HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate/Foot problem

Old
12-17-2011, 03:19 AM
Shanahanigans

vCash: 500
Skate/Foot problem

So I finally went to an outdoor rink for the first time this season. But whenever I have my skates on, it really hurts the bone right to the left of my left big toe, or the bone to the right of my right big toe. The bone is kind of round, don't know if you guys know which one I'm talking about. Am I doing anything wrong? I tried everything, loosening it, tightening it, tightening certain parts, but it seems to pressure it each time and it hurts a lot. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:50 AM
ArrogantOwl

Does it happen on indoor rinks? Your description is very confusing so you should reword it.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:56 AM
Shanahanigans

Yeah, it does happen, doesn't matter where I'm skating. I don't know if the width of the skate is too small, but I doubt it, I have pretty thin feet. Its the roundish bone at the base of the big toe, I feel a lot of pressure there when I tighten my skates, and it hurts pretty bad.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:25 AM
wahsnairb

what brand and model of skate do you wear? ccm by chance?

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Doughnuts08

Have you actually tried measuring your foot to see what width you should be? Here's two links to show how to measure your foot, and what width you will need based on the measurements. (This link is for your actual shoe size, not skate size since your skates are around 1.5 sizes lower than skates, so make sure to use your shoe size when using those links)

http://shoes.about.com/od/mens_size_.../men_width.htm

http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/ss/measurefeet.htm

Doughnuts08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:40 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
One thing that might help is loosening up the laces on the first 2 or 3 eyelets starting at your toes. Have them snug enough so your feet aren't swimming but loose enough so there's no extra pressure on those bones.

I have really wide feet compared to the length so I can't really find skates that are the right length and width without going custom. I just leave the first eyelets a bit loose on my retail CCM's so my toes have a little room.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:47 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ3 View Post
Have you actually tried measuring your foot to see what width you should be? Here's two links to show how to measure your foot, and what width you will need based on the measurements. (This link is for your actual shoe size, not skate size since your skates are around 1.5 sizes lower than skates, so make sure to use your shoe size when using those links)

http://shoes.about.com/od/mens_size_.../men_width.htm

http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/ss/measurefeet.htm
First of all, no that sizing is wrong. You can't just give him a number, shoe size varies for everyone. Some like it a bit bigger, some like it perfectly.

Second of all, why give him a site to find his shoe size? It's irrelevant. He's not complaining about length...

to the OP : Try wearing a thin sock. If that doesn't help, then the problem is that the forefoot/toebox area is too narrow. If the problem spot is in the toebox area, then there isn't anything that can be done. If the problem spot is within the boot, then take them to a shop to get that spot punched out (create an indent).

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Doughnuts08

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
First of all, no that sizing is wrong. You can't just give him a number, shoe size varies for everyone. Some like it a bit bigger, some like it perfectly.

Second of all, why give him a site to find his shoe size? It's irrelevant. He's not complaining about length...

to the OP : Try wearing a thin sock. If that doesn't help, then the problem is that the forefoot/toebox area is too narrow. If the problem spot is in the toebox area, then there isn't anything that can be done. If the problem spot is within the boot, then take them to a shop to get that spot punched out (create an indent).
Click on the link before commenting, and try to understand the context of the subject. The link doesnt show him his shoe size, it shows him that depending on what shoe size he is, what width corresponds to a C, D, E, or EE width.

Doughnuts08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:00 AM
AIREAYE

Every skate's widths are different. You can't go on there and determine that he's an E width and that means that every E width skate is going to fit.

I hate to play this card but I will anyways : I've had some experience fitting people for skates, it's my job. I know what I'm talking about and believe me when I say that you really shouldn't be using 'sizing charts' because every person's feet are different. The OP lives in Canada, there's no reason why he couldn't get properly fitted in a store. If he didn't have shops near him though obviously it would be more difficult and people resort to sizing charts; doesn't mean they'll get the correct skate for them.

I measured my supposed width on there, it says I'm an E width in a 9.5 shoe. I wear wider footed S15s in a Wide width...However if I wear shoes that fit a bit bigger, I'd be a D width, see the problem?

Last edited by AIREAYE: 12-18-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old
12-18-2011, 11:24 AM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Every skate's widths are different. You can't go on there and determine that he's an E width and that means that every E width skate is going to fit.

I hate to play this card but I will anyways : I've had some experience fitting people for skates, it's my job. I know what I'm talking about and believe me when I say that you really shouldn't be using 'sizing charts' because every person's feet are different. The OP lives in Canada, there's no reason why he couldn't get properly fitted in a store. If he didn't have shops near him though obviously it would be more difficult and people resort to sizing charts; doesn't mean they'll get the correct skate for them.

I measured my supposed width on there, it says I'm an E width in a 9.5 shoe. I wear wider footed S15s in a Wide width...However if I wear shoes that fit a bit bigger, I'd be a D width, see the problem?
I've unfortunately found that the wider your foot the more pronounced this is.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:21 PM
AIREAYE

Some people have uniformly wider feet while others are more of a V-shape. There's too many factors to condense into a chart.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Shanahanigans

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I'm going to try loosening the first few eyelets, if that doesn't work, I'll see if I can get them expanded a bit.