the penalty might as well have been "failing at too many power plays in a row". Give them the goal, give them the game, they can have it.

Horrible game, I can't believe we can't generate any threatening offense against the Ducks with Dan freaking Ellis in net and 9 ******* powerplays including a min+ 5v3 and a min+ 4v3. What a joke.

And I hate blaming a goalie when your team can't score more than 1 lousy goal, but that should have been an easy shutout. The goal he allowed was lame as hell.

****** game all around, no stars for anybody. Wings go home and think about what you done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
Eh you're right he made some good saves, but the one he let in just pissed me off. Their offense wasn't even in the zone and it was shot in from practically the blue line.
You had me, and then you lost me. Salei screened out Howard on the goal and it was a slapper that found the corner of the net. It came from the blueline, but he didn't see it. And it's not like he was looking somewhere else. Salei needs to either make some kind of play on Blake or get out of the way there. He seemed like he was content just to position himself in front of Blake, but not make an attempt to get in front of the puck or use his reach to take Blake's space away.

It's not like it went through his legs or tucked under his arm, either - it found the top corner. And with all the great, tough saves he made the rest of the way, he was the reason they even got a point in this one.

The power play was the culprit here. I'm not even sore about Ryan's dive, because the Wings should have won this game by three in regulation anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
Yeah, Perry screwed the shot up and put it right in Howard's glove, did he do a good job to keep his glove there, yeah, since he was moving across a bit, but really, the lack of goal there is all on Perry cause he is a useless d-bag.
Perry did exactly what he wanted on that shot - he got Howard leaning and elevated the puck. Howard made a great play to keep his pad and glove stacked. If it had gone off the pad, you might have a point about Perry screwing up - but it went into the basket of the glove. Any higher and he probably blows it over the bar.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:14 AM
MissNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
That, and they don't do anything once they get set-up. It's like no one wants to take the lead. Pass, pass, pass, pass. Then pass. Shoot? No, one more pass. And then pass again. I mean, I get as annoyed as anyone when people at the rink scream "SHOOOOT!" every time, all the time, even when the PP is on. But this has been ridiculous lately. Open shooting lanes are being passed up. Almost seems like they aren't even practicing their PP.
Besides them "practicing" their passing skills on a PP they also need to learn to win face off's when on a PP. I don't know how many times I've counted them not winning a face off, other team wins it, shoots puck down ice, we take our time skating down there and then struggle to set up.

MissNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Was this loss at the hands of the NHL..

Anaheim now 1 pt back from #8

at the NHL not the fact that the Red Wings sucked last night....

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:24 AM
gogreenbay

I hope the Ducks make the playoffs, they're the kind of team that's fun to watch (even more so since the trade deadline) and good for the game.

Come on Franzen, 7 shots? I get it, you're a coward and you play like you're Hudler's size, great - at least make up for it by finding the back of the net. What's it been, a dozen games?

gogreenbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
Was this loss at the hands of the NHL..

Anaheim now 1 pt back from #8

at the NHL not the fact that the Red Wings sucked last night....
1 for 9 and 93 seconds of 5 on 3 without a shot.

This loss belongs to the Wings' power play, and to no one else.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
TheOtherOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
You had me, and then you lost me. Salei screened out Howard on the goal and it was a slapper that found the corner of the net. It came from the blueline, but he didn't see it. And it's not like he was looking somewhere else. Salei needs to either make some kind of play on Blake or get out of the way there. He seemed like he was content just to position himself in front of Blake, but not make an attempt to get in front of the puck or use his reach to take Blake's space away.

It's not like it went through his legs or tucked under his arm, either - it found the top corner. And with all the great, tough saves he made the rest of the way, he was the reason they even got a point in this one.
Yea to be honest I chalk it up in part to being a knee jerk reaction post. Maybe it wasn't completely Howard's fault. The goal just pissed me off in general because it was a weak shot from the blue line with the Ducks players not even in the offensive zone yet. It's like one of those dump ins Zetterberg is always putting on opposing goalies and you never expect them to go in.

Maybe it's Howard's fault, maybe it's Salei's fault, probably it's a combination of both, but it shouldn't have went in.

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:22 PM
probertrules24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogreenbay View Post
I hope the Ducks make the playoffs, they're the kind of team that's fun to watch (even more so since the trade deadline) and good for the game.

Come on Franzen, 7 shots? I get it, you're a coward and you play like you're Hudler's size, great - at least make up for it by finding the back of the net. What's it been, a dozen games?
The guy is second on this team in hits. I would only guess what you think of the rest of the team.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
The guy is second on this team in hits. I would only guess what you think of the rest of the team.
Lilja used to have pretty decent hit numbers, too, but I wouldn't call him physical.

03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Lilja used to have pretty decent hit numbers, too, but I wouldn't call him physical.
Hits are a pretty ludicrous statistic anyway. Nobody has a proper definition, and so the accounting varies wildly from city to city. Then you've got games like last night, where the Duck statistician had the Ducks up 25-8 on hits after 2, and ending the game up 37-17.

I'm pretty sure the Wild stat guy gives Clutterbuck a "hit" every time he sneezes on someone, but other teams don't all do it that way.

Old
03-03-2011, 04:06 PM
gogreenbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
Yeah, he's a monster out there, that Franzen. I'm sure his "hits" have his opponents keeping their heads up. He's keeping everyone off their game by just bringing that presence. Everybody knows when Johan takes a shift and they know where he is on the ice at all times. Sure, he's not scoring, but the intense intimidation factor he brings is keeping our opponents from scoring.

gogreenbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNHL View Post
Besides them "practicing" their passing skills on a PP they also need to learn to win face off's when on a PP. I don't know how many times I've counted them not winning a face off, other team wins it, shoots puck down ice, we take our time skating down there and then struggle to set up.
Absolutely. More often than not, it seems like they are 30-45 seconds into a PP before they gain and establish the zone. And that almost always starts with a faceoff loss.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:54 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogreenbay View Post
Yeah, he's a monster out there, that Franzen. I'm sure his "hits" have his opponents keeping their heads up. He's keeping everyone off their game by just bringing that presence. Everybody knows when Johan takes a shift and they know where he is on the ice at all times. Sure, he's not scoring, but the intense intimidation factor he brings is keeping our opponents from scoring.
Just curious, who on the Wings isn't a coward?

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote