HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

2 More Seasons

Old
03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Frostbite Warrior

vCash: 500
2 More Seasons

GLENS FALLS -- The Adirondack Phantoms will stay in Glens Falls for two more seasons, U.S. Sen Kirsten Gillibrand. D-N.Y., said in a statement Friday.

"This announcement is not only welcome for the city of Glens Falls, but also for the passionate fans of the Adirondack Phantoms," Gillibrand said.

The announcement was made as part of a press conference that started at 5:30 p.m. in Heritage Hall in the Civic Center.

As part of the two-year committment to Glens Falls, the Brooks Group will also contribute $50,000 toward a $450,000 arena improvement plan.

Warren County will contribute $150,000 and the Glens Falls Civic Center Foundation will put $100,000 toward the project.

Check back on poststar.com for more on this story.

From http://poststar.com/news/local/artic...cc4c03286.html

Frostbite Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:08 PM
pelts35.com

How is this message "welcome" for the fans in the area? This "commitment" marks the end of the AHL in Glens Falls in 2 years.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Frostbite Warrior

Why do you have to make rude comments like this? I mean people want hockey here in Glens Falls Ny and look at the Redwings they stayed for 20 years because people wanted hockey in glens falls

Old
03-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Tommy Hawk

Where is the other 150k coming from? 100+150+50 equals 300k. They are making 450k in improvements.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 02:26 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Where is the other 150k coming from? 100+150+50 equals 300k. They are making 450k in improvements.
Hopefully not us NYS tax payers. Though knoing this messed up state a small part of me wouldn't be shocked. They know how to waste money on other things...

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 02:30 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

What pelts said. This was common knowledge they would be there for 3 years, after that who knows what. Lehigh Valley is supposed to be in the cards for I think 2013?

Um, where are the Crooks Bros gunna get this 50K from? Didn't they lose some money bringing the Phantoms to Adirondack? There is no way they are making money off of Wheeling, I thought they claimed if they didn't do these 10 games in JTown that they would have had to close up shop? So this 50K....where will they get it?

I would love to see Adirondack in the ECHL. We kind of need another team out this way.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:10 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite Warrior View Post
Why do you have to make rude comments like this? I mean people want hockey here in Glens Falls Ny and look at the Redwings they stayed for 20 years because people wanted hockey in glens falls
How is it a rude question? I don't understand how the end of the AHL in Glens Falls is a welcome statement to the fans there.

Are you trying to tell me that averaging just over 3100 fans per game (and don't give me 3600 because I am taking out the 18000+ that attended the game in Philadelphia) an indication that people want hockey in Glens Falls? Sure, people do, just not a lot of them.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Frostbite Warrior

It was the way that you said it! Why have the Mayor in PA make up things like this mean look at this The Lehigh Valley Extreme were a UHL team which were established in 2000, but never played. They were supposed to have played in Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania. So why have another hockey team there i mean i will bet you that Arena will NEVER get Built in time for the 2013 hockey season because the workers will go on strike for about 2 years.

Old
03-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
It was the way that you said it! Why have the Mayor in PA make up things like this mean look at this The Lehigh Valley Extreme were a UHL team which were established in 2000, but never played. They were supposed to have played in Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania. So why have another hockey team there i mean i will bet you that Arena will NEVER get Built in time for the 2013 hockey season because the workers will go on strike for about 2 years.
As inane as this post may sound, he could actually have a point. Personally, I'll believe there's an arena coming to Allentown when I see the place. I just hope the Flyers take better care of their affiliate in the next two years to give the area a solid team to support.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 02:27 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
The way I "said" it? I asked a legitimate question and I'm not sure how you can know how I "said" something when I typed it!

Whether an arena is built or not built, the simple fact is that when you take out the one game played in Philadelphia the Adirondack Phantoms have the 2nd worst attendance in the AHL. That is hardly proves that there is a lot of support for hockey in the Glens Falls area.

As for your comments about the arena, there certainly is some question of whether it will get built (I disagree with Rumblick and think it will get done), but you actually had a reasonable response up until you mentioned workers going on strike for 2 years (although comparing this situation to the U-Haul League Xtreme is a stretch given the two things have nothing to do with each other).

Old
03-05-2011, 03:03 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Couple of things:

Why did the Extreme never take to the ice? No arena?

Isn't attendance a bit overblown? That number for Adirondack sounds low...but in a place like Binghamton that wouldn't be too bad.(granted they only seat all of 4700 at the broome County Veterans Memorial Arena) I guess my take on attendance and its meaning is all about the size of the venue.

Old
03-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalsfan1 View Post
Couple of things:

Isn't attendance a bit overblown? That number for Adirondack sounds low...but in a place like Binghamton that wouldn't be too bad.(granted they only seat all of 4700 at the broome County Veterans Memorial Arena) I guess my take on attendance and its meaning is all about the size of the venue.
I don't think the Civic Center in Glens Falls houses many more than that, and the city itself is smaller than Bingo.

I think for such a small place, they do just fine for attendance.

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:22 AM
RFA

Glens Falls and Bingo are very close in capacity, Bingo may have the advantage with the skyboxes though.

When winning, Adirondack has many "fans" who drive well over an hour to the games, it's not worth it to them to make that kind of effort for a 7th place team. Personally, I don't think they can complain about the number of people who have been showing up.

Does the Brooks' contribution of $50,000 to the GFCC point in the direction of them moving their ECHL team to GF if the Phantoms move?

An arena in hand is worth two in the bush.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:41 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalsfan1 View Post
Couple of things:

No arena was ever completed for the Xtreme, but it wasn't a matter of a lack of initial funding. It was a problem with the site (sinkholes developed) that pushed costs up to the point that the project was scrapped.

Old
03-06-2011, 08:46 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
Glens Falls and Bingo are very close in capacity, Bingo may have the advantage with the skyboxes though.

When winning, Adirondack has many "fans" who drive well over an hour to the games, it's not worth it to them to make that kind of effort for a 7th place team. Personally, I don't think they can complain about the number of people who have been showing up.

Does the Brooks' contribution of $50,000 to the GFCC point in the direction of them moving their ECHL team to GF if the Phantoms move?

Interesting question. Just looking at attendance alone, the Phantoms draw about 1000 more than Wheeling does. The question is whether the operating costs would be more in Glens Falls than they are in Wheeling?

Old
03-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post

I am STILL looking for the answer to this very simple question. The amounts provided by the government entities are already counted, and they will probably get that money from tax increases. Where does the other 150k come from?

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:27 AM
RFA

One of the articles stated that the City of GF, who actually owns the arena, will chip in the other $150K. I believe the "Foundation" is private entity seperate from the City.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:12 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post

An ECHL Team in Adirondack sounds cool. Do you think the fans would be for it though? I always got the vibe that they weren't big on the UHL team.

Wheeling has been on the verge of death for years now. Wasn't Wheeling almost moved once before but someone in the organization leaked it out and the move was nullified? I believe it was to Youngstown Ohio?

Old
03-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
I can't see this team staying there much longer.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote