HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 65 | Detroit Red Wings @ San Jose Sharks | 10:30 PM EST | FS-D (HD)

Old
03-04-2011, 02:41 PM
CamronGiles*

vCash: 500
gotta say as a canucks fan... this thread is very similar to the pessimism that we've been having, tough to keep the same pace for 82 games

CamronGiles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:44 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamronGiles View Post
gotta say as a canucks fan... this thread is very similar to the pessimism that we've been having, tough to keep the same pace for 82 games
i have been pessimistic for almost the entire season. team D and goaltending have been weak almost all season, and DRW very rarely play with the intensity of playoff games.

'09 was fairly similar, but they showed they could play good D and with intensity, especially in big games.

shutouts
'09: 8 (despite terrible goaltending. total sv% of .896)
'11: 2 (also weak goaltending, but better than in '09)

shots allowed per game
'09: 27.7 (2nd)
'11: 30.2 (15th)

1st unit of lidstrom and zetterberg and/or datsyuk used to play against top opponents and outplay them, which was probably the main strength of the team, but that has not happened much this season.

regular season games do not matter much now, other than as an indicator of how strength. since DRW rarely show great strength, i think they are probably just not a great team. i would be more surprised if they get past the 2nd round than if they lose in the 1st.

of course i may think differently if DRW play better later in the season.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:35 PM
DRWCountryClub

I think the Sharks are the real dark horses in the West.

I certainly don't see this Wings team being able to beat them, the Nuck, or the Hawks for that matter in a seven game series.

Maybe it's just a lul, and hot teams down the stretch can make themselves seem better than if they had that hot stretch at the start of the season, like the Wings.

Overall though, the Wings need to get going, when they play hard, like they did against Boston and won 4-2, they were impressive and couldn't be contained. Sadly, they don't do this every night, and everyone from top to bottom, except maybe Helm, doesn't seem to care.

The playoffs are 5 weeks away, it's time to get going one way or another, but like I said, as they are right now I wouldn't take this team to get out of the second round.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 04:00 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Perhaps chiago will take the central division and home ice advantage, they're only 7 points back, at one time they were 15 back if memory serves me right.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:27 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Perhaps chiago will take the central division and home ice advantage, they're only 7 points back, at one time they were 15 back if memory serves me right.
Playing the percentages, that's a tough one.

Say Detroit finishes 9-7-1, they'd finish with 104 points
For Chicago to catch, they'd need 26 points 13-3. They're already riding an 7-game streak. So that would mean Chicago finished 20-3.

If I'm Quenville, I'm far more worried about what's behind me than I am what's in front.

Chicago was a tight-knit team last year, with a lot of buddies and guys who hung out and partied together all the time. It took the team longer than they hoped to adjust.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Roy S

Chicago is a highly skilled team, carry the play very well at ES and their best players match up with anybody. Along with Vancouver, San Jose and Detroit, I think they are one of the 4 legit Cup contenders from the West. I'd probably put Vancouver as the favorite and the other 3 teams could easily advance all the way depending on their health and the bounces they get in the playoffs.

Of the 4, though, I think we are the hardest to get an accurate read based on regular season play because we've revealed the least during the season as we've purposely held back on Z, Pavel, Lidstrom's and Rafalski's ice time and the situations we use them much more than we've had in the past and more than the other contenders have done with their better players (obviously, part of that is b/c of our player's age and we are more conscious of conserving their energy).

We've also rolled our defensive pairings at ES more than any other team in the NHL and have a very small split in our defenseman's ice time and that has a negative effect on a team's overall play b/c your relying on your lesser defenseman to play a lot harder minutes. Barring injuries, I doubt that both of our #5 and #6 defenseman will be getting over 18 minutes a game come playoff time.

Playing those guys 2 or 3 less minutes a game each at ES and giving our top 4 guys more time at ES will lead to better overall results at 5 on 5 than we've seen thus far. Assuming Z and Pavel are able to play upwards to 22 minutes a game in the playoffs this year (unlike they were able to do last year) and Lidstrom and Rafalski each see an increase of about 3 minutes a game, then that also gives a different look to our team and allows our depth players to play in easier situations. Overall, I'm curious to see how Babcock utilizes players during the playoffs b/c based off what was said in the pre-season and how they've carried out that plan to a tee in the regular season, I think there could be a few significant changes coming in how we use our personnel. At least, I hope there is.

Last edited by Roy S: 03-05-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:58 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Wings have 10 home games left, and if they don't start playing a lot better there, a 7 point lead won't hold up.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:01 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
Chicago is a highly skilled team, carry the play very well at ES and their best players match up with anybody. Along with Vancouver, San Jose and Detroit, I think they are one of the 4 legit Cup contenders from the West. I'd probably put Vancouver as the favorite and the other 3 teams could easily advance all the way depending on their health and the bounces they get in the playoffs.

Of the 4, though, I think we are the hardest to get an accurate read based on regular season play because we've revealed the least during the season as we've purposely held back on Z, Pavel, Lidstrom's and Rafalski's ice time and the situations we use them much more than we've had in the past and more than the other contenders have done with their better players (obviously, part of that is b/c of our player's age and we are more conscious of conserving their energy).

We've also rolled our defensive pairings at ES more than any other team in the NHL and have a very small split in our defenseman's ice time and that has a negative effect on a team's overall play b/c your relying on your lesser defenseman to play a lot harder minutes. Barring injuries, I doubt that both of our #5 and #6 defenseman will be getting over 18 minutes a game come playoff time.

Playing those guys 2 or 3 less minutes a game each at ES and giving our top 4 guys more time at ES will lead to better overall results at 5 on 5 than we've seen thus far. Assuming Z and Pavel are able to play upwards to 22 minutes a game in the playoffs this year (unlike they were able to do last year) and Lidstrom and Rafalski each see an increase of about 3 minutes a game, then that also gives a different look to our team and allows our depth players to play in easier situations. Overall, I'm curious to see how Babcock utilizes players during the playoffs b/c based off what was said in the pre-season and how they've carried out that plan to a tee in the regular season, I think there could be a few significant changes coming in how we use our personnel. At least, I hope there is.
I wonder if he intends to keep Rafalski with Ericsson in the playoffs. I think he used Kronwall a lot in some/many games giving him most icetime. I also believe he was keeping Lidstrom at reduced min.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 01:06 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post

That's a great post.

It's hard to tell more with this team than the others, due in part to what you mentioned.

I'm getting a little worried because the playoffs are around the corner and it would be nice to see them getting a little more engaged.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:45 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I think Lidstrom just doesn't have the legs anymore to play 26-28 minutes a game at this stage. Rafalski's numbers have dropped as well as he's getting on. The 5-6 minutes in ice time lost due to that fact, well they had to go to someone.

I don't think this is strategy necessarily, it might just be acceptance of the fact our two D-men paid as #1's are physically not at the level anymore to which we might be accustomed.

They will play more minutes in the playoffs for sure but I wouldn't be surprised to see reduced quality of play concurring with that. This may sound negative, but if you watched Lidstrom recently, he's slower even than he was a year ago.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:42 AM
14ari13

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-331052

Quote:
I would like to avoid playing the team that could beat us in the playoffs, whatever that team is. Otherwise, we don't really have a team like that. Every team plays against us as if it's their last battle. And by doing that they make us even stronger. So, thanks to them for that.
Where's Captain Bob hiding now?

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote