HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My take on the Sens next year

Old
03-04-2011, 07:46 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 500
^ Lando's cap hit is going to be closer to $3M if we're drafting him top-three.

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:26 PM
wilfred

Try something different: Murray said he was going to try and bring in a Winger for Spezza.

To Ott
Parise

To NJD
Karlsson- NJD need a power play quarterback
Z Smith- seems like a NJD type a guy can play any position in the bottom 6
Nash 1st - top 15 pick right now

If Ottawa decides to draft Landeskog then swich Smith with Foligno.

Zach Parise ($6.500m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Milan Michalek ($4.333m)
Nick Foligno ($1.200m) / Sean Couturier ($3.000m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.875m)
Jakob Silfverberg ($0.900m)/ Peter Regin ($1.000m) / Bobby Butler ($0.900m)
Colin Greening ($0.850m)/ Jesse Winchester ($0.750m) / Chris Neil ($2.000m)

Chris Phillips ($3.083m) / Brian Lee ($0.875m)
Jared Cowen ($1.295m) / Sergei Gonchar ($5.500m)
Filip Kuba ($3.700m) / David Rundblad ($1.500m)
Matt Carkner ($0.700m)

Craig Anderson ($3.500m)
???? ($0.800m)

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
Try something different: Murray said he was going to try and bring in a Winger for Spezza.

To Ott
Parise

To NJD
Karlsson- NJD need a power play quarterback
Z Smith- seems like a NJD type a guy can play any position in the bottom 6
Nash 1st - top 15 pick right now

If Ottawa decides to draft Landeskog then swich Smith with Foligno.
No. Don't even bother with this.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

We're not trading Karlsson in the next decade or so.

Jared Cowen 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:37 AM
wilfred

for a top 3 Winger that can play with Spezza I think they would

Old
03-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Jared Cowen 2010

Quote:
for a top 3 Winger that can play with Spezza I think they would
I don't think that they would, unless it's a young fracnchise winger. We're in a rebuild and Murray himself said Karlsson is untouchable. They're looking to build around him on the blueline.

Jared Cowen 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:50 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Gagne has done nothing to deserve more than 1 year and more than 2mil. Hell, if you based your decision solely off of last year (as I'm sure MANY GMs will do) he doesn't even deserve an NHL contract.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:54 AM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Gagne has done nothing to deserve more than 1 year and more than 2mil. Hell, if you based your decision solely off of last year (as I'm sure MANY GMs will do) he doesn't even deserve an NHL contract.
I agree which makes you think now might be a good time to throw him an offer. He had a NTC with Philly and was pretty picky about where he went. I doubt Ottawa would be his first choice but I am thinking he won't have many suitors this time around. I would toss an incentive laden contract at him that increases with games player and performance bonuses.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:54 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Cowen 2010 View Post
I don't think that they would, unless it's a young fracnchise winger. We're in a rebuild and Murray himself said Karlsson is untouchable. They're looking to build around him on the blueline.
If we draft Larsson, my one desire is that we try to package Karlsson for Parise. Thats the only semi-realistic deal I'd trade Karlsson for. Parise will cost a lot, although knowing Lou he can get around it... but Karlsson is exactly what they need. I'd try Karlsson+Michalek for Parise and something. Not sure what.

Old
03-05-2011, 10:56 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
I agree which makes you think now might be a good time to throw him an offer. He had a NTC with Philly and was pretty picky about where he went. I doubt Ottawa would be his first choice but I am thinking he won't have many suitors this time around. I would toss an incentive laden contract at him that increases with games player and performance bonuses.
From Melnyks perspective, Gagne isn't worth it unless you can get him on a Tanguay with Tampa kind of contract IMO. He's been awful defensively and offensively. I think he's the most scored against forward in the league/minute, or something. Something similar to that.

Old
03-05-2011, 11:42 AM
JMac13

Quote:
Ummm what about Parise doesn't say young, franchise winger???

JMac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:32 PM
wilfred

Quote:
Have you ever seen Parise play, personally I think Ottawa would have to give up more but can't afford it.

Karlsson and Michalek I would do in a heartbeat, Larsson or not.

As for who to draft with our 1st I will leave it up to the the Sens Organization, I will be happy with any of the top 4.

Old
03-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac13 View Post
Ummm what about Parise doesn't say young, franchise winger???
Parise would be a great piece to add to the rebuilding Sens no doubt about it.

Still, Karlsson, Smith and a first is a heavy price to pay even for Zack Parise.

IMO the only way a deal of this manitude happens is if the Sens braintrust believes adding Parise, Couturier/RNH, Cowen, Runblad etc, would make them serious contenders no later than 2012/13.

Otherwise, it probably only hurts the rebuild by leaving the Sens in that awful position of being competitive, but not really good enough.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:45 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Have you ever seen Parise play, personally I think Ottawa would have to give up more but can't afford it.

Karlsson and Michalek I would do in a heartbeat, Larsson or not.

As for who to draft with our 1st I will leave it up to the the Sens Organization, I will be happy with any of the top 4.
Yeah I probably would too, I just like to have us picking Larsson in the scenario

Old
03-05-2011, 01:05 PM
wilfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Parise would be a great piece to add to the rebuilding Sens no doubt about it.

Still, Karlsson, Smith and a first is a heavy price to pay even for Zack Parise.

IMO the only way a deal of this manitude happens is if the Sens braintrust believes adding Parise, Couturier/RNH, Cowen, Runblad etc, would make them serious contenders no later than 2012/13.

Otherwise, it probably only hurts the rebuild by leaving the Sens in that awful position of being competitive, but not really good enough.
Well at the worst it would show that the Sens are interested in winning sooner then later. It might also attract some UFA's here in the next couple of years.

Old
03-05-2011, 01:15 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Way to early for that. Say for example, Karlsson, Cowen and Rundblad turn out to be studs, once there ELC runs out there could be some decisions to be made.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Well at the worst it would show that the Sens are interested in winning sooner then later. It might also attract some UFA's here in the next couple of years.
Maybe, but it will take the youth a few years to develop, and until the kids are really solid NHL performers, signing overpaid UFAs is definitely not the way to go IMO.

Old
03-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Way to early for that. Say for example, Karlsson, Cowen and Rundblad turn out to be studs, once there ELC runs out there could be some decisions to be made.
I agree, the time for trades and possibly UFAs is when the kids show they have to potential to carry the team and be very competitive.

To add high priced help while the kids are learning probably hurts the rebuild more than helps.

Old
03-05-2011, 01:53 PM
wilfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I agree, the time for trades and possibly UFAs is when the kids show they have to potential to carry the team and be very competitive.

To add high priced help while the kids are learning probably hurts the rebuild more than helps.
IMO Ottawa will go 1 of 3 ways:

1) Keep Spezza and find him a goal scoring winger to play with.

2) Trade Spezza for some young talent and do a full rebuild properly.

3) Keep Spezza and build through the draft over the next couple of years. Not the same picks that we could get if Spezza wasn't here, but still descent picks. Hope Spezza becomes the leader that this team needs going forward.

Personally I would do #2 (assuming Ottawa could make a trade for Brassard or Voracek or something similar)

I would not mind #1

I think that Ottawa will probably do #3 my least favorite

Personally

Old
03-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
IMO Ottawa will go 1 of 3 ways:

1) Keep Spezza and find him a goal scoring winger to play with.

2) Trade Spezza for some young talent and do a full rebuild properly.

3) Keep Spezza and build through the draft over the next couple of years. Not the same picks that we could get if Spezza wasn't here, but still descent picks. Hope Spezza becomes the leader that this team needs going forward.

Personally I would do #2 (assuming Ottawa could make a trade for Brassard or Voracek or something similar)

I would not mind #1

I think that Ottawa will probably do #3 my least favorite

Personally
We have done a FULL REBUILD we got rid of most of the team. We now have what 4 players that we went to the final with. What team literally trades every veteran player they have?

Spezza is signed for many more seasons, he is oft injured but still in his prime. We can not trade him. We have got rid of everyone we could get rid of.

What we need to do IMO is sign or trade for a TOP ECHLON player, if any are available. If there is someone available this year, sign or trade for them. If it is next year or the year after then do it then. Guys like Brad Richards. I doubt we get him but if we can we should. We need top echlon talent. We have a cheap roster and can afford to sign expensive talent. No second liners or whatever. We can fill those needs through prospects and young players. We retool with top talent whenever we can get some, not trade Spezza or Karlsson for gods sake, which some have suggested.

We see how good Butler, Rundblad, Cowen, Silvfenberg, this year's top pick are and make the decision when to fill out the roster with veterans, 2nd tier talents in order to win. We add top talent to the mix whenever we can like resigning Anderson.

We don't want to get rid of EVERYONE like Spezza or we will be rebuilding forever. You need some framework to build into. Or you are like Edmonton with only kids. Or like Florida with nothing, as soon as anyone becomes decent they leave.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 04:29 PM
wilfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
We have done a FULL REBUILD we got rid of most of the team. We now have what 4 players that we went to the final with. What team literally trades every veteran player they have?

Spezza is signed for many more seasons, he is oft injured but still in his prime. We can not trade him. We have got rid of everyone we could get rid of.

What we need to do IMO is sign or trade for a TOP ECHLON player, if any are available. If there is someone available this year, sign or trade for them. If it is next year or the year after then do it then. Guys like Brad Richards. I doubt we get him but if we can we should. We need top echlon talent. We have a cheap roster and can afford to sign expensive talent. No second liners or whatever. We can fill those needs through prospects and young players. We retool with top talent whenever we can get some, not trade Spezza or Karlsson for gods sake, which some have suggested.

We see how good Butler, Rundblad, Cowen, Silvfenberg, this year's top pick are and make the decision when to fill out the roster with veterans, 2nd tier talents in order to win. We add top talent to the mix whenever we can like resigning Anderson.

We don't want to get rid of EVERYONE like Spezza or we will be rebuilding forever. You need some framework to build into. Or you are like Edmonton with only kids. Or like Florida with nothing, as soon as anyone becomes decent they leave.
1st I agree that Ottawa probably could not trade Spezza.

2nd If you want top line talent you have to draft it or trade for it, UFA's will be tough to sign for the next few years. If you think you can get a top line player without giving up anything, think again. Drafting a superstar you will either need to get lucky or have the first overall pick for the next couple of years.

3rd for every Florida there are Pittsburg or Chicago.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:09 PM
senswon

Wilfred, bro.......just let it go dude

senswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Ok so...here's the second part of what I was talking about. I'll update the first post with it.

People think that we've embraced a full rebuild, but realistically who did we lose that would really make people think this is a 'full rebuild'? We dropped Fisher and Kelly. Other than that we upgraded on Elliott with Anderson, and have had some pretty bad injuries throughout the season that make our team look worse than it is.

However, my second theory is that the team is fully embracing a 'true rebuild' type scenario. In this case we'll be making some moves in the off season to acquire young talented guys, and maybe move up with our draft picks. Nashville is currently missing the playoffs which gives us hope for a good move with the draft pick they hold.

Landeskog - Spezza - Butler
Michalek - Strome - Alfredsson
Silfverberg - Regin - Shannon
Greening - Smith - Neil

Phillips - Lee
Gonchar - Karlsson
Kuba - Rundblad

Brust (Lehner?)
Brodeur

This is my take without us signing any free agents over the off-season because it wouldn't be necessary with the direction the team would be taking. The chances of us making the playoffs with that team seem pretty slim to me, and could very well be another candidate for a lower 5 team (maybe even close to #1 again? Fail for Nail?)

In this case we are looking at longer time before we hit the playoffs, and are looking to draft a couple more superstars.

I think the first scenario is more likely.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Derivation

Quote:
Who knows the Flames traded Phaneuf his 5th season with Calgary and he was slated to be the franchise after Iggy retired more or less. I think if the market is right, and if Rundblad excels Karlsson in every department it could make him expendable by 2013 or so.

Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:22 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by senswon View Post
Wilfred, bro.......just let it go dude
Let go Wilfred, he is entertaining

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote