HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G Matt Jurusik - Janesville Jets, NAHL; committed to Wisconsin (2015 undrafted)

Old
03-21-2015, 08:57 AM
hoc123

vCash: 451
G Matt Jurusik - Janesville Jets, NAHL; committed to Wisconsin (2015 undrafted)

Everyone is talking about Matej Tomek in the NAHL but no one is talking about Matt Jurusik. Best in GAA and SV% in the league yet he's not in any list besides Central Scouting and even in CS he's only 21'st in North American Goalies. He's 6"1 so while he's not tall his height shouldn't hurt him "at least a lot", and he's 18 so he's not overage. Is there a reason why he's not being talked about a lot. Is there something with his technique or something about rebound control that isn't good.

Here is his stats

http://http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=232966

Last edited by hoc123: 07-03-2015 at 10:57 AM.
hoc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2015, 10:37 PM
hoc123

vCash: 451
Bump

Does anyone know anything about him? Has better stats then Tomek who is looking like he could be a 2nd round pick. He's not big for a goalie but not really small either (6"1). Any info would be good.

hoc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2015, 11:04 PM
smalt021

vCash: 500
Fargo Force of the USHL affiliate player this past year.

smalt021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2015, 01:04 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
August through September, Jurusik had a slow start between Hlinka and Janesville. He and his team then kicked it into gear and finished as record-setters, despite getting upset in the playoffs last weekend:
Quote:
The win was the Jets' 49th of the season, which broke the NAHL record of 48 set by Bozeman in the 2005-2006 season.

It also gave the Jets 100 points making them the first team ever to hit the triple-digit mark. Amarillo collected 99 points in both the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons.

The Jets, behind goalie Matt Jurusik allowed just 113 goals in the 60 games, smashing the league record of 118 set by Amarillo in the 2012-'13 season.
Relevant excerpts from December and April articles on Jurusik:
Quote:
“He's just been consistent all year,” Jets head coach Joe Dibble said. “He's a young kid, so there's still some things we'd like to see him do different, not during games but other areas. But as far as winning hockey games, he's proven himself to everybody.

“Games that we haven't been good, he's been very good and won us hockey games.”

“At such a young age, he's already played on some big stages,” Dibble said. “He's got this aura that he brings into the net with him. For us, it's not a negative thing by any means. He's confident and walks that fine line. It's good for us. I love it.”
Quote:
At this point, the mystery is why Division I and professional scouts have also been a tad quiet.

Jurusik is certainly on the NHL's radar, but it's a bit of an enigma that a Division I program hasn't noticed Jurusik's streak and snatched up a commitment.

“He's one of the elite goaltenders in the country for his age,” Dibble said. “He's going to play Division I college hockey and he's going to play pro hockey, but he's going to have to earn every step of it. He's up for the challenge.”
Further, below are the two first period GA vs Minnesota in last Friday's 2-1 game one loss. First GA came on the first SA he faced, while the second came only minutes later and quickly after a lost defensive zone faceoff. (Janesville also lost game two on Saturday 2-1, and with it being a best-of-three series, were eliminated.)

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2015, 08:25 AM
OTBHockey
HFB Partner

He is a pretty good prospect from what I hear and should be committing to a Division 1 program pretty soon...

OTBHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2015, 05:47 PM
wein

The Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) are bringing him to training camp. Moncton has very little talent at the position currently, 7 goalies on their protected list but 3 of those were just drafted in the last 2 weeks. I know the NAHL has put out some really good goalies recently and he seems to have been one of the best last year at 17. Why has he not committed to a college yet? I guess I'm just surprised that he passed through OHL waivers while not being committed to a college with those numbers so that Moncton could claim him.

wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Zaddy Zads
Deutschland Dangler

Surprised he wasn't drafted with those numbers. Thought someone would use at least a 7th on him. Will be interesting to see how he does in the NCAA.

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2015, 12:15 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I guess this guy is replacing Opilka's spot.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote