HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will we/ Should we sign Nestrasil and Almqvist ?

Old
03-02-2011, 02:52 PM
RedwingsnCudi13

vCash: 500
Will we/ Should we sign Nestrasil and Almqvist ?

Title says it all.

For me it's Yes and Yes how bout you ?

RedwingsnCudi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:14 PM
DetBigWangs

Yes to both.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Anchor Town

Yes. No real debate to it

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
sarcastro

My guess is they'll sign Almqvist and loan him back to HV71 for another year or two. Not sure about Nestrasil. I'd probably roll the dice on him but it seems like they would have signed him by now if they liked him.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

Wait. Didn't we sign Ferraro, Aubry and Nestrasil this year?

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:58 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Can anyone explain why they sign them to a 3year entry level deal when they won't be in a winged wheel unform until after 3 years? why not sign the entry level the last possible day and then play with a dirt cheap player?

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Nestrasil hasn't been signed to my knowledge.

I agree that both should be signed. If it comes to a contract limit issue, there are always guys that can be moved(prospect wise).

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Can anyone explain why they sign them to a 3year entry level deal when they won't be in a winged wheel unform until after 3 years? why not sign the entry level the last possible day and then play with a dirt cheap player?
Doran kick in til they join NA pro league

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
redacted

Quote:
Isn't it the last possible year to sign Ferraro and Nestrasil anyway? If the player spends the season in major junior, it doesn't take a year off their ELC anyway AFAIK.

redacted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:15 PM
RedwingsnCudi13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwawr View Post
Isn't it the last possible year to sign Ferraro and Nestrasil anyway? If the player spends the season in major junior, it doesn't take a year off their ELC anyway AFAIK.
Ferraro has been signed already. The remaining picks from the 2009 draft must be signed by July 1 2011 or they become Free Agents?

RedwingsnCudi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:18 PM
FabricDetails

They have to sign Almqvist at the end of this year?

FabricDetails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 870
Quote:
The Wings would lose their exclusive rights to the player (which they got by drafting them) after 2-3 years, I think, it might depend on the players age and juniors eligibility.

Also, because of the Wings system, the player almost has to play in Grand Rapids just to be prepared for the Wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwingsnCudi13 View Post
Ferraro has been signed already. The remaining picks from the 2009 draft must be signed by July 1 2011 or they become Free Agents?
By definition, they are free agents right now, but the Wings own the exclusive rights to signing them, which would expire on, I think, June 1st.

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Filppula
Jurks

I used to be, and in some ways still am, really high on Nestrasil. Looking at it realistically though, this being his third year in the QMJHL, he should be DOMINATING, which he clearly isn't. Add his lack of scoring development to his questionable skating and physical play, I'm not sure he ticks enough boxes.

Almquist should be a certainty to get a contract.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Sometimes they give a guy a lower offer early on in hopes he'll sign it. Sometimes they play the numbers - teams can only have 50 players (including prospects but excluding players still in junior) under contract at one time, so the team might go to 3 guys and say "I have two cheap entry-level contracts here, and the first two of you to sign them get to stick around". Later-round picks are more likely to sign the deal than risk going another year in junior with no pro contract. They might get injured or have a lousy year, in which case there might not be any offers on the other side.

Players who sign and stay in junior don't burn a year on their deals - if they sign a guy to a 3 year EL deal the day after the draft and he plays 3 more years of junior hockey, they essentially have him under contract for 6 years. His entry-level deal doesn't start until he turns pro.

Most of the guys they have signed early have low cap hits, so if they make the NHL before the end of their EL deals they'll be cheap. That's the goal. They'd be coming up at $550k or $600k instead of $850k on the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
They have to sign Almqvist at the end of this year?
Yes, European players are now subject to the 2 year signing period like non-college North Americans under the current CBA.

They can sign him and loan him back to Sweden though. Unlike a player in North America, he burns years on his contract playing over there but the SEL pays his contract, not the Wings. And during that time he can't go sign with another NHL club if his play takes off and increases his value.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:45 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Yes, European players are now subject to the 2 year signing period like non-college North Americans under the current CBA.

They can sign him and loan him back to Sweden though. Unlike a player in North America, he burns years on his contract playing over there but the SEL pays his contract, not the Wings. And during that time he can't go sign with another NHL club if his play takes off and increases his value.
Hmm... So (and please bear with me because I'm a little confused myself), how does the whole "rights to a player" fiasco work? Don't the Wings have rights to certain players even if they don't sign them?

FabricDetails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:06 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Hmm... So (and please bear with me because I'm a little confused myself), how does the whole "rights to a player" fiasco work? Don't the Wings have rights to certain players even if they don't sign them?
Actually now that I look into it more, I might have been mistaken. I was under the impression that they had included the 2 year rule in the new CBA, but that the rule was subject to a new NHL-IIHF transfer agreement before it took effect.

That would make Almqvist exempt, because he was drafted before the transfer agreement was signed.

But then I look at RWC and I see Almqvist and Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen are all listed as "No set deadline to sign".

http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/pulkkinen.php

So ... I guess I'm not sure. Wasn't this covered by the new transfer agreement? Did I miss something? Or is RWC missing something? Matt is pretty sharp so I would be surprised if he had missed a detail like that.

I need backup.