HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie Equipment

Old
03-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Cp31*

vCash: 500
Goalie Equipment

Hey guys, I'm considering playing hockey again after about 6 years away from the game. Nothing serious, just beer league or whatever you would call it. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys had any advice when it comes to goalie equipment, in terms of brands you've had a good experience with, where to buy, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cp31* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Skarjak

I'm in the process of shopping around for goalie equipment myself, but one piece of advice I've received is to not skimp on the goalie mask. It's the most important piece of equipment really, and the cheap masks offer little protection. You don't want a concussion to impact your life.

I'm about to buy a Hackva mask. http://www.hackva.com/about.php

Everyone refers to it as an absolute steal for the price. Seems to be the best "budget" mask around. Still roughly 350$ new, but if you shop around, you may find it for 200$ used.

I would suggest you register to this forum: http://www.goaliestore.com/board/index.php

Lots of good advice there.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Brodeur

If you're not picky about colors, I'd definitely check out a Play it Again if you have any local to you. Never know what you'll find. A few months back, I found a pair of Vaughn Velocity pads for $60 in good shape....and those pads probably retailed for $1100 five years ago.

The clearance section of goaliemonkey.com usually has some decent stuff if you prefer new gear. Mostly depends on your price range.

In terms of brands, a lot of it will come down to personal preference. Over the holidays, I picked up a new set of Warrior Swagger pads. The combo in store was on clearance for like $570, then I got an extra 30% off on top of that. Pad is pretty good quality (especially at that price). The glove is decent, already more broken in than the Vaughn 7400 glove I bought in 2009.

http://goaliemonkey.com/warrior-goal...wagger-sr.html

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Cp31*

Thanks guys, I'll check it out

Cp31* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Gervess
@Gervess

Hi, I have already worn RBK 8K pads and I was happy with those, I had them for two seasons and they're still in good shape it's just that I've grown a bit so they are too small now. After these I went on Bauer RX-7 it's the 2nd year that I have them and I really like them. I pkay in a competitive league so I'm on the ice about 4-5 times a week and they are durable except that the Bauer would probably good for another season and the RBK for another 2 seasons of this caliber of hockey. The cost about 600$ to 700$ so it's not too expensive and I'm sure that if you take care of your equipement they could tuff about 4 years of beer league. For the gloves I would not recommand you the Bauer RX-7 catcher because I don't like the protection inside your palm and finger, but for the blocker it's a go, I really like the Bauer RX-7 blocker. For the skates I would recommend you a any kind of Bauer pair. For the chest I really like the Vaughn 8800. The pants I would say RBK pants. Hope it will help you a little bit.

Gervess is offline   Reply With Quote