HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '11 USA

Old
04-12-2011, 10:41 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
Byfuglien was invited but hasn't made a decision yet. I wonder if they would have him play forward due to the severe lack of top 6 forwards?
the way it looks, I would think forward. I mean it seems the only area where we can land really top end guys is our defense, so we might as well put Buff at forward if we land Goligoski, Erik Johnson, McBain, Gleason, etc...just makes sense in my eyes. Not sure if Buff would want that, but he would greatly help in our top 6.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Now's the time for USA Hockey to implement some financial incentives......Haha. In all seriousness, I don't think we're going to know how this team shapes up until the 11th hour.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 04-12-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:32 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Now's the time for USA Hockey to implement some financial incentives......Haha. In all seriousness, I don't think we're going to know how this team shapes up until the 11th hour.
to be serious with this, I say why not? Cant we offer vacation packages for players and their families? These tournaments are usually held in nice European cities, we cant offer to pay for the players and their families for a few weeks to hang out there as a thank you or something along those lines?

Old
04-12-2011, 11:37 AM
GrizMint

Any word on if Chris Kreider is going to get an invite again this year?

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
to be serious with this, I say why not? Cant we offer vacation packages for players and their families? These tournaments are usually held in nice European cities, we cant offer to pay for the players and their families for a few weeks to hang out there as a thank you or something along those lines?
Do they not bring the families over already? Team Canada does, at least for the first week or two. Once they get to the elimination games they usually try to limit distractions, but I know players have said how much they appreciate that, having their families there and all taken care of.

Canada used to have to beg guys to accept in the early 2000s too, until they started demonstrating that saying yes to the Worlds was taken into consideration when picking the Olympic teams. Obviously if a guy's a superstar you're not going to leave him off the Olympic team just for saying no to the World Championships, but that's why the young up-and-coming players are usually eager to accept invites now. (Guys like Duchene, Tavares, Stamkos previously, etc.)

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Tim Stapleton playing for the US. they must really be getting desperate

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

They couldn't get anyone better? Stapleton had an awful season.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
That's the kind of name I wanted to avoid seeing. Holy hell. We're doomed! In more good news (don't know how reliable this is) Mike Brown will also suit up! http://sportshaze.com/toronto/toront...mpionship-2858

Old
04-12-2011, 02:04 PM
CDeeps

Quote:
Oh no. Byfuglien will definitely be needed at forward. These grinders and fringe NHLers won't get things done on the offensive end.

CDeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeeps View Post
Oh no. Byfuglien will definitely be needed at forward. These grinders and fringe NHLers won't get things done on the offensive end.
This team is shaping to actually be worse than last year.

Old
04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
William H Bonney

Is it too late for VS to back out of airing the games?

So much for the hope that they'd actually invite offensively talented players, even if they're one dimensional, when the declined invites started rolling in over bringing along every 4th line plug they could find.

Not unexpected but another disappointing team construction. I can't believe how ineffective 7 NHL GMs and 1 associate NHL GM can be.

04-12-2011, 03:39 PM
William H Bonney

Eric Nystrom won't be available since he's having cheekbone surgery. One less 4th line grinder for our GM committee to target.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Juzmo
Hello

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
They couldn't get anyone better? Stapleton had an awful season.
Meh wouldn't say awful for Tim Stapleton, I mean what can a person expect from him? For a bottom-6 player (4th-line would probably the logical/best choice) with a ton of energy he isn't the worst possible choice out there. But yeah if he is in the two first lines, then I can see why everybody is bummed by this pick.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:54 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Could we see some college/junior players if NHL players keep turning them down? That would be more interesting to me than watching scrubs from the AHL or European leagues. Probably wouldn't be a better team with the younger players, but it would be more fun to watch prospects.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Is it too late for VS to back out of airing the games?

So much for the hope that they'd actually invite offensively talented players, even if they're one dimensional, when the declined invites started rolling in over bringing along every 4th line plug they could find.

Not unexpected but another disappointing team construction. I can't believe how ineffective 7 NHL GMs and 1 associate NHL GM can be.
That's the part that puzzles me. Maybe these GMs are actually telling their American players to skip the tourney....

Old
04-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Meh wouldn't say awful for Tim Stapleton, I mean what can a person expect from him? For a bottom-6 player (4th-line would probably the logical/best choice) with a ton of energy he isn't the worst possible choice out there. But yeah if he is in the two first lines, then I can see why everybody is bummed by this pick.
Right, he's a fringe mighty mite. That being said-where's Robbie Schremp?

Old
04-12-2011, 04:15 PM
babyshamble

What about Hobey Baker winner Andy Miele ? I don`t think he is eligble to play in the playoffs for Phoenix and he could be a very good offensive guy for this USA team. I also think he would be a great fit for international hockey.

babyshamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Right, he's a fringe mighty mite. That being said-where's Robbie Schremp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyshamble View Post
What about Hobey Baker winner Andy Miele ? I don`t think he is eligble to play in the playoffs for Phoenix and he could be a very good offensive guy for this USA team. I also think he would be a great fit for international hockey.
At this point, and I was advocating for this earlier, they need to target guys like this. They tried for the NHL star players and they all said no. Sure, the Schremps, Bochenskis, Hamiltons, and Mieles may be one dimensional players but we need some guys with some offensive skills that can create something.

As of right now, we have one Top Six guy in Blake Wheeler. Four 4th line guys in Y. Stastny, M. Brown, T. Stapleton, and J. Skille. And one 3rd/4th liner in Ryan Shannon. And that's without mentioning that 2 of the 3 d-men we currently have bring zero offensive capabilities.

Unless Erik Cole, David Booth, Matt Cullen, Chad LaRose, and Kevin Porter accept, we're just going to be adding more of the same and we'll be bumping 4th liners up to 1/2 liners and expecting them to score.

Old
04-12-2011, 04:34 PM
PaulieVegas

If the players don't care about this tournament, should I? I would never turn my back on Team USA or refuse to support them, but if the players don't care about the tournament enough to accept an invite, what's there to make me want to watch it?

This is starting to look bad. I wonder if Burke and Co. have made it clear enough to the players that answering the call for the Worlds is a factor that will be considered when Olympics selections are made. A better question might be whether they actually do take this into consideration, If they did and/or made it clear, I'm shocked so many bubble guys are saying no.

Last edited by PaulieVegas: 04-12-2011 at 04:42 PM.
PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:48 PM
htpwn

I figured this was worth a re-post.

How we on the Leaf board think Phil Kessel responded to being asked to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Dog View Post
Burke - "Phil, we want you on Team USA. Stastny is your centre. Brown will also be on your line."

Phil - "Paul Stastny and Dustin Brown are my linemates!? Wow, I can't wait!"

Burke - "No, Yan Stastny and Mike Brown."

Phil - "F' this tournament."

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Stapleton and Brown? Do we want to go back to the relegation round?

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:59 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
If the players don't care about this tournament, should I? I would never turn my back on Team USA or refuse to support them, but if the players don't care about the tournament enough to accept an invite, what's there to make me want to watch it?

This is starting to look bad. I wonder if Burke and Co. have made it clear enough to the players that answering the call for the Worlds is a factor that will be considered when Olympics selections are made. A better question might be whether they actually do take this into consideration, If they did and/or made it clear, I'm shocked so many bubble guys are saying no.
We go through this crap every year, and every year we offer up names that we hope will accept only to fool ourselves. I dont think its the players or USA Hockey that bring our false hopes up; sadly it is us that does this.

I dont know why I would even imagine throwing names like Backes, Stastny, Umberger, Booth, Kessel, etc around...year after year we rarely land these types of players.

One hope is to land the players that eat, crap, and breath USA Hockey, though not many, there are a few. You damn well know Jack Mother ****ing Johnson is always a go for this team.

Same can be said for Dustin Brown and Ryan Suter. Those three guys are all Captain Americas in my eyes; along with Zach Parise. Unfortunately they are usually in the playoffs, so by the time they bow out, they are spent or drained physically and mentally.

I can see Burke and company asking for those guys to bail us out again if their teams get eliminated in the first round. And I would bet anything on at least one of them accepting after a long season.

The other hope is to get as many young kids as possible into this tournament. The kids like N. Palmieri, Fayne, B.Butler, Shattenkirk, McBain, etc are usually great bets because they are young and still want to prove more to their NHL clubs, and some may never have represented their country yet.

Dont give up hope Paulie, those that go deserve our support no matter how talented they are. The ones that do go I am always proud of and will cheer for even more passionately because of the circumstances.

The more Americans that become regular NHLers, the less issues we will have with this due to sheer numbers. It is coming by the way, over 230 Americans suited up at least 1 game this season, a new record.....more and more will become regulars in the coming years.

Keep the faith, I always will.

Old
04-12-2011, 05:00 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I figured this was worth a re-post.

How we on the Leaf board think Phil Kessel responded to being asked to participate.
hahahahahaha, THAT IS CLASSIC...

The sad part is I bet if there was a legit center that Kessel "might" have been more inclined to join...cant blame the guy if there is no other talent with him. But once one guy answers the call, the dominos do fall.

Old
04-12-2011, 05:01 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
I'll still watch but it probably won't be pretty. Supporting the national team less won't be any more incentive for American Hockey players to start caring about this tournament. It shouldn't be that way but it is what it is. I watched the debacle last year all the way through and this year won't be any different. I'm hoping we can get by Austria and Norway and then bow out unceremoniously in the qualification round and not risk relegation.

Quote:
I don't think we're really on the level where we can yet. On a case-by-case basis, sure, it might factor in a little, say if a future roster spot came down to RJ Umberger and Ryan Malone and Umberger continually said no. We can bluff and say it will factor in for anyone and try and foster a competitive environment internally for this tournament, one where players are afraid to say no if they aren't long standing members of the national team, and thus might be playing more to stay in the good graces of USA Hockey than because they grew up caring about the World Championships. Hockey Canada has that but they also have much more depth than we do and can afford to "burn some bridges" if they want. If they blacklist a player so-to-speak, they could replace him with someone equally as good and it would simply be a matter of preference. We can do that on some level but not for very long.

I, too, am surprised that a few of the bubble guys are so comfortable saying no for no other reason than they don't want to play. Kessel is still the most surprising one to me. Not his reasoning for saying no but he's skipping chances to cement his very shaky ground in our national team Top 9.

Old
04-12-2011, 05:04 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
hahahahahaha, THAT IS CLASSIC...

The sad part is I bet if there was a legit center that Kessel "might" have been more inclined to join...cant blame the guy if there is no other talent with him. But once one guy answers the call, the dominos do fall.
Possibly, but I don't think Phil was lying when he said he just wanted to rest. The guy has been through a lot of stuff this year. From being picked last in the all-star game, to 'Missing' posters of him showing up in the ACC during a slump, to playing half the season with fringe NHLers, I would think he is probably mentally and physically drained.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote