Heatley to be indicted?!

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

vCash: 500
Heatley to be indicted?!

I thought this issue was dead and buried. Apparently not..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...18&hubName=nhl

Old
07-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Kaiped Krusader

Great choice of words.

Old
07-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther
I thought this issue was dead and buried. Apparently not..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...18&hubName=nhl
Why would it be? If this happened to any one of us we would be arrainged too.

Old
07-02-2004, 05:06 PM
StevenintheATL

When I heard this on the radio this morning, I was a little peeved to say the least. Why did it take them this long to get to where there may be an indictment against Heatley? The Fulton County DA's Office had been saying for well over 6 months to expect an indictment soon. What ever happened to the concept of the right to a speedy trial? Hopefully, they'll plea this out, so to avoid a show trial (as any trial in Atlanta involving an athlete ends up being a show trial). Suspend his license, make him do community service, make him do a driver's safety video on the dangers of speeding, and put him on probation for a few years, that would be the best way to go. The Snyders really don't want to see Dany go to jail for this wreck, they've given him a lot of support and have forgiven him for what happened; now if only the Fulton County DA could see that and act accordingly.

Old
07-02-2004, 05:58 PM
The Sneak

I have no desire to get into a vindictive DA/pleading family of victim/murderous hockey player thread, but considering all the thugs that ply their trade in Fulton County I'd say bringing in a charge in under a year is pert darned speedy. Atlanta: She ain't Mayberry. If all they had to do was book Otis the drunk and then get to work on Ferrari accident/manslaughter case, I'd agree that this took too long.

Old
07-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiped Krusader
Great choice of words.
Oh geez, I didn't even think about that ..

Not my intention to poke fun at all. Vespajet's post pretty much summed up the way I had looked at it. The family doesn't want to press charges, let the issue drop..

Old
07-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespajet
When I heard this on the radio this morning, I was a little peeved to say the least. Why did it take them this long to get to where there may be an indictment against Heatley? The Fulton County DA's Office had been saying for well over 6 months to expect an indictment soon. What ever happened to the concept of the right to a speedy trial? Hopefully, they'll plea this out, so to avoid a show trial (as any trial in Atlanta involving an athlete ends up being a show trial). Suspend his license, make him do community service, make him do a driver's safety video on the dangers of speeding, and put him on probation for a few years, that would be the best way to go. The Snyders really don't want to see Dany go to jail for this wreck, they've given him a lot of support and have forgiven him for what happened; now if only the Fulton County DA could see that and act accordingly.
Right to a speedy trial is different than right to a speedy indictment (which doesn't exist). The only rights one has in that area are the statutes of limitations.

Old
07-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Russian_fanatic

The Snyder family said that they did not want Heatley to spend ANY time in jail .

Old
07-02-2004, 08:39 PM
laraque#27

heatley has had a hard enough time with this.i'am sure there is not a day goes by without him thinking about dan,give him a break so he can go on and become the best player in the nhl.also dan snyder i'am sure would not like to see his good friend have to go though all this.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:37 PM
tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
The Snyder family said that they did not want Heatley to spend ANY time in jail .

We're aware of that, thanks, and I'm sure you're aware of the fact that legally speaking, the Snyders' wishes have no impact whatsoever on the DA's office's decision to proceed. It's unfortunate for the Snyders, but it is the law.

Rhodes Rage also makes a good point -- NFL star Jamal Lewis was recently indicted in Fulton County on charges that resulted from an investigation that started more than FOUR YEARS ago. The wheels of justice can turn very slowly indeed.

Old
07-08-2004, 08:55 AM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by laraque#27
heatley has had a hard enough time with this.i'am sure there is not a day goes by without him thinking about dan,give him a break so he can go on and become the best player in the nhl.also dan snyder i'am sure would not like to see his good friend have to go though all this.
This is something that's very wrong in American society.If Heatley wasn't a star athlete, nobody would have a problem with him going to jail.It's unfortunate that his friend died, but his death was caused by Heatley's carelessness.Heatley should have to face the music just like anyone else in the same situation. Being famous doesn't mean you're above the law, does it?

Closed Thread