HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Discussion (Update: Torts extended 3 years)

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Torts stays, he's doing a fine job developing the young talent.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:19 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I laugh at this thread. Who's on this team? What first line players does this team have? Gaborik who was hurt half the year? Let's be honest, any other player on this team would be 2nd liner or less on another team. We have one first liner. Tons of 1st and 2nd year guys who aren't fully developed. No superstars. People want to always blame the coach when the team just isn't that great.

We've had a lot of players who came out this year to become impact players. We have a rookie scoring over 20 goals. We have a guy who's never scored more than 4 goals at the NHL level at 21. Dubinsky & Cally both over 20. We have 2 rookies on our second pairing of D with the highest +/- on the team. What do people want? It's not Tortorella's fault that he has Chris Drury sucking up cap space.
yeah but come on.

this team is always, and i mean always, unprepared.

when was the last time they dominated a game start to finish. the phily game perhaps.... and in the middle of a playoff race for their existence they come out

flat
unprepared
uninspired
lacking cohension

almost like they dont care. and believe me they know we know. look at prospals comments. hes mad at the boos yet he acts like they play in a vaccuum.

not buying it. this team may have been hamstrung by injures and the cally thing put them on their heals for sure, and i agree it hurts not having a true impact pivot, but it comes down to this.

they needed to beat the piles and the trash to make the playoffs. period.

they didnt and they looked horrible in losing.

unforgivable and it should cost torts his job.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:19 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

We simply don't have any bona fide offensive threats that make another team worry. This team constantly has no space on the ice because the other team isn't worried about much of anything/anyone. Gaborik was one of those guys, but this year he can't seem to create any space whatsoever. Bring on Thomas, MZA, and Richards. I don't care if Scotty Bowman is coaching this squad, it simply isn't talented enough to go deep and if you want to blame anyone then cast your eyes toward that fat cigar smokin' pimp with the wry smile.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
We simply don't have any bona fide offensive threats that make another team worry. This team constantly has no space on the ice because the other team isn't worried about much of anything/anyone. Gaborik was one of those guys, but this year he can't seem to create any space whatsoever. Bring on Thomas, MZA, and Richards. I don't care if Scotty Bowman is coaching this squad, it simply isn't talented enough to go deep and if you want to blame anyone then cast your eyes toward that fat cigar smokin' pimp with the wry smile.
Agreed. This is a squad of 20-25 goal scorers which means they're only scoring in about 15 games or so. The problem is, they're like women all going on the rag together. They're either all hot or all cold. No in between. The Rangers blew their nut 2 weeks ago when they were scoring. As I said in the Boston GDT, the rebuild is over. The team has enough of a talented core to get them into the playoffs (or just about hehe) and an exciting pipline that should start paying dividends real soon. It's time to start making moves that will help the Rangers now/today. It's time to start Phase II, imo. And I don't think Sather is the man for that job.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:33 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
yeah but come on.

this team is always, and i mean always, unprepared.

when was the last time they dominated a game start to finish. the phily game perhaps.... and in the middle of a playoff race for their existence they come out

flat
unprepared
uninspired
lacking cohension

almost like they dont care. and believe me they know we know. look at prospals comments. hes mad at the boos yet he acts like they play in a vaccuum.

not buying it. this team may have been hamstrung by injures and the cally thing put them on their heals for sure, and i agree it hurts not having a true impact pivot, but it comes down to this.

they needed to beat the piles and the trash to make the playoffs. period.

they didnt and they looked horrible in losing.

unforgivable and it should cost torts his job.
A few weeks ago the Rangers destroyed my Habs in the first period, and I had them as a real dark horse for a deep run in the playoffs...and now this? Seems like the Rangers are struggling for a consistant effort, and yes the coaching has to take some of that heat...I feel the same way about the Habs, Martin just doesn't seem to have the team prepared some nights....hang in there guys, still a chance to get in...

Old
04-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Agreed. This is a squad of 20-25 goal scorers which means they're only scoring in about 15 games or so. The problem is, they're like women all going on the rag together. They're either all hot or all cold. No in between. The Rangers blew their nut 2 weeks ago when they were scoring. As I said in the Boston GDT, the rebuild is over. The team has enough of a talented core to get them into the playoffs (or just about hehe) and an exciting pipline that should start paying dividends real soon. It's time to start making moves that will help the Rangers now/today. It's time to start Phase II, imo. And I don't think Sather is the man for that job.
a very astute, albeit a little crude, post. pretty much agree. we have far too many useless parts taking up HUGE amounts of cap space or salary thanks to Sather. Drury, Redden, Boogaard, to a lesser extent Christensen, Gilroy, Eminger, etc.

I'm 99.99% sure Gabby will rebound next season, of that I have no doubts whatsoever, but we have to play this offseason smart. Im tired of the Rangers spending huge amounts of money on parts that can be found internally. you spend your money on things you can't do from the inside. Rangers could find a goon to beat ppl up for a cap minimum hit in like any ECHL team...if all you need is a fighter who is useless at hockey, we had MUCH better alternatives...granted i think the day of the goon is over.

Honestly here's how I would want next seasons team to look like.

Find a way to trade for Alexander Semin and sign him to a contract extension.

Sign Brad Richards.

bring back the important RFAs.

THATS IT.

nothing more.

How would next seasons team look like?

Semin - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - AA - Cally
Kreider - Stepan - MZA
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

Girardi - Staal
MCD - Sauer
MDZ - Valentenko/Kundratek

Im sure it would take Mcilrath, Grachev, a first + to get Semin, but you need those superstars to make it happen...is Semin a superstar? No, but he would look mighty good on Richards' flank.

The team gets younger, once again, it gets more skilled, and you bring in parts you need to succeed while still maintaining the identity of the team.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
94now

Quote:
This would be an okay argument on why we are not a contender. This not a good reasoning on why we lost last night and fail to make the playoffs.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
nope. not buying it.

i agree they arent built to win the cup. but the forecheck first and counterattack [trap] and rely on your goalie to win games system torts employs is perfect to win a series or even two in the playoffs.

the problem is they could not win against 2 dregs at the end of the season. thats not a talent issue against those 2 teams, that a disconnect between preperation and execution and the steaming pile of **** they left on the ice in those 2 losses.

again, our offensive goal scoring talent is lacking but those 2 losses were not about talent. they were about failure to step up against 2 teams out of the playoffs.

the piles flat out blow and the trash average like 4 goals against and they shut us out.

i blame the coaching staff for that.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:46 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm sorry, I do not want any soft stars anymore. The last time this team won the Cup, its top forward was a mean SOB who could win games by himself. Find me someone who plays like Messier, don't get me some soft player who disappears when you need him and floats around waiting for the puck.

There is a reason why everyone loved guys like Messier and Graves. We have Dubinsky and Callahan who play with that edge and everyone loves them. Unfortunately they don't have anywhere near the talent of a Messier. Get me a star who's a tough mofo. No more Gaboriks, no more Gomezs, come on.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm sorry, I do not want any soft stars anymore. The last time this team won the Cup, its top forward was a mean SOB who could win games by himself. Find me someone who plays like Messier, don't get me some soft player who disappears when you need him and floats around waiting for the puck.

There is a reason why everyone loved guys like Messier and Graves. We have Dubinsky and Callahan who play with that edge and everyone loves them. Unfortunately they don't have anywhere near the talent of a Messier. Get me a star who's a tough mofo. No more Gaboriks, no more Gomezs, come on.
all the tough mofo stars, like Perry, Getzlaf, or whatever modern day lindros you want to talk about, arent available. so that's out the window.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:53 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:

You're going to love the Brad Richards experience...

Old
04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i guess another option would be to see what it would take to get Evander Kane out of Atlanta...but i would wager it would be quite a bit.

Or Dustin Brown out of Los Angeles.

I would be ok with either, but hte pricetag would be high.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:59 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
all the tough mofo stars, like Perry, Getzlaf, or whatever modern day lindros you want to talk about, arent available. so that's out the window.
So instead let's get a softy who is going to disappear when the real hockey starts in April?

Old
04-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Renney never had such a good Lundqvist. This season is Hank's best.
Agreed, but Torts has had nowhere near the offensive production Renney had.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:04 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Getzlaf was available in the 2003 draft. haha

:

Old
04-08-2011, 11:13 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Agreed, but Torts has had nowhere near the offensive production Renney had.
You don't need an offensive talent to beat ATL and/or NYI.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Sather is terrible

Sather blows.

The entire state of things rests solely at his feet.

Torts has his idiosyncrasies but he's as much a victim as Hank.

Sather cannot get off the hook any longer.

I urge everyone to express this to MSG/Cablevision through every means available: Twitter, Facebook, blogs etc.

Companies are paying attention to feedback trending on social media. Use it!

04-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
You don't need an offensive talent to beat ATL and/or NYI.
Yeah but you need to score more than two goals combined against those teams. I'm not sure how Torts is responsible for the lack of goals.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

This team has already overachieved. I never expected them to be contending for the playoffs anyway.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:20 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Sather blows.

The entire state of things rests solely at his feet.

Torts has his idiosyncrasies but he's as much a victim as Hank.

Sather cannot get off the hook any longer.

I urge everyone to express this to MSG/Cablevision through every means available: Twitter, Facebook, blogs etc.

Companies are paying attention to feedback trending on social media. Use it!
seriously, if a "Fire Sather" rally outside the building doesnt send the message i dont know what does.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Melrose_Jr.

We can debate the perceived talent level of the team all we want, but it's not really the heart of the matter. It's one thing to lose and give it your best shot. It's another to not show up at all and simply get manhandled....when you're fighting for your playoff lives.....on Steven McDonald night.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
We can debate the perceived talent level of the team all we want, but it's not really the heart of the matter. It's one thing to lose and give it your best shot. It's another to not show up at all and simply get manhandled....when you're fighting for your playoff lives.....on Steven McDonald night.
im not a believer in firing a coach over 1 game.

im also not a believer in putting the onus on the coach for "Getting his team up" to play a game like last nights. if the team couldnt get up for that important of a game without the coaches involvement, then we have some serious underlying issues.

they had a bad game at a very bad time of the year. i dont think theres anything else to it than that. teams have had bad games in deciding stanley cup games...it happens.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
seriously, if a "Fire Sather" rally outside the building doesnt send the message i dont know what does.
In reality it wasn't much of a "rally", and I'm not knocking the people who did it.

But these days an online "protest" is much more insidious and apt to get attention.

I'll be tweeting daily.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

only way to make it happen is to hit em where it hurts them most....ticket revenue. fans stop showing up, he'll do something about it. but it wont happen. not ever. Sather has as long as he wants to be on this team.

with that said, i still think were heading in the right direction, and arent too far off from being an eastern conference contender.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:41 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
nope. not buying it.

i agree they arent built to win the cup. but the forecheck first and counterattack [trap] and rely on your goalie to win games system torts employs is perfect to win a series or even two in the playoffs.

the problem is they could not win against 2 dregs at the end of the season. thats not a talent issue against those 2 teams, that a disconnect between preperation and execution and the steaming pile of **** they left on the ice in those 2 losses.

again, our offensive goal scoring talent is lacking but those 2 losses were not about talent. they were about failure to step up against 2 teams out of the playoffs.

the piles flat out blow and the trash average like 4 goals against and they shut us out.

i blame the coaching staff for that.
Nah. The coaches prepare the same way (for the most part) for every game. This one is on the players. The coach(es) aren't motivators, they are teachers. It's ALL ON THE PLAYERS for not being motivated, inspired, or just plain willing to work hard enough to get it done last night. And I don't want to hear how ****** Atlanta is. They've beaten the Caps four times this season and it deflects responsibility from where it should really lie - on the players. They knew what was at stake and played nervous-conservative hockey which will win you nothing. Can't blame Torts for this. The only player who really showed up last night was Prust.

Closed Thread