HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Penguins sold?

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Seachd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Hockey
No, I do not feel threatened. I do have my sources, and they are way better than the thread starter.
I am the thread starter. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about "I heard on the radio". In fact, I'll admit right now - I have no sources. But at no point did I say I did.

Maybe you misunderstood the point/content of the thread?

Old
07-02-2004, 11:37 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

I'll pretend this rumour is true in order to facilitate my dream of #66 signing as a UFA with the Montreal Canadiens which is now possible since he has sold his ownership stake and is once again "just" a player free to sign with anyone.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Mister Hockey

I guess I did. I'm wrong on that point.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Pizza the Hutt just bought the Penguins?? He's moving them where?

This is all BS.

Old
07-03-2004, 12:07 AM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens4ever
Pizza the Hutt just bought the Penguins?? He's moving them where?
Druidia

If you would like more information, please contact Vespa at 1-800-DRU-IDIA.

Old
07-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I am the thread starter. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about "I heard on the radio". In fact, I'll admit right now - I have no sources. But at no point did I say I did.

Maybe you misunderstood the point/content of the thread?
No problem, I understand your just telling us what you heard, but it makes no sense.

Old
07-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Arastiroth

People who are using the slots as a reason why this rumor isn't true are forgetting something very important. An agreement for a transfer of a multi-million dollar company (Penguins) does not take a few days to complete. Assuming this story is true, this likely started at least a month ago, spent a couple weeks discussing terms, presented it to the league, which then probably spent a week looking at it, before turning it down. The slots (from my understanding) have only looked favorable recently. A very recent development wouldn't affect this, as an agreement between Lemieux and whoever would've taken significant time.

I'm not saying the rumor is true, but I am saying that the slots appearance to be passed doesn't make this rumor not true. Lemieux very well may have agreed to the deal, put it through, had it rejected before that was known. If so, he may change his mind on his desire to sell the team (if he wanted to in the first place).

Also, how can people be mad AT Lemieux for wanting to sell the team? If he is losing money what do Pittsburgh fans expect him to do? Continue losing money until he's bankrupt? Would you invest all of your money into something, then not pull out just because you felt bad for the people it would affect? Would you risk your family's quality of life so some people can watch a game? I surely know my answer to that...

Old
07-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Mister Hockey

Slots have nothing to do with this. This is based on nothing.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:13 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
Good riddance, Penguins.

The people of Pittsburgh should chase Mario out of town with pitchforks.

pitss deserved to loose there franchise long ago

Mario sell them while u can still play and make 10 mil a yr

Old
07-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Jeff Goldblum

When exactly is a long time ago?? Four years ago??? Because they were still in the playoffs then...

Old
07-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Jacob

Quote:
People who are using the slots as a reason why this rumor isn't true are forgetting something very important. An agreement for a transfer of a multi-million dollar company (Penguins) does not take a few days to complete. Assuming this story is true, this likely started at least a month ago, spent a couple weeks discussing terms, presented it to the league, which then probably spent a week looking at it, before turning it down. The slots (from my understanding) have only looked favorable recently. A very recent development wouldn't affect this, as an agreement between Lemieux and whoever would've taken significant time.
Flawed theory. If negotiations were going on for a whole month, SOMETHING (reliable) would have leaked. Besides that, Mario probably wouldn't have come out and said the team is NOT for sale.

From this very same free press:

http://beerforbreakfast.org/Jets/Free_Press_June11.jpg

--------
Quote:
Listen to this guy, he obviously knows what he's talking about.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Jeff Goldblum

You know, I didn't even notice those before. I guess i just assumed most posters had a 5th grade education.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:57 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens4ever
You know, I didn't even notice those before. I guess i just assumed most posters had a 5th grade education.
What's our favorite number class?

Old
07-03-2004, 02:03 AM
infinitesadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander

and good day to you sir!

Leaf lander, i want solid reasons why pittsburgh deserves to lose the franchise.

Old
07-03-2004, 02:09 AM
Natural Habs Fan

I'm sure it's possible that Mario sold the team but I doubt he'd of done it now & also to a person who wasn't going to keep them in Pittsburgh.

An NHL without the Penguins just doesn't seem right...

Old
07-03-2004, 02:43 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I just remembered something. I believe he mentioned that the buyer was the owner of Pizza Hut.

I'm not saying I believe him, but it'll be interesting to see just how right/wrong he is.

I believe that would be Pepsi . . . who also owns Taco Bell and many other franchises . . .and which at last check was not owned by any 'one' but is a large company of stockholders much like Disney is. So this makes the story even more ridiculous, at least if rumors are goignt o be spread the facts should be a bit better and more believably made up.

Just checked . .. used to be pepsi I guess, maybe somehow still affiliated, but no single owner:

'Pizza Hut® is a division of YUM! Brands Inc. and has more than 7,200 units in the U.S. and 3,000 units in more than 86 other countries.

YUM! Brands Inc. is the parent company to two other segment leaders, Taco Bell and KFC. When combined with Pizza Hut®, these organizations make up the world's largest restaurant group, with almost twice as many units as McDonald's'

http://www.pizzahut.ca/phsite.nsf/vwhtml/index

Old
07-03-2004, 03:56 AM
weaponomega

I don't know what that other guy was talking about, but I bought the penguins. I think I paid too much, but I'll let you guys be the judge:

To me:
controlling interest in the Penguins

To former owners:
1 case of Snickers
1 stapler (with no staples)
1 4 year old pair of Nike Air Max (man I loved those shoes)
1 Blue pen
200 sheets of Hilroy paper
1 bottle of Centrum Multivitamins
2 Beer Mugs
1 roll of Aluminum foil
3 slices of Pepperoni Pizza

P.S They're moving to Drumheller. They will be known as the Drumheller Stegasauruseseses

Last edited by weaponomega: 07-03-2004 at 03:59 AM.
Old
07-03-2004, 08:21 AM
Mister Hockey

That's about right. This is the most absurd thread I have ever read.

Old
07-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Arastiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Flawed theory. If negotiations were going on for a whole month, SOMETHING (reliable) would have leaked. Besides that, Mario probably wouldn't have come out and said the team is NOT for sale.

From this very same free press:

http://beerforbreakfast.org/Jets/Free_Press_June11.jpg
Ahhh, I remembered his statement wrong. He said that the club may be available in the future, hinting that no arena means it may be sold. I recalled (incorrectly) him saying the team may be available (now/soon), because the arena situation didn't look promising. I guess I fast forwarded the situation. "Right now, I feel betrayed by the lack of arena support by city and county leaders." That statement stood out in my mind from the first time I read his statements a couple weeks ago, which I guess led me to think he was talking more in the present then in the future.

Old
07-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Papa Smurf

Taylor is kind of a pipe dreamer who always brings up the possibilities of the Jets returning, and so he may have jumped the gun about the Pens.

Old
07-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

I already posted this on the Pens msg. board, but most people who don't live in Pgh are in the dark about the Pens situation.

Slots legislation passed in the Senate, and it is just a matter of time until it passes through the House.

The bill (for now) has no article stating that money will be given for an arena.

The money is to go to the Sports and Exhibition Authority, which runs Mellon arena now.

They will use the money for various projects, including money to fix the convention center they had built several years ago. Our politicians in their infinite wisdom, hired the wrong people to build the convention center.

There will be excess money left over after the SEA finishes all the projects on their wish list.

The Mellon arena, or any arena for that matter, has to be booked about 240 days a year to make any money. If the Pens leave, the SEA will lose their main tenant, and thus won't turn any profit.

The SEA also did an independent study on the Mellon arena and determined the city needs a new arena. This study had similar numbers to the Pens study. (approx. $240m)

The Mellon arena lease expires in 2007. It generally takes 20-24 months to build a new arena. This would leave the SEA almost 15 months before they have to break ground to have an arena built by the Fall of '07.

It wouldn't make much sense if Mario sold the team now. Especially when he can wait for a new arena to be built, and a new CBA to be worked out. This will raise the value of the franchise, and give Mario a much higher profit margin if he sold it.

By then, the Pens will be locked into a new lease and I could care less if Mario sells the team.

Old
07-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Hmmmm Scott Taylor is rather respected in hockey circles

Old
07-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
And he also is a Winnipeger who has done the same crap before...with the same franchise.

Considering this story broke almost 24 hours ago and...SUPRISE...isn't leaked out anywhere but this one guy's mouth...it's complete and utter ********.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
07-03-2004, 09:04 PM
DJ Spinoza

I'd like a pizza for my troubles anyways.

Old
07-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Til the End of Time

While ultimately I think the Pens will indeed leave town, it simply does not make sense for Mario to sell the team now, as others have said.

Did this guy just make the whole thing up, knowing it was false?

Closed Thread