HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Heatley to be indicted? (Speculation)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2004, 01:22 PM
flerd_trandle

vCash: 500
Heatley to be indicted? (Speculation)

Speculation that Heatley may be indicted for vehicular manslaughter and reckless driving.

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_art...?storyid=48794

Last edited by Trottier: 07-03-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Old
07-02-2004, 01:28 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

I'm not that familiar with the US law system.
Please tell what's the maximum panelty he could face and what's the minimum penalty?

Old
07-02-2004, 01:40 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGirl
I'm not that familiar with the US law system.
Please tell what's the maximum panelty he could face and what's the minimum penalty?
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...18&hubName=nhl

Maximum 15 years. Don't know the minimum. He won't get anything near 15 years though.

Old
07-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

The minimum is nothing. All an indictment means is that he's going to be charged and the case will proceed to trial (well, actually the case could get thrown out once it reaches trial). It however, does not necessarily mean that he's already been found guilty.

Old
07-02-2004, 01:50 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Why did it take almost a year to get to this point?

Old
07-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

You know what, this is total horse sh#t. I never for one second defended Heatley in all the debates that ensued after the wreck, and pretty much predicted if teh Synder family forgave Dany, that the Da's office would stand down. And they did.

But now they're going to indict him and the ONLY reason for the announcement now as opposed to months ago, is Tood Bertuzzi. The Atlanta DA office is trying to prop themselves up on the same pedestal as their Vancouver counterparts; they wrongly perceive that if they don't indict Heatley, they will be seen as "soft" or hold a "double-standard". What a bunch of @^#% cr@p!

Hypocritical sacks of dung. Had Bertuzzi not been charged, Heatley would not be indicted right now. That's aside from whether or not they deserve it. You don't indict one guy because some other guy in the same profession also got indicted for a totally unrelated screw up. These ****ers are just playing the PR game and trying to do what they think is needed to "appear tough on crime", blah blah blah.

I actually feel sorry for Heatley now in the sense that, they're not doing this for the right reasons. If they decided this in even a remotely timely manner relative to the crash, OK. Fine. Their prerogative as the DA office, etc. But this. This is just BS.

All the world's a stage, as the great band once said....

Old
07-02-2004, 01:52 PM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
The Snyder family has already said that they don't want Heatley to spend any time in jail.

Old
07-02-2004, 01:59 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Unfortunately there are many other priorities for the Fulton County DA(Paul Howard whose nephew was just taken first overall in the NBA Draft). In fact I have heard of one drunken driving case, with a serious injury involved, which has yet to go to trial in over 2 years!!!

We are jumping the gun a bit on the Indictment though. He has not been indicted yet, but from what I hear it is probably being presented to the Grand Jury right now.

I would not throw the Bert thing into this. The Fulton County DA has always said he would take this to the Grand Jury.

Old
07-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
But now they're going to indict him and the ONLY reason for the announcement now as opposed to months ago, is Tood Bertuzzi. The Atlanta DA office is trying to prop themselves up on the same pedestal as their Vancouver counterparts
I seriously doubt the Fulton County DA's office pays any attention to what Vancouver does. This county has a high crime rate and is busy prosecuting murders and other such things. This is not a hockey issue. It might be a "sports figure" issue, but it would have more to do with Ray Lewis than Bertuzzi.

Old
07-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Just the thought of knowing he made the mistake that ended a friend's life is more punishment than Dany deserves.

Old
07-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Unfortunately there are many other priorities for the Fulton County DA(Paul Howard whose nephew was just taken first overall in the NBA Draft). In fact I have heard of one drunken driving case, with a serious injury involved, which has yet to go to trial in over 2 years!!!

We are jumping the gun a bit on the Indictment though. He has not been indicted yet, but from what I hear it is probably being presented to the Grand Jury right now.

I would not throw the Bert thing into this. The Fulton County DA has always said he would take this to the Grand Jury.
Yeah, I was a bit skeptical because of the precise wording the Atlanta link used. It said "rumored" to be indicted--which in all likelihood, as you said, means it's just going to the grand jury. It's a bit late by most people's standards, but if the DA always had intentions to go to the grand jury, then this shouldn't be a surprise. Now, if and when the grand jury officially hands down an indictment, then I think we should make more of a commotion.

I think the major problem is, that he did in fact break the law, and because of it, a human being died. Because of that, the parents really don't have much bearing on the decision made by the DA's, so I could see this actually going further. It sucks, becuase there is an outpouring of sympathy, but when if law "tries" to remain neutral, then Heatley gets charged relatively easily. Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for Heatley because I sympathize with him just as much as everyone else, but I think this sympathy might be clouding people's response to the situation here.

Here's to hoping (and thinking) that the charges will be thrown out.

Old
07-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
I seriously doubt the Fulton County DA's office pays any attention to what Vancouver does. This county has a high crime rate and is busy prosecuting murders and other such things. This is not a hockey issue. It might be a "sports figure" issue, but it would have more to do with Ray Lewis than Bertuzzi.

Are you kidding? They may not pay attention in general to what happens in far away cities, but you can bet as soon as Bertuzzi did what he did and the talk of charges started flying, they had a decided interest in what happened next. Vancouver set a precedent. They charged a very popular athlete with a serious crime, when not that many people were calling for it. Now the Atlanta DA's office has a basis for doing the same thing. Don't forget, the DA's office is a very political place and one that is heavily influenced by the media at times.

I agree Ray Lewis also has something to do with it (the one that got away if you want to call it that), but Ray Lewis was never popular other than with UM fans and Ravens fans. There was no doubt that they were going to press charges against Lewis at any time.

But we didn't hear from the Atlanta DA for MONTHS on this issue, and now all of a sudden it's a priority and a done deal? Sorry, way to convenient timing if you ask me.

Old
07-02-2004, 02:18 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Are you kidding? They may not pay attention in general to what happens in far away cities, but you can bet as soon as Bertuzzi did what he did and the talk of charges started flying, they had a decided interest in what happened next. Vancouver set a precedent. They charged a very popular athlete with a serious crime, when not that many people were calling for it. Now the Atlanta DA's office has a basis for doing the same thing. Don't forget, the DA's office is a very political place and one that is heavily influenced by the media at times.
I would bet Fulton County DA Howard doesn't even know who Todd Bertuzzi is.

The DA was always going to file charges. In fact I would bet that with Heatley's recovery that the Thrashers and Dany's lawyer prefered to have it done during the summer. I think you could make a case that the DA might be doing Heatley and the Thrashers a slight favor by putting the case forward early in July.

The indictment is something that was always planned, however as has been stated before there are just many more pressing issues in Fulton County than a one car wreckless driving incident.

Old
07-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
But now they're going to indict him and the ONLY reason for the announcement now as opposed to months ago, is Tood Bertuzzi.
Are you basing this on anything besides your own opinion? The incidents are nothing alike whatsoever, not to mention the fact that they took place in two different countries.

Old
07-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:

I agree Ray Lewis also has something to do with it (the one that got away if you want to call it that), but Ray Lewis was never popular other than with UM fans and Ravens fans. There was no doubt that they were going to press charges against Lewis at any time.
For the Bertuzzi case to have made an impact here, two things would have to be true. One, the Fulton County DA's office would have to give a crap about hockey. Fat chance. This is the 9th largest city in America, hockey is low on the radar. Two, they would have to give a crap what Canada's legal system does. That's even less likely.

You obviously don't understand how the Ray Lewis fits in. This same DA was made to look bad in that case. He doesn't want it to happen again. Popularity of the athlete isn't the issue.

I'm not saying any more on this. Those who live here understand the situation. Those that don't, don't.

Old
07-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:

But we didn't hear from the Atlanta DA for MONTHS on this issue, and now all of a sudden it's a priority and a done deal? Sorry, way to convenient timing if you ask me.
You are taking a pretty myopic view of the situation. DAs typically don't care about minor crimes commited in other countries, and there is no way there would be any fallout from the Bertuzzi incident in Atlanta where it's doubtful that many people even know and care about it. Vancouver did not set a precedent by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, and Ray Lewis is ten times more popular than Todd Bertuzzi, at least.

Old
07-02-2004, 02:35 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher

Just the thought of knowing he made the mistake that ended a friend's life is more punishment than Dany deserves.
I'm sorry but... why? Because he's Dany Heatley?

I know it's not a DUI, but come off it, people. You know how many people a year die because their friends drove under the influence? Should none be prosecuted... or even indicted... because they feel horrible about it? You can't just let people off the hook because they feel bad about doing something.

There's nothing frivolous about the charges, either. Straight by the book. Vehicular manslaughter is operating a vehicle in an illegal way which causes death to a person. It's the right thing to do, and I'm sorry for Heatley fans out there, but it should have been done a year ago.

Heatley's LUCKY. HE could have been killed, along with anyone else during the inopportune moment of being on the road at the time.

While I really feel bad for Heatley, let's please not make him the victim. Snyder is. I think the DA is doing the right thing here, even if for the wrong reasons (if there really is a Bertuzzi connection, which I honestly don't think there is).

Old
07-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Kaiped Krusader

Quote:
Best part of the post.

Thank you for your diatribe, Mr. Stone. Now, may I suggest you put your tinfoil hat back on lest the black helicopters flying overhead beam any more kooky thoughts into your head?

Old
07-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn

I know it's not a DUI, but come off it, people. You know how many people a year die because their friends drove under the influence? Should none be prosecuted... or even indicted... because they feel horrible about it? You can't just let people off the hook because they feel bad about doing something.

There's nothing frivolous about the charges, either. Straight by the book. Vehicular manslaughter is operating a vehicle in an illegal way which causes death to a person. It's the right thing to do, and I'm sorry for Heatley fans out there, but it should have been done a year ago.

Heatley's LUCKY. HE could have been killed, along with anyone else during the inopportune moment of being on the road at the time.

While I really feel bad for Heatley, let's please not make him the victim. Snyder is. I think the DA is doing the right thing here, even if for the wrong reasons (if there really is a Bertuzzi connection, which I honestly don't think there is).
Good post. Heatley deserves whatever he has coming to him from the legal system; no more, no less.

Old
07-02-2004, 03:07 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:

I agree 100%. It was Heatley who was operating the vehicle and he operated the vehicle in a reckless fashion that killed his best friend. Sorry, there is no way that anyone can defend going 85 in 30 zone and say it was an accident. What was the accident? His foot was too heavy to lift off the gas pedal? Heatley was suffering from lead foot syndrome? Anyways, point of the matter is that Heatley was the one who was behind the wheel. As well, nobody should act like this is a surprise. This isn't the first time that Heatley was ticketed for speeding. There was a story in the Atlanta Journal at the time of Heatley's arrest in which he had been ticketed several times for excessive speeding. That right there is indication that he was somewhat of a risk behind the wheel. I not only point my finger at Heatley, but the Thrasher organization has to be held accountable too. This is their star player and as such, he needs to represent the company accordingly. I'm sorry, but if this were any of us at our regular 9 to 5 jobs, they'd can us if we made the organization look bad.

Old
07-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Juneemoon

You are so right Holly, The Fulton County District Attorney wouldn't know Todd Bertuzzi if he jumped him from behind and broke his...oh, sorry.

Old
07-02-2004, 07:28 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
The charges aren't frivolous, we can all agree on that. The legal system everywhere takes time, and no DA in or out of his/her right mind would try for an indictment so quickly. There's a lower burden of proof need for an indictment as opposed to trial, but you still have to have all your ducks in a row before you think about going in front of a grand jury.

You should go back and read Holly's post. She explains it much better than I do.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Youreallygotme

I feel sorry for him, but hey, justice is served, right?

Old
07-02-2004, 09:44 PM
tigger

At the present, this whole discussion is moot anyway, because the indictment didn't happen today. According to what I've read, the Fulton County grand jury only meets twice a week -- Tuesday and Friday, so we'll probably be re-visiting this issue at this time next week.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:13 PM
XX
... Waiting

Why cant we possibly have more efficient courts? I mean minor crap takes a year or so and the major stuff gets stuck on appeals for 10 years.

Closed Thread