HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #65: at San Jose, 3/05 (9:30 PM, TXA21, 1310 AM)

Old
03-06-2011, 12:19 AM
phil7488
RIP Lokomotiv

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post
yeah I know, god i fckn love that we wooped their @sses tonight. Hope we meet in the playoffs so will show them an early round exit.

STARS BABY!!
Wouldn't mind that matchup, the Sharks can't do jack in the playoffs

phil7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Dirty Kari

Goligoski +1 4 shots 27:41

Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
And Lobo, wth does "Standingsoligist" mean? Or is that your chat equivalent of slamming your hand on your keyboard?
That's what Ralph said they had and consulted when they were talking about the standings. 0_0

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil7488 View Post
LOL at the sharks fans on their GDT raging about Benn...music to my ears.

So if Benn is a *****, according to them, and he just ***** their team, what does that make the Sharks?

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
What a relief.

6th place, one point back with two games in hand on the 5th place Yotes.

Only 3 points back of 4th place Chicago.....but only 3 points up on 11th place Minnesota.

03-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Goligoski is definitely one of our top 4 players. Richards first, Benn/Eriksson/Goligoski tied for 2nd.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhicksnightmare View Post
Goligoski is definitely one of our top 4 players. Richards first, Benn/Eriksson/Goligoski tied for 2nd.
I'd still slide Lehtonen in there ahead of Benn and Goligoski due to the impact he's had for Dallas this year.

When Benn starts putting up the numbers and if Goligoski really hits his stride, that will change.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
When Benn starts putting up the numbers
Goals in 3 straight. I think he's starting that

Old
03-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
I'd still slide Lehtonen in there ahead of Benn and Goligoski due to the impact he's had for Dallas this year.

When Benn starts putting up the numbers and if Goligoski really hits his stride, that will change.
I originally typed skaters, but didn't want it to be confused with skating ability...which Goligoski would also be in the top 4 for the Stars. Lehtonen is somewhere in that mix for me too.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:50 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Benn had over 24 minutes tonight. Insane. He's really stepping up the pace. We need Richie back soon though to not wear him out before the playoffs. We all saw how that final stretch in Cedar Park wore on him last year.

I feel like being "the man" really is helping him break out though. So excited to see what he can do on the top line.

Man, if we can pull even a point out of the Kings on Monday (with Riche and Gross potentially back), and get 6/7 points out of 8 on this road trip, that's so HUGE. Seven game homestead coming up.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:54 AM
catters078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Why are they raging about Benn?

And Lobo, wth does "Standingsoligist" mean? Or is that your chat equivalent of slamming your hand on your keyboard?
I read some idiots were calling him a cherry picker on that short handed goal.

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:54 AM
KiedisA

Jesus what a 3rd period.. I couldn't stay awake in the 2nd(no alcohol involved, just work) and actually thought that we'd lost when I woke up hours later. I was forced to put the Dallas radio feed on ´cause the Sharks' feed was eating my soul. They actually said something like "Joe had to make the Goligoski deal because Zubov leaving has had a big influence to our defence".. Like these things go together.. You would thought that playing in the same division, you follow the other teams as well as your own??

Benn's first goal.. reminds you of anyone?? Maybe some yank braking records??

To me Williams has played his place into the team and now Langerbrunner would be the odd man out, althought he was playing decent against Anaheim. Williams has a wicked slap shot and he quite smart without the puck. Of course when #91 returns it gets more tricky to get into the top12 but until that happens, he's a valuable part of the team to me at least..

KiedisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Caseman

I really don't know what I'm watching when I see Benn. I always heard Razor or somebody say "When he figures out he can do whatever he wants..." but I never understood what that meant. Does that mean this is real or is Benn just on a tear as of late?

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:04 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
I really don't know what I'm watching when I see Benn. I always heard Razor or somebody say "When he figures out he can do whatever he wants..." but I never understood what that meant. Does that mean this is real or is Benn just on a tear as of late?
I have a real hard time figuring Benn out as well. You usually can judge a player a come up with a reasonable ceiling for them. I have no idea with Benn.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:05 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiedisA View Post
Benn's first goal.. reminds you of anyone?? Maybe some yank braking records??
That's a great call. Except Benn didn't bobble it at first.

It keeps entering my mind lately when I watch Benn do what he does. The nagging feeling that we haven't had a player this good since Modano in his prime (the Hitchcock version with added defensive conscience).

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:08 PM
starsfan4ever

He reminds me of a better defensively Rick Nash.

Not as better of a playmaker... has same shot power, not the same accuracy. Agreed?

Also, does Larsen have the same offensive potential as Gogo?

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
I think Razor is saying Benn can be at this level all the time. He's on a tear right now because he has the confidence to take the puck at people instead of passing off and trying to go around them. My impression of when Razor says that is that Benn can be too passive at times, or at least he doesn't realize that he has the skill to be able to individually beat almost any player in the league. Once he becomes conscious of that fact, you'd expect him to be even more aggressive at beating guys 1 on 1.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
It keeps entering my mind lately when I watch Benn do what he does. The nagging feeling that we haven't had a player this good since Modano in his prime (the Hitchcock version with added defensive conscience).
Completely agreed.

Granted I didn't get to see Modano before the Hitchcock era started, before I fully believe this is the best player we've drafted since Modano.

Old
03-06-2011, 01:34 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan4ever View Post
He reminds me of a better defensively Rick Nash.

Not as better of a playmaker... has same shot power, not the same accuracy. Agreed?

Also, does Larsen have the same offensive potential as Gogo?
Yeah I'd say Larsen does....but I'd also say Niskanen and Vishnevskiy did and they didn't exactly work out for us.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Brand New Stars

I'd say Benn has the potential to be a top 10 player in the league.

Brand New Stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:05 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
I'd say Benn has the potential to be a top 10 player in the league.
Agreed. What puts it over the top for me is his ability to be physically dominating. And he still can skate, shoots, and dangle.

How did Benn end up dropping to the 5th round again? (Apologies if this has been addressed ad nauseam elsewhere.) I can understand Euros (e.g. Zetterberg/Datsyuk) as late draftees but a kid right under the noses of NHL scouts in Canadian junior hockey? It's hard to imagine someone developing THIS much in a few short years. Anyhow, glad the Stars have him.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Classic late bloomer. His junior stats were solid but far from dominating. He also didn't even make major junior until he was 18 (after he was drafted). The Stars took him out of the BCHL. It wasn't that everyone missed him. It's just that he has developed that quickly.

He may have also been a late grower. Looking at some old stories, he was 6-2 or 6-3 but 185 when he went to junior at age 18. That tells me he may not have hit his growth spurt until he was 16 or so. Double ETA: Yup, he was 5-7 when he played Junior B before he joined the Grizzles, so he grew 7-8 inches over the course of 3-4 years.

ETA: An HF scouting report before he was drafted:
Quote:
Benn is a 6’2, 185-pound left wing who was on very few people’s radar screens prior to the 2006-07 season. The Victoria, BC native is a hometown player who, along with his brother Jordie, joined the Grizzlies at the start of this season. HF has had the opportunity to see him play upwards of ten games throughout the season and has witnessed constant and significant improvement from the first game of the season to the end of the 2006 calendar. Benn is a pure finisher who lived up to that billing, averaging nearly a goal per game so far this season. After 31 games this season, he sits third overall in the BCHL with 30 goals. Benn has just 12 assists.

There is little doubt that Benn’s numbers are slightly inflated from spending time on a line with BCHL scoring leader Tyler Bozak. But it is Benn’s deadly accurate shooting ability and his uncanny knack for being right where the puck bounces on rebounds, that has resulted in his high goal total. Benn has the size and natural ability to be a successful major junior player, but he is not a particularly physical guy for his size. It is hoped that the college experience will add an edge to his game. Benn recently committed to Alaska-Fairbanks and was also awarded the "B" listing by Central Scouting. Benn has long-shot potential as a top-six forward. His skill set is not conducive to playing in the bottom two lines, but he won’t be a bad risk to take in the later rounds for a team that needs scoring in its prospect cupboard.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...l_draft_class/

And HF's talent analysis after his first major junior season:
Quote:
Benn is a pure sniper with both good shooting and deking abilities in close. He has an uncanny knack for finding loose pucks, finding the space to make himself available for a pass and being in the right spot to bury rebounds. But his skating is average at best. How he will adjust to less time and space in the pros is an open question.

At 6’2, 185 lbs he doesn’t use his size particularly well and he’s not an overly physical force. He is extremely effective when he has the time to set up and shoot or on odd-man rushes. His defensive play will need improvement.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jamie_benn

Last edited by Kritter471: 03-06-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Bozak inflating Benn's numbers?

Didn't see that coming.

I wonder who'd be carrying who this time around.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Dr GLU

Benn was also a fantastic baseball player in his teens. He was good enough that he could have been drafted in the MLB draft if he chose baseball over hockey. That probably also played a part in his late hockey development as his hockey off-seasons were spent playing for his local AAA baseball team.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:09 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Bozak inflating Benn's numbers?

Didn't see that coming.

I wonder who'd be carrying who this time around.
Hey now, you're talking about the 1st line center on the highest valued team in the NHL... versus a guy "toiling" between the 2nd/3rd lines most of the year.

Further, Bozak wasn't even drafted, making his value infinitely greater than Benn's, if you figure not being drafted is akin to dividing by zero. (That was for you math nerds)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
Benn was also a fantastic baseball player in his teens. He was good enough that he could have been drafted in the MLB draft if he chose baseball over hockey. That probably also played a part in his late hockey development as his hockey off-seasons were spent playing for his local AAA baseball team.
Interesting... Here's to not doing the Tom Glavine thing.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote