HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
  #501
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Indeed.

We need more than Richards, so we shouldn't sign him at all? I don't see how parading EC around as our 1st line center for another year is going to help matters.

This team needs help offensively. I know some posters want to stand pat and stick with our youth, but that alone won't get it done. If the Rangers have an opportunity to acquire any sort of talent, they need to do it.
If we sign Richards we may not be able to afford anyone else. Thus the rub.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
  #502
Islanderfan72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
I still don't know how you guys plan on Richards fitting under the cap. You got 18 million to play with and a lot of it is going to go to your rfa's.

Dubinsky=4 million
Callahan=3.5 million
Boyle=2 million
Anisimov=1.5 million
sauer=1 million

that leaves 6 million with 2 more defensman to fit in.

Unless you make a trade or buy out Drury, I don't see richards coming to New York. Even buying out drury will be really close to the cap, and you have dead cap space for 2 years.

Islanderfan72 is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:03 PM
  #503
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
I still don't know how you guys plan on Richards fitting under the cap. You got 18 million to play with and a lot of it is going to go to your rfa's.

Dubinsky=4 million
Callahan=3.5 million
Boyle=2 million
Anisimov=1.5 million
sauer=1 million

that leaves 6 million with 2 more defensman to fit in.

Unless you make a trade or buy out Drury, I don't see richards coming to New York. Even buying out drury will be really close to the cap, and you have dead cap space for 2 years.
We've posted it a bunch of times. It can be done. But yes, Drury has to be retired or bought out. His cap hit is only 3.5 or so million next year and under 2 in 2012.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:08 PM
  #504
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
I"m not sure I buy the rationale of his high expectations causing his slow start, but I see where you're coming from. If he does actually stay at BC, I think it will be a very telling year.

Also, should I take it that you're abandoning your previous statement about York dispensing ice time based on class standing? And I'm curious which teammates you fault for 'not knowing how to get Kreider the puck?'
I think it's a matter of him going to open spaces that, were he in the pros, he'd get a pass and a scoring chance, but in the lower levels they're really not looking to hit him in those spots as much. I think it happened even in the last WJC. He'd find open ice and nobody would find him.

As far as the line thing goes, I never said he was playing on the fourth line. My objection is that Kreider should've been getting first line and first powerplay unit time this season based on his talent. I understand that York doesn't put his lines together that way, but that's a big part of the reason I would've preferred he played junior hockey. At this point I just want him in the AHL, where I think he'll step up his game in accordance with the new challenge level. We'll see how he does at the World Championships this summer.

Zil is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:13 PM
  #505
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If we sign Richards we may not be able to afford anyone else. Thus the rub.
At this point, I'd consider dumping someone like Wolski, whose contract is not exactly great in proportion to how much he produces, to sign Richards. Time to get rid of some of those inconsistent players and bring in some real talent.

Also, if Boyle's cap hit could potentially be $2 million or higher, I'd consider moving him as well. I have my doubts that he'll put up a 20 goal season again (or even a 15 goal season).

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:18 PM
  #506
Dantes19
Registered User
 
Dantes19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ed View Post
ive seen kreider play a fair amount. i honestly believe he is the real deal. he played with the hayes brothers for the most part and they arent great distributors, on the pp he was never the focal point either he usually was jammed in front. york didnt look to utilize him. he was great on the pk as well, his speed is unbelievable.
His speed is great, no doubt. The Hayes brothers aren't Adam Oates out there, but when you're playing on a line with a 1st round pick & a 2nd round pick, one of whom has put up 22 assists in 42 games, I would think that would be enough help to put up better numbers than he did. And although his PP may not have been the best (though I can recall many times when I saw him on the PP not jammed in front), he did get a good amount of PP time.

I"m not saying that Kreider did poorly. I'm saying that I don't think his performance has matched expectations, and there's a cause for a bit of concern. I'm not saying that he's a bust; it's very possible that he'll become a great NHL winger.

Dantes19 is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:22 PM
  #507
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
I still don't know how you guys plan on Richards fitting under the cap. You got 18 million to play with and a lot of it is going to go to your rfa's.

Dubinsky=4 million
Callahan=3.5 million
Boyle=2 million
Anisimov=1.5 million
sauer=1 million

that leaves 6 million with 2 more defensman to fit in.

Unless you make a trade or buy out Drury, I don't see richards coming to New York. Even buying out drury will be really close to the cap, and you have dead cap space for 2 years.
First of all, you're using the 2010-11 cap number. Just about everywhere I've read has the cap going up to at least $62.4 million, an increase of $2.8 million. Also, Boogaard is part of those commitments, and, it's likely he will not play again for the Rangers, so another $1.65 will come off the regular season cap. Hell, the Rangers could even send Wolski to the AHL if need be. The Rangers will be a viable player for Richards, and can create space to add him.

jas is online now  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:24 PM
  #508
Dantes19
Registered User
 
Dantes19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
As far as the line thing goes, I never said he was playing on the fourth line. My objection is that Kreider should've been getting first line and first powerplay unit time this season based on his talent. I understand that York doesn't put his lines together that way, but that's a big part of the reason I would've preferred he played junior hockey. At this point I just want him in the AHL, where I think he'll step up his game in accordance with the new challenge level. We'll see how he does at the World Championships this summer.

I can agree with what you said here and I also would like to see him in the AHL this year. I still there's a chance that we might.

Dantes19 is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:25 PM
  #509
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,288
vCash: 500
We have a lot of "B" players and some solid "A" players.

Porblem is we are in a "AAA" league

__________________
WIN NOW
Blueshirt Special is online now  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:30 PM
  #510
Islanderfan72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
First of all, you're using the 2010-11 cap number. Just about everywhere I've read has the cap going up to at least $62.4 million, an increase of $2.8 million. Also, Boogaard is part of those commitments, and, it's likely he will not play again for the Rangers, so another $1.65 will come off the regular season cap. Hell, the Rangers could even send Wolski to the AHL if need be. The Rangers will be a viable player for Richards, and can create space to add him.
I factored a 2 million dollar bump up in the cap (you have 16 million in free cap space right now for next year) Plus you want to leave a 1-2 million dollar cushion for a trade at the deadline. Also it sounds like you are completly destructing the team, not just adding one player.

It also just seems to me that a lot of you expect one player to solve the teams problems. I can't see that happening. As good as Richards was for that cup run, he needed St. Louis and Lecavalier. Those two calibar players are not on the rangers.

Islanderfan72 is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:34 PM
  #511
3Four3
Registered User
 
3Four3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
I factored a 2 million dollar bump up in the cap (you have 16.8 million right now for next year) Plus you want to leave a 1-2 million dollar cushion for a trade at the deadline. Also it sounds like you are completly destructing the team, not just adding one player.

It also just seems to me that a lot of you expect one player to solve the teams problems. I can't see that happeneing. As good as Richards was for that cup run, he needed St. Louis and Lecavalier. Those two calibar players are not on the rangers.
You really think everyone on the Rangers right now will stay a Ranger?

3Four3 is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:37 PM
  #512
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
I factored a 2 million dollar bump up in the cap (you have 16.8 million right now for next year) Plus you want to leave a 1-2 million dollar cushion for a trade at the deadline. Also it sounds like you are completly destructing the team, not just adding one player.

It also just seems to me that a lot of you expect one player to solve the teams problems. I can't see that happeneing. As good as Richards was for that cup run, he needed St. Louis and Lecavalier. Those two calibar players are not on the rangers.
CapGeek

$1,865,278 as per CapGeek, with the $59.4 million figure. What deconstructing? Richards becomes the 1st line center, with Stepan, Anisimov and Boyle behind him...Dubinsky, Gaborik, Callahan and Prust as the other key forwards retained. The mantra has been to continue to infuse youth, so players like Hagelin, Grachev and MZA will get full looks. If needed , you add non-roster tryouts in September for vets looking to find a job. It's worked the past two years with Prospal and Fedetenko.

jas is online now  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:52 PM
  #513
Islanderfan72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
CapGeek

$1,865,278 as per CapGeek, with the $59.4 million figure. What deconstructing? Richards becomes the 1st line center, with Stepan, Anisimov and Boyle behind him...Dubinsky, Gaborik, Callahan and Prust as the other key forwards retained. The mantra has been to continue to infuse youth, so players like Hagelin, Grachev and MZA will get full looks. If needed , you add non-roster tryouts in September for vets looking to find a job. It's worked the past two years with Prospal and Fedetenko.
the 1.8 million is what you can pay each player to fit under the cap. The total cap space is 16.7 million. Bump that up 2.3 million and its 19 million in free cap space.

I just see a lot of people thinking Richards is a slam dunk to sign, and I don't see it that way. (Unless he takes a big pay cut and I don't see why he would do that.) He is going to have offers from other teams.

Also like I said before, adding one player won't make this team too much better. Richards had St. Louis and Lecavalier in Tampa.

I don't want to fight with you, but I just don't think it is going to be so easy to open up cap space for Richards. You already have a 6.5 million dollar salary in the AHL. I know there is a bottomless pit, but it would seem sillly to have 12 million in the AHL.

Islanderfan72 is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:55 PM
  #514
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
A lot of you are going to be shocked how little Richards is going to help this team. He will help, but not to the extent you guys think he will.

We don't have a player who can take control of a game based on skill alone. Richards wont do that. Gaborik hasn't done that for a long time.

I'm talking someone like Jagr. The last time we had a player who had that ability; it was Jagr. Pit has Crosby, Malkin.....NJ has Parise, Kovalchuk....we don't have those players who just take over games.

Richards alone doesn't do it.

hpNYR is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 10:58 PM
  #515
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
the 1.8 million is what you can pay each player to fit under the cap. The total cap space is 16.7 million. Bump that up 2.3 million and its 19 million in free cap space.

I just see a lot of people thinking Richards is a slam dunk to sign, and I don't see it that way. (Unless he takes a big pay cut and I don't see why he would do that.) He is going to have offers from other teams.

Also like I said before, adding one player won't make this team too much better. Richards had St. Louis and Lecavalier in Tampa.

I don't want to fight with you, but I just don't think it is going to be so easy to open up cap space for Richards. You already have a 6.5 million dollar salary in the AHL. I know there is a bottomless pit, but it would seem sillly to have 12 million in the AHL.
No one thinks it a slam dunk to sign him. However, Dreger did have reports that the Rangers were the one team at the deadline that he'd be willing to waive his NTC for. And, while you may not see how it can be done, just about every hockey source I can think expect the Rangers to pursue him, which would tell me they believe they have the ability to bring him in, and be cap-compliant.

jas is online now  
Old
04-15-2011, 11:03 PM
  #516
TheRedViper
Registered User
 
TheRedViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
A lot of you are going to be shocked how little Richards is going to help this team. He will help, but not to the extent you guys think he will.

We don't have a player who can take control of a game based on skill alone. Richards wont do that. Gaborik hasn't done that for a long time.

I'm talking someone like Jagr. The last time we had a player who had that ability; it was Jagr. Pit has Crosby, Malkin.....NJ has Parise, Kovalchuk....we don't have those players who just take over games.

Richards alone doesn't do it.
Richards won't be alone, he'll have Gaborik, another potential elite player to play with. Gaborik+ Richards will command the opposing top D pair, leaving Dubi-Artem-Cally to play against 2nd pairing or worse dmen. He also with give us a legitimate option to QB the PP which is another big issue. We have a solid supporting cast going from our 2nd line right down to our 3rd pair on D. The issue on this team is the top line and the PP, Richards has the ability to fix both.

TheRedViper is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 11:10 PM
  #517
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
A lot of you are going to be shocked how little Richards is going to help this team. He will help, but not to the extent you guys think he will.
I agree but I'm also just not excited to hand what will most likely be a retirement contract to yet another UFA on the wrong side of 30.

Boring.

dedalus is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 11:11 PM
  #518
TheRedViper
Registered User
 
TheRedViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,322
vCash: 500
FORWARDS
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.500m)
Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Brian Boyle ($1.525m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
/ Erik Christensen ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.000m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m) / Steve Eminger ($1.125m)
/ Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,925,000; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $475,000

This doesn't take into affect if we dumb Christensen to CT, or Avery to CT. Also includes a 7th D and a 13th F that we don't need to utilise. Also includes Drury @ 7m. Adding Richards can be done.

TheRedViper is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 11:18 PM
  #519
Uncle Ed
Registered User
 
Uncle Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SI NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
His speed is great, no doubt. The Hayes brothers aren't Adam Oates out there, but when you're playing on a line with a 1st round pick & a 2nd round pick, one of whom has put up 22 assists in 42 games, I would think that would be enough help to put up better numbers than he did. And although his PP may not have been the best (though I can recall many times when I saw him on the PP not jammed in front), he did get a good amount of PP time.

I"m not saying that Kreider did poorly. I'm saying that I don't think his performance has matched expectations, and there's a cause for a bit of concern. I'm not saying that he's a bust; it's very possible that he'll become a great NHL winger.

yeah i hear you on that but im just not worried because i see plenty of flashes of brilliance. i also know we will utilize him more, not all players in college take over i mean not everyone is paul kariya.

Uncle Ed is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 11:19 PM
  #520
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,966
vCash: 500
Richards won't be enough to win a cup. Rangers really need Richards, and another star forward....they sure as hell better hope Kreider develops into that guy, and soon, because signing richards makes us a 2nd round playoff team at best imho.

Inferno is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 11:22 PM
  #521
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Richards won't be enough to win a cup. Rangers really need Richards, and another star forward....they sure as hell better hope Kreider develops into that guy, and soon, because signing richards makes us a 2nd round playoff team at best imho.

PARISE

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 11:32 PM
  #522
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
PARISE


That would be the miracle of all miracles. IF the Rangers could get Parise and Richards, then yes, they are a legitimate stanley cup contender. it aint happening, but u know what i mean.

Inferno is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 11:34 PM
  #523
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,966
vCash: 500
god, i have wood just thinkinga bout this lineup:

Parise - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - AA - Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Grachev
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

Only way to fit it in under the cap would be to have 3 more rookies in the lineup. but still...thats a legit stanley cup contender imho.

Inferno is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 11:55 PM
  #524
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 50,502
vCash: 561
A concussion prone center on the wrong side of 30 who will probably demand 8 million a year for 7-8 years. I'm very hesitant on making this move. I'd rather trade up in the draft for a center.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
04-15-2011, 11:56 PM
  #525
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 50,502
vCash: 561
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Parise a restricted free agent? As much as I love the guy, what would we have to give up in compensation?

Bob Richards is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.