HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Gillies in-person disciplinary hearing -- UPDATE: 10 Games

Old
03-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

vCash: 500
Any word if Snow sent tape of Clutter on DeBo to the office for review?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:29 PM
islandermike

Why didn't Snow attend the hearing Snow was conferenced into the call but why didn't anyone from organization go with him, sends kind of a bad message. I feel for Trevor here, he is being painted as the dirtiest player in the league which we all know is untrue but the image of him screaming at an injured Tangredi i think has sealed his fate as an NHL player. It's not suprising he is a popular guy in the room as most tough guys are but i just hope this accompanied by the seemingly lack of interest in signing Konopka doesn't hurt the seemingly budding chemistry here.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:31 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
From here on out anything Gillies does that's questionable, he will be suspended. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get suspended when the Pens and Isles play on April 8th.
i would be more surprised to hear he actually dresses for another game this season, snow is just asking for trouble if he puts him back in the lineup.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:36 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
I'm fine with this suspension on the following condition:

From here on out, any time an NHL player gets their hands and arms up high to drive an opposing player's head into the boards, they get 9 games the first time and then 10 games if they do it again. And this includes, for example, Chris Pronger.

Anyone who reads this and disagrees, I'd be interested to know the rationale.

However, I doubt this will set a consistent precedent. Instead, Campbell suspended Gillies 9 games for the Pittsburgh hit according to an arbitrary analysis that goes something like this:

4 games for driving opponent's head into the boards

1 game for yelling at player from doorway

2 games for doing it in a game that got lots of negative media attention

2 games because he's a fringe player whose presence will not be missed by his team or the league's marketing department and whose absence will not affect the standings

And for the Minnesota play, Campbell had to make it more since he was a repeat offender, so he added 1 game to the previous suspension.

Does anyone really think there is any kind of document in Campbell's office that lists the number of games suspension for specific acts, similar to sentencing guidelines that are used by criminal courts, and that he applies the guidelines in each specific case without considering inappropriate factors such as negative publicity or the standings?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:37 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
This is great news for the Islanders...they can dress 12 real forwards a night for the next 10 games.
There is a thread on the Penguins board where you can bash Gillies and the Islanders- why don't you take yourself and your trolling friends back to it.

Last edited by PROMputt: 03-04-2011 at 04:34 PM.
PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:37 PM
mczerkawski21

Grow up guys...he was hunting head...10 sounds about right for a repeat offender who is clearly intending to injure someone. The tangradi hit was sick and he didn't learn his lesson. Hopefully this is the last time we see this joke. Clutterbuck should have gotten 3 or so as well.

mczerkawski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Do people really think that the disciplining system is the same for all-stars as it is for goons? Come on now.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczerkawski21 View Post
Grow up guys...he was hunting head...10 sounds about right for a repeat offender who is clearly intending to injure someone. The tangradi hit was sick and he didn't learn his lesson. Hopefully this is the last time we see this joke. Clutterbuck should have gotten 3 or so as well.
The man with the anti PAP avatar has it right

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Homebrew76

Boston fan here. Gillies deserves 10 games... and his next one deserves 20. Anyone want to put money on if Gillies can go 10 games without getting a suspension?

Cooke, Avery, Downie and a host of others all deserves to be looked at closely as to whether or not they belong in the NHL. Gillies simply do not belong. He has no skill whatsoever and does not understand how to stick up for teammates without trying to injure the other guy.

Homebrew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Please take a look again at the Gillies, Clutterbuck play. Clutterbuck clearly hit Debo from behind and if you really analysis the situation, you'll see he was not going to be called until Gillies comes in.
Please be honest here. If other teams were taking liberties with the Penguins when they were younger and nothing was being done by the league office about it, wouldn't you be frustrated!!!
I don't fully condone what Gillies did, but how do you let Clutterbuck off with what he did?

This is a complete fantasy. Gillies hit Clutterbuck not 2 seconds after DiBenedetto went down. The refs arm goes up IMMEDIATELY after the Clutterbuck/DiBenedetto hit.

As you can see, the referee's hand is already in the air before Gillies even finishes his check on Clutterbuck. Unless the ref has superhuman reaction time, there is no way that arm originally went up for anything but the Clutterbuck hit on DiBenedetto, as it is before the referee had time to process the illegal hit by Gillies on Clutterbuck.

It's 0:22 - 0:26 of the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hwl85L1E1M#t=0m22s

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Damaged Goods

Further proof: the ref's arm is going up before Gillies even touches Clutterbuck.

Old
03-04-2011, 03:52 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
This is a complete fantasy. Gillies hit Clutterbuck not 2 seconds after DiBenedetto went down. The refs arm goes up IMMEDIATELY after the Clutterbuck/DiBenedetto hit.

As you can see, the referee's hand is already in the air before Gillies even finishes his check on Clutterbuck. Unless the ref has superhuman reaction time, there is no way that arm originally went up for anything but the Clutterbuck hit on DiBenedetto, as it is before the referee had time to process the illegal hit by Gillies on Clutterbuck.

It's 0:22 - 0:26 of the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hwl85L1E1M#t=0m22s
I saw the arm go up about the same time Gillies hit Clutterbuck. The ref seemed to be focusing on Gillies as he came in.

LAIslanderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:55 PM
IslesZoso

We need more diagrams

IslesZoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:57 PM
islandermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
i would be more surprised to hear he actually dresses for another game this season, snow is just asking for trouble if he puts him back in the lineup.
Yeah i agree that he even gets in the games after he is back from suspension, even the Pitt game i doubt he gets in as i doubt the Pens are going to want to get into an all out war a couple days before the playoffs start and even more so especially if Crosby does get back in lineup. I think Martin is probably on his way to being this teams enforcer but he can play and take a regular shift. Haley seems to have a future as a lightweight guy and i hope Konopka returns or they will need to replace the toughness he brings. I'd like to see them add a tough D-man at some point as well.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:57 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew76 View Post
Boston fan here. Gillies deserves 10 games... and his next one deserves 20. Anyone want to put money on if Gillies can go 10 games without getting a suspension?

Cooke, Avery, Downie and a host of others all deserves to be looked at closely as to whether or not they belong in the NHL. Gillies simply do not belong. He has no skill whatsoever and does not understand how to stick up for teammates without trying to injure the other guy.
Did you see what led up to the hit, or just the cut that those two dummies on versus are showing? Just curious, when Pronger pushed Tavares's head into the boards, did Keith Jones think Pronger should have been suspended? I think I know the answer.
Clutterbuck clearly hits DeBo from behind (a rookie playing his 2nd game in the NHL) and drive him into the boards.

Just curious, when Cooke hit Savard, do yoiu think:
A The Bruins should do nothing and wait for the NHL to act?
B The Bruins should have sent a goon out to teach Cooke a leeson?

If you choose B then you should be behind what Gillies did.

LAIslanderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Darth Bangkok

Bogus.

Darth Bangkok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I saw the arm go up about the same time Gillies hit Clutterbuck. The ref seemed to be focusing on Gillies as he came in.
The arm starts to go up before Gillies even touches Clutterbuck. How many times do I have to show you indisputable visual evidence that completely dismantles your assertion? You're just making yourself look silly.

Again, the arm is going up BEFORE Gillies touches Clutterbuck. Dibendetto, Clutterbuck and Gillies are all in the same line of sight. You cannot tell exactly which player the referee is looking at because we only see the back of his head, but we can be pretty sure he does not have precognitive powers. Based on the timing of his arm going up and the call made on the ice, we can be sure he is reacting to the original infraction, the Clutterbuck boarding on Dibendetto. This happens BEFORE Gillies hits Clutterbuck, contrary to your claim.

Old
03-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesZoso View Post
We need more diagrams
These are not diagrams, just freeze frames from the Islanders video feed on youtube. And apparently many people here do need them, because their eyes seem to be deceiving them when viewing at full speed.

Old
03-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

People still care about this?

If anything it's a plus, we get to use an actual player on our 4th line now for a few weeks.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:13 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
I think people are more pissed about the last sentence of your paragraph. How many times have people gotten away with bullcrap hits on the isles players alone? Godard practically clotheslined moulson after he scores a goal, but that wasn't even a penalty. Its a joke.
What I don't get is, while gillies is NOW a repeat offender, so are guys like cooke, pronger, etc, yet, they've never sniffed a 10 gamme suspension(except for prongers 8 for STOMPING on ryan kesler's leg...weeks after chris simon got something like 30 games). This is what's frustrating. Islander players are always the "example" yet when another teams "repeat offender" commits a suspendable act & its after this so-called "example" has been made, their suspension is still less.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:18 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Then he did a sh**ty job, because he missed his head.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:22 PM
mygameworn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
These are not diagrams, just freeze frames from the Islanders video feed on youtube. And apparently many people here do need them, because their eyes seem to be deceiving them when viewing at full speed.
Dude your screen shot is hilarious. It shows next to nothing, as a matter of fact, it shows Gillies with his shoulders DOWN. Don't you have to go defend Briere for his b*tch of a crosscheck on Aulie?

Old
03-04-2011, 04:24 PM
mygameworn

If anything, I blame Haley for getting hurt.... Had he not gotten hurt this would have never happened..

Old
03-04-2011, 04:28 PM
JKP

This league will be an absolute farce and players will get killed at some point until they figure this stupid crap out and codify it.

Colin Campbell seems to pull his sentencing out of his butt. The NHL needs to sit down and codify their suspensions and write criteria for how you get what.

Ex:

1 game for X, Y, or Z (first offence)
3 games for A, B, or C (first offence) and X, Y, or Z (second offence)
etc.

And have a three strikes rule. After your third suspension of any duration you commit an infraction that would warrant a fourth suspension (regardless of reason and severity) you're thrown out of the NHL for 365 days.

A big, big part of the problem is there's one standard for Gillies and one for Clatterbuck and another for Pronger and another for Phanouf.

The discretion has to be taken out of the suspensions and it must be codified to some extent. You can still have discretion in whether they committed crime A, B, or C with intent or not, etc. But the penalties for the crimes HAVE to be made consistent to start to clean this mess up.

This is the NHL's biggest failing in all of this.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
cjdv16

The only thing I have an issue with is Gillies clipping Clutterbuck in the head.....

Otherwise, I give him full marks for blasting the *****.

Any time an Islander gets hit with a cheap or even borderline shot, a message needs to be sent.

Only people who watch the Isles game in and game out for the past 3 years know what I mean when I say that.

This is a team that would have Miro Satan or Alexei Yashin do nothing while a teammate was mauled. It was horse **** and it had to stop.

Now it stops.

This is a team that for the first time plays with a sack. No more 'accidental' high sticks in the teeth from Chris Pronger.... or Dion Phaneuf charges from across the ice. Even if the hit is clean from an opposing player.... if it's too hard or endangers an Islander, get ready to get freight trained.

About time this team sticks up for one another.

I think the Islanders need to take a few accidental penalties of their own before the season's done.... they've got a lot of catching up to do.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote