HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there ANY chance Sather steps down after this season?

Old
03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Is there ANY chance Sather steps down after this season?

Come on, people, give me something positive to look forward to. Right now, (and every year this time) I'm a depressed, dejected, sad, angry Ranger fan.

What are the chances this colossal failure finally leaves us after this season, liberating us from his clutches of misery?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Why would he?

He had this job for as long as he wants it, and despite 2 playoff round victories in 10 and a half years, all you have to do is read some of these threads to see hes convinced some of the fanbase that he's operating "THE COURSE!"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
bubba5

Yes.....none.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The 80's Oilers influence on the Rangers has gone on way too long, its time for a revolution !!!

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:24 PM
asparkoflife

No. not a chance.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:25 PM
OverTheCap

Wishful thinking, he won't be going anywhere, sadly...

If we don't get Brad Richards on July 1, I am quite fearful of what Plan "B" may entail... Markov and Connolly to go along with our oft-injured winger, perhaps? It could get ugly....

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

You have a better chance of seeing ticket prices lowered next year.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:38 PM
The Beezer

Why would he? This has probably been one of his more successful campaigns (which is so so sad, the more I think about it ).

The Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Why would he?

He had this job for as long as he wants it, and despite 2 playoff round victories in 10 and a half years, all you have to do is read some of these threads to see hes convinced some of the fanbase that he's operating "THE COURSE!"
QFT. I have a feeling a lot of the people he has "convinced" are much younger and were not around for the dark ages (98-05)

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The 80's Oilers influence on the Rangers has gone on way too long, its time for a revolution !!!
It worked for Egypt! You bring the guns and I'll bring the carboard and sharpies for picket signs!!

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Shadowtron

I know over 60% of the board approved of his performance back when the team was winning, however, I was not among that 60%. I cannot wait...absolutely cannot wait until the day this man is gone from this team.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Jersey Girl

Well I'm one of Sather's harshest critics...I don't think there is any chance in the world that this team will ever compete for a Stanley Cup under Sather. He has done nothing to prove he knows how to build a team anymore.

That said, I can't be too critical of him at the moment, and I see no way he would step down right now. Why would he unless there are health reasons or something we don't know about?

His free agent signings did their usual Crash and Burn routine, but otherwise he stayed with the kids and didn't sacrifice too much at the trade deadline. I would not have even given up a 3rd for McCabe, I would have preferred gathering draft picks and/or prospects instead, but since I've set my Sather expectations so low, he's actually exceeded them recently.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
drewcon40

I am probably one of the older posters who date back to Craig Patrick. If anything, this has been Sather's best year. I think the "Fire Sather" thing is old. He isn't the problem this year. He didn't get Richards? Probably because Nieuwendyk was asking for a boatload? Has Sather crippled us with free agent signings? Absolutely.

I understand why some are calling for Sather's head. But, be careful what you wish for. Who will replace him? Messier is unproven. (Spare me the Stevie Y comparisons). Jim Nill from Detroit? Does this man even have an interest in leaving the Red Wings?

I have a feeling the hard feelings for Sather are just a residual effect from the loss last night. I still feel Sather has a great record with trades lately.

McCabe for a 3rd and Kennedy (3rd pick is valuable but I am not crying over that)
Wolski - Roszival trade?
Gomez trade
Higgins / Kotalik trade that got us Prust
Taking a chance on Brian Boyle for a 3rd rounder.

If you want to knock Slats, he didn't come away from the 2004 purge with much. I think in early 2004, a salary cap was very much indeed discussed prior to the lockout/strike. He acquired Jagr for Anson Carter and Washington to pick up half the tab on the salary!

Things aren't that bad. I just think after holding steady with Richards. What is it that Sather didn't do this year that you want him gone. Besides this process taking so long, we are finally on the cusp.

Who do you guys suggest replaces Slats?

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Funny, and people want Messier to be the GM. We will never escape the 80's Oilers!

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:08 PM
TheRedViper

There's no reason for him to step down now. He's actually building the team correctly, through the draft. The team as currently constructed is not far off from contending, and we have a strong farm system, which is only going to improve with 3 picks in the first 2 rounds coming up. Obviously he's made mistakes, but he's either already fixed them, or they will most likely be fixed by July1.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:10 PM
NYRKindms

Here is my conspiracy theory about what will happen

Sather stays on until Messier feels he is ready.

Meanwhile Keenan has been watching in the wings, observing the players, doing coaches corner, MSG live etc and can easily step in

Sather leaves, Messier becomes GM and immediately hires Keenan for the coaching job

(I just think it is hilarious that the NYR cup winning coach is basically shadowing the current coach, even on Torts own show. If I were Torts I would be keeping a sharp eye on Keenan. I always wondered if they brought Keenan in to "control" Torts a little)

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:12 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Sather really hasn't done any bad over the last couple of years. If you want to say McIlrath over taking a forward, that remains to be seen (which is more of a Clark thing anyway). I think McIlrath will be what this team needs in a couple years.

Otherwise, over the past two seasons, what has he done that's been so horrible? Kotalik (which became Prust), Boogard, Frolov (one year contract)... Can you name more than that?

Either way, Messier will probably be our next GM, so just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. People wanted youth, we have it. People wanted Sather to not trade young player and high picks for rentals and old players, he's done that. He's been finally doing what we've all been asking for.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
McCabe for a 3rd and Kennedy (3rd pick is valuable but I am not crying over that)
Wolski - Roszival trade?
Gomez trade
Higgins / Kotalik trade that got us Prust
Taking a chance on Brian Boyle for a 3rd rounder.
This is my biggest issue with people who defend sather and say he isn't the problem. You pointed out 4 trades here. Were they great trades for the rangers, yes. Thing was, 3 of these 4 trades were to clean up horrible contracts he handed out.

I do think this team took a step in the right direction this year for the first time since the 90's, however, i believe Tortorella had a lot to do with that and Sather's realization that the salary cap doesn't allow him to spend willingly.

Hes been here a long time and has very little to show for it. And at this point, I would rather have anyone in charge than Sather. I just think the sather "experiment" if you can call it that after 10 years, should have been finished 5 years ago.

I won't be able to forgive and respect him until the rangers win multiple cups. Honestly, one stanley cup, as much as i want to see it, just won't make up for everything hes ruined.

Old
03-02-2011, 01:13 PM
TrollololBoyle

Sather has a plan and it shows, it's also working well so far. The last thing I want is for him to leave and have a new GM mess with things, and I'm not a fan of Sather at all, but I am very happy with what he's done the last 2 years.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Also, for all the messes he has cleaned up, we are still stuck with Drury and Redden's summer cap hit.

Think where this team COULD be if we were to put that money towards players who EARNED it.

Old
03-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Sather really hasn't done any bad over the last couple of years. If you want to say McIlrath over taking a forward, that remains to be seen (which is more of a Clark thing anyway). I think McIlrath will be what this team needs in a couple years.

Otherwise, over the past two seasons, what has he done that's been so horrible? Kotalik (which became Prust), Boogard, Frolov (one year contract)... Can you name more than that?

Either way, Messier will probably be our next GM, so just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. People wanted youth, we have it. People wanted Sather to not trade young player and high picks for rentals and old players, he's done that. He's been finally doing what we've all been asking for.
Some people seem to care more about getting back at Sather for the bad years than winning at this point.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:18 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

What's the teams average age?

Better yet, what's the defense corp's average age? Despite McCabe's age, who happens to be a very good pick up, the Rangers defense is one of the youngest in the league.

6 of our top forwards are 25 and under. Dubinsky, Callahan, Stepan, Anisimov, Wolski, Boyle.

5 of them will probably finish the season with 20+ goals.

An awful lot of *****ing going on.

This is a process that's going to take more then one year.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
This is my biggest issue with people who defend sather and say he isn't the problem. You pointed out 4 trades here. Were they great trades for the rangers, yes. Thing was, 3 of these 4 trades were to clean up horrible contracts he handed out.

I do think this team took a step in the right direction this year for the first time since the 90's, however, i believe Tortorella had a lot to do with that and Sather's realization that the salary cap doesn't allow him to spend willingly.

Hes been here a long time and has very little to show for it. And at this point, I would rather have anyone in charge than Sather. I just think the sather "experiment" if you can call it that after 10 years, should have been finished 5 years ago.

I won't be able to forgive and respect him until the rangers win multiple cups. Honestly, one stanley cup, as much as i want to see it, just won't make up for everything hes ruined.
Okay, too bad. It wasn't. We don't have a choice to never have hired him in the first place. Unless you have a time machine you're not telling us about, the only choice we have with Sather is to fire him now or let him continue on the path he's currently on. I'll opt for the latter because I want to win, and win the right way and honestly I don't care who gets us there I'm just happy that that's where we're going.

I care more about getting to the destination than the guy driving us there.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:19 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Some people seem to care more about getting back at Sather for the bad years than winning at this point.
I think Sather is the only person in hockey that isn't affected by the "What have you done for me lately?" With him, it's "What you did 5-10 years ago."

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:20 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Puckface, I understand that but how can you dismiss the fact that he was able to undo his mistakes? Once he makes a bad signing (whether it be Gomez or Kotalik), it is an asset that he turned into an improvement.

Believe me I am no Sather apologist, I am just pointing out that turning a mistake into something valuable is a positive, not a negative.

Puckface, I appreciate and respect your opinion or post as a fellow NYR fan. Who would you replace him with? Would you be happy with Messier? Gordie Clark?

I am just curious who you'd want.

Also, are you counting on Jim Dolan to make a credible hire? (I hope they were just false rumors. Donnie Walsh cleaned up the Knicks, and Dolan wants to bring Isiah back. That just gives me the heebie geebies)

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote