HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Wheres the Loyalty to Lappy

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2004, 11:58 AM
OC Kings Fan 24

vCash: 500
Wheres the Loyalty to Lappy

This makes me sick.. Lappy played his ass off for this team. Countless times he dropped the gloves against bigger and stronger players. Worked hard every single night. He did so much for this organization. So much for the fans. Yet he finally gets what he deserves and people on this chat cant wait for him to get his ass kicked. This is totally ********. Yet we wonder why our players want to play elswhere. For a minute there I thought I was at the LA Lakers fan forum. He is gonna loved hearing the boos at Staples. I thought Lakers fans were bad...

Old
07-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Kings Fan 24
This makes me sick.. Lappy played his ass off for this team. Countless times he dropped the gloves against bigger and stronger players. Worked hard every single night. He did so much for this organization. So much for the fans. Yet he finally gets what he deserves and people on this chat cant wait for him to get his ass kicked. This is totally ********. Yet we wonder why our players want to play elswhere. For a minute there I thought I was at the LA Lakers fan forum. He is gonna loved hearing the boos at Staples. I thought Lakers fans were bad...
I'm thrilled for Ian. He's a great guy and he deserves to be rewarded and play for a team that wants to win a cup.

The Kings obviously wanna wait and see what the CBA looks like before they make any moves, or maybe they've decided to re-build. Either way, Lappy deserves props and a huge ovation from the people here.

Old
07-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Who ever said they were going to boo him? Who ever said that they didn't appreciate what he did for this team? It's a part of the game, if you go to another team and you are a tough guy, you are going to have to mix it up with your former teammates. Hey he opted out of his contract after the Kings made a fair offer. It's not the Kings fault he's leaving, it's his. . . dont be all butt hurt, its a business.

Old
07-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Fro the Love

Send a message via AIM to Fro the Love
Lakers fans? I guess you've forgotten about Rob Blake and others that Kings' fans generally berate. Personally, I have the utmost respect for Lappy as a hockey player but he's made the decision to sign with a team that all respectable Kings' fans should hate so it's not like I'm going to be rooting for him to tear up the league now that he's on the Avs. If he gets in a fight with a King (fighting is something which Lappy is somewhat known for obviously) are you going to be rooting for Lappy to win the fight or the King?

Old
07-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Tadite

Quote:

What are you talking about? This is PROFESSIONAL SPORTS.

Doesn't matter how much of a fan favorite you are sooner or later your just not going to be in the long-term plans for your team...

Lappy is a great guy and brings whatever he can every night. Only problem is that he just hasn't been the same player for over 2 years. Once we traded for Cowan the writing was on the wall. The Kings would never give him more then a 2 year contract so if he is really geting a 4 year from the Avs he shoudl jump on that....

Old
07-02-2004, 12:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I hate anyone who is on the Colorado Avalanche. Simple as that. Kim Johnsson and Matty Norstrom ever play with the Avs, they go on my list as well.

Old
07-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Great post. I don't think people will boo him though.

Old
07-02-2004, 12:21 PM
KingsFan7824

To be a fan of professional sports today, you have to be loyal to the jersey, not the name on the back. Players move around far too much these days. The only constant is the logo on the front of the jersey.

The players don't care. If a team doesn't give them the money, they'll move to the next team that will. They don't care what jersey they put on, as long as it's a jersey in the NHL where they get paid millions of dollars. Sports have become a business, and no longer a game. It's sad, but that's what happened.

Laperriere chose to become a free agent. Good for him, and good luck in Colorado.

Old
07-02-2004, 12:34 PM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I hate anyone who is on the Colorado Avalanche. Simple as that. Kim Johnsson and Matty Norstrom ever play with the Avs, they go on my list as well.
I don't know about "hate", but from now on, he's on the "fightin' side of me". If he hadn't given so much, for so long, I'd feel much the same as you Kim, also he didn't disrupt the team when he was leaving. That's how it should be done. Not sure why Colorado needs him but that's their deal. If he plays as hard as he has played in the past he will be pretty much "used up" in four years. Lappy, thanks for the memories but you're off the Christmas card list.

Old
07-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824
To be a fan of professional sports today, you have to be loyal to the jersey, not the name on the back. Players move around far too much these days. The only constant is the logo on the front of the jersey.

The players don't care. If a team doesn't give them the money, they'll move to the next team that will. They don't care what jersey they put on, as long as it's a jersey in the NHL where they get paid millions of dollars. Sports have become a business, and no longer a game. It's sad, but that's what happened.

Laperriere chose to become a free agent. Good for him, and good luck in Colorado.
Exactly.

Old
07-02-2004, 01:27 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Agree 100%.. Anyone who is on the Red Wings, Avalanche, or Ducks I simply hate. Lappy is on my list now. I hope Avery drops the gloves with him, and kicks the crap out of him. I hate Adam Foote the most btw. Next is Salei or Rucchin.

Old
07-02-2004, 01:37 PM
jfont

Awards:
why is everyone hating lappy for signing with the avs?

he has a family to take care of...he'll take the best available offer that is given to him...money talks ppl...money talks...

if theres anyone to blame its dave taylor for being asleep at the wheel and the overly causious and very cost conscious AEG team...drat!

IMO, ian is worth keeping and this is just crap! :mad:

07-02-2004, 03:15 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
why is everyone hating lappy for signing with the avs?

he has a family to take care of...he'll take the best available offer that is given to him...money talks ppl...money talks...

if theres anyone to blame its dave taylor for being asleep at the wheel and the overly causious and very cost conscious AEG team...drat!

IMO, ian is worth keeping and this is just crap! :mad:
I was looking forward to Avery, Lappy and Cowan on a line. But we get stuck with Belanger again, who on most nights disappears. With Ian you know what you're getting. Colorado certainly did..........This team is hillarious right now, especially when it comes to budget. Get over it already.........it's our offer or get out So again what's our direction? Give a 35yr old Quintal right over a million but Lappy.........squeak yourself to death.
Drafting has been amazing, but we'll run into more Aaron Rome's and the situation will be the same. Like someone else here said.....first quotes from players mouth's that move elsewhere is "i'm going to a team that wants to win"....and that's an indirect quote to management! Us fans love to justify though!
Lappy gone..........and what did we get? Most popular player the last eight years.........c-ya!

Old
07-02-2004, 03:40 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

lappy is gone. i'm glad becuase he got a great contract, can possibly get more ice time, and for us, it frees up another spot for our youth. i wish him the best but I really do think his time was over once we got avery. I'm a huge avery fan, so it'll be exciting to see how he develops over the years

Old
07-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
It's really funny to see the same people who were previously complaining that the youngsters don't get a chance, complaining about a veteran player like Lappy being left unsigned. Make up your minds! How do you expect to inject youth into the line-up when you have 30+ year olds holding down the roles that younger players usually fill. You want Barney in the line-up? Well, now he has a spot. Cammalleri, Brown and Kanko have a chance now too.

Like somebody else said, I'm sure the Kings were not willing to tie-up Lappy for more than a couple of years and Lappy took the long-term payday. Lappy isn't stupid, he knows that 4 years from now his tank will be running on empty and he would be lucky to earn half a million if he needed to fetch a new contract in a couple years. Can anybody envision Lappy being effective 4 years from now, considering his age and the role he plays? I can bring in a rookie at half the cost and do much more than half the job. Will the leadership qualities be there? Will the veteran savvy be there? No, but youth also has advantages. Less injuries, more potential, more stamina.

Is Lappy worth $1.25 million? Maybe he is this year, but he’s definitely not going to be worth it 4 years from now. What if all the owners adopt a cost certainty stance or a salary cap is put in place? If Lappy is worth $1.25 million, what is a top scorer worth? A top defenseman? Top prospect? These things all need to fall in place. If the top paid players take a 3 million dollar pay cut, then everybody’s pay needs to be adjusted downward to fall in line. If a forechecking forward who gets 20 points in a season is worth $1.25 million, what is a Joe Sakic, Martin St. Louis, or Markus Naslund worth?

Good luck Lappy and thanks for all your hard work.

Old
07-02-2004, 04:50 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
This team is hillarious right now, especially when it comes to budget. Get over it already.........it's our offer or get out
Why is it so bad that the Kings have a budget?

I guess the Kings are the only team that said they're not going to go nuts with the payroll. Dallas kept Hatcher last year, right? The Flyers have already signed Zhamnov, Recchi, and all their guys to large deals this year, right? Detroit is willing to overpay for Hull, Shanahan, and Schneider, right?

Quote:
So again what's our direction? Give a 35yr old Quintal right over a million but Lappy.........squeak yourself to death
I thought Quintal is making half a million next year?

And Laperriere chose to become a free agent. He can only do that once. And he did it. That's why he signed a 4 year deal with the Avs, because this was his one shot at it. Considering he was thinking about retiring after his concussion this year, if he makes it 4 years, then he's probably not being Ian Laperriere.

Quote:
Drafting has been amazing, but we'll run into more Aaron Rome's and the situation will be the same
Yeah, all those Aaron Rome situations. It was Aaron Rome, and...ummm...who was that one guy...what's his name...I forget. They didn't sign Justin Papineau either, and he's gone on to have a great NHL career. And can we wait until Rome proves he can play in the NHL? You'd think he was the next Bourque.

Quote:
first quotes from players mouth's that move elsewhere is "i'm going to a team that wants to win"....and that's an indirect quote to management! Us fans love to justify though!
Every player says that after signing with anyone.

And who's to say who's going to win anymore? Detroit isn't the same team. They haven't gotten beyond the 2nd round in 2 years, got old, and have lost a few players this summer. Colorado hasn't done much the last 2 years either, and their stars are also getting older. Philadelphia and Toronto spend like they've won, but they haven't won. Who knows if Ottawa will ever win. St.Louis is stripping payroll. Dallas doesn't seem to be too active, let Matvichuk go, signed a few role players, and might trade Guerin. Tampa Bay isn't going to sign anyone. They need to sign plenty of their own players.

Old
07-02-2004, 06:17 PM
KINGLEWOOD

Lappy represented the Kings both off and on the ice, Avery will take his place as team pest but Lappy did so much more for the Kings.

It will definetely be hard seeing him in that avalanche jersey, no doubt Blake had something to do with this.

Old
07-02-2004, 07:42 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

that's true, but i really don't see lappy in our future plans. he was a great fan favorite, but i could really see the years wearing down on him. at most, i would wnat him in a contract for 2 years, after that, i would definately like to see him go somewhere else. he's great as a supporter, but our team is younger and getting stronger. lappy is getting older and getting weaker. we need to let the youth start taking up some of the most important roles for the team.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo
It's really funny to see the same people who were previously complaining that the youngsters don't get a chance, complaining about a veteran player like Lappy being left unsigned. Make up your minds!
Modry, Holland, Armstrong, Avery...those are the guys who need to go. All those guys suck, except Avery, who is just a bonehead. Lapperriere is not a guy who is just taking up space, who there wasn't much bad to say about him. I guess we have to rely on Jeff Cowan for that now.

Anyone want Brashear? How about Mike Ricci (who in my opinion would replace Lapperriere, and more, Ricci has a ring)

Old
07-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Mxpunk

I think Lappy's leadership and guidance (for the younger players) will be missed...Who will contribute the same leadership? I don't think Norstrom is much of a leader, and guys like Avery are too new to the league...

Old
07-03-2004, 08:28 PM
LuckyLUC20

Good luck, Lappy. Just not against the Kings.

We'll miss you.

Old
07-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
I think Lappy's leadership and guidance (for the younger players) will be missed...Who will contribute the same leadership? I don't think Norstrom is much of a leader, and guys like Avery are too new to the league...
LUC brings that. I will miss LAPPY no question about that but the last thing I'm worried about is our 3rd and 4th line players because we have a lot of depth there.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Mxpunk

Yeah, but Lappy threw the big hit or stuck up for the team when a guy got injured....remember when visnovsky was hit by moreau? lappy fought moreau that shift....that is a rare kind of leadership that gains respect from teammates...

Old
07-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
Yeah, but Lappy threw the big hit or stuck up for the team when a guy got injured....remember when visnovsky was hit by moreau? lappy fought moreau that shift....that is a rare kind of leadership that gains respect from teammates...
There's no need to bring up examples for what Lappy did for this team, because everyone knows what Lappy did. We can fill up thread after thread about some great memories of LAPPY. He's going to be missed by everyone. He left his heart on the ice night in and night out and his heart is still at Staples Center. I truly wish him the best because he is a hockey player that has focus and heart like no other. Everything he did for us will be missed. Avery is the next Lappy because of Lappy. Best Wishes Lappy because if anyone deserves it, it's you.

Old
07-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Reaper45

Quote:

Anyone want Brashear? How about Mike Ricci (who in my opinion would replace Lapperriere, and more, Ricci has a ring)
Huggy bear or the ugliest man in professional sports....hmmm. I wouldn't mind Ricci for some veteran leadership during the rebuild.

Closed Thread