HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Ryan Pulock (2013, 15th overall, New York Islanders)

Old
06-10-2013, 05:10 PM
oldunclehue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I think you should look up the definition of the word excuse and not take it so negative. In fact don't take it so personal as well, you're getting a little wound up over an 18 year old boy.
Well you spout off, how many times have you seen Pulock play?

oldunclehue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Keystone

First time I ever seen him play, I went home thinking the wheat kings got a decent looking 16 year forward. Spent so much time down low pinching I was actually confused where he played. Good kid and I hope he proves some doubters wrong.

Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Wouldn't bother me in the least if the Leafs took him should he be there, which he won't be.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Fozz

Pulock is quickly becoming on of the most underrated players in the draft. Some folks here even said he had no outstanding qualities... Strange since he has probably the best shot and some of the best leadership qualities of all draft eligible players. What are those if not outstanding qualities?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Delicious Pancakes

I find these comments about Pulock being just about maxed out physically and this meaning that he has limited upside as a result kind of ridiculous. Most defensemen get better bacause they learn how to play the game better not just because they grow into their bodies. He's already improved his skating somewhat and can do more on that front, and he's already got an excellent asset with his shot. I see him developing into a 2nd pairing, 1st PP trigger man.

There are other players who aren't as good of junior players right now who probably have more potential than him and in a deep draft I can see NHL teams passing on Pulock because they don't wanna miss the boat on a potentially elite player by making a safer pick with Pulock. However to suggest the reason he's slipping in rankings is because he's topped out his development so he won't be a top 6 d-man is absurd. The guy has lots he can work on and like any player it's largely up to him whether he makes it to the NHL and what type of player he becomes once he gets there.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Pulock has easily become the most underrated d-man going into the draft, can't believe there is actually people here who thinks he is a borderline 1st rounder. I had be ecstatic if he was available at our pick and would gladly have him on our team.

I see a legit top-pairing defender at the NHL level for many years in Pulock.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Just based on his size, I wouldn't mind seeing Detroit take him. Other than that I really don't know much about him. Anybody who's seen a lot or know a lot about him care to give an outlook?

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Depending on the move's Homer makes before the draft this is the guy I would LOVE to see to see in Philadelphia. I honestly believe he has the hockey IQ and offensive ability of Erik Karlsson. Pair him with the Luke Schenn of last year and the Flyers will be set. I'm HUGE on Pulock, IMO he'll be the best D-man out of the draft (YES BETTER THAN JONES)

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
Depending on the move's Homer makes before the draft this is the guy I would LOVE to see to see in Philadelphia. I honestly believe he has the hockey IQ and offensive ability of Erik Karlsson. Pair him with the Luke Schenn of last year and the Flyers will be set. I'm HUGE on Pulock, IMO he'll be the best D-man out of the draft (YES BETTER THAN JONES)
If Homer wants him he might as well trade down.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:47 PM
StrongIslanders90

Ryan Pulock welcome to the NYI!

Isaid it months ago and Renegade Stylings backed me up.....

A Reinhart-Pulock pair would be awsome

Last edited by StrongIslanders90: 07-02-2013 at 10:57 PM.
StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:57 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
RS.

IMO Pulock will be a top 10 pick and the isles have a good chance of being in the top 10.

The isles dont have a dynamic offensive dman like Pulock and he would round out thier D core.

How do you think his game and Reinharts game would be if paired together? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
He will be an Islander if the isles dont have a top 5 pick
Back in DEC and FEB I was on him...I had a crazy feeling he was going to be an islander... Im happy I was right.....

page 9-10

Old
07-02-2013, 10:59 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
I really hope they don't land him.

..... I want to see the Isles in the playoffs this year!
We both win

Old
07-04-2013, 11:11 AM
IslandersFan17

I think when all is said and done, Pulock is going to have some All-Stat caliber seasons with his ability to put up points and play in all situations.

People for one reason or another are undervaluing Ryan's ability in his own end. Some just see a booming shot and that is all. However, Ryan is mature beyond his years both mentally and physically. Very responsible in his own end. Of course Ryan can use polishing seeing as how the kid was a forward early in his junior career.

Yet, teams will pay dearly to try and find that PP QB and Pulock brings that attribute in spades.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Lacaar

I recall last year there was a lot of sentiment that Pulock would have been taken around or before any of the d-men from last years top grouping. Murray, Reinhart, Reilly, etc.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:50 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I recall last year there was a lot of sentiment that Pulock would have been taken around or before any of the d-men from last years top grouping. Murray, Reinhart, Reilly, etc.
I love Pulock. His size and all around ability is pretty great. But unfortunately, I think last year alot of that hype was significantly based upon his skating taking a pretty solid step forward.

Because he is so built for his age, I am not sure how much more you can expect him to "speed up" based on strength alone. Hopefully he can improve his mechanics as they are pretty clunky and it hinders him.

I would not put him ahead of either of those three guys, but probably in a tier below, but its not some massive gap by any means. Love this player.

I just happen to think those guys have some electric and dynamic qualities that separate them, not that Pulock's shot isnt dynamic.

Rielly and Murray most appealing to me.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
I love Pulock. His size and all around ability is pretty great. But unfortunately, I think last year alot of that hype was significantly based upon his skating taking a pretty solid step forward.

Because he is so built for his age, I am not sure how much more you can expect him to "speed up" based on strength alone. Hopefully he can improve his mechanics as they are pretty clunky and it hinders him.

I would not put him ahead of either of those three guys, but probably in a tier below, but its not some massive gap by any means. Love this player.

I just happen to think those guys have some electric and dynamic qualities that separate them, not that Pulock's shot isnt dynamic.

Makes sense to me. Nice explanation!

I haven't watched him play but I know how some prospects get seen from a different light once drafted. I know there must be a reason he stopped being regarded quite so highly like you provided.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:08 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

I haven't watched him play but I know how some prospects get seen from a different light once drafted. I know there must be a reason he stopped being regarded quite so highly like you provided.
He was playing injured and with a cast on his wrist....If he would have had another 60 pt season the hype would still be there...unfortunately people get so caught up in Stats....
Also he was drafted in the CHL as a forward so he still has time to improve his defensive play. I Have seen mix reviews on his skating but I remember John Tavares skating s=coming into the NHL was not so good and now its one of his strengths. If Pulock works on his skating with the right people he can absolutely improve....He already is built like a man and has NHL ready size so physically he is fine....

what I want from Pulock is for him to countinue to work on his defensive game and positioning....

IMHO I believe that Pulock we be a top 4 defenseman for the Isles one day....

Old
07-04-2013, 01:12 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post

Not saying Pulock's going to be anywhere as good as this guy but how "electric" and "dynamic" was Lidstrom. It's a basic case you can still be a good player without being that electric or dynamic, my hope is Pulock ends up a Sheldon Souray(another I wouldn't put in the eletric and dynamic category) type with better defensive instincts

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:43 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:

Maybe it was what I said, but Im sure as others have said the injury did not help. Gauthier was 15ish range at one point too before broken jaw. Its a bad time to get injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Not saying Pulock's going to be anywhere as good as this guy but how "electric" and "dynamic" was Lidstrom. It's a basic case you can still be a good player without being that electric or dynamic, my hope is Pulock ends up a Sheldon Souray(another I wouldn't put in the eletric and dynamic category) type with better defensive instincts
For sure, but there are not many Lidstrom types obviously. I think he will be a top 4 guy for sure. I think perhaps like a beauchemin.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:49 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Pulock with a 4-point night(2G-2A) in his first game since being returned from Islanders camp.

*credit to InformTheMasses for the video.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:53 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Looking forward to a Rielly-Pulock PP pairing at the WJCs. Both those guys are ridiculously good on the PP from what I saw in Moose Jaw-Brandon games.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:05 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Looking forward to a Rielly-Pulock PP pairing at the WJCs. Both those guys are ridiculously good on the PP from what I saw in Moose Jaw-Brandon games.
That doesn't even sound fair...

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 12:12 AM
boredmale

Pulock sort of reminds me of Chris Chelios(body type and shot). I like the fact he seems to hit along with the offense

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Hale The Villain

He'll be the Trouba-like steal of 2013 - a guy people will look back in hindsight and wonder how he fell to 15.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:02 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Staple tweeted that Pulock had opened some eyes in training camp and there was debate in the front office, over keeping him up for the 9 game look.
The isles are giving Reinhart the 9 game look instead. He also impressed in training camp.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote