HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2011, 04:15 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
If you watch the Rangers closely, you'll realize that there isnt a single player on either defense or at forward who has the skills Brad Richards possesses, and that includes gaborik. There also isnt a single prospect who will develop into a 90-point a year playmaker who can center the top line and run the power play.

I mean we have Erik Friggin Christainsen centering our top line and Anisimov has been dropped to the 4th line. Anybody who doesnt see that as a major organizational problem needs to get their heads checked.

It's no coincidence that the Rangers have been pathetic on the power play since Nylander left. You pair up a super set up man with a sniper like Gaborik and the Rangers will have a top-10 PP again.

Old
04-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Everyone thinks Brad Richards will come here like ****ing Jesus, put up 170 points, and make us the best team to ever take the ice.

What if it doesn't work??? Noone seems to be thinking about that at all. We don't live in a perfect world. Matter of fact, we're Rangers fans, which is like the complete opposite. So there's a very real possibility that the Richards move backfires. If it does, we're set back 3 years at least. But noone thinks about this in happy gumdrop land where Richards is the holy savior.
Very True. This is why I'm so hesitant to the idea of him getting signed but then you have to wonder, what if it does work? What if he and Gabby have some amazing chemistry and Gabs turns into a 50 goal scorer. He definatley has the talent, he just lacks the set up man.

Old
04-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

It really becomes an issue of "if not him then who?"

I'm not saying Richards is THE answer. But as good as Kreider may be, or even anyone else in our system (& I'm hearing a certain russian name less and less) we have no one that can score.

As young and as inconsistent our d may be... They've allowed 1.5 goals per in the playoffs... Hank is certainly a huge part of that. But while that d gains experience, there are others coming up who'll help also. The d is not the problem.

Scoring goals has been, is and will be a problem until a FA (or two) is signed or a trade is made. Anyone waiting for Kreider, Thomas, et all has a while to wait and with NO guarantee that they be anything except another player with potential.

I'm not advocating selling either of them, or any youth for that matter... But something needs to be done to provide offense. Richards? Maybe. Otherwise it's a waste of q great goaltender's career.

Old
04-16-2011, 05:21 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
It is correct that every good team signs free agents in the offseason; however, unless a Crosby type player is available, they sign players that augment there existing team. Many people on this site are not looking for Brad Richards to augment this team. Instead, they expect him to be the team. I agree that he is a great player, but every year the fan base is certain that we are one free agent away from the pie.

I am not saying that we should tank. We finally have some good homegrown talent. The problem is that the top teams drafted top players and then signed or traded for great augmenting players.

Quite frankly, this team is in a very difficult position as far as future success is concerned.
Brad Richards is not 'the team'. The team is Dubinsky and Callahan, Here is what we are looking at.

_______-_______-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello
Avery-Boyle-Prust

Our team is the players on the 2nd and 4th lines (minus Avery). Our team is built around their play, but none of them are first liners. With Richards, Gaborik and whoever on the first line, they push everyone down a line making the team deeper, and stronger. This team can't survive on it's playing style alone.

The team is already built, it needs that one center to round everything out, and that center is Richards.

There is nothing wrong with signing a FA like Richards, the problem is that there are not many players of Richards' caliber or even better that hit the market in today's NHL. You could wait for a guy like Sharp next year, who fits are style a little bit more, or the next year and pray to god that a guy like Getzlaf, Perry or Crosby will be available, but it won't happen. Those guys will re-sign with there teams before they even touch free agency. It's either that or trade for the next Kovalchuk, but that's just as unlikely to happen.

Last edited by TrollololBoyle: 04-16-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old
04-16-2011, 05:25 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
People - Brad Richards is not Chris Drury or Scott Gomez. He's not going to magically become a 50 point player if we sign him. It doesn't work like that. Even with Gomez, he got 71 points his first year here. His 2nd year, the team was in a complete anemic state in terms of offense. Drury was never as talented as Richards, but Sather thought he was worth 7 m with the anomaly of a 37 goal year he had, playing on a completely stacked offensive team. Richards doesn't need a stacked team to score. He and Gaborik together would give us a legitimate scoring threat, something that Christensen and Gaborik can't provide us. Jesus, use your brain.

04-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

The above post shows a great line diagram.

Take a real hard look at it... Those blanks are PRECISELY what's missing. Again Brad Richards isn't THE answer... He may be part of it, he may be older, somewhat damaged and a bit of a risk. He'll certainly be overpriced. But if u can add him without losing some of the other pieces there it's a no brainer... U take that risk. You try to make a move for another dangerous piece with your pick(s) and prospects and you do it. You go for it in the next few yrs, you hope Gabby can be the guy he was in the past and you try while Hank is young... The way he gets beat up his career won't be a long one and once he's gone it's over and the true rebuild will HAVE to begin.

Old
04-16-2011, 05:56 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
People - Brad Richards is not Chris Drury or Scott Gomez. He's not going to magically become a 50 point player if we sign him. It doesn't work like that. Even with Gomez, he got 71 points his first year here. His 2nd year, the team was in a complete anemic state in terms of offense. Drury was never as talented as Richards, but Sather thought he was worth 7 m with the anomaly of a 37 goal year he had, playing on a completely stacked offensive team. Richards doesn't need a stacked team to score. He and Gaborik together would give us a legitimate scoring threat, something that Christensen and Gaborik can't provide us. Jesus, use your brain.
To add to that. When Drury and Gomez were brought in, they were expected to be the offense. We have an offense in the many 20 goal scorers we have had this year, now we need someone who can tap into that offense and make it work, and make it work more consistently.

Old
04-16-2011, 08:56 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Eklund

LINK

so this means it's either really likely we get him, or really likely we don't, depending on your slant on the source. For the sake of conversation, I will go with the "bodes well" camp. Hopefully this translates into getting Richards signed to a sane deal. PLEASE have learned your UFA lessons Slats!

Quote:
RUMOR: Brad Richards wants to be a Ranger (e4)

It has long believed that three teams will dominate the Brad Richards sweeps this summer, Toronto, LA, and the NY Rangers. There are those who feel the Leafs will attempt to blow away all competitors, in fact I had a source, a scout who told me straight out teams aren't even thinking about Brad because the Leafs offer will be too high.

However, there are those today, one source close to both Brad Richards and Martin St. Louis, who tells me Brad wants to play for Torts and wants be a NY Ranger...I have heard that Tortorella and Richards talk constantly so this concept wouldn't shock me...and there is no doubt the Rangers need scoring...

Old
04-16-2011, 08:59 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
LINK

so this means it's either really likely we get him, or really likely we don't, depending on your slant on the source. For the sake of conversation, I will go with the "bodes well" camp. Hopefully this translates into getting Richards signed to a sane deal. PLEASE have learned your UFA lessons Slats!
Brad Richards will be, in order of possibilities:

1) A Ranger
2) A King
3) A Star

He is NOT going to Toronto, he basically wrote them off. He is not going to Tampa because it's not a wise move on their part, and I really don't see him going anywhere else.

04-16-2011, 09:11 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post

1) A Ranger
2) A King
3) A Star

He is NOT going to Toronto, he basically wrote them off. He is not going to Tampa because it's not a wise move on their part, and I really don't see him going anywhere else.
says your sources
i've the article too. it just says "no real interest" via "an old Tampa bay source" so just because the article's author is right there, it's really supposed to be any more credible? If Toronto faxes him a $9M yearly offer on July 1st, you don't think he looks at it and raises an eyebrow? At the very least, he can use it as leverage. Hopefully he really truly wants to play for the Rangers and knows too high of a cap hit will handicap the team. I think the best I can hope for is that he gets the same deal as Gaborik. 5 years at $7.5M. I think it's be great if Sather could establish a mark. That is the best contract you can get from the Rangers from now on. 5 years $7.5M. You gotta want to be a Ranger to turn down better terms, take our money and play for us.

Old
04-16-2011, 09:55 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post

1) A Ranger
2) A King
3) A Star

I also can't see Richards going back to Dallas now that Crawford was fired and they still haven't figured out their ownership problems.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:28 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
says your sources
i've the article too. it just says "no real interest" via "an old Tampa bay source" so just because the article's author is right there, it's really supposed to be any more credible? If Toronto faxes him a $9M yearly offer on July 1st, you don't think he looks at it and raises an eyebrow? At the very least, he can use it as leverage. Hopefully he really truly wants to play for the Rangers and knows too high of a cap hit will handicap the team. I think the best I can hope for is that he gets the same deal as Gaborik. 5 years at $7.5M. I think it's be great if Sather could establish a mark. That is the best contract you can get from the Rangers from now on. 5 years $7.5M. You gotta want to be a Ranger to turn down better terms, take our money and play for us.
I wish I had sources It just doesn't seem logical to me to seem him going to a place like Toronto or Tampa. I don't think he wants to deal with a full rebuild of Toronto (while we are in somewhat of a rebuild we have Torts and Toronto doesn't).

It also doesn't make sense for him to go back to Tampa, imo.

Quote:
I also can't see Richards going back to Dallas now that Crawford was fired and they still haven't figured out their ownership problems.
Yea, I agree. I put Dallas as a DISTANT 3rd. To me it's really only between NY or LA.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:42 PM
beastly115

Quote:
LINK

Well, considering we were the only team he was willing to waive his NTC for at the deadline, I'd put us as the front runners for sure. The Stars traded away Richards' best friend Neal and now they fired their coach. The writing is on the wall there. Richards will go to UFA and we are the front runners for his services.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:11 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Why would he go to LA though? They need scoring wingers since they already have Kopitar who's a good number 1.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I do believe it will be more and more likely Richards signs here as long as the Dallas ownership situation remains unstable.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:16 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I do believe it will be more and more likely Richards signs here as long as the Dallas ownership situation remains unstable.
...and we have capspace

Old
04-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
The above post shows a great line diagram.

Take a real hard look at it... Those blanks are PRECISELY what's missing. Again Brad Richards isn't THE answer... He may be part of it, he may be older, somewhat damaged and a bit of a risk. He'll certainly be overpriced. But if u can add him without losing some of the other pieces there it's a no brainer... U take that risk. You try to make a move for another dangerous piece with your pick(s) and prospects and you do it. You go for it in the next few yrs, you hope Gabby can be the guy he was in the past and you try while Hank is young... The way he gets beat up his career won't be a long one and once he's gone it's over and the true rebuild will HAVE to begin.
So if they get Richards can you not say they have a very solid group of C's? Richards is a legit #1 and Stepan/Anisimov have great potential as #2 C's and solid 3rds. Boyle is a wild card but as a #4 is great.

on RW yea Gaborik needs to be the sniper from last yr but I still believe in him, Callahan is proving to be and excellent 2nd RW and team leader. Prust is the freaking man , great energy guy and Zuccarello is a wild card who could break out.

LW is more of a toss up. Dubinsky I think would have James Neal numbers with BR. Wolski is a wild card but has put together solid Goal scoring years. After that i'm not sure what's up but there are guys like Grachev, Hagelin, Kreider that may be close. Avery, Feds, EC, Vinny are all on the bubble and could be out

Overall that's a solid F group but only WITH Richards

Old
04-16-2011, 11:30 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
If you watch the Rangers closely, you'll realize that there isnt a single player on either defense or at forward who has the skills Brad Richards possesses, and that includes gaborik. There also isnt a single prospect who will develop into a 90-point a year playmaker who can center the top line and run the power play.

I mean we have Erik Friggin Christainsen centering our top line and Anisimov has been dropped to the 4th line. Anybody who doesnt see that as a major organizational problem needs to get their heads checked.

It's no coincidence that the Rangers have been pathetic on the power play since Nylander left. You pair up a super set up man with a sniper like Gaborik and the Rangers will have a top-10 PP again.
Thank you.

I am really irritated by the posts that say "no richards, he will be a cap liability in 3 years, play the kids." I'm all for playing the kids...but the fact of the matter is our best "kid" is Kreider, and he's not a sure thing by any means. This organization is lacking top-tier talent. Richards is top-tier talent. He's a top-10 center in the league. And in 5 years, he will still be very good. He's a player who relies on skill and hockey IQ, not athleticism (which degrades over time). At 36 he will still be able to put up 70+. We haven't had this type of skilled center since I can remember.

And yea how about our god-awful powerplay? He's a great PP QB. He fills in so many needs on this team it's ridiculous.

One of the top centers in the game, great PP Qb, playoff performer, proven winner...but no we should definitely pass

Old
04-17-2011, 12:13 AM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

He'll probably forget how to play hockey as soon as he puts on a Ranger jersey.

Old
04-17-2011, 06:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Reading between the lines, unrestricted free-agent centre Brad Richards likes solid ownership -he didn't have it at the end in Tampa Bay and got traded, and the Stars are now being run by the league, with no white knight in sight -so he's out of Dallas on July 1. He'll sign with former Lightning coach John Tortorella's New York Rangers. If it's for $6.5 million a year, it could be a six-or seven-year deal. The Rangers have to also sign their Group 2 guys Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Callahan, Artem Anisimov and Brian Boyle. That's likely another $10 million.
Quote:
When a team’s captain plays only 7- minutes of a playoff game, that’s a fairly telling statement for the Rangers’ Chris Drury. Drury is a warrior and a Stanley Cup champion who has a history of coming up big in the playoffs but his body seems to be wearing down. What do they do with the oft-injured centre who has a year left at $5 million? It’s a dicey situation for a very good guy. Do they buy him out or hope he stays healthy?
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...086/story.html

Rangers can afford $6.5M. Preferably in a 5 year deal. Longer that 5 years(6 or 7),front load the contract like the Rozsival contract. Easier for the Rangers to move.

It will cost more than $10M to re-sign those players and Matheson forgot Sauer. It will cost $13-$14M to re-sign those 5 players.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 04-17-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old
04-17-2011, 07:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dubinsky and Callahan will get in the $4M range. Dubinsky in two years away from group 3 and Callahan is 1 year away from group 3. Both are arbitration eligible. Players paid Callahan more than Dubinsky because the former was arbitration eligible and he filed.

AA is not arb eligible but he will still get close to $2M per. Two year deal.

Boyle had a 21 goal season. What is that worth? Slowed down in the 2nd half so he won't get $2M plus but something in the $1.6-$1.9M range is reasonable. One year away from group III. His agent Paul Krepelka got Manny Malhotra $2.5M from Vancouver last summer after he couldn't get Manny a contract the previous season. Take what you can get. Krepelka also represents Marc Staal.

Sauer could get Girardi's 2nd contract. $1.55M per. Girardi signed that contract 3 years ago. Sauer will get in the $1.5M range. Could be more. 3 years away from group 3. Sauer's agent Ben Hankinson got Alex Goligoski 3 years/ $1.833M per from Pitt. $1.25M,$1.5M and $2.75M. Sauer doesn't have the same offensive skills but is still a top 4 D so maybe 3 years @$1.7M per.

Old
04-17-2011, 08:38 AM
UAGoalieGuy

RangerBoy, would the Rangers be able to afford Richards @ 6.5, while giving out around 14 million to the RFA's without Drury retiring or being bought-out? Or would that have to happen in order for it all to work out?

That would 20 million right there for 6 players. McD and Stepan would still be on ELC's so that helps a lot. Possibly the Rangers would hope another rookie D-man could step in like Vtank as well as a rookie winger like Kreider (if he signs), Thomas, or Grachev.

Another question is would Grachev have to go through waivers like Grabner did (He was in the last year of his ELC) if he doesn't make the Rangers out of camp and is sent to Hartford?

Old
04-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Vitto79

[QUOTE=DatsyukSOGoal

agreed with DatsyukSoGoals lines and I would think it fills up like this

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Zuccarello
Avery-Boyle-Prust

I am sure if Richards takes that number 1 C spot then EC is traded for a late pick to get him off the books.

Avery may get waived but if no one picks him up then he is on the team. Bottom line.

I would say that whether we like it or not a guy like Wolski is in that 1st LW slot or 2nd and Dubinsky on the top line

I would expect another spot to go to Hagelin or Grachev. As for the spare maybe a Weise or a vet minimum contract guy

Old
04-17-2011, 11:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

On 2nd thought,Rangers wouldn't give Sauer a contract which takes him up to group III. Sauer will get a 2 year contract and then he will become a group II again.

Closed Thread