HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bad Bounce, Bad Bounce, Whatcha Gunna Do?

Old
03-04-2011, 03:31 AM
Luceni

vCash: 500
add vaneks toi to the ugly.......

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:57 AM
LFDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
add vaneks toi to the ugly.......
Why that? 17+ minutes, probably with a slighty hurt ankle. Nothing wrong here.

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:13 AM
dire wolf
be cool

I think some of you were watching a different game than I was.

The Connolly hate is blinding some peoples ability to watch the game. I thought Tim looked great. Sure, he coughed the puck up on a couple of dumb plays, but so did every other player on the ice. Meanwhile, he had good energy and made a lot I'd nice plays away from the puck and on D.

On the other hand, I can't believe people have Myers in the good column. Sure, he flattened Ruutu Douglas Murray style, but his puck handling in his own end was atrocious. He looked extremely hesitant, if not drunk. Maybe he and Miller were toasting before the game.

ennis was fantastic and the most dynamic guy on the ice.

Hecht played one of his best games of the year. He and Staff were really strong on the puck and down low.

Mill

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:34 AM
ct2111

Good:
- Sekera offensively, hopefully starting to fullfill his potential
- Myers
- Butler with another steady game
- Boyes potting another
- Stafford along the boards

Bad:
- Morrisonn-Weber
- Finishing
- Ennis passing up the easy pass trying to dangle through the whole defense and go for the difficult one
- PP
- Miller
- Bad angle shots (I'm looking at you Pominville and Hecht, though both had good games), as if there's any chance a guy like Ward lets one through

Ugly:
- Drop passes on the PP

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:41 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
The Connolly hate is blinding some peoples ability to watch the game. I thought Tim looked great. Sure, he coughed the puck up on a couple of dumb plays, but so did every other player on the ice. Meanwhile, he had good energy and made a lot I'd nice plays away from the puck and on D.
He had one atrocious turnover in his own zone that nearly lead to a goal, but otherwise I agree. Boyes had gazillion chances set up by Timmy, but couldn't finish.

Quote:
On the other hand, I can't believe people have Myers in the good column. Sure, he flattened Ruutu Douglas Murray style, but his puck handling in his own end was atrocious. He looked extremely hesitant, if not drunk. Maybe he and Miller were toasting before the game.
I thought he and Butler played a steady game, didn't notice him much, also didn't notice him doing anything stupid.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Blitz
EI-KILL 4 McEICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Miller has let his status go to his head. He just is NOT the same goalie from last year. I'm severely leaning towards him being an above average goalie but not elite. Calling last year an aberration.
Maybe when Jhonas comes up for good .... We'll see how comfortable Mr. Miller is with his starting job being a lock. A little friendly competition never hurt anyone, right?

With Patty backing him up, there is absolutely no pressure whatsoever. Ryan knows even on his worst day he is still twice as good as Lalime, kinda kills a starters motivation me thinks...

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1237
Quote:

My post on Connolly on the first page comes off as kind of sarcastic, but I really did think he had a good game up until the last 2 minutes or so when he tried to do to much.

When he skated in on the 1-on-4, you could just feel him trying to channel "old tim".

Tim's been putting in the effort the last few games and that's all we can ask I think.

Quote:
Maybe when Jhonas comes up for good
IMO the time for Jonas to be on this team permanently is right now. Bring him up and let him experience hockey at it's highest level (this is only a small step down from playoff hockey right now). And we get to keep Miller fresh for the playoffs if we get there. He should be up with the big club and active.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:04 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Maybe when Jhonas comes up for good .... We'll see how comfortable Mr. Miller is with his starting job being a lock. A little friendly competition never hurt anyone, right?

With Patty backing him up, there is absolutely no pressure whatsoever. Ryan knows even on his worst day he is still twice as good as Lalime, kinda kills a starters motivation me thinks...
If anyone thinks Miller isn't completely motivated, then well....

It's amazing that none of these comments were coming out the previous several games that Miller played.

Also, Connolly could have made a much better effort getting back on Carolina's first goal. He literally glided back into the zone.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
If anyone thinks Miller isn't completely motivated, then well....

It's amazing that none of these comments were coming out the previous several games that Miller played.
I don't think motivation is the reason to bring Jonas up. Running Miller into the ground trying to get to the playoffs is not the answer.

Jonas should be up. Today.

Old
03-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

Please. There's likely not a more self-motivated player on the team than Miller. The backup goaltender situation is relevant only insofar as it forces him to play too many games in a row. It certainly has zero bearing on how hard Miller pushes himself. I'm pretty sure Miller is going to have zero concern about losing his job to Enroth over the next couple of seasons.

God, can the guy have an "off" game--I'd call it that before horrible or terrible--without people feeling the need to engage in an analysis of whether he's being pushed enough by the backup, or pushed too hard by the coach, or his mental state since the Olympics or getting engaged. He was excellent for seven games and had an off night last night. It happens. Deal with it.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

This game is frankly irrelevant in my case for bringing Jonas up.

We need a backup goaltender. For all the reasons teams have backup goaltenders. It's as simple as that.

Old
03-04-2011, 09:37 AM
barcs

Quote:

So Tim gets a free pass for puck handling, cause everyone else had trouble but Myers doesn't?

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Miller has let his status go to his head. He just is NOT the same goalie from last year. I'm severely leaning towards him being an above average goalie but not elite. Calling last year an aberration.
What kind of freaking nonsense is this? How do you know what's between Miller's ears? The guy's been playing lights out for some time and you're calling into question his integrity? Come on....

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:27 AM
OkimLom

I thought the Cycling was pretty good. Once again Miller mishandles/misreads a puck which leads to a goal. Sure he has his decent moments but he lets in a ton of head scratching goals. Which leads to the Offense. Yeah we had good movement in their zone but they need to bury their chances.

Sekera and montador I thought played awful. Especially when Sekera got hurt. Then he goes out there and loses control of the puck at the end of the pp which leads to us taking a penalty.

I'm a Ruff supporter(actually a Coach supporter). But I think his decision to play the gaustad line way too often, is wrong. Also, you have a defenseman in Myers who has multiple GWG this year and you don't throw him out there for the opening faceoff in OT? I don't get it. And sure enough they score on the first shift.

I'm very disappointed.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Can't decide;

Is Pominville killing lots of trees or single-handedly keeping composit hockey stick factories in business?

I have never seen a single player break so many hockey sticks every single season.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
captaincrunch89

Ugly: Canes fans/press complaining that Sabres fans are so violent that they have to triple security at games. I find this odd, I think that opposing fans are bad everywhere. I wonder if its not a combination of both our fans and their fans that make it bad. Either way I don't like that our fan base is being slandered like this. Unless it really is that bad, which I doubt.

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:38 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch89 View Post
Ugly: Canes fans/press complaining that Sabres fans are so violent that they have to triple security at games. I find this odd, I think that opposing fans are bad everywhere. I wonder if its not a combination of both our fans and their fans that make it bad. Either way I don't like that our fan base is being slandered like this. Unless it really is that bad, which I doubt.
Yeah speaking of this I watched a Hurricanes fan try to goad some Sabres fans into a fight in the stands, complete with two-handed "come down here and get it" gesture. One of the Sabres fans turned around and hailed security. I hate the animosity, because 99% of the Sabres fans out there are really good about being in the building and showing respect, just like any other team that visits the RBC.

Edit: I had to fight the impulse to accidentally trip said fan on his way up the stairs after the game...Oops ok maybe we do have some violent impulses lol

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:43 AM
captaincrunch89

Thats kind of what I thought, it's annoying that I spent time defending our fans to these morons on twitter today. I believed it at first, but after more and more Canes fans started telling me that most Sabres fans are fine, I figured that it might just be Canes fans are just as guilty if not more so.

Old
03-04-2011, 10:43 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
Yeah speaking of this I watched a Hurricanes fan try to goad some Sabres fans into a fight in the stands, complete with two-handed "come down here and get it" gesture. One of the Sabres fans turned around and hailed security. I hate the animosity, because 99% of the Sabres fans out there are really good about being in the building and showing respect, just like any other team that visits the RBC.

Edit: I had to fight the impulse to accidentally trip said fan on his way up the stairs after the game...Oops ok maybe we do have some violent impulses lol
Every fan base has their idiots, and I think we all know that. It's also the tiny portion of idiots that get all the attention and create the bad name/press. The thing I always find interesting about Carolina fans is that they whine more than anyone else, and claim their fans are always absolute angels. I have never heard a Carolina fan admit that another Carolina fan did anything wrong (or was even capable of it).

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch89 View Post
I suspect it is similar to how many Leaf and Hab fans don't understand our animosity toward busloads of drunken, testosterone laden dolts who besmurch the entire fanbase's reputation by their antics in Buffalo, again.... and again.... and again. Does that make all of them louts? No. Does that color our impression that they are going to be boorish, besotted swing? Yes, it does.

03-04-2011, 11:27 AM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I suspect it is similar to how many Leaf and Hab fans don't understand our animosity toward busloads of drunken, testosterone laden dolts who besmurch the entire fanbase's reputation by their antics in Buffalo, again.... and again.... and again. Does that make all of them louts? No. Does that color our impression that they are going to be boorish, besotted swing? Yes, it does.
This makes sense, it's the argument I've been trying to use to defend our fan base as a whole. I think some of them get it but there are a few that don't, sadly it seems that at least one of those is a reporter for the Raleigh News and Observer.

Old
03-04-2011, 11:42 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
So Tim gets a free pass for puck handling, cause everyone else had trouble but Myers doesn't?
Not at all. I'm just saying that Myers was not in my "G" column this game. Overall, he's been really good lately and I give him full credit for picking up his game thus season. It's just that I find it absurd that people refuse to admit that Timmy played a good game.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:05 PM
MayDay

Good:

-Boyes looking like a nice acquisition.
-Gaining a precious point on NY Rangers.

Bad:

-Didn't get to watch the first 2 periods.
-Losing a precious point to Carolina.
-Our PP zone entry is the worst. Drop-pass, four guys stand still at the blue line while one guy tries to skate it in and stickhandle through 3 defenders. Which inevitably fails, and the puck is lost and zone is cleared before the four other guys at the blue line can really enter the zone and set-up the play. Rinse, repeat for 2 minutes.

Ugly:

-Brind'amour

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:19 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

G- Gerbe in, Neidermayer out

B- not clearing out Staal's screen on that winning goal

U- Vanek line

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:36 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Good:

-Boyes looking like a nice acquisition.
-Gaining a precious point on NY Rangers.

Bad:

-Didn't get to watch the first 2 periods.
-Losing a precious point to Carolina.
-Our PP zone entry is the worst. Drop-pass, four guys stand still at the blue line while one guy tries to skate it in and stickhandle through 3 defenders. Which inevitably fails, and the puck is lost and zone is cleared before the four other guys at the blue line can really enter the zone and set-up the play. Rinse, repeat for 2 minutes.
PP looks bad with Myers on the point as opposed to Leopold. We're missing that guy all through the game, frankly. We need him back for the rest of this road trip. Can't have a PP struggling on a 7 game trip from home.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote