HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Bozak Extension ?

Old
03-06-2011, 11:49 AM

vCash: 500
JMO but I do not think Bozak has NHL talent..I hope it is only a second year slump that he is going through but it seems to me that there is far more to it than that.
Players better than Bozak are a dime a dozen at league minimum so I think the Leafs should offer him just that for a one year contract, take it or leave it. If he improves his play he will be rewarded with a new and more lucrative contract at that time..
I just can't imagine Leafs entering another season with Tyler Bozak as their number one center...I cringe ..lol

share is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:02 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

I wouldnt give him a big number. Maybe 2.2 million over 2 years. That gives him two years to prove if he belongs in the NHL.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:10 PM
smitty10

I don't see where Bozak fits in to our future. I think that Burke is going to acquire a first line center this year and with Grabovski as our 2nd line center and Kadri coming up (3rd line), then where will he fit? Grabo has really outplayed him this year and will certainly be back next year (and probably a few after that), so where does he actually fit? He's better than a 4th line center, so he'd have to be traded.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:21 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by share View Post
JMO but I do not think Bozak has NHL talent..I hope it is only a second year slump that he is going through but it seems to me that there is far more to it than that.
Players better than Bozak are a dime a dozen at league minimum so I think the Leafs should offer him just that for a one year contract, take it or leave it. If he improves his play he will be rewarded with a new and more lucrative contract at that time..
I just can't imagine Leafs entering another season with Tyler Bozak as their number one center...I cringe ..lol
I don't see how anyone can say the talent's not there. The drive may not be, since he looks to be a checking line centre and he may not be willing to take the punishment/play the role, but his talent is there. Strong enough, more than quick enough and has the hands to do it.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:27 PM
leafsforever

we need to get a center in the offseason BAD.

leafsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
I don't see how anyone can say the talent's not there. The drive may not be, since he looks to be a checking line centre and he may not be willing to take the punishment/play the role, but his talent is there. Strong enough, more than quick enough and has the hands to do it.
I agree, too many people are watching the stat sheet rather than the game.

that being said, he really should not be kessel's center

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:50 PM
jimmycarter

He doesnt fit into the future? He has great chemistry with Army on the PK. I could see him replacing Sjostrom's role.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

It seems to be big offensive numbers that give players big money. Especially for forwards.

The things that Bozak is good at (which is certainly not offense), thousands of other players can also do for very very cheap.

He shouldn't make much more than league minimum.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:06 PM
shatner_rules
You're in Trouba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichangedmyname View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
When your linemates are phil kessel for the entire year and joey crabb for half the year. Yah, your plus minus is going to be pretty bad. For 3/4 of this year he was the only forward playing ANY sort of defense on his line.

Thanks for using one of the most if not the most overrated stat to try and prove some stupid point. It didn't work.
I was curious about this. You always point out the minuses when it comes to Bozak. So he's a -25. If he was the only player on the ice I could see how that would be his fault. But he's not, so what point are you trying to make? And don't just reply that he sucks. Give me an actual response.

shatner_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Sad Panda

He should get what Mac got this summer. Not a penny more than 1.1 per year. Be it a one year deal or a two year deal. Nothing longer than that until he can prove himself.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:17 PM
shatner_rules
You're in Trouba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Panda View Post
He should get what Mac got this summer. Not a penny more than 1.1 per year. Be it a one year deal or a two year deal. Nothing longer than that until he can prove himself.
Agreed.

Old
03-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I like how everyone hates him now and he brings nothing. Need I remind you what people said about Grabo just last summer?
It may very well be a sophomore slump IMO.

I would hope Bozak doesn't get signed for much more than 2 years @ 1.25 Per. Give him a chance to redeem himself.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatner_rules View Post
I was curious about this. You always point out the minuses when it comes to Bozak. So he's a -25. If he was the only player on the ice I could see how that would be his fault. But he's not, so what point are you trying to make? And don't just reply that he sucks. Give me an actual response.
I would say that +/- has to be taken with a grain of salt... to a certain degree.

When other players on the same team are +14, and Bozak is -25... well, that's a 40 goal difference.
That's very substantial.

It seems that whatever line Bozak is on, the whole lines +/- suffers miserably.

Is it just bad luck? Is it circumstance?
Who knows.
But one thing for sure is... when Bozak is on the ice, many more goals are being scored against us than for us.

Last edited by Disgruntled Observer*: 03-06-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 03:43 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I would say that +/- has to be taken with a grain of salt... to a certain degree.

When other players on the same team are +14, and Bozak is -25... well, that's a 40 goal difference.
That's very substantial.

Who knows.
But one thing for sure is... when Bozak is on the ice, many more goals are being scored against us than for us.

I agree....

The whole linemates excuse is pathetic....does it explain if he is playing first line minutes and pp time with Kessel who has double his points and more than double his goal totals? Doesn't it stand to reason if your linemates are putting up 50 pts and are -22....then so should you? Kessel is scoring goals..why isn't Bozak getting the assits at the very least? The guy is not even an NHL talent. If the Leafs had any depth at all..he would definitely be in the AHL...Cant run with guys like Bozak and Gustavsson simply because they are "good guys" This is not a social club that the Leafs are running.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwards67 View Post
What would you offer Tyler Bozak for his extension ?

He is currently making 2.85m with a bonus capable of hitting 3.725m

He is still an RFA.

I'm still thinking he's only deserving of a 1.75m, 2m or less is fine with me, and anything over 2.5m and I'd be shocked.

I was actually hoping that he'd be apart of a trade with one of the three that were moved before the deadline for a true 1st line center playmaker that the Leafs need for Kessel.

Kaberle, Bozak and Philly's 1st, for a Richards type trade. (hate throwing around Brad's name but it's just an example, though I hated losing Tomas)

So what would you offer Bozak, and what do you think Burke will offer and what do you think Bozak's agent thinks he deserves?

I've actually hated Bozak all season, he's hasn't even had a handful of good games. Other then he's strong on faceoffs, he's been horrible in his own zone, never finishes (which not sure why but Kessel was trying to pass too much when he wasn't playing well), isin't passing well all season, not that strong on the boards. Oh and somehow people think he's been the next coming of Jere Lehtinen or Mike Richards on the PK, I don't think so. (still near the bottom of the league in that category) I guess cause he's not atrocious as he was earlier in the season on the PK, it's time to reward him for not being terrible ?

But to go with all that, I actually loved his game last season, he was a terrific playmaker to go with Kessel's wrist shot, I almost thought he was the ying for his yang, but it hasn't been even remotely similar to that this season. Somehow they did just click for those 37 games last year, and it then vanished this season.

Bozak 09-10 - 37GP 8g 19a 27pts P/M -5
Bozak 10-11 - 65GP 10g 14a 24pts P/M -23

Wilson likes to stand behind guys he like I guess, he should have let Tyler sit in the press box at least a game or two this season.
700k 1 year NO negoation if he doesn't take it he can **** right off he has been AWFUL 14 games without a single POINT that is disgraceful he's a peice of crap

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 03:50 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
no more than 900 k 2 years around there

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 03:53 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
no more than 900 k 2 years around there
WAY overpaid`

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
fourofakindfowl

Bozak this year has only been good at two things: i) winning faceoffs ii) penalty kill. He is terrible defensively 5 on 5 and is constantly blowing his coverage and getting lost in the defensive zone. He has shown terrible offensive hockey sense this year. Every time he rushes the puck into the offensive zone he tries to make one of his 'nifty passes' that inevitably leads to a turnover. In order to be a good playmaker you need to make the opposing goaltender and defense unsure about what you are doing. You can't just try and force a pass every time you have the puck. If he wants to accomplish anything offensively in the NHL he is going to have to start shooting the puck a hell of a lot more.

Bozak is 25 years old in two weeks. It is probably worth resigning him in hopes that he turns his game around dramatically next season and can be traded as a valuable asset due to a low cap hit. At the same time, I won't be disappointed if he is replaced.

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Shak19

1.5 per on 2 year deal

Shak19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:16 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shak19 View Post
1.5 per on 2 year deal
I think we can do even better than that.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:23 PM
shatner_rules
You're in Trouba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post

That's very substantial.

Who knows.
I'm not going to argue with you on that one. Maybe ichangedmyname needs to take the pins out of his Bozak voodoo doll?

Old
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatner_rules View Post
I'm not going to argue with you on that one. Maybe ichangedmyname needs to take the pins out of his Bozak voodoo doll?
HEY , I have been all over bustzaks case since late november.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:19 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichangedmyname View Post
you're right, he is terrible defensively. As bad defensively as such well-known defensive liabilities as Daniel Alfredsson, David Clarkson, Mike Fisher.

Hell, before Sharp's linemates picked up their game, that bum was deep in the minuses too. Guy couldn't defend for ****.

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:21 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I don't see where Bozak fits in to our future. I think that Burke is going to acquire a first line center this year and with Grabovski as our 2nd line center and Kadri coming up (3rd line), then where will he fit? Grabo has really outplayed him this year and will certainly be back next year (and probably a few after that), so where does he actually fit? He's better than a 4th line center, so he'd have to be traded.
Kadri plays wing. People really need to get this into their heads.

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:25 PM
shatner_rules
You're in Trouba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
HEY , I have been all over bustzaks case since late november.
Feeling left out? Well, curse you then. Wait, on second thought I take that back; my Hungarian grandmother can only throw out so many curses.