HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Bozak Extension ?

Old
03-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorPayne View Post
He shouldn't get a dollar over one million.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
i'm thinking $1.5mil MAX. maybe for a year or two and go from there.

the thing with Bozak is, he's not just an offensive player. i can live with his lack of production because he's such a smart player and good in other areas...but i certainly hope his offensive production picks up again next season.

i like him a whole lot...but i like him a lot more when he's producing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Classy View Post
Watch him sign for peanuts and then break out.
I really dont think the leafs will offer him over 1 mil at all if he's lucky as Ganoush said, around 1.5 max out of luck, my personal say is 1.175 or something.

And Stay classy just like Kulie eh

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:58 AM
highoffglass
Cheers!

keep him around for 1.5 for 2 years.. and if he continues to struggle then let me go...

Sophmore slump... he doesnt look anything like last year, I still think he can become a good 3rd line center, MAYBE a second line center, time will tell

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:01 AM
highoffglass
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafempire187 View Post
1.35 for 2 years

my question is who do you guys want on our fourth line...the only Lock is Brown.....

Lupul-Laich-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabo-Mac
Army-Bozak-Kadri
Brunnstrum/rosehill/orr/Mueller - Brent/Boyce/Hanson/Zigomanis/ - Brown
Fourth line? Brent at center IMO has proven himself, and the wing could be bewteen Mueller, Orr, and I wouldnt be surprised if Burkie signed a vet FA to fill out that fourth line

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
You can extend him, but this year like Gus is the dreaded sophomore slump. I wouldn't insult him, but also give him 2 years, at a reasonable level.

He should break out next season.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:20 AM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
The joy of EA sports hockey eh...lol...messes with peoples minds/hockey sense

That said - about your comment to the poster on Laich - i think he's a realistic target this summer

However, if Colborne is ready I can see him moving back to the LW (Laich that is)
I would love to have Laich on this team. But the group of free agent forwards is pretty weak and I think a lot of teams are going to be targetting him. He's going to end up getting a lot of money and he's really not an ideal top 6 forward for the Leafs. Especially not a 1st line centre which is what I laughed it.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
I would love to have Laich on this team. But the group of free agent forwards is pretty weak and I think a lot of teams are going to be targetting him. He's going to end up getting a lot of money and he's really not an ideal top 6 forward for the Leafs. Especially not a 1st line centre which is what I laughed it.
When and If Laich does hit FA, teams will definitely overpay due to the weak FA class this year. There is no solid talent available aside from Richards, so they will be overpaying for the little they can get.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:25 AM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKadri View Post
Fourth line? Brent at center IMO has proven himself, and the wing could be bewteen Mueller, Orr, and I wouldnt be surprised if Burkie signed a vet FA to fill out that fourth line
Brent is a UFA this season, but will probably be brought back. Boyce is RFA andlikely back too. I don't think either is a lock for the pro roster. Hanson should have a shot at the role as well.

I don't think they'll bring in anyone else to compete for that role though.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:28 AM
leafempire187

Quote:
yes hes not the "ideal" person we want there but Laich>Bozak....we are not going to get Richards so it is what it is.....just look at kessel when he got 1 NHL forward on his line....bozak just doesnt cut it on that line and i dont think Colburne or kadri are ready for 1st line duties...imo i supposei would like to see the Army-Bozak-Kadri on the 3rd line with Kadri on the PP... i guess time will tell whats in store for us next year

leafempire187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:31 AM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

Quote:
yes hes not the "ideal" person we want there but Laich>Bozak....we are not going to get Richards so it is what it is.....just look at kessel when he got 1 NHL forward on his line....bozak just doesnt cut it on that line and i dont think Colburne or kadri are ready for 1st line duties...imo i supposei would like to see the Army-Bozak-Kadri on the 3rd line with Kadri on the PP... i guess time will tell whats in store for us next year
I think it's a given that Bozak won't be in our top 6 next season but I'm willing to put money on Burke making a trade for a top 6 forward instead of having to go after one in free agency.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:31 AM
catgoldfish

Third of fourth liner for me. Still has good playmaking ability but nothing else. Wouldm't give him anything over one million. They are far better players out there.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:35 AM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
The problem is if Laich is not the answer, then he's going to block that spot for someone else. Personally, I'm not even sold on Laich as a centre. If he fits on this team, it's as a LW and Lupul has dibs on that spot unless we're thinking of moving him to the third line.

If we can't a real solution as first line centre, we need to look at a short term option like Connolly or trading for Ribeiro if Richards ends up back in Dallas.

Old
03-05-2011, 10:37 AM
robr00

2 years 2 million

robr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:38 AM
totesmcgotes

I see bozie getting a short deal at around 1mil. I really hope he breaks out next season because I was so confident in this kid over the summer and preseason.

totesmcgotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Razor
Say no to Luongo.

Ideal 3rd line centre, kills penalties and wins draws. Too much was expected of him with so little depth down the middle when the season started.

Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
calcal798

1.5 for 2 years for Bozak. Nothing more, thats a fair statement of his play so far this year, even if it is a sohpmore slump.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TootooTrain
Bangers

It won't be longer than 2 years. They're still unsure what they have in bozak and he isn't getting any younger. Sign him to something cheap, I don't think he's in any position to negotiate for anything more than 1.5. Should be 1.25 IMO

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:43 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoldfish View Post
Third of fourth liner for me. Still has good playmaking ability but nothing else. Wouldm't give him anything over one million. They are far better players out there.

I have to agree with you that he's a 3rd or 4th liner.

You have to sign him to a 2-3 year contract worth 1.0 - 1.3 million. I think that you have to keep him around for insurance in case Grabovski takes off in free agency. Also, you have to keep him just in case Colborne and Kadri don't pan out.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:00 AM
zapy

1.2/year for 2 years

zapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Mojo19
GOlf LEAFS GOlf!

In agreement with most posters.....

Bozak should get a contract as a 3rd line center ($1-$1.25M for 2-3years), no more. He hasn't proven that he has the offense to be paid top 6 money, and has had ample opportunity to do so.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Tombernack

anywhere between $800,000 - $2,000,000 is fine by me. I'm just glad we're all on the same page that he should be kept.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:39 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

If you're only gonna pay him 1.1 or 1.3 or something like that I hope they sign him for a longer term, like 3 or 4 years as an insurance over a breakout from him the next couple of years.

Old
03-05-2011, 11:57 AM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
If you're only gonna pay him 1.1 or 1.3 or something like that I hope they sign him for a longer term, like 3 or 4 years as an insurance over a breakout from him the next couple of years.
Well, Bozak will likely be willing to take 1-1.5 mil only because it's a 1-2 year contract. This gives him a couple of years to get his game together and show what he's worth.

A longer term deal would likely not be of interest to him unless he's getting a significantly larger salary.

Old
03-05-2011, 12:13 PM
RAGINGxPONY

Pretty much with most people here, 1-1.5 mil for 2-3 years.

RAGINGxPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Commander Clueless
Spazmatic Dan

Quote:
I think it's a given that Bozak won't be in our top 6 next season but I'm willing to put money on Burke making a trade for a top 6 forward instead of having to go after one in free agency.
I agree that a top 6 centre in free agency is unlikely and a trade is much more likely, but my best guess is we see our top 3 centers be Grabovski, Bozak and Kadri with an outside shot for Colborne depending on training camp with Bozie seeing 3rd line center duties. I fully expect to see Bozak bounce back from his sophomore slump next season, however, and if Kadri/Colborne require more time and Bozak comes back with a vengeance I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a return to the top 6. We all saw how well he did last year.

There's quite a bit of hate for Bozak and others in sophomore slumps right now (most noteably Gustavsson) but people need to remember just how young this team is and how struggles come with that.

All that said, I'd say a shorter term (1-2 year) deal in the low to mid $1 million range would be appropriate until he can find his legs again.

Commander Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:26 PM
seanlinden

I'm sure everyone here would love for Bozak to sign a $1.2m deal X 2 years, and I'm also pretty sure Tyler Bozak wouldn't like to sign that. This is a guy that has basically flirted on the borderline of top 6 centre during his tenure in Toronto. It doesn't make a ton of sense to sign a multi-year deal at the going rate for a pretty bad 3rd line centre.

Either he signs a 1-year low risk deal to prove his worth (as an NHL player) in the $1.2-$1.5m range, or the Leafs take a leap of faith with him and give him around $2m on a multi-year deal.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote