HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Needs addressed

Old
03-01-2011, 06:11 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Needs addressed

So let me get this straight, our top scorer is sub 20 goals, our would be - Go-To guy is out with concuission, our top Defensive stud is injured and the only improvement we deem necessary is to get a guy whose only claim to fame is a slapshot from the blue line.

I watched McCabe with the Pants and he was unremarkable not to say dreadful.

What worries me even more is that whole bunch of you are excited about this

See that Arnott, Versteeg, Kaberle, Peverley, Penner just to mention a few intersting options.......for a short term solution

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:23 AM
RGF

When looking around the league post trade deadline...

Are there any players moved that realistically the rangers should have targeted? I know finding a PP QB D-man was a top priority, but the Sabres acquisition of Brad Boyes for a 2nd Rd pick was intriguing. I would have been interested in bringing in a player like Boyes in the middle considering is upside...

RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:57 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Boyes might not have been an option because sather more than likely didnt know his price, gms don't just post players and values somewhere for everyone to see, gms have to call around and ask about certain players and they don't call gms they don't have favorable relationships with. Sather most likely didn't even call STL about boyes assuming his value would have been to high given the current market. I think McCabe was a good acquisition, and I'm glam sather didn't dismantle the team and it's youth.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:59 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Boyes is also under contract next season for a $4m cap hit. I wouldn't want to take the chance that he returns to form.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:00 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Not sure he would have been an option considering the one year remaining on his contract after this season.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

It seems like every year since zubov left we've needed a pp ace

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Levitate

Boyes is a soft, inconsistent floater who doesn't use the body. Everyone would have hated him.

Richards is really the only guy I would have wanted and he just wasn't affordable. I also don't really like Penner, as he is basically 10 games of crappy effort and being a slug and then one dominating physical game. Then back to the other 10 games...

Just wasn't a lot available for good prices this year. McCabe was a good pickup for what the Rangers spent

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:06 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
So let me get this straight, our top scorer is sub 20 goals, our would be - Go-To guy is out with concuission, our top Defensive stud is injured and the only improvement we deem necessary is to get a guy whose only claim to fame is a slapshot from the blue line.

See that Arnott, Versteeg, Kaberle, Peverley, Penner just to mention a few intersting options.......for a short term solution
You know what, sometimes the answers aren't there, no matter how much you need to fix something. The cap limits what we can do, and in some cases, the cost associated with making certain moves is too high.

Should we just overpay because we need a 1st line center? Should we overpay for a PPQB? Remember a few years ago when Nylander left and we needed centers? We overpaid for Gomez and Drury. How did that work out? And then we needed a PPQB so we overpaid for Redden.

I'm probably the last person to defend Sather, but he did right by showing restraint here. We can't afford to add salary for next year, and we can't afford to give up major pieces for rentals. We just aren't good enough. Sometimes it's the moves the GM doesn't make that make the difference.

Try having a little patience. We aren't going to become contenders over night.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:19 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
You know what, sometimes the answers aren't there, no matter how much you need to fix something. The cap limits what we can do, and in some cases, the cost associated with making certain moves is too high.

Should we just overpay because we need a 1st line center? Should we overpay for a PPQB? Remember a few years ago when Nylander left and we needed centers? We overpaid for Gomez and Drury. How did that work out? And then we needed a PPQB so we overpaid for Redden.

I'm probably the last person to defend Sather, but he did right by showing restraint here. We can't afford to add salary for next year, and we can't afford to give up major pieces for rentals. We just aren't good enough. Sometimes it's the moves the GM doesn't make that make the difference.

this guy gets it. word for word what he is saying. ranger fans need to realise that we're on the right course here.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:22 AM
free0717

Yes, I agree that Patience is a virtue in this business.

I didnt even like giving up the 3rd rd pick for a 20 game rental.

We got Boyle for a 3rd round pick. We have Grachev and the Bourque kid which were 3rd rd pick. Used correctly, 3rd Rd Picks have value.

I didnt like giving up a 7th for a minor leaguer. Henrik was a 7th rd pick

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:29 AM
MSG the place to be*

Peverley is the only attractive option the OP mentions (insane value for his low cap hit) but Boston had to give up a pretty good player for him.

I don't even have a smidgen of interest in the rest.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:47 AM
broadwayblue

I love what this team did at the deadline. Made a minor move for a rental dman and kicked the tires but rightfully passed on Richards. They continue to head in the right direction and stick with the plan.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Freaking reactionary much? Stay the damn course.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:

amen!

Somtimes the best move you make is the one you don't make.

Hamstringing this org. anymore than we already are (Drury, Redden with the summer cap) would've been disasterous. DO we need to fill holes? Absolutely. The thing is some of those holes will be filled by players on this squad already, once they mature (read MDZ). MDZ can't right now and it would've been great to get someone to fill in that role while he gets the experience needed but it didn't happen.

Same goes for center... maybe we pluck Richards in July... if not we'll have to find other options (maybe Stepan turns into a #1... maybe we fill through FA) but overpaying at the deadline for a 31 yr old guy with a concussion may have KILLED us in the long run.

We very well may look back on this trade deadline and say "We should've nabbed Richards when we had the chance"... but I'd bet that we look back and say "it's a good thing we didn't deal MDZ, AA, Grachev and a #1 for Richards".

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:01 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

McCabe played so-so for a terrible panthers team. I'm confident he'll help our PP, be somewhat of an anchor on the back end of the blue line and also add a veteran presence in the locker room. Sather made the right move not trying to get a scorer(gabby will be back soon) or a top 4 defenseman (staal will be back soon) either of those moves which would have costed something nobody wants to give up and rightfully so. I'm happy with what sather did/didn't do at the deadline.

Old
03-01-2011, 09:05 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:

Wow,this

Old
03-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
.......for a short term solution
THIS team can't afford to give up much for short term solutions if they're serious about sticking to the long term plan.

I'm not a McCabe fan. I was against acquiring a player like that, but when I saw the price tag, it was easy to find the positives. I think it was a smart move for a Captain-less team with an inexperienced blueline and a specific special teams problem. Hard to check off that many "needs" with one deal, nevermind doing so for a song. Maybe McCabe goes on to be a part of the future plan too.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:54 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I'm actually pleased with the non-movement.

The asking price for Richards was too high, considering his free-agent-to-be/health status.

There were no "impact" players available that didn't also have injury concerns (Hemsky)

We did the right thing. Patience, indeed is a virtue.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
ruckus*

Someone's actually upset with the McCabe deal when it means that Gilroy or DZ or HOPEFULLY both won't be playing then?

For that reason alone the deal is a win.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:24 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:

your post contradicts your name

but to make my post relavant:
no move or series of moves could have made this team a real contender this season...so whats the point of giving up assets then? id rather go to war with what we have, see how our youngins do in the playoffs, and see how we can go about improving the team this offseason

we have a very young team...we need to remember that time is our friend at this point

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:27 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

building through the trade deadline frenzy is a bad idea. take care of minor needs and address those needs on entry draft/july 1st.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:40 AM
mostly a reader

I gotta tell you, I like this team. I think Hank is a goalie that thrives with work and now he's going to get it. He will hopefully peak come playoff time.

the style they play is well suited for the playoffs.

Unfortunately, they have such difficulty scoring that a game is lost with one or two mistakes.

This teams' fortunes rest with its power play. As simple as that. McCabe is a step in the right direction. But they need to solve the problem to go anywhere this year. (A few bounces wouldn't hurt either).

All that said, first round and out isn't the worst thing. The development we've seen this year has been incredible, and it SEEMS more young help is on the way. how can you not be optimistic long term?

mostly a reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

I feel like the Rangers have finally turned the corner so to speak. I for one believe that if the Wolski and McCabe trades were made yesterday the same fans who complained about the lack of moves etc would be extreamly pleased. It's the nature of Rangers fans to need that feeling they get when a trade is made. It's news, it's something to post about and debate. I don't think the OP is even worried about team needs or the exciting prospects we have both on the team developing, in the system, in junior, and College. I think he see's "name players" moved and is jealous. Maybe, I'm wrong....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Yes, I agree that Patience is a virtue in this business.

I didnt even like giving up the 3rd rd pick for a 20 game rental.

We got Boyle for a 3rd round pick. We have Grachev and the Bourque kid which were 3rd rd pick. Used correctly, 3rd Rd Picks have value.

I didnt like giving up a 7th for a minor leaguer. Henrik was a 7th rd pick
Well Grachev and Bourque have done **** in the NHL for the Rangers so far so that's not a good example. Henrik was a 7th round pick, correct. Do we need to list all the other 7th round picks?

The Rangers are doing things perfectly fine.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
zestystrat

Quote:

Great post GAGLine.

Bottom line, we aren't winning the cup this year...and we aren't even 2 or 3 trades away right now.

It's been a looog time since I felt this good about the future of this team....I'll echo, stay the course.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote