HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gillies in-person disciplinary hearing -- UPDATE: 10 Games

Old
03-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Mustang2750

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Konopka's connection to both incidents is that he defended Gillies in the media, especially against Lemieux's complaints that the punishment wasn't severe enough after the Tangradi melee, and that he got a misconduct after the Clutterbuck hit (for complaining to the referees once Gillies was tossed, I assume).
Let me explain to you how a team works. Player 1 on team A performs an action. Player 1 gets flak for his action. Players 2-20 back up player 1 on Team A because, well, they are friends and teammates. It doesn't matter whether Players 2-20 agree or disagree with what happened, you have to back each other up when you are on a team. All you need is some Randy Moss crap going on in the locker room with players talking **** about each other and there goes ALL hope of chemistry. (Which btw, The Islanders probably have top 5 team chemistry in the entire league right now)

You learn something new everyday.

Last edited by Mustang2750: 03-04-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:15 PM
hockeygoon15

10 games as per Katie

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ames-1.2731581

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:19 PM
E_Godard

Seems like a bit too much, but cant say Im surprised.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:32 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

10 games is an absolute joke. I'm sorry. He deserved to get some time, but the hit was NOT that bad. Clutterbuck is just a big turtling, diving tool. He doesn't fight, ever. Sure he hits a lot, but when you blast a kid in his 2nd nhl game from behind, you're gonna get hit back. Cal has zero fights this year. That's an amazing stat.
Anyway, the hit from gillies was bad bc the puck wasn't there & his left hand came up high. It wasn't worse than the tangradi hit though, and I don't wanna hear the BS about "repeat offender". Guys like pronger, who has used his elbows to concuss many people, stomped on a player a few weeks after than moron simon, & is just dirty, yet he continually gets 1, 2 or maybe 3 games. Cooke, who is a dirtbag, got 4 for a hit far worse on tyutin. He's not a repeat offender?
Its just a #*#@+"* joke that colon blow decides that NOW he's going to "make an example" of a "repeat offender". Hell, the team is better without gillies. I'm not even mad he's out. I feel bad for a guy with kids & a family who is losing a ton of cash, but he's not a loss at all in terms of talent. What I'm mad about is how the ONLY time(seemingly) that Campbell follows thru on the "repeat offender" or "make an example" horsecrap is when its an islander

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:33 PM
IwayMike

And how many games did Matt Cooke get for his last dirty hit, which was infinitely dirtier and more dangerous?

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
meh no loss, probably the end of his "NHL career"

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:37 PM
twisting and turning

dont really care how many games he got. because does it really matter whether or not he is on the ice? no. and i dont want him on the islanders next year.

but i will be A-OK with trevor playing for the final rags game and then the 4/8 tilt with the pens.

twisting and turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:39 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
And how many games did Matt Cooke get for his last dirty hit, which was infinitely dirtier and more dangerous?
4, I think.

He wasn't suspended for basically ending the career of Marc Savard. Wasn't suspended for wrecking Vinny Lecavalier's shoulder...who by the way, has not played nearly as well as he did prior to that hit. And I don't think he was suspended for wrecking Andrei Markov's knee in the playoffs last year either. Nope, nope, nope.

Again, I certainly HOPE there is some consistency from now on with these rulings. But I'm not confident.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
We Want The de

I just hate how Gillies is viewed by all the 'experts'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Cooper, Washington Post
Gillies is a cancer on this game. He is the epitome of everything in it that is wrong, because he has no respect for the bodies of his opponents. It's well within the rules to hit a guy, but the stunts he pulls could literally kill another player one day, or leave them unable to cognitively function on a normal level. That, to me, is absolutely hideous, and he has no place in the NHL.
Stunts? So he's hit Tangradi and Clutterbuck (which I completely back), and now all of a sudden he's worse than Matt Cooke? Everyone's saying he's a repeat offender and etc, but this is only his SECOND suspension.

Tavares2TheRescue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:41 PM
TheBoss22

If Gillies career is indeed over he should have taken COLON's head and rammed it through the nearest window.

I'm still fuming over the minor 2 game suspensions, or no suspensions when an Islander receives a hit to the head.

But when an Islander does it we are inherantly dumb and should be made an example of.

I still can't get over the play from last year when Avery "intentionally" hog ties Kohn's arm and sends him smashing to the ice head first which lead to his concussion and finished him off for the remainder of the year. No call because that weasel Avery made it look like an accident.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:50 PM
mhs8hockey

Send a message via AIM to mhs8hockey
Nothing against the rags but i just remember this hit from a few weeks ago and thought that their is no way he doesn't get suspended for this. This is a clear elbow to Green's head, no penalty and no suspension. I know there are many more that have gone uncalled/suspended. I am one of the few that support Gillies and he knows his role and has not been dirty up until the last 2 incidents. I don't think that hit on clutterb*tch was even suspension worthy if it wasn't an isle or gillies i dont believe it would have been. 10 games is ridiculas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S13T...75865156F1A622

mhs8hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs8hockey View Post
Nothing against the rags but i just remember this hit from a few weeks ago and thought that their is no way he doesn't get suspended for this. This is a clear elbow to Green's head, no penalty and no suspension. I know there are many more that have gone uncalled/suspended. I am one of the few that support Gillies and he knows his role and has not been dirty up until the last 2 incidents. I don't think that hit on clutterb*tch was even suspension worthy if it wasn't an isle or gillies i dont believe it would have been. 10 games is ridiculas.
The issue here is the press from Mr. Penguin and Versus. That has caused negative attention and Gillies is being made out as a scapegoat.

No problem here, but the next time a hit is not enforced WATCH OUT all hell is going to break loose. I can see it now.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs8hockey View Post
Watching that play again has my blood pressure going through the roof.

Notice how Green doesn't even have the effing puck and he gets smoked, Bloody Rags score and NOTHING from that BIASED P.O.S COLON CAMPBELL!!!

I'm hoping there is a hockey God and the Rag Dolls miss the playoffs AGAIN!!

Back to Gillies. I thought he leaned in with his right forearm (which was on Cluster*****s shoulder) and the hand to the face was a bit of a follow through. It could have gone either way for me. But if he is to be suspended it should be for 5 games for the hit to the head, plus 2 games for being a repeat offender.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
All of this because Clutter**** lied on the ice like a baby.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:05 PM
MtlPenFan

Just to be clear...

Nobody sees the forearm/fist that drove Clutterbuck's head into the glass?

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
All of this because Clutter**** lied on the ice like a baby.
I think more guys should fake injury so that some of these clutterbuck guys hit the showers.

Why not he did it?

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:07 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
From here on out anything Gillies does that's questionable, he will be suspended. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get suspended when the Pens and Isles play on April 8th.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:07 PM
MrBrightside

This is great news for the Islanders...they can dress 12 real forwards a night for the next 10 games.

MrBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:08 PM
IslesNorway

10 games is a bit harsh I must say, but for Gillies it might just as well spell the end of his career.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Perhaps you should take some time to watch again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hwl85L1E1M#t=0m29s

It's quite clear from this angle that Gillies pins Clutterbuck's head to the glass with his left forearm and fist as he takes him into the boards.

Here are the five factors in play on this illegal hit that are grounds for the game misconduct and what I am sure will be harsh subsequent league disciplinary action.

1) high hit to the head with the arms (from the elbow down);
2) lateral hit to the head;
3) hit into the boards/glass;
4) on a player without the puck;
5) not related to the hockey play (hit in retaliation).

Then of course you can take the fact that Gillies is a hack-y repeat offender with more PIM than TOI. Open and shut case. Only remaining variable here is how much of an example the league wishes to set with the suspension.
Two games on each count! Hallelujah! The NHL sent a great message with this ruling.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:09 PM
macleod50

vCash: 250
Not surprised at all about the 10 games.

I think what pleases me most about this is the ******** Penguins fans. I've never seen such a bunch of crybabies in my entire life.

I also love the dopes that thought they were going to suspend him for the rest of the season.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:11 PM
MrBrightside

Seriously, as Islanders fans you have to be hoping this guy is gone. You have a lot of good young talent and with a couple of moves this offseason and Streit's return, you will be a legitmate playoff contender next season...but all anyone is talking about is what happened against Pittsburgh and now this. As a Pens' fan, I get sick of Cooke's antics because of exactly this...I'm tired of having him overshadow the rest of the team, and I'd think you guys would welcome Gillies being gone. Besides, it's not like he can play even a little bit...you have plenty of toughness in Konopka, Martin, and Haley. This is good news for the Islanders. Been better if it was the rest of the year.

MrBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Let me explain to you how a team works. Player 1 on team A performs an action. Player 1 gets flak for his action. Players 2-20 back up player 1 on Team A because, well, they are friends and teammates. It doesn't matter whether Players 2-20 agree or disagree with what happened, you have to back each other up when you are on a team. All you need is some Randy Moss crap going on in the locker room with players talking **** about each other and there goes ALL hope of chemistry. (Which btw, The Islanders probably have top 5 team chemistry in the entire league right now)

You learn something new everyday.

Yes, we both agree that Konopka was connected to both incidents. Wonderful. He also made public comments in the media to which Ward, a public figure in the media, responded. It all makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:12 PM
LAIslanderFan

How manu games did Clutterbuck get for his intial hit from behind on the Islanders rookie, Debo?
Oh yeah, did the NHL ever address the hit Phanuef put on Okposo where he tried to end his career?
How about the hit from behind Phanuef put on Tavares a couple of weeks ago. Remember the Toronto game? Oh wait a minute, he was playing for Toronto and Calgary. I forgot the NHL has a soft spot in their heart for the Canadian teams, especially Toronto.

OK league go right ahead and injure some of the younger New York Islanders, nothing to worry about!

NHL office number is 212-789-2000, if anyone feels like calling!!!

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:27 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
Seriously, as Islanders fans you have to be hoping this guy is gone. You have a lot of good young talent and with a couple of moves this offseason and Streit's return, you will be a legitmate playoff contender next season...but all anyone is talking about is what happened against Pittsburgh and now this. As a Pens' fan, I get sick of Cooke's antics because of exactly this...I'm tired of having him overshadow the rest of the team, and I'd think you guys would welcome Gillies being gone. Besides, it's not like he can play even a little bit...you have plenty of toughness in Konopka, Martin, and Haley. This is good news for the Islanders. Been better if it was the rest of the year.
I would be with you, if Gillies hit didn't follow Clutterbucks clear hit from behind on one of the Islanders rookies. The Islanders have lost more man games due to injury this year then any other team. Alot of it has to do with putting a very young team on the ice, playing against much older experienced players. The older players know the best way to beat a younger team is with hard play (sometimes dirty) and intimadation. I've seen Kyle Okposo nearly have his career ended in preseason from a dirty Phanuef hit. Tavares was sent into the boards head first by Phanuef the game before the Islander Penguin fight night (nothing was called and no NHL decipline) and believe it or not, that was part of what stirred up the Islanders the night the played the Penguins. My point here, is that there have been alot of dirty hits thrown on Islander youngsters and at no point does the NHL take any action against those players.

Please take a look again at the Gillies, Clutterbuck play. Clutterbuck clearly hit Debo from behind and if you really analysis the situation, you'll see he was not going to be called until Gillies comes in.
Please be honest here. If other teams were taking liberties with the Penguins when they were younger and nothing was being done by the league office about it, wouldn't you be frustrated!!!
I don't fully condone what Gillies did, but how do you let Clutterbuck off with what he did?

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote