HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2011, 11:57 PM
TheRedViper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
A concussion prone center on the wrong side of 30 who will probably demand 8 million a year for 7-8 years. I'm very hesitant on making this move. I'd rather trade up in the draft for a center.
Concussion prone? And he's not getting 8/64

Old
04-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Parise a restricted free agent? As much as I love the guy, what would we have to give up in compensation?
5 first rounders essentially. but, you have to figure joizee will match whatever he signs regardless.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
I still don't know how you guys plan on Richards fitting under the cap. You got 18 million to play with and a lot of it is going to go to your rfa's.

Dubinsky=4 million
Callahan=3.5 million
Boyle=2 million
Anisimov=1.5 million
sauer=1 million

that leaves 6 million with 2 more defensman to fit in.

Unless you make a trade or buy out Drury, I don't see richards coming to New York. Even buying out drury will be really close to the cap, and you have dead cap space for 2 years.
How on God's green earth does Dubinsky get more than Callahan?

Callahan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dubinsky

Old
04-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Either way, we need to start somewhere.
Exactly, and you don't start with a free agent. We have to commit to a full rebuild or we'll never get anywhere.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Exactly, and you don't start with a free agent. We have to commit to a full rebuild or we'll never get anywhere.
You do not know what it takes to build a team at all. I'm sorry, but you really don't.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:16 AM
TheRedViper

Quote:
We're in the playoffs now with a down year from out top player, 2 rookie forwards for most of the year, and our 2nd d pairing is all rookie. Add a year of experience to the rooks, Anisimov is improving by the year, and in Richards we'd be adding a top line player... I don't understand how this move does not push us forward???

Full rebuild would mean trading Cally,Dubi, Hank, Gaborik and sucking for the next 4-5 years. Sorry, I'll take Richards and being a playoff contender for those 4-5 years.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You do not know what it takes to build a team at all. I'm sorry, but you really don't.
What does it take? The same **** that hasn't worked for 12 seasons? Just when we're starting to almost do things right, we're gonna blow it on yet another free agent? It's scary the way people put trust in Sather. Just keep drinking his kool-aid.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

Everyone thinks Brad Richards will come here like ****ing Jesus, put up 170 points, and make us the best team to ever take the ice.

What if it doesn't work??? Noone seems to be thinking about that at all. We don't live in a perfect world. Matter of fact, we're Rangers fans, which is like the complete opposite. So there's a very real possibility that the Richards move backfires. If it does, we're set back 3 years at least. But noone thinks about this in happy gumdrop land where Richards is the holy savior.

Old
04-16-2011, 05:50 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Everyone thinks Brad Richards will come here like ****ing Jesus, put up 170 points, and make us the best team to ever take the ice.

What if it doesn't work??? Noone seems to be thinking about that at all. We don't live in a perfect world. Matter of fact, we're Rangers fans, which is like the complete opposite. So there's a very real possibility that the Richards move backfires. If it does, we're set back 3 years at least. But noone thinks about this in happy gumdrop land where Richards is the holy savior.
Every team signs free-agents. You can't just stop signing them because Sather doesn't know how to sign them reasonably. Richards fills an obviously glaring hole in this line-up. He's still a top tier-center who can pass, score and QB a PP. If he isn't given a ridiculous contract, it could also potentially be the best signing the Rangers have made in a long time, just as much as it could be another dud.

This isn't Drury, Redden, and Gomez. Gaborik's had one bad year, and even then he still doesn't compare to those former three. If 2 years from now Gabs is still scoring 20 goals in half as many games and doing nothing the other 72, I will finally concede this team is just cursed when it comes to FA and should never sign top-tier talent from the FA pool again.

I'll be the first to say when I think a potential FA signing stinks (I was completely anti-Kovalchuk.) and hope they stay away, but I don't see it here.

Old
04-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Vitto79

Quote:

and what if it does work? What if they let him walk by without trying to pick him up and they are stuck with alot of good yong talent but no #1 line to keep the opponents on their heels at all time

Getting a Brad Richards will make everyone else better. Yea maybe just for the first 2-3 yrs of the contract and then the last 2 would be not as great.

He knows Torts and has won the cup with him before. Getting a BR is safer than getting alot of other top C's out there around his age. He is a proven winner and made guys like Neal and Erikson even better.

Old
04-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
He is a proven winner and made guys like Neal and Erikson even better.
This is very apparent in Neal; since he went to Pittsburgh his offense has dipped considerably. Chemistry and new systems also have an effect obviously, but you can't say that Richards didn't help this guy light it up at the beginning of the season.

Old
04-16-2011, 08:44 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Every team signs free-agents. You can't just stop signing them because Sather doesn't know how to sign them reasonably. Richards fills an obviously glaring hole in this line-up. He's still a top tier-center who can pass, score and QB a PP. If he isn't given a ridiculous contract, it could also potentially be the best signing the Rangers have made in a long time, just as much as it could be another dud.

This isn't Drury, Redden, and Gomez. Gaborik's had one bad year, and even then he still doesn't compare to those former three. If 2 years from now Gabs is still scoring 20 goals in half as many games and doing nothing the other 72, I will finally concede this team is just cursed when it comes to FA and should never sign top-tier talent from the FA pool again.

I'll be the first to say when I think a potential FA signing stinks (I was completely anti-Kovalchuk.) and hope they stay away, but I don't see it here.
Exactly. Free Agents are extremely important, and are necessary if you want to win. Using the draft alone will do absolutely nothing in terms of winning. There needs to be a balance between home growns, trades and free agents. The only reason Machinehead is hesitant about Richards (no offense Machinehead) is that it a similar move in dollars and years that he has already given to Redden, Drury and Gomez. That's the end as far as similarities go though, as Richards is the type of player you use that kind of commitment on, not the aforementioned three.

For the record, I still wish we had Kovalchuk. Put him on the first line with Gaborik and it doesn't matter one bit who your center is. Our PP would have also been a ton better.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:25 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
What does it take? The same **** that hasn't worked for 12 seasons? Just when we're starting to almost do things right, we're gonna blow it on yet another free agent? It's scary the way people put trust in Sather. Just keep drinking his kool-aid.
What does wanting Richards have to do with trusting Sather? I trust Sather as far as I can throw him. It's that reason that leads me to believe that a deal for Richards won't get done.

Quote:

If it doesn't work it doesn't work. You have to take a chance if you want to win but I fail to see how it sets the Rangers back 3 years? Are there other free agents with Richards' pedigree that the Rangers could go with this off-season?

Old
04-16-2011, 10:31 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
If we don't sign an elite player to fill our number one need, that will help us stop being a bubble playoff team, then we're NOT doing things right.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If we don't sign an elite player to fill our number one need, that will help us stop being a bubble playoff team, then we're NOT doing things right.
exactly and we can also argue about it all we want but it's obvious the Rangers are interested in Richards and he is interested in them. Sather is'nt going to read this board and say maybe they are right.

They need an impact top line player and they have ability to do so July 1st.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Bottom line... If u want a chance at the cup during hanks career you'll need to fill with FA(s). There's no one in our system that will provide offense. And as far as I can tell (given Hanks GAA in reg and post season)... That's what we desperately need.

1 goal in two god damn playoff games!!!

Nuff said

Old
04-16-2011, 10:48 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
While I agree that Richards isn't going to fill all of the Rangers holes (I also don't think there's a single team in the modern NHL without holes), he will fill the two biggest, imo (#1C and PPQB). No other single (realistic) piece would go as far in fixing this team as Richards.

I also don't think he alone makes us a Stanley Cup contender (him along with further development of our young core plus Gaborik returning to 2009-2010 form, could though).

However, even Richards alone might have changed the Caps series thus far. We've lost by a single goal and two goals with an entirely inept PP. Richards is more than a point per game player. Replace Drury with Richards and I don't think it implausible that he collects one of those points in the first game of the series.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:50 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Since we've never tanked, we have a great bottom 9 and a very solid, but young and thus inconsistent defense, with the best goalie in the world.

When a 30 year old who's still elite wants to come to your team, you don't say no. You get rid of any pieces besides the core you need to to fit him.

Agreed with the people saying look at Neal- Richards made him light the lamp. I bet he can do the same with Dubinsky (a very similar player) and whoever else is on his line. Richards gives us someone who can change the dimension of our horrendous PP because he can actually pass the puck. He's also defensively responsible.

He's perfect for this team and as long as we don't see our top forwards (Pack line, Gaborik and Stepan) or our top 4 d-men go, I won't be too upset at the moves made to fit him under the cap.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Bottom line... If u want a chance at the cup during hanks career you'll need to fill with FA(s). There's no one in our system that will provide offense. And as far as I can tell (given Hanks GAA in reg and post season)... That's what we desperately need.

1 goal in two god damn playoff games!!!

Nuff said
Agreed. Barring a huge surprise breakout from one of our prospects, in all honesty I don't think any of them have first line potential EXCEPT Kreider. And we have no idea what his intentions are: whether or not he will be staying at BC for 2 years, and even then he might need a year in Hartford.

I am hesitant about Richards because of his age, but it is looking more and more like if we want a first line that can actually score, we're going to have to add him.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Agreed. Barring a huge surprise breakout from one of our prospects, in all honesty I don't think any of them have first line potential EXCEPT Kreider. And we have no idea what his intentions are: whether or not he will be staying at BC for 2 years, and even then he might need a year in Hartford.

I am hesitant about Richards because of his age, but it is looking more and more like if we want a first line that can actually score, we're going to have to add him.
Stepan absolutely has first line potential. Thomas has first line potential as well.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Stepan absolutely has first line potential. Thomas has first line potential as well.
Fair enough, I can see those 2 guys becoming first liners as well.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:51 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Are you nuts or something? This is a rebuild. We're about 75% along. You've obviously not been paying much attention to what is going on here.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:04 PM
coolbean04

I definitely think we can sign Richards.

We can give him a contract of 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 6, 6, 4, 2, 2.

10/60M = 6M cap hit.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:26 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post

It is correct that every good team signs free agents in the offseason; however, unless a Crosby type player is available, they sign players that augment there existing team. Many people on this site are not looking for Brad Richards to augment this team. Instead, they expect him to be the team. I agree that he is a great player, but every year the fan base is certain that we are one free agent away from the pie.

I am not saying that we should tank. We finally have some good homegrown talent. The problem is that the top teams drafted top players and then signed or traded for great augmenting players.

Quite frankly, this team is in a very difficult position as far as future success is concerned.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:39 PM
TrollololBoyle

The rebuild is done. We have the players to build around, now we need to trade away the ones we don't see as a fit for a good player we can use, and sign FAs to round out the roster. BR is that free agent.

Closed Thread