HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Discussion (Update: Torts extended 3 years)

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2011, 11:45 PM
bmw2004

vCash: 500
I said it before, I am saying it again. Torts is the main reason this team most likely will not make the playoffs this year again.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:34 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Tire Forts !

Old
04-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I said it before, I am saying it again. Torts is the main reason this team most likely will not make the playoffs this year again.
The guy has nothing close to a top center and his best ace took a crap this year. You realize how young our blueline is? No backup goalie again? Yet we are still right there. Take away Hank and Torts we are looking foward to the draft rather than a big game vs the Debbies.

Hey don't forget his 7 mil captain who has an amazing 0 goals this year. To me he turned a pile of poop into a gold nugget.

Old
04-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Give the man at least some good tools to begin with. He`s no wizard who can make gold out of rocks. If somebody`s getting fired it has to be Glen Sather who is a pure poker player.

Old
04-08-2011, 07:26 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I dislike Torts from his time in TB but this isn't his fault. Put together a really young D core, several major injuries and a bizarre NHL season all around and this is what you get. I'd give him another year and say "get it done now or else".

Old
04-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Chimp

It becomes evident how much this team is suffering from not having a legit top line. We would never have looked as flat with Straka - Nylander - Jagr anchoring the attack. I mean, we've had Eric frigging Christensen as our top center for most of the season. Secondary scoring is fine and dandy, but when all scoring is secondary, you will not have more than a mediocre offense.

And Gaborik? He doesn't have enough offensive and he must be injured. I don't know how else he can have such a dreadful season.

Old
04-08-2011, 08:11 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

torts must go.

not buying even for one second the lack of talent argument any more. he needed to win 2 games against the worst 2 teams in the league and failed. thats not about talent. thats about heart and preparation and he fails in both. he is judged on his results on ice.

his teams have been consistently outplayed and outworked in first periods all season and especially down the stretch. his teams are unprepared and tight. they are a mess to start games. that comes from what happens in the lockerroom right before games. thats torts time and it isnt working. his results show it.

results= fail to make playoffs 2 yrs in a row. please consider this for a moment.

we lost to the piles and the trash. i still cant believe that. those 2 losses in crucial games against crap teams cost a playoff spot. this is on him.

2 years in a row. i blame torts the clown. he has failed.

he hates gaby and gaby hates him. wait till one of them leaves and im sure we will hear all about it.

torts engineered another late season collapse. 2 years in a row. this guy is the coach and the buck stops with him.

oh, and that middle of the pack draft pick will be terrific again this year.

new coach. new attitude. his time is up.

torts the clown. fire his ass.

Old
04-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Chimp

Considering Renney was fired for risking to miss the playoffs for the first time in x years, an argument could easily be made firing Torts for missing two straight years in a row.

Then again, the team is young and does lack talent, especially offensive talent.

Old
04-08-2011, 08:55 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
The guy has nothing close to a top center and his best ace took a crap this year. You realize how young our blueline is? No backup goalie again? Yet we are still right there. Take away Hank and Torts we are looking foward to the draft rather than a big game vs the Debbies.

Hey don't forget his 7 mil captain who has an amazing 0 goals this year. To me he turned a pile of poop into a gold nugget.
Right on! You have two $6+M players scoring a total of zero goals. Add in Gaborik's worst season in memory and the 3 highest payed players have contributed close to nothing. No NHL team can win with that formula. Torts has done a great job with the rest of this team. If we had a 1st line, we'd be a top 6 team in the East and able to beat anyone.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:12 AM
wtbipyo

Pens fan coming in peace. Torts just has too much ego. You guys have a great young nucleus, and it is a shame to see him unable to handle them. As much as I dislike Dubinsky, he's a quality hockey player. Callahan, Staal, and several others are a solid core group, but you need a coach who can bring them together...unlike Torts.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:16 AM
NYRKindms

The safe is death mentality went right out the window pretty much as soon as he took the helm. He has been out coached in numerous games throughout the year and we now have basically come full circle. We have essentially been playing Renney type Hockey for several months to try and get in.

It would seem that bringing in Torts has done nothing. We are basically exactly where we were last year with the exception that last year we win and get in, now it is a toss up.

The team cannot score goals, the powerplay has been atrocious for years now. The constant line juggling etc. None of the coachable aspects of the game have seem to improve at all. The constant trouble with fast teams that Torts seems to have no ability to adapt to.

Not all on him for sure but he is a big part of

Old
04-08-2011, 09:16 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
torts must go.

not buying even for one second the lack of talent argument any more. he needed to win 2 games against the worst 2 teams in the league and failed. thats not about talent. thats about heart and preparation and he fails in both. he is judged on his results on ice.

his teams have been consistently outplayed and outworked in first periods all season and especially down the stretch. his teams are unprepared and tight. they are a mess to start games. that comes from what happens in the lockerroom right before games. thats torts time and it isnt working. his results show it.

results= fail to make playoffs 2 yrs in a row. please consider this for a moment.

we lost to the piles and the trash. i still cant believe that. those 2 losses in crucial games against crap teams cost a playoff spot. this is on him.

he hates gaby and gaby hates him. wait till one of them leaves and im sure we will hear all about it.

torts engineered another late season collapse. 2 years in a row. this guy is the coach and the buck stops with him.

But, but....he developed Lecavalier , MSL, Boyle and Richards into the players they are today!

He has arguably a better all around team than Renney and is failing to make the playoffs. I think his macho BS in the locker room and practice have the boys playing tight.

I say enough with the excuses and send his a$$ back to the studio. Some are complaining about the point system in the NHL as if we're the only team burdened by having to play 82 games in a league where more than half the teams make the show. This is on the coach John Adams

I mean really....some people were talking about Adams trophy. How retarded is that? No defense too young excuses - they have played out of their minds

Old
04-08-2011, 09:28 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
torts must go.

SOunds more to me like a lack of vets who by now would know how to come out right. Which is why we won most games this year and barely lost about every game. No vet presence this year whatsoever except Dubs cally staal girardi and prust. That's about one veteran line and pair that showed up and we did this well? I can't be too mad at the coach even though yes he still needs to fix a lot of problems. All home grown guys performed while outsiders sucked even if they've been here for several years.(I don't count 2nd year guys like Artie as vets and Boyle has barely been in the leaguye despite his age).

Old
04-08-2011, 09:29 AM
94now

Tortorella is a wrong coach for the wrong team at wrong time. Sather made a mistake. It has to be corrected. It is not Torts fault, yet he must go.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Jim Morrison

Nah, I'd give him another year. If Richards sign we'll finally have a 1a center. Then forget about just making the playoffs - i'd expect to be a contender. If he doesn't pull that off, I want him gone.

Besides, Torts could be a reason Richards would even sign here, ha.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Sign Richards then dump torts.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Lots of good points made here on both sides of the argument. Literally, I find myself being swayed from post to post.

Today, I just feel like odc has it right though. Last night was as unforgivable as the Islander game. The group on the ice was clearly lost. Those are the times where the coach goes out and earns his money as a leader, instructor and motivator. I'm not sure I advocate firing the coach, but, ya know, let's point the finger squarely at the person it should be pointed at here.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
Pens fan coming in peace. Torts just has too much ego. You guys have a great young nucleus, and it is a shame to see him unable to handle them. As much as I dislike Dubinsky, he's a quality hockey player. Callahan, Staal, and several others are a solid core group, but you need a coach who can bring them together...unlike Torts.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
But, but....he developed Lecavalier , MSL, Boyle and Richards into the players they are today!

He has arguably a better all around team than Renney and is failing to make the playoffs. I think his macho BS in the locker room and practice have the boys playing tight.

I say enough with the excuses and send his a$$ back to the studio. Some are complaining about the point system in the NHL as if we're the only team burdened by having to play 82 games in a league where more than half the teams make the show. This is on the coach John Adams

I mean really....some people were talking about Adams trophy. How retarded is that? No defense too young excuses - they have played out of their minds
That's a joke right? The 05-06 and 06-07 teams had Jagr-Straka-Nylander putting up 75+ points with Jagr leading the way with 123 in '05 and 96 in '06. Plus guys like Rucinsky (who had 55 points in '05) and Prucha of course who had 30 goals. Then in '07, Renney's last full season, you still had Jagr AND Gomez put up 70+ points, Drury put up 58, and Shanny score 23 goals.

These last 2 years under Torts the LEADING scorer on the team had less points the third and fourth leading scorer on Renney's teams.

As far as defense goes, I will give Torts teams the edge, but not by much- especially this year.

As far as goaltending goes, we have the SAME goaltender as we did under Renney obviously.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Firing Torst does nothing positive

Sather has got to go.

Seriously considering giving up season tix.

What a miserable tenure.

04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Today, I just feel like odc has it right though. Last night was as unforgivable as the Islander game. The group on the ice was clearly lost. Those are the times where the coach goes out and earns his money as a leader, instructor and motivator. I'm not sure I advocate firing the coach, but, ya know, let's point the finger squarely at the person it should be pointed at here.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Sign Richards then dump torts.
You do realize one of the only reasons Richards would sign with the Rangers is Torts right? ,lol

Listen guys this blows, it tears up my heart........and I am serious especially if this happens 2 yrs in a row

In the end the team would be better off getting playoff experience but I am still exited about next yr especially them being a yr old and maybe Richards being the #1 C

Old
04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
As far as goaltending goes, we have the SAME goaltender as we did under Renney obviously.
Renney never had such a good Lundqvist. This season is Hank's best.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:08 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I laugh at this thread. Who's on this team? What first line players does this team have? Gaborik who was hurt half the year? Let's be honest, any other player on this team would be 2nd liner or less on another team. We have one first liner. Tons of 1st and 2nd year guys who aren't fully developed. No superstars. People want to always blame the coach when the team just isn't that great.

We've had a lot of players who came out this year to become impact players. We have a rookie scoring over 20 goals. We have a guy who's never scored more than 4 goals at the NHL level at 21. Dubinsky & Cally both over 20. We have 2 rookies on our second pairing of D with the highest +/- on the team. What do people want? It's not Tortorella's fault that he has Chris Drury sucking up cap space.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Stepanformayor*

I don't believe for a minute Gaborik is hurt. He lacks gut's. He always has. He will never see 40 goals again in his career and quite possibly maybe never 30 again.. He's so far from an elite player in this leauge it's pathetic. He can't even make simple plays anymore.

Closed Thread