HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Home work assignment for Sunday's 67's game

Old
03-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Just to touch on this, I waited with a few friends outside the locker room after the game, and Landeskog just kind of bolted past everyone. I liked his game but wasn't at all impressed with this. Not like he could have just not seen us, either, there were about 50 fans waiting.
Maybe he had a bad weekend.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:16 PM
hockeyalltheway
Let's win it all -MR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Did any of the Rangers stop? At the end of a 3 in 3, they usually try to get them on the bus ASAP for the long trip home. As it is, they likely won't get back into town until 10:00ish (they stop for dinner somewhere along the way) and the majority of the players have to go to school tomorrow.
Yeah, quite a few did. Jerry D'Amigo actually stayed for pretty long. So did Sol and... I wanna say Akeson, but don't hold me to that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Maybe he had a bad weekend.
That's fair. I'll give you (and him) that.

Play-wise, he did all the little things right. Great presence in front of the net, he had a solid wrap-around that he tried a few times. Solid passer, and he was active on the bench. No points, of course, but his game was fun enough to watch without point production.

hockeyalltheway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I know you guys think I'm a big Lando fan (I am) but I'll try to be as objective as possible here.

What's his shot and release like (velocity,accuracy)?

Velocity was good. The release was good. The accuracy not so much. I think this is what he needs to work on most.

Can he pick a corner while in top gear and/or in high traffic?

Doesn't seem like it right now. He had a couple decent opportunities and I think he was either nervous or just needs to work on his accuracy. He seems to be able to get it off his stick well at high speed, but just needs to work on his shot a bit.

How's his play away from the puck in the offensive and defensive zone? Does he have the instincts of a goal scorer (i.e.: find open space and slip in and out of coverage)?

In a word 'yes.' He moves a lot like I've noticed Butler recently. He found open spaces, and if his shot had been on he would have had at least two goals tonight just from getting himself into open positions without having to fight for his opportunities. He was also in great position on a couple of odd man rushes but he wasn't given the pass. In terms of his defensive zone play he's always on the ball. He pays a lot of attention and he seems to know what's going on all the time. He made some great break ups of offensive rushes from the 67s and he backchecks really well. On top of that he blocked two shots, and dove to block another shot that never came off.

How do you rate his vision and passing skills?

He surprised me with this. He carried the puck well and found his teammates with some great cross ice passes. I think his passing game may well be underrated. At one point I thought Rieder should have taken a shot after Lando found him with a nice pass while he was open, and Lando had a couple tosses out in front of the net from behind the net that were nice too.

Does he utilize his teammates effectively?

See above. Yes.

How big of an advantage is his physical maturity vs. less developed junior players?

Honestly, maybe it was just me but I didn't see it that much tonight. He was definitely physical, but there were several players that looked bigger than him and he didn't seem to use his physical advantage as much. I don't know if he was trying to make a point that he had skill beyond just his size or not because BM was there. He just seemed to be using his skills more than his body if that makes any sense.

What's his first step like?

Good not exceptional. But definitely not bad. His skating is surprisingly very good and he's very mobile.

What's his top gear like?

Again, good not great. Above average it seemed. He was able to catch up with Prince on the backcheck on a goalscoring opportunity. But I don't know enough about Prince to say how fast he is.

How is he in one on one situations?

He performed well one on one tonight. I didn't see any point where he was outmatched defensively and he even dangled one of the 67's d-men today. In terms of game-breaking ability I don't think he'll ever, or at least not often, score a highlight reel goal in the way that Strome did earlier this year, but he's definitely capable one on one. Shifty enough to score goals in those situations without being too flashy.

How is he on break aways/shoot outs?

Hard to say, there was no opportunity to see it.

Where would you rate his board play and ability to cycle the puck?

Top of the line. He never seemed to be muscled out of the corners or along the boards and he always seemed to get the puck where he was aiming to get it. In terms of his board play and cycle ability I think it's top notch already.

As a winger, does he do a good job of clogging up shooting lanes 5 on 5 and in PK situations? Will he block the shot?

As mentioned before he blocked two shots that I saw tonight, and he dove to block a third that never came. He definitely doesn't have a problem clogging up the lanes or diving to block a shot.

Does he use his stick well to strip the puck off opponents?

Yes. A very notable time was the aforementioned time he backchecked against Prince. In stead of checking him when he caught up he poked the puck away very well and then tied him up along the boards.

Does he have a quick stick to break up passes?

Hard to say. It's not like supernaturally fast or anything like that but I think his positioning more than anything does most of the work for him. He did a good job defensively without having to use his stick for the most part, but I don't think he's Datsyukian level or anything. Small sample size.

Can he handle hard break out passes in the neutral zone?

He seemed to handle the passes he got really well tonight. I don't think I saw him fumble once over them or let them go through him completely. At the same time I don't think he received any real hard passes. Jury's still out? He seemed very poised with the puck and handled it well when he did have/receive it though.

Is he good in transition?

Yeah.

Where is he most comfartable and most effective on the PP?

In front of the net I think. But tonight he was cycling a lot and moving into open spaces. He has a great eye for rebounds though and he's very strong so he does spend a lot of the time standing in front of the net.

What are his strengths as an offensive player? What are his strengths as a defensive player? What does he need to work on?

Woof. Ok so if you read above most of it can be summarized this way:

Strengths
- strong on the puck
- handles the puck well
- decent to good passing, above average vision despite being a shoot-first player
- good release, hard shot
- has very good hockey sense, always seems to know where the puck should be or where it is going
- great defensively, blocks shots, can poke check, great positioning both offensively and defensively
- moves into open spaces well and gets good looks at the net
- goes hard all game
- above average skating with decent speed and very good mobility
- cycles the puck well

Weaknesses
- needs to work on his shot. needs to work on accuracy and maybe a bit on the timing the release could be better but is ok
- faceoffs? he didn't seem great on the ones he took today
- not sure what else...he seems to have a really complete game

Alright...so this is just my opinion. I am a fairly observant person and I tried to watch Lando as closely as possible today. This is what I concluded.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:18 PM
koreaboy

i saw the game live and i watched him intensely during warmup and for every single shift. i came away very impressed.

-during the warmup he had a little tendency that reminded me very much of yashin. i went to a few sens practices when yashin was with us and i was amazed that that guy was handling a puck EVERY second be was on the ice. he was always playing with it, working it, toying with it- and landeskog seemed to be kind of the same way in the warmup.

-kitchener has a pregame warmup routine i've never seen in the NHL before. the whole team lined up on opposite sides of the rink and practiced saucer passes across the ice for a minute or two. landeskog looked very good doing it. nice touch passes, good accuracy, right on the stick.

-started off a bit slowly but got stronger as the game went on. what was immediately apparent was his size. kitchener as a whole is a BIG team, and landeskog isn't the biggest, but he had a big solid body, and good height. he looks like he has an NHL body right now.

-he skates with a wide, balanced stance. very solid on his skates, very good balance, good long strides. he didnt have the apparent speed of a kid like prince or d'amigo because it didnt look like his feet were as fast, but then when he was in footraces the length and power of his stride became pretty apparent. there was also a rush in the 3rd period where he really got on his horse and the quick feet came out. in my first look at him live i wouldnt say he had "elite" speed or that super top gear, but he definitely appears to be a fast skater- and very strong on his skates.

-i was very impressed with his defensive awareness. it's clear the kid cares about the defensive end of the ice and he works hard to put himself in good defensive position. his head was on a swivel on the points in defensive coverage, he seemed to have a good active stick, and he seemed to be a willing shot blocker. on one shot from the point he went down to block it. no flamingoing. he backchecks VERY hard. he appears to be a very, very responsible defensive player. it really jumped out at me.

-strong body, and he plays a pro-style game. no perimeter dipsey-doodling. he forechecks, i saw him finish a couple of checks on the forecheck, and he isnt afraid to put himself in dirty areas. he drives the centre lane HARD. he was frequently planted in front of the net and had a "goal" waved off in the 3rd period when he was planted in front and he grabbed a rebound. unfortunately it went in off his foot and they said he kicked it in. it was probably a good call. he had a little holmstrom in him, but if we drafted him we'd hope he was a bigger, more skilled holmstrom. he isn't at all afraid to plant himself in front to go after pucks.

-shifty skater. like i said, he didnt seem to have the super fast feet or the top gear, but he seemed to have good 1-step quickness and burst when he wanted to. there was a nice play in the 3rd when he came in down the left side, the defencemen tried to squeeze him out on the boards but he kind of accelerated, got low, and squeaked under the check. he was knocked off balance a bit but he recovered and maintained possession.

-uses his body to protect the puck well. seemed to be pretty good at stickhandling in traffic. i bet you he will be an EXCELLENT player on the cycle in the NHL.

-he really should have had a couple of goals today but the goalie campbell made some nice saves on him. one in particular. there was a shot from the left side that he kicked out into the slot, and there was landeskog driving the lane to get it. there was a checker very close to him and not much of a hole. at speed, landeskog got very good wood on the shot and one timed a hard low shot that campbell made an absolutely outstanding save on. it was an excellent play all around. landeskog drove hard to the net and showed very good hands getting a strong shot on goal but the goalie was just a bit better.

-nice hands, good skill. there was a play in the 2nd on an odd-man rush where a guy gave him a bullet pass cross-ice into his skates. he very cleanly played it off his skates on to his stick and immediately fed a perfect pass to a guy down low at the side of the net who was again robbed by campbell. it was a real skill play. it was a very hard pass in his skates, he calmly and quickly kicked it to his stick and got a very fast pass off into a dangerous area.

-he's one of those players where the puck seems to follow him. that comes with hard work and being very good defensively and positionally.

-the kid is very polished, clearly. he seems to do lots of things very well. he is physical, excellent defensively, passes well, protects the puck well, is good positionally, competes hard for pucks, drives the net, and has good hands.

i was very impressed with his game today. i don't think he has jaw-dropping stickhandling or skating skills that we might want in an elite offensive prospect, but the kid looks like a very well-rounded player who will also be able to contribute offensively.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Just to touch on this, I waited with a few friends outside the locker room after the game, and Landeskog just kind of bolted past everyone. I liked his game but wasn't at all impressed with this. Not like he could have just not seen us, either, there were about 50 fans waiting.
You should have been outside. He was out in front of the bus for a while signing autographs and taking pictures with people. Maybe he was just rushing outside because he knew that once he got to the bus he was going to be doing that?

Old
03-06-2011, 06:23 PM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Alright...so this is just my opinion. I am a fairly observant person and I tried to watch Lando as closely as possible today. This is what I concluded.
Great summary, very observant indeed. Prolly my favourite post of yours.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Again, good not great. Above average it seemed. He was able to catch up with Prince on the backcheck on a goalscoring opportunity. But I don't know enough about Prince to say how fast he is.
You talking about the backcheck on the Martindale goal? He caught Toffoli there. Toffoli is a fairly weak skater, Landeskog caught him easily and rubbed him right out of the play.

Old
03-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

I was at the game and thought he was good. Certainly not dominant, but did a lot of little things well, and early on, just wasn't getting the puck in position to do too much with it. One of the problems with a winger though - the puck doesn't immediately flow through him, so he was at the mercy of the flow and his linemates at times. But he skates well and showed some shiftiness, which was one of the important things I was looking for (can he create his own space). He didn't too much of it, but did a few moves that showed me he could (when short-handed mostly, to get the puck up ice).

I think his shot definitely needs work though. He isn't going to be scoring a ton of quick release goals from the slot next season with that release and velocity. This is where he is well back of an Iginla type, or even a Skinner for that matter. That said, he will score a lot of ugly goals, and likely some nice ones in close. Good hands and balance, and nice size. I also agree he likely won't grow that much more though. He's a solid 200 and will likely fill out a few pounds a year to 210 or 215 and be a solid winger. He'll be a physical winger with an aggresive attitude, but not a physically dominant power forward per se.

I like to think he has the potential to be a Shanahan, or even Iginla, but I don't see the pure goal scoring based on my few viewings (this wasn't the first). He is much more likely to be a Brendan Morrow or Scott Harntell type, although not quite as tough as those guys. But still, his worst case is likely that type of production, which a steady 20-25 goal scorer who plays in your top 6 and wears a letter. Perhaps scores 30 a few times in career years. And that's worst case.

I can see why scouts wouldn't want to pass on him, simply because, outside of the pure franchise guys that go 1st overall, there aren't too many forwards who come along this safe a bet to be a solid top 6 guy. I'm not sure his upside is as high as some of the centers in this draft, but he is a helluva lot safer bet, that's for sure, and his upside is pretty good too.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Minister of Offence

Did people even get a chance to evaluate his shooting. He got into one good shooting opportunity, the puck rolled and he missed wide and high. The release on that shot was pretty decent I thought. Other than that, he didn't do much shooting.

Old
03-06-2011, 07:42 PM
H2O

Quote:
Did people even get a chance to evaluate his shooting. He got into one good shooting opportunity, the puck rolled and he missed wide and high. The release on that shot was pretty decent I thought. Other than that, he didn't do much shooting.
The ice was ultra crappy. Pucks were bouncing like tennis balls. I didn't like that he's not a puck possession player, then again, he's a winger. I really think RNH is the best pick for us.

Old
03-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The ice was ultra crappy. Pucks were bouncing like tennis balls. I didn't like that he's not a puck possession player, then again, he's a winger. I really think RNH is the best pick for us.
He's not a puck carrier, but every time I watch he manages the puck well and helps maintain it's possession along with his teammates.

Old
03-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
I thought there was another, besides that one. Plus, easy enough to watch his shot and release in warm-up (presuming he isn't hold back too much).

But that's not the main issue with his goal scoring prowess (or lack thereof).

Perhaps he does have a hidden wicked-release I have yet to see, but every pure goal scorer I've ever watched play, pretty much showed you their release every game they played. It was their hallmark and they simply didn't go games without getting multiple shots off from their bread and butter shot. And they got it off quick enough, they didn't need as much time and space as others did. All the more reason they got more chances. Even Butler is showing off his release at the NHL level pretty regularly.

Lando just doesn't seem to be that kind of player, and scores more of his goals the Tomas Holmstrom old-fashion way (and nothing wrong with that). Admittedly, I haven't even seen him play 10 times, so perhaps some Rangers season ticket holders can chime in, but I have seen him several times now and never really saw that -ever-dangerous shootist.

Old
03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
He has a good release, and some decent power in his shot. I just think that he needs to work on the accuracy. If he works on his shot over the summer I see no issues with him potting 30 goals next year.

Old
03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
He has a good release, and some decent power in his shot. I just think that he needs to work on the accuracy. If he works on his shot over the summer I see no issues with him potting 30 goals next year.
See 30 next year sounds pretty lofty to me. It's a not certainty he'll line up beside Spezza and earn 1st unit PP time right off the bat.

Old
03-06-2011, 08:26 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
He had only two opportunities really with shots. The other shooting opportunity he had he tried to pot it five hole and was stopped. Then got in close and missed his rebound, putting it just off behind the post on the net from in tight.

He definitely strikes me as more of a playmaking powerforward hybrid... if that makes sense haha

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
I'm just not sure what you base your expectations on. After all, Jeff Skinner might win rookie of the year and is the second coming to those in Carolina, and even he isn't on pace for 30 goals this year. And he scored 70 goals in the OHL last year with Kitchener including playoffs. Tayloy Hall wouldn't have scored 30 if he were healthy. Seguin - not even close. And all of these guys have goal scoring resumes and skillsets that are much more impressive than Lando.

No issue scorin 30? The Sens might not have a 20 goal scorer this year. Ovechkin might not score 30.

Landeskog simply hasn't show the type of dominant goal scoring ability to justify a seamless transition to 20 goal scorer as a teenager, let alone 30. I like the guy a lot and I won't be up in arms if we draft him, but you need to re-set your expectations for him. He'll physically have no problems with the NHL next year, but it will take some time for him to become a top line goal scorer. 15-20 would be great.

Old
03-07-2011, 09:20 AM
SENSational Sens Fan

If we draft him and he puts up around 40 points next season, I'll be more than satisfied.

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy The Sens Fan View Post
If we draft him and he puts up around 40 points next season, I'll be more than satisfied.
I'd be happy with 30-40, just have to put him or whom ever we draft with stable linemates and allow them to grow.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Note to self: don't give projections based on improvements the player makes and possible scenarios in the future. Also don't ever say 'I wouldn't be surprised' because that translates literally into 'this is what will happen in the future.'

Old
03-07-2011, 10:08 AM
H2O

Nice to have some youthful optimism I guess. Some of us are older and are just more cynical.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Johnny Hanson

Quote:
this guy thinks there will be no issues with landeskog scoring 30 goals in the NHL next season yet taylor hall wont score 30 his rookie season, stamkos didnt, tavares didnt, kane didnt, toews didnt and the list goes on.

you are desperate to get people to agree with you on your obvious love for landeskog yet you throw out outrageous claims like this. earlier you said he will have a few 50 goal seasons. you are totally unrealistic and way off the mark. nothing you say about landeskog can be taken seriously now because of the rose coloured glasses you've been obviously wearing the few times you have actually seen the guy play. slow down buddy

Johnny Hanson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Yeah I like Lando and hope we pick him, but CphoenixM is going way overboard like Pyke is for RNH. Both of them need to settle down.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot karlsson View Post
this guy thinks there will be no issues with landeskog scoring 30 goals in the NHL next season yet taylor hall wont score 30 his rookie season, stamkos didnt, tavares didnt, kane didnt, toews didnt and the list goes on.

you are desperate to get people to agree with you on your obvious love for landeskog yet you throw out outrageous claims like this. earlier you said he will have a few 50 goal seasons. you are totally unrealistic and way off the mark. nothing you say about landeskog can be taken seriously now because of the rose coloured glasses you've been obviously wearing the few times you have actually seen the guy play. slow down buddy
So because (insert player here) didn't do something at a certain time that means that (insert player here) can't ever do it? Landeskog is also a little more developed physically than they all are. He also plays a different kind of game that translates easier to the NHL.

Keep in mind here, that what I said was that 'IF' Lando made a dedicated effort to improve a specific facet of his game (while also improving on the rest of his game) I don't see any issues with him potting 30. I don't get where I say that Lando will 'definitely get 30 goals' or 'Lando is going to have the best rookie season of any prospect this draft' or anything along those lines. I also never said that he would have any goal seasons, at any point. I said 'I could see him having...' if he really improved his shot. But again, selective reading and all that to support your point, right?

Old
03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
See 30 next year sounds pretty lofty to me. It's a not certainty he'll line up beside Spezza and earn 1st unit PP time right off the bat.
While 30 might be high, I do believe he is exactly the type of player the Sens need to play with Spezza.

Of course it is not a sure thing the Sens pick him even if he is available.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
So because (insert player here) didn't do something at a certain time that means that (insert player here) can't ever do it? Landeskog is also a little more developed physically than they all are. He also plays a different kind of game that translates easier to the NHL.

Keep in mind here, that what I said was that 'IF' Lando made a dedicated effort to improve a specific facet of his game (while also improving on the rest of his game) I don't see any issues with him potting 30. I don't get where I say that Lando will 'definitely get 30 goals' or 'Lando is going to have the best rookie season of any prospect this draft' or anything along those lines. I also never said that he would have any goal seasons, at any point. I said 'I could see him having...' if he really improved his shot. But again, selective reading and all that to support your point, right?
Saying you don't see any issue with Lando scoring 30 goals next year simply by "working on his shot" is definitely unfounded optimism and only part of what is required to score goals in the NHL. Do you think the players mentioned previously didn't "work on their shot" after being drafted?

And that's not really the point. He's not "a bit of accuracy" away from scoring 30 goals in the NHL. You need to be able to get off your shot many times a game in the NHL - elite or not - to score 30 goals. Lando simply isn't ready in other facets of his game to get in position to fire 200+ shots on NHL goalies next year, which is what he'd need to score 30. Remember, NO ONE on the Sens will get 200 shots off this year. Probably not even close. Hell, he had trouble getting space to get shots off against the 67's yesterday, but he is ready to do that in the NHL?

I realize you are on record as saying this guy is going to be a phenom and you feel cornered everytime he gets the slightest criticism to defend him, but you really are getting to the stage where people will simply ignore your posts when it comes to this subject. And you're seemingly a solid fan with some good knowledge, so it would be too bad if this happened. Seen it happen on here a number of times.