Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2011 Minor Midget OHL Draft (Part II)

Old
03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
NHL Fanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesfan View Post
Is there an OHL combine this year, if yes then when is it? How many players and goalies?
I'm not sure if they're doing an OHL combine this year. But I know last year it was held March 27-28 at the MasterCard Centre and it was open to 30 goaltenders and 60 players.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I'm not sure if they're doing an OHL combine this year. But I know last year it was held March 27-28 at the MasterCard Centre and it was open to 30 goaltenders and 60 players.
Last year it was very late, and if you look at the roster of players who went there where some head scratchers.

If they do it, I hope they plan it out and get buy in from all the top players.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:18 PM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurkeysLeafs View Post
Anybody have insight on goalie Ken Appleby out of North Bay? How are his numbers looking compared to others?
Appleby struggled at the end of the season but I believe he is going to the OHL Cup where he needs to shine...many scouts are excited about his size...the regular season Ouillet/Desormeaux had better stats but they also played on better teams
He is ranked 2nd in the North for Goalie behind Sudbury Wolves Horezchuk(can't remember the spelling)

nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:49 PM
mkraayen

GTHL stats

Anyone know where I can find player statistics from the GTHL minor midgets. I use pointstreak.com for ALLIANCE, and have even found the Little Caesar's & Ontario East league's but haven't had any luck finding the GTHL on it.
Interested in looking at players stats this season and seeing how the playoffs are unfolding.
Thanks

mkraayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Appleby struggled at the end of the season but I believe he is going to the OHL Cup where he needs to shine...many scouts are excited about his size...the regular season Ouillet/Desormeaux had better stats but they also played on better teams
He is ranked 2nd in the North for Goalie behind Sudbury Wolves Horezchuk(can't remember the spelling)
Ranked by who out of curiousity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraayen View Post
Anyone know where I can find player statistics from the GTHL minor midgets. I use pointstreak.com for ALLIANCE, and have even found the Little Caesar's & Ontario East league's but haven't had any luck finding the GTHL on it.
Interested in looking at players stats this season and seeing how the playoffs are unfolding.
Thanks
They do not exist online unfortunetly.

No reason why not, GTHL really should work with Pointstreak as they do with the Marlboros Holiday Classic.

Old
03-07-2011, 04:25 PM
TobiasE

I forget where I read it a couple weeks ago on here but I remember someone saying a Scouting service ranked Martin in the first round as a goalie.

After watching him in the past couple of series I would not be shocked if he goes in the first round at all, I think he has totally seperated himself from any other goalie in the 95s... no one close IMO.

TobiasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:42 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Ranked by who out of curiousity?
I would probably have Ouillet of the Sault ranked ahead of Appleby. But that's just me.

ottawafan66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasE View Post
I forget where I read it a couple weeks ago on here but I remember someone saying a Scouting service ranked Martin in the first round as a goalie.

After watching him in the past couple of series I would not be shocked if he goes in the first round at all, I think he has totally seperated himself from any other goalie in the 95s... no one close IMO.
ISS Has him #10.

In my opinion he is the best, but not at that level. I dont believe in #1 Round goaltenders, just too much pressure for a position that is too hard to scout.

I think he will go in the early to mid 2nd, with Jordan DeKort a close #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
I would probably have Ouillet of the Sault ranked ahead of Appleby. But that's just me.
I agree with you.

I think Corbin from Thunder Bay and Ouillet have been the best Northern area goaltenders that I have seen this year.

Old
03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
sarie67

Quote:
ISS Has him #10.

In my opinion he is the best, but not at that level. I dont believe in #1 Round goaltenders, just too much pressure for a position that is too hard to scout.

I think he will go in the early to mid 2nd, with Jordan DeKort a close #2

I agree with you.

I think Corbin from Thunder Bay and Ouillet have been the best Northern area goaltenders that I have seen this year.
Appleby and Desormeaux are the OHL Cup goalies for the GNML team. They were selected over Ouellet. From what I have seen, all three have stumbled a bit since Christmas. Appleby has the height, Ouellet is more technically sound and Desormeaux can steal you a game when he's on but he's only been facing a dozen shots per game this year so hard to tell. I fear Appleby may have more Missien in him than Beskarawany but who knows with goalies.

sarie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:49 PM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Just from hearing it through some scouts
I would also have Ouillet before Appleby...But Ouillet struggled in the playoffs and his team is out...I believe that is why he is not going to the OHL Cup...I hope his value did not go down but I'm sure it did!

nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekomisarek08 View Post
Appleby and Desormeaux are the OHL Cup goalies for the GNML team. They were selected over Ouellet. From what I have seen, all three have stumbled a bit since Christmas. Appleby has the height, Ouellet is more technically sound and Desormeaux can steal you a game when he's on but he's only been facing a dozen shots per game this year so hard to tell. I fear Appleby may have more Missien in him than Beskarawany but who knows with goalies.
Interesting, any insight into the rest of the team?

Old
03-07-2011, 09:37 PM
NHL Fanatic

I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know if Ben Fanelli will get the nod to suit up for Kitchener next season.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:01 PM
sarie67

Quote:
Interesting, any insight into the rest of the team?
From what I know...

Defencemen of note

Lavigne - Nickel City Sons - 6'3", 200 - aggressive, poised with the puck, tons of raw potential, hard to play against, hard shot, top D pairing on his team
Caruso - Soo - 5'11, 180 - hard shot, good one timer, PP QB, good first pass, good hands, not too physical but adequate defensively

Forwards of note

Bilton - Nickel City Sons - 5'9, 165 - fast, aggressive forechecker, decent skill, great skater, 2nd line on his team
Dube - Kap - 5'9, 170 - offensively gifted, nose for the net, good shot, 1st line on his team
MacDonald - New Liskeard - 5'11, 165 - good all around player, decent speed, good hands, often injured, 1st line on his team
Desrochers - North Bay - 5'11, 175 - good wheels, good hands, got tons of ice time for the Trappers, creative and tenacious, great shot, 1st line on his team
Brown - Soo - 6'2, 180 - confident and tough, all around skills, average skater, fairly physical, has potential for sure, disappointing second half, 2nd line on his team
Miller - Soo - 5'10, 180 - shat disturber, decent skills, decent skater, hard worker, tough, 3rd line on his team

The sizes are estimates and the comments are just personal observations, nothing more

The coach is Couch from North Bay. Good coach but the Trappers really crumbled in the second half and the playoffs. The team was much better than what they showed. In a tournament like the OHL Cup, coaching is more motivation and less strategy and showcasing the right players on the ice. Some years, they essentially roll the lines, other years they try to win and showcase their best. This year, if they just roll the lines, they'll compete but won't win. Hopefully they showcase the right players. Last year, twelve GNML players were drafted. There won't be that many this year but they are quite a few that may be drafted a bit higher than people think.

The Soo also disappointed in the second half and the playoffs. They just got knocked out by Kapuskasing, the surprise of the league. Kap has been playing awesome hockey since Christmas. They have an older lineup but young Dube led their team in scoring. Their only drafted player in the lineup is Max Lamontagne (Kitchener). They have a minor midget goalie but I've yet to see him play and I don't remember his name but I'm told he was considered for the OHL Cup roster.

Nickel City is the dominant team this year. They meet Kap in the league finals starting next weekend. Nickel City is undefeated in the playoffs and only lost 4 regular season games this year. They can score and they have by far the best defensemen in the league and should advance to the OHFs in London. I believe they are the week after or maybe two weeks after the OHL Cup. Their top scorer is a undrafted kid called Gratton - great hands, great shot, can control a game... but small with a bit of an attitude. Still, should have been drafted last year. Maybe he will be this year as 2nd year Midget but I doubt it. The only drafted player in their lineup is Mitchell Byrne (Brampton).

Last edited by sarie67: 03-09-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old
03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
sarie67

Quote:
I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know if Ben Fanelli will get the nod to suit up for Kitchener next season.
A friend of the family told me (about a month) that he's still not cleared to play and that the parents and the team are being very cautious.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:27 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
A friend of the family told me (about a month) that he's still not cleared to play and that the parents and the team are being very cautious.
Thanks for the info... Hopefully he can have a speedy recovery and be back for next season.

Old
03-07-2011, 11:56 PM
RangerRed

I have a question. And this is totally self-serving being as I'm a Rangers fan.

Who are the Canadian and/or American kids most likely to pull the "college card" ?

RangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:43 AM
sarie67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRed View Post

Who are the Canadian and/or American kids most likely to pull the "college card" ?
A little off topic but what type of year is Trouba having and have the Rangers convinced him to play for them next year?

Old
03-08-2011, 07:47 AM
ottawafan66

OHL Combine

Quote:
Last year it was very late, and if you look at the roster of players who went there where some head scratchers.

If they do it, I hope they plan it out and get buy in from all the top players.
This year's combine is being held April 2nd and 3rd at the Hershey Center. A total of 60 skaters and 24 goalies will be selected.

ottawafan66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:50 AM
TobiasE

Quote:

For Canadians I can only see high status players like Domi / Nurse who could pull the card, Domi would probably be more interested in a Kingston, Peteborough type of team. Where Nurse could hold out fora team like Kitchener but I highly doubt teams will let him pass, likely won't get out of top 5 but who knows what he "commits" to

TobiasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:51 AM
sarie67

Quote:
Thanks for the info... Hopefully he can have a speedy recovery and be back for next season.
This is good news :

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4163083

The Kitchener Rangers are proud to announce HEAD STRONG, a program created by Ben Fanelli that will provide awareness about brain injuries and raise funds for various brain injury associations.
Ben was the victim of a serious brain injury in October of 2009. Since the injury Ben has been rehabilitating and continuing positive progress towards his goal of playing hockey again.

"I feel because I was given a miraculous second chance I want to do everything in my power to offer others the resources to be able to give the next person a second chance. I will not be a neurologist myself, but what I am capable of doing is raising awareness and funds for a cause that is close to my heart," says Fanelli.

On June 5, 2011 Fanelli will swim, bike and run his way through the Subaru Triathlon being held in Milton, Ontario. He will participate in a 750m swim, a 30km bike ride and a 7.5km run and is asking for your support in raising funds for the Brain Injury Association of Canada (BIAC). Pledges for his cause can be made at kitchenerrangers.com and the Brain Injury Association of Canada website at www.biac-aclc.ca by hitting the donate button starting Friday, March 11, 2011.

A specially designed HEAD STRONG tee shirt has been created and will be available at the Outpost- the official store of the Rangers and at all Kitchener home games. All net proceeds from the sale of this shirt will benefit the BIAC

Old
03-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
A little off topic but what type of year is Trouba having and have the Rangers convinced him to play for them next year?
The USNTDP is a two year program. He can leave, but there is a $50,000 buy out.

Old
03-08-2011, 10:49 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

What are the odds of Aaron Ekblad receiving exceptional status? And does Barrie necessarily take him first overall if he is accepted?

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:40 AM
sarie67

Quote:
The USNTDP is a two year program. He can leave, but there is a $50,000 buy out.
Ouch! Big bucks even for the Rangers. Maybe they'll have better luck with Mayfield depending where he gets drafted.

Old
03-08-2011, 12:47 PM
RangerRed

Quote:
- Captain of the USNTDP Under-17 Team
- Frequent call ups to the Under-18 squad
- Will probably play a year up at the Spring Under-18s in Germany this year
- Was, for my money, the best player for Team USA at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge back in January.

RangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
sarie67

Quote:
- Captain of the USNTDP Under-17 Team
- Frequent call ups to the Under-18 squad
- Will probably play a year up at the Spring Under-18s in Germany this year
- Was, for my money, the best player for Team USA at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge back in January.
Is he verbally committed to the NCAA? I assume so. Which program?