Notices

2011 Trade Deadline Thread

Old
02-23-2011, 10:08 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

vCash: 500
2011 Trade Deadline Thread

Feel we need one since it's almost here and we could possible make the biggest move since Richards is the biggest fish in the ocean.

Who would you want and you think Richard get's traded?
Rangers, Kings and Leafs are looking like the top teams in the race for Richards. What can we get from them?
Or do you think the Gogo deal is the only move will make before the deadline?

Last edited by Stars99Lobo37: 02-27-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Title changed
MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:12 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post
Feel we need one since it's almost here and we could possible make the biggest move since Richards is the biggest fish in the ocean.

Who would you want and you think Richard get's traded?
Rangers, Kings and Leafs are looking like the top teams in the race for Richards. What can we get from them?
Or do you think the Gogo deal is the only move will make before the deadline?
forget the leafs, they arent a player in this. Rangers and Kings probably are. Other possibilities, Washington, Boston(salary is an obstacle) Carolina, Buffalo possibly, Montreal, maybe nashville. With any of those teams I think we'd be looking at their first (assuming they have one) and one of their higher end prospects.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Captain Awesome

I've always had the suspicion that Dean Lombardi does not have the gonads to even make a big trade, that coupled with the fact that we're in the same division doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the two teams materializing for a Brad Richards trade.

If we're hopelessly out of this thing next week, I think we probably trade away a guy like Skrastins, obviously Richards, possibly Fistric (they don't seem too high on him). I could see Joe just collecting a bunch of draft picks in return, maybe another d-man or a bottom 6 forward.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 05:58 AM
None More Negative*

Best case scenario: Someone hides Joes phone for the next week.

Because you know hes just aching to trade Benn and Woywitka for some 3rd pairing D-men.. After all, we still have the awesome majesty that is The Glennie..

But I'm sure he'll hold out for a 5th rounder as well this time..

None More Negative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:37 AM
HockeyGambit

The trade for Goli is probably the only big trade the Stars will make, I really don't see Richards being traded and I think the contract gets done in the summer. I think we'll probably see some minor trade for depth but nothing close to the Neal Goli trade.

HockeyGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:02 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I've always had the suspicion that Dean Lombardi does not have the gonads to even make a big trade, that coupled with the fact that we're in the same division doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the two teams materializing for a Brad Richards trade.

If we're hopelessly out of this thing next week, I think we probably trade away a guy like Skrastins, obviously Richards, possibly Fistric (they don't seem too high on him). I could see Joe just collecting a bunch of draft picks in return, maybe another d-man or a bottom 6 forward.
i wish we'd trade a guy like skrastins but i dont see it. He doesnt have much value and joe would think it would hurt the team too much.

Old
02-24-2011, 10:36 AM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyzeus666 View Post
After all, we still have the awesome majesty that is The Glennie..
He started slow this season, but Glennie has been putting up some numbers lately.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:31 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
He started slow this season, but Glennie has been putting up some numbers lately.
Pretty good numbers.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:07 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Pretty good numbers.
Yep..

Per Mark Stepneski:
Quote:
F Scott Glennie (Brandon/WHL) has six goals in his last three games. Glennie has 66 points (27 goals, 39 assists) and a plus-13 rating in his last 47 games. He currently ranks 11th in scoring in the WHL with 74 points (29 goals, 45 assists) in 59 games.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:12 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
F Scott Glennie (Brandon/WHL) has six goals in his last three games. Glennie has 66 points (27 goals, 39 assists) and a plus-13 rating in his last 47 games. He currently ranks 11th in scoring in the WHL with 74 points (29 goals, 45 assists) in 59 games.
Wonder if he at least gets to play a little during the pre-season. He can be slotted in the RW position on the 2nd line.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
LordHelmet

I say definitely some pre-season play and maybe a callup. But I'd rather see him stay in Austin next season. No hurry for us in terms of wings..

Old
02-24-2011, 12:43 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
I say definitely some pre-season play and maybe a callup. But I'd rather see him stay in Austin next season. No hurry for us in terms of wings..
Glennie is in Brandon playing in the WHL. Why should we bring him to Austin and play with the Texas Stars in the AHL, unless there is a marked difference in competition levels and conditioning?

Old
02-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyzeus666 View Post
Best case scenario: Someone hides Joes phone for the next week.

Because you know hes just aching to trade Benn and Woywitka for some 3rd pairing D-men.. After all, we still have the awesome majesty that is The Glennie..

But I'm sure he'll hold out for a 5th rounder as well this time..
Why would Richards hold out for the summer to sign here? Why would he want to play here? Theres no way we haven't put any offers in front of him yet, so that means he's declined them. If he's declined them now, then why even take the risk that he chooses not to sign in the summer?

That's way too much to give up for absolutely nothing. Even if Richards can only return a measly late 1st, I do it. The risk is way too high.

Cin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Why would Richards hold out for the summer to sign here? Why would he want to play here? Theres no way we haven't put any offers in front of him yet, so that means he's declined them. If he's declined them now, then why even take the risk that he chooses not to sign in the summer?

That's way too much to give up for absolutely nothing. Even if Richards can only return a measly late 1st, I do it. The risk is way too high.
Yeah this is the thought I don't understand. What happens between now and July that makes a difference to Brad Richards? I promise you that at least one contract offer has been put in front of him. Probably several with give and take from both sides, yet here we sit no new extension. The reason he hasn't signed is ownership and there's been no real movement on that front so the reasons he won't sign will be the same then as now. Ergo waiting for the summer and getting nothing is wishful at best malfeasance on Niewendyk's part at worst. Extension by Monday or trade assuming the ubiquitous prospect, roster player, 1st is on the table or something close in vale.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Glennie is in Brandon playing in the WHL. Why should we bring him to Austin and play with the Texas Stars in the AHL, unless there is a marked difference in competition levels and conditioning?
The AHL is quite a step up in terms of competition, not to mention the fact that he would be playing against more physically mature players in the AHL. Glennie needs to be challenged if he is going to develop as a hockey player. That means playing in the AHL or NHL next season not in the WHL.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Alistar

^^ wow apparently we had a mind merge right there.

Quote:
The AHL is a massive step up in competition. Glennie will be eligible for AHL competition once he turns 20, and Dallas has to hope that he's developed to the point where he can earn a spot on that team at the very least.

Going back to the WHL in my opinion isn't an option. Those over-age guys playing in that league never amount to anything because they aren't getting any better dominating a bunch of kids.

This will be an important off-season for Glennie - it's critical that he puts in the work to get in condition to compete against full grown men.

As for Richards... I know it's tough but I don't think that Dallas can really lose at this point by trading him away. Richards is guaranteed to get paid well in excess of what his production will be worth when he's in the 4th or 5th year of his new deal, and Dallas should be operating on the assumption that the budget will be limited long term.

At this point with the way the Stars' season is going I'd almost say any assets the Stars could potentially get back for Richards would be a bonus.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:57 PM
starsfan4ever

All this talk about Dallas being asinine for the trade price of Richards is annoying.

First off, all of the asking prices are rumored.

Second, what if they were asinine? Why shouldn't they be bit of an overpayment? He's our most talented player, and to trade him away we better set ourselves up for the future. I'm hoping Joe has too much pride rather than lay down and take a lesser deal. Fight for him when July rolls around and pray we have new owners in place.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:57 PM
catters078

Glennie Needs to start in the NHL next year, hes had two years to develop, we cant cuddle him in the minors for another year, its time for him to get his feet wet next year and play..

If players like Paajarvi who needed development are ready from that draft, then Glennie is ready..

Play him ..

As for the deadline, id like a bottom pairing veteran (CHEAP) shut down defensman who can help keep the crease and lanes clear for kari..dont need any offense from him..just someone who can position well and keep forwards in check..

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
Glennie Needs to start in the NHL next year, hes had two years to develop, we cant cuddle him in the minors for another year, its time for him to get his feet wet next year and play..

If players like Paajarvi who needed development are ready from that draft, then Glennie is ready..

Play him ..

As for the deadline, id like a bottom pairing veteran (CHEAP) shut down defensman who can help keep the crease and lanes clear for kari..dont need any offense from him..just someone who can position well and keep forwards in check..
Before being drafted, MPS spent three years in what's basically the Swedish NHL. I'd say that does a tad more in preparation for the pros than the WHL provides Glennie.

So Paajarvi made the transition to North American hockey relatively quickly. I'm hoping to see Glennie in Dallas come October, but if he needs more time, I don't think we need to rush him.

02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
StarsFan74

@Alistar and secretsquirrel

Thanks for the confirmation. I should've known better with the "AHL-NHL affiliation" thing.

Old
02-24-2011, 06:45 PM
RalphHouzen

"I'll do what I want"

RalphHouzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Man, one win and I'm back to thinking that the only way I trade Richards is if we get something like Schenn+ or Toronto 1st+ instead of a package of lesser but still valuable parts.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post

Play him ..

Not all prospects are the same, and most don't make it in the NHL by age 20. I just don't see Glennie making the NHL next year full time. It wouldn't be a risk to let him play since if he doesn't perform he'll just get sent down to the AHL anyway, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:13 AM
txomisc

if theres any doubt I think players should stay at the lower levels as long as possible.

Old
02-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Heck Neal and Eriksson both spent a year in the AHL. There's no need to rush Glennie. A guy like Vincour has gotten his feet wet but would be well served to go back to the AHL for the rest of the season soon. Glennie needs to add some weight and muscle mass that comes with time in the gym. He also probably needs time to transition to the Stars' system and get all the minutes possible playing in every situation. Some preseason games and even a couple of call ups for less than 10 total games wouldn't be bad for him but I'd expect a guy like Reilly Smith if he leaves college to be more ready for the NHL than Glennie at the beginning of next year. Rushing him won't help him or the Stars.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote