HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Monster at the End of This Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Also, Stamkos and Nate Thompson seem to have twitter now.

http://twitter.com/#!/NateThompson44
http://twitter.com/#!/RealStamkos91
You can sometimes get a sense of a person by who they follow on twitter.

Nate Thompson follows Fox News.

Old
03-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Stammer's following Paris Hilton!
Well he's following Erin Andrews so that makes up for it.

Old
03-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

He needs to follow Obama now. Total mind**** ensues.

Old
03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Riddle me this. Nate Thompson's twitter account follows both Fox News and the NHLPA.

Fox News is the the primary news outlet trying to push an anti-union narrative right now. (see Wisconsin teacher union protests)

Old
03-09-2011, 04:06 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Riddle me this. Nate Thompson's twitter account follows both Fox News and the NHLPA.

Fox News is the the primary news outlet trying to push an anti-union narrative right now. (see Wisconsin teacher union protests)
Know thy enemy.

Old
03-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
I am slightly embarrassed.

Old
03-09-2011, 05:21 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
You can sometimes get a sense of a person by who they follow on twitter.

Nate Thompson follows Fox News.
He's from Palin Country.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Classless. Absolutely classless.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Lecavilier_4

@LightningStrikes I have finally finished watching every episode in the series for Breaking Bad. I will put my thoughts in spoil tags just incase.

Spoil:

I think I have figured out my main issue with the series. It seems like the writers try way too desperately hard to tie everything together. I understand it is part of the show to make it seem like every decision that Walter makes, impacts the rest of the show but sheer amount of times that they try and work these relations in is a little annoying.

For example near the end of season three with the storyline of the eleven-year old child who is used in the drug trade, I think they just went far too into detail to make everything relate.

1. This child is the same child that shot Combo; one of their original drug dealers when they started out small.
2. This child is the younger brother of the girl that Jesse meets in rehab.
3. This child is seen driving his bicycle past Walt and Jesse after their "meeting" with Gus.
4. This child ends up being killed by two street dealers, who are dealing the "blue crystal" that Walt and Jesse have been cooking.
5. The men who killed the child, were actually working for Gus.

Here is another thing that I didn't understand. Lowly street dealers would be very low on the food a chain. A drug lord like Gus would realize this, and would not want to trouble Walter, who is manufacturing 200+ lbs of crystal meth per week. Walter would have much more pull than what is being depicted in this show. A drug lord wouldn't risk fracturing his relationship with someone who can consistently produce that large of an amount of product, over a few street vendors.

Here is another thing that bothered me. I think this next storyline was done very well up to a point. With Jane's death I thought they did a great job. Jane had threatened Walter and was coming between himself and Jesse, someone he feels that he needs to connect with. The reasons he still feels the need to stay connected to Jesse confuse me, other than obviously wanting to keep Jesse close to him so Jesse doesn't turn on him. But anyways...

When Walter visited Jesse and Jane after their heroin binge and Walter watched Jane choke and suffocate on her own vomit, it was a powerful scene. It represented a lot in terms of Walt's security and wanting to keep people away from his relationship with Jesse. What I thought that the writer's did wrong, was the entire story of the plane crash.

Now for many episodes they showed small scenes in the cold opens of the "pink bear." The entire time I thought that this pink bear was supposed to represent something important. Now while Walter was obviously blaming himself for the plane crash, I just felt that the plane crash storyline as a whole was unwarranted and really served little purpose.

1. Jesse has to find his own place at rents part of a duplex with Jane.
2. Jesse and Jane start a relationship which begins to interfere with the relationship, and business partnership between Jesse and Walter.
3. Jane finds out that Walter owes Jesse $480 000+, and threatens to turn Walter in.
4. Walter delivers the money to Jesse, only to find that Jane is clearly in control.
5. Walter comes back to Jesse's place and finds that they are both passed out from heroin.
6. Walter watches Jane suffocate and does nothing to save her.

Boom. Right there that storyline should have ended. Jane's purpose, other than Jesse's grieving process, should have been done. Where they took the storyline next is, in my opinion, the exact flaw of this series.

7. Walter meets Jane's father in a bar (can't remember if this was before or after her death?) and has a discussion with him.
8. Jane's father is actually an air traffic controller and is put off work on stress leave. When he returns to work he is clearly not ready for it and causes a plane crash.
9. The planes crash right above Walter's house, within perfect viewing distance and he watches the entire thing. Body parts and plane wreckage land on his property and he is clearly shaken up from the tragedy.
10. It is reported on the new, in far too much exact deatil, that the plane crash was caused by a grieving air traffic controller, whose name they publicize on the news. Walter realizes that he is the cause of the plane crash.

I just feel that whenever the show has a really intriguing storyline, they take it one or two steps too far and make it less believable, and thus less enjoyable.

Another issue I have is that the original premise for the storyline is very, very strong. It was a very good idea, and it made sense why he turned to this life of crime.

The guy is diagnosed with what looks to be terminal lung cancer. He loves his family and wants to make sure that they are taken care of even after he is gone but he realizes he doesn't have the money or assets to take care of them. He realizes from a news story about the lucrative nature of "cooking" crystal meth.

It was and is a strong premise for a show. What I dislike is the fact that as far as we know, for the time being, Walter is in remission. His tumor sizes were reduced by 80% and had a surgery to remove the tumor masses. From the information we have received in the show it appears as though he is recovering, and he is seemingly healthy. His coughing etc are all gone. Walter seems to be extremely healthy. It doesn't make sense that he is continuing this life of crime. I don't remember the exact figures he gave in the first season for the amount of money he needed to make, but I am pretty sure he has surpassed that.

The series is still great and I will definitely keep up-to-date when season four is released but I just think that the writer's try way too hard at a "perfect circle" storyline. It seems forced at times.

I also want to hear your opinions/predictions for season four. Did you think he killed Gale?

From Wikipedia:
"Upon Walt's call, Jesse shows in his doorway with a weapon, prepared to kill Gale. Gale begs for his life, offering Jesse his possessions and money. A gunshot is heard as the screen fades to black. Although some viewers have been speculating that the final camera angle indicates that Jesse turned the gun away from Gale before firing it, it was the intention of the series' creator, Vince Gilligan, to imply that the shooting actually occurred."

I was of the opinion, when I first watched it that he changed his aim to miss the shot. It just strikes me as though Jesse doesn't have it in him to kill a seemingly innocent person. I went back and watched it again and it was definitely the camera moving and not Jesse's arm.

I really don't see how Walter is going to get himself out of this situation. Yes, Gale is dead. Yes, Walter is the only person who knows how to make the blue crystal, but how the hell does Gus let him walk? Walter would still have to live his regular life, and could flee at any time. Yes you could have surveillance, but I mean.. Come on. Really not sure where they are going to go with the series right now. The writer's seemed to have cornered themselves a little bit here. The only hope is that this other drug group, that Gus has been feuding with, ends up eliminating Gus and/or his surrounding faction. I don't see how else you save Walter here.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:24 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
I keep on seeing this thread with a weird title that says I posted in it.

Then I realize it's this thread.

lol

03-09-2011, 07:30 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
I wonder if this thread has already had more titles than Stone's disaster.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar R Jones View Post
I would rather call it like.. The Stone Phillips Tragedy.

Old
03-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Is Cleverbot people?

I asked Cleverbot that and it responded:
"People is cleverbot."

Old
03-09-2011, 08:44 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Already more than 100 posts. We are on a good steady pace. FP has been successful so far.

Old
03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
@LightningStrikes I have finally finished watching every episode in the series for Breaking Bad. I will put my thoughts in spoil tags just incase.

(...)
Spoil:
I totally get your point and I agree with you. Their attempt to reach or accomplish the "perfect circle" as you call it. I too found it highly exaggerated that Jane's father was responsible for the plain crash. On the other hand it results in some very strong scences IMO (Jane just died, doesn't reply to his calls, he enters Jesse's house with his second key and the medics carry stretcher past him; or the scene you mentioned in the bar with Walt and him complaining about their "kids" and that there's no alternative to being there for them no matter what).

The "kid" aspect is also kinda interesting. Walt seems to consider Jesse to be kind of his son and yet, he doesn't want him to be too close - for obvious reasons (Hank knows who he is, as does Sky). It's also probably the reason why he's still sticking around with him and even provides him with the job of a lifetime (salary-wise).

On why Walt keeps going despite his recovery, I think it's just greed. Gus made an offer too good to decline. It also gave him something to do after his family life turned to ****. After all it's the only thing he's good at (innovative meth cook > overqualified chemistry teacher / car wash peon / failed family father and husband). Also, wasn't there a scene where he's calculating how much money he still has to make in order to provide for a good education for both of his children? I think I vaguely remember something like that...

On season 4: I too read the comments of the makers of the show that Jesse in fact killed the guy in the last scene. My first thought was that he didn't shoot him, as well. But maybe it was just the camera angle that gave that impression. So far Walt did the killing, first he had to (coin flip) later he decided to take that burdern in order to protect Jesse but also because he wanted it to be done "his way" / properly (runs over those two drug dealers, pops them in the head, etc). I'm also looking forward to Sky's involvement in the dirty business world as Walt's accountant.

So in conclusion from a drama series aspect I was quite surprised - in a positive way - after I slowly began to like the series after the first 2, 3 episodes. There are some scenes that may be overexaggerated under the light of logic and overall context, but that are so intense, in a dramatic sense, and that are so nicely and well done. Compared to any other drama series I've watched and even enjoyed, none of them left such a strong impression on me. I mean, I really like The Wire, Dexter, House or even Sons of Anarchy but none of them reached that level of BB, IMO. You can somehow relate with Walt and his originally good intentions, but things get more and more intense and complex until the point of no return. I'm a big fan of drop-out movies like Falling Down, American Beauty or in a sense even Fight Club or Gran Torino and BB is a high quality series of that sub-genre.

Hope I touched all your concerns.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 03-09-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old
03-09-2011, 09:50 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Cleverbot sounds like a Caps bandwagoner

Old
03-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar R Jones View Post
I like to refer to it as the OK Hockey Era of the OT Thread.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:43 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
I like to refer to it as the OK Hockey Era of the OT Thread.

"From #30 to #3 in 2.5 years!"

Old
03-09-2011, 10:49 PM
I Am Beat You

Me: So...
Cleverbot: Your name is Baka.

This ***** amazing.

Old
03-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Unintentional double-meaning quote of the night:

"I'm very pleased with (Grant) Clitsome. He's very powerful down low."
-- Fox Sports Midwest's Darren Pang during the telecast of St. Louis' game at Columbus tonight.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:24 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

So, Tyler, what are you watching now?

I'm looking for a new series, any ideas?

Old
03-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
So, Tyler, what are you watching now?

I'm looking for a new series, any ideas?
I actually have my external hard drive opened up on my PS3.

I just recently watched X-Men, X2, X-Men Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I love superhero movies and X-Men is one of my favorite franchises.

Firefly Season 1 and Serenity. I think the series is a little bit overrated and people hold it far too high on the pedestal, but it is a decent series. There is only like 14 episodes and a movie in the series, so it is a decent watch if you just want to watch it and get it done.

I just finished watching the first season of Episodes. I think the series is a bit mediocre. It looks like it didn't get very good TV viewership but it did get renewed for a second season. It is an interesting concept but overall mediocre. There is only seven episodes in the first season so you can get through it pretty quick.

I watched Persons Unknown a few months ago with my nephew when it was airing on NBC. I don't think it got very good ratings and was overall considered a bad series but I enjoyed it. The premise was interesting, and it was the type of series where you are left breadcrumbs and follow the trail. I don't know if you like trying to figure things out as a TV series advances, but it does a good job of surprising you most of the time, even at the expense of making sense at times :p.

Walking Dead on AMC was a great series. Six episodes developing a series that I think I am going to enjoy a lot in the future. Once again it had a short first season but it has been renewed for a second season. I can't remember if you watched this or not?

I just downloaded V Season 1. I haven't watched it yet. I have no idea if it is good or bad so I can't give any judgment on it.

As far as movies go:

Kick Ass - this is a must watch. I just watched it again recently with some friends who hadn't seen it yet. Such a good movie.

Scott Pilgrim Versus the World - I honestly just watched this movie this morning. I thought I would like it more but it was pretty enjoyable.

Zombieland - I always bring up Zombieland. If you haven't seen it... well then... get on that; you need to see it.

500 Days of Summer - Kind of a chick flick but I am a big fan. I loved the movie. Give it a try.

That is pretty much all I have on the radar at the moment. If you haven't watched Criminal Minds then I suggest that. It is an entertaining series that has characters that grow on you.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Lecavilier_4

By the way... Do you use MSN? Add me cleric.gildina@hotmail.com

Old
03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Zombieland is AMAZING.

Old
03-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
Zombieland is AMAZING.
So good brah. I can't even begin to speak about how good it is.

Closed Thread