HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2011, 12:21 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Don't want him here. And if he comes here and falls on his face everyone on this board owes me a steak.
That's fine, it'd just be nice if you were able to provide a reason that was based on some sort of validity.

And "falls flat" is all relative. Injuries, as well as the future decisions made by the people in charge of the team, will determine the success. But, at least it won't be because the player is just not good enough, because the player has clearly proven that he is.

If Richards was signed and it failed to work out, I would not be as angry as I was with Gomez and Redden. This one actually makes sense. There is logic behind it. There is never a guarantee, but you must strive to make the moves that make the most sense. This move makes sense.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:37 AM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
And to make it worse, they traded Neal.

I understand they needed a defenseman, but IMO, its a pretty awful deal for them.

Next season they'll have lost two thirds of their top line, the main reason they were successful earlier in the season, other then Benn.

No skin off our backs, though. I'll take Richards and run.

Our center depth instantly becomes credible, and our PP, in theory, instantly becomes credible.

There's an inherent risk when talking about big money acquisitions. But, with the pedigree there, the potential for success outweighs the risk, IMO.

Tortorella-Richards connection.

Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe.

Leader.

Elite level skill.

The ONLY risk is he won't perform. I doubt very much he hits a wall all of a sudden.
He's hitting a wall already the last half of this season. He's no where near the player he was at the beginning of it. Remember how everyone always said there were signs of Redden was declining? Richards has not been the same player since Jan that he was in November, and he's not the same player now after the concussion he was in Jan.

I'm a Stars fan #1, Rangers fan #2. Either way I'm probably going to be rooting for a team that employs Brad Richards next year, so his success is important to me. But I've watched every Stars game this year, and he's not the player this board thinks he is. His points flourished under Crawford's open system where he can do w/e he wants with the puck. The Rangers play an entirely different game from the Stars. Its honestly like watching night and day. The grinding, behind the net cycling the Rangers do doesn't mesh with Brad's style, which is having a lot of guys with open space to make that unbelievable pass to.

I wouldn't mind if he stayed a Star, I wouldn't mind if he comes to NYC. But its annoying to read this board and see my fellow Blueshirts drooling over a guy they really don't watch, just because of his statline and pedigree. The same fans who constantly hate on Sather for his UFA signings. Believe me, signing Richards to a long term deal at a 7mil cap hit has as much potential to hurt this franchise as the Drury deal did.

Old
03-31-2011, 02:02 AM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
That's fine, it'd just be nice if you were able to provide a reason that was based on some sort of validity.

And "falls flat" is all relative. Injuries, as well as the future decisions made by the people in charge of the team, will determine the success. But, at least it won't be because the player is just not good enough, because the player has clearly proven that he is.

If Richards was signed and it failed to work out, I would not be as angry as I was with Gomez and Redden. This one actually makes sense. There is logic behind it. There is never a guarantee, but you must strive to make the moves that make the most sense. This move makes sense.
Well that's the thing, I can't. There's no validity, and there's no logic, I just feel it. Something is just telling me he'd be a disaster here. I understand 100% that this doesn't work for you as a reason to not go after him, but as you can imagine, it's more than enough for me.

Old
04-01-2011, 01:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
His points flourished under Crawford's open system where he can do w/e he wants with the puck. The Rangers play an entirely different game from the Stars. Its honestly like watching night and day. The grinding, behind the net cycling the Rangers do doesn't mesh with Brad's style, which is having a lot of guys with open space to make that unbelievable pass to.
But you're missing an incredibly important issue here. The Rangers play the way they do precisely because they don't have a Brad Richards. They don't have elite puck distributors. They can't set up or execute plays that require a lot of skill. If they get Richards, the way they play would without a doubt change. Both teams cycle a lot. The difference is the Rangers cycles go nowhere because all they can do is shuffle the puck around the boards and try wraparounds or stuff ins, where as the Stars (or any team with quality puckhandlers and passers) use the cycle to create high-quality scoring chances from the slot, the point, or the top of the circles.

Quote:
But its annoying to read this board and see my fellow Blueshirts drooling over a guy they really don't watch, just because of his statline and pedigree. The same fans who constantly hate on Sather for his UFA signings. Believe me, signing Richards to a long term deal at a 7mil cap hit has as much potential to hurt this franchise as the Drury deal did.
I've watched a ton of Stars hockey since they acquired Richards and I don't agree with the assessment. It's not about his statline. His skill level dwarfs anyone on the Rangers. And he's exactly the kind of player the team needs.

Old
04-01-2011, 01:56 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
He's hitting a wall already the last half of this season. He's no where near the player he was at the beginning of it. Remember how everyone always said there were signs of Redden was declining? Richards has not been the same player since Jan that he was in November, and he's not the same player now after the concussion he was in Jan.
To me, Redden's decline was over 2 years, Brad's "decline" is 2 months? Part of which he was injured for.. I don't think you can compare the two.

Old
04-01-2011, 02:03 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I've watched a ton of Stars hockey since they acquired Richards and I don't agree with the assessment. It's not about his statline. His skill level dwarfs anyone on the Rangers. And he's exactly the kind of player the team needs.
My concern is how long will he be able to maintain his current level of play. I know 31 isn't over the hill...but we are a young team whose core is just beginning to enter their prime. I don't want to sign Richards just because he's the only guy available...not if he is entering the downswing of his career. We all know any deal isn't going to be for 2 or 3 years...so I think it's reasonable to question how his game will evolve. What will his production be 3, 4 even 5 years from now at age 34, 35 and 36? We're talking about a ton of cap space going to a player who we are hoping will be able to maintain his health and high level of play during a stretch when most players are able to maintain neither. I wonder if we'd be better off going in a different direction. If past history is any indication that might be the best course of action.

Old
04-01-2011, 02:43 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
My concern is how long will he be able to maintain his current level of play. I know 31 isn't over the hill...but we are a young team whose core is just beginning to enter their prime. I don't want to sign Richards just because he's the only guy available...not if he is entering the downswing of his career. We all know any deal isn't going to be for 2 or 3 years...so I think it's reasonable to question how his game will evolve. What will his production be 3, 4 even 5 years from now at age 34, 35 and 36? We're talking about a ton of cap space going to a player who we are hoping will be able to maintain his health and high level of play during a stretch when most players are able to maintain neither. I wonder if we'd be better off going in a different direction. If past history is any indication that might be the best course of action.
I agree. Lets Pass unless he takes a 3 year deal. Anything more than that is pass time.

Old
04-01-2011, 10:47 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I agree. Lets Pass unless he takes a 3 year deal. Anything more than that is pass time.
Ha!

Put yourself in Brad's position. He is not taking a 3 year deal. He is looking for his final contract. He will get a 7 or 8 year deal, and he is gonna get it from Glen Sather.

One thing that I think people are forgetting about Brad is his elite ability to play the point on the power play, and QB it.

How long has it been since we've had a badass PP QB on the point? Leetch?

Adam Tensta's from the 163
Old
04-02-2011, 12:52 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Ha!

Put yourself in Brad's position. He is not taking a 3 year deal. He is looking for his final contract. He will get a 7 or 8 year deal, and he is gonna get it from Glen Sather.

One thing that I think people are forgetting about Brad is his elite ability to play the point on the power play, and QB it.

How long has it been since we've had a badass PP QB on the point? Leetch?
While most of us will agree that he isn't taking a 3 year deal I don't think Sather is going to offer up a 7 or 8 year contract either. Not for a 31 year old. In the end it will be in the 5-6 year range...which still leaves me with the same concerns about his level of play 3, 4, 5+ years from now at age 34, 35, 36+. The only way it goes beyond 5/6 years is if it's one of those cap circumventing deals that pays him 2M and then 1M in his final seasons. But I don't think Sather approves of those.

Old
04-02-2011, 01:14 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
While most of us will agree that he isn't taking a 3 year deal I don't think Sather is going to offer up a 7 or 8 year contract either. Not for a 31 year old.
You never know with Slats, all logic and reason go out the window on July 1st.

Old
04-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Vitto79

Stars looking done after Kings win

Old
04-02-2011, 08:08 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
While most of us will agree that he isn't taking a 3 year deal I don't think Sather is going to offer up a 7 or 8 year contract either. Not for a 31 year old.
I DEFINITELY think it will be a 6-7 year deal.

In fact I am 97% sure he won't sign anything lower than a 6 year deal. He wants this to be his last contract and he will make it that way.

04-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I DEFINITELY think it will be a 6-7 year deal.

In fact I am 97% sure he won't sign anything lower than a 6 year deal. He wants this to be his last contract and he will make it that way.
6 years sounds right to me., unless they go circumvention.

There can be... certain retirement contract aspects as long as they dont go overboard.

Old
04-02-2011, 08:37 PM
bourgeoisie
Je suis Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
6 years sounds right to me., unless they go circumvention.

There can be... certain retirement contract aspects as long as they dont go overboard.
I am absolutely willing to explore those options.... But it doesn't appear to be Slats' style. Im thinking 8 years with around 2 mil for the final 3 years

Old
04-02-2011, 08:48 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Richards was the best player on the ice for the Stars today. He can play for me.

Old
04-02-2011, 09:41 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Richards was the best player on the ice for the Stars today. He can play for me.
While I'm glad someone else is actually watching Stars games on this board, I can't agree. Just because he had the goal didn't make him the best, and he was quite pedestrian defending the EN.

Anyways I highly doubt the Stars will sort their ownership issues out before July 1st, so he's probably going to come here or Tampa no matter what.

Old
04-02-2011, 09:50 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
While I'm glad someone else is actually watching Stars games on this board, I can't agree. Just because he had the goal didn't make him the best, and he was quite pedestrian defending the EN.

Anyways I highly doubt the Stars will sort their ownership issues out before July 1st, so he's probably going to come here or Tampa no matter what.
I don't see any way he goes to Tampa.

Stamkos is going to command a contract 8-10 mill per year and Richards another 7-8 mill I don't think Tampa could afford all that.

Also they are loaded at center and I don't see Richards switching to wing long term even though he said he would.

Old
04-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Tampa makes no real sense. In fantasy land, yeah, it'd be nice to see him go back to his roots with Vinny and Marty, but they need defense first and foremost.

04-02-2011, 10:00 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:

Did you watch him backcheck? He saved two odd man rushes by hustling back to cover the odd man. Gaborik should take notice. He went into the corners. He hit and took hits. And he scored and created other scoring opportunities. What more do you want?

Old
04-02-2011, 10:18 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Did you watch him backcheck? He saved two odd man rushes by hustling back to cover the odd man. Gaborik should take notice. He went into the corners. He hit and took hits. And he scored and created other scoring opportunities. What more do you want?
The Richards from November back. The whole team has looked disinterested for months now.

Old
04-02-2011, 10:24 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
The Richards from November back. The whole team has looked disinterested for months now.
You can't blame Richards for that

Especially if bobbop saying that Richards was hustling back on d is right.

Old
04-02-2011, 10:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Richards is the best player for the Stars most nights. The man is just a fantastic passer. That's all that matters. You don't get him to play great defense (even though he's hardly a bad defender). He knows, better than most, what to do with the puck, when to do it, how to do it, and where to do it.

There is no one on this team that can do that. No one can even come close to doing it like he does.

And having watched a lot of Stars games this season, I don't think it's so much that the team is disinterested but rather they just aren't a very good team to begin with. They were playing over their heads early in the season, while some other, decent Western Conference teams were underachieving (Anaheim, San Jose, both in Dallas' division, come to mind).

The Stars have a really weak group of defensemen and Kari Lehtonen is not good enough to make up for that.

Old
04-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

they traded Neal...that was dumb.

Old
04-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
they traded Neal...that was dumb.
And that oh so great Neal has 1 goal since being traded.

While Goligoski is one of the only reasons the Stars are still relevant this season.

Neal is getting so overrated it's not even funny. Dallas' blueline is one of the worst in the league. Adding Goligoski was a huge boost, and gave them an actual, legitimate puckmover. They dealt from a position of strength to address a position of weakness. That's not dumb.

Old
04-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
And that oh so great Neal has 1 goal since being traded.

While Goligoski is one of the only reasons the Stars are still relevant this season.

Neal is getting so overrated it's not even funny. Dallas' blueline is one of the worst in the league. Adding Goligoski was a huge boost, and gave them an actual, legitimate puckmover. They dealt from a position of strength to address a position of weakness. That's not dumb.
he was good in Dallas...but ill admit, i havent seen them play in a LOOONG while so i dont know how good or bad goligoski has been.

Closed Thread