HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visiting Vancouver

Old
03-06-2011, 02:30 PM
JerkChicken

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1084 View Post
His brother Kev

Used to post under habfan1084 then by the time I got back on hfboards he was on flames so I tried to stick w his current team hahah I'm 2 teams behind
Right on - I think you need a screen name change from "Flames1084" to "Canucks1084".

I'm was pumped to see the Canucks land your brother at the deadline. I think he'll be an important piece come the post-season.

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:39 PM
CamronGiles*

vCash: 500
Right on Kev, hope your brother enjoys playing for the canucks and I hope you enjoy the city. Hopefully the cup will be coming around your residence this summer

CamronGiles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Trolt

Arn't you a cop ?

Trolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:52 PM
HiggsBroson

Yeah, I definitely will need a change of screen name. Would love to see Chris re-sign here. It would be a great role for him, not to be pressured to produce offensively (but if he does it will help!) and be the quality player he has always been. I know he's really excited to get out there and play.

Yeah Im a NYPD cop, currently work in 18th pct in Hells Kitchen/Clinton area, on the west side of Manhattan. Work midnight shift so I'll be burning up my DVR cause of the time difference. Games start 10/1030 here and I got to be at work at 11. Bummer.

Take care,

Kev

HiggsBroson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Johnny Canucker

There is an awesome exibit on Hastings street, the cross street is main. They also sell lots of stuff there, so bring your money, although they only take cash

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:16 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
There is an awesome exibit on Hastings street, the cross street is main. They also sell lots of stuff there, so bring your money, although they only take cash
har har har

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:17 AM
cjcanucks

You should also walk into Chinatown and have a meal in one of the bakeries/restaurants. It's all close to Rogers Arena. Food is good and served by snarly waitresses - very authentic. You can pick up some really schlocky knick knacks and "Long Live Mao" T-shirts (I'm just hoping they weren't kidding about the translation). Hastings and Main is right there but I would suggest you avoid the "exhibit" or your training may kick into action. However, I have to say that the "ladies" and "gentlemen" in the area were super nice when I lost my earring along the sidewalk. Who thought pimps would scour the sidewalk for a dangly? And remember, they're Canadian, so much less aggressive than the U.S. version.

cjcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:44 AM
ChronBong*

hey man i would suggest lamplighter in gas town for st pattys day. its great. check it out. also if u feel like hitting the clubs, theres the modern quite near by.

ChronBong* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:27 AM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

In response to an earlier post Dix is closed and has been for a while.

If you're looking for brewpubs they're all pretty blah in Vancouver. If you want great beer & food check out the Alibi Room in gastown or a good brewpub Central City by the skytrain out in Surrey.

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Forever27

Granville Island might be a good place to go on St. Patty's day. The Backstage Lounge does $1.59 beers and 25 cent wings on thursdays, and St. Patty's is a thursday this year. And chances are if you're visiting Vancouver you'll want to see Granville Island anyway.

Blarney Stone would be great for St. Patty's obviously, except that it'll be packed and the lineup will probably stretch around the block.

Doolins downtown would also be a great place to go, they have great food. And also, Cieli's is good I hear.

Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1084 View Post
Wow thats impressive and really appreciate your input.

going with sort of a tight budget, getting married this july. i know i know

cant wait to see it, and drink it, all

Ummmm I dont wanna pry or anything, but your brother has ammassed millions of dollars in the last few years..........you would think he would be putting you up while you are here AT LEAST???

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:39 PM
cjcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Ummmm I dont wanna pry or anything, but your brother has ammassed millions of dollars in the last few years..........you would think he would be putting you up while you are here AT LEAST???
You're prying. Back away, back away!

Old
03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
HiggsBroson

Hahah yeah well of course that goes without saying but 1) he's an NHL player getting ready to return from injury and a playoff run so ill be flying solo sometime (esp when it comes to drinking) 2) I don't ask for handouts, regardless of his finianical situation 3) fiances are expensive

Thanks for all your help I can't wait to come

Kev

Old
03-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Wellwood You

Not sure if you've done this already, but if you're paying your own pay, at least get your brother to speak to the team about getting you a good rate at a hotel. Canucks' team hotel is the Sutton Place Hotel and one of the Vancouver must-do's is right outside the door - Japadog. Japanese styled hot dog cart which is a Vancouver institution.

The Sutton Place is pretty much right in the middle of downtown -- close to Robson Street.

Another good area to stay in is Yaletown, which is where a lot of the players live with their families. Tons of restaurants in the area. The Opus Hotel is located there and their restaurant, 100 Nights, is operated by the Rocksglass group, which Kesler and Edler have a stake in. Their room prices are usually a bit high, but I'm sure somebody in the organization can pull some strings for you to get you a better rate.

Regardless of where you stay, a couple things I do recommend is to rent some bicycles and take a ride along the Seawall and around Stanley Park, and also to take the Aquabus over to Granville Island.

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
cjcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellwood You View Post
Not sure if you've done this already, but if you're paying your own pay, at least get your brother to speak to the team about getting you a good rate at a hotel. Canucks' team hotel is the Sutton Place Hotel and one of the Vancouver must-do's is right outside the door - Japadog. Japanese styled hot dog cart which is a Vancouver institution.

The Sutton Place is pretty much right in the middle of downtown -- close to Robson Street.

Another good area to stay in is Yaletown, which is where a lot of the players live with their families. Tons of restaurants in the area. The Opus Hotel is located there and their restaurant, 100 Nights, is operated by the Rocksglass group, which Kesler and Edler have a stake in. Their room prices are usually a bit high, but I'm sure somebody in the organization can pull some strings for you to get you a better rate.

Regardless of where you stay, a couple things I do recommend is to rent some bicycles and take a ride along the Seawall and around Stanley Park, and also to take the Aquabus over to Granville Island.
Gosh yes. You have to do this. The organization will get you the best rate at the Sutton Place and don't hesitate to ask. Seriously. I completely forgot that my aunt and uncle got a really nice suite there via the Canucks at a ridiculously low rate - motel rates. They will do it without a second thought and this isn't something you have to feel bad about asking. It's pretty standard.

Old
03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
HiggsBroson

Hahah maybe I should elaborate a little. I dont want to give the impression Chris is sending me to the poorhouse when I get there. Yes he's a generous bro, always has been always will be. He's flying me out there and putting me up.

That being said, I'll be on my own a little up there when Chris does his own thing, so when it comes to that time I might be pulling on the purse strings a little tighter than normal (except March 17th )

Old
03-07-2011, 02:41 PM
sameer786

Wow, I can't believe someone actually pried into the family financials. Anyways Kev, like many people have said, the seawall and Stanley Park(make sure you check out the viewpoint of the Vancouver Skyline) are must-sees. Renting a bike and riding along definitely would be a good idea! Also if your adventurous, going up to Grouse Mountain will easily fill a day for ya. You can do the infamous Grouse Grind, go ziplining and/or take the cable car up the mountain. If you get a chance to rent a car or have someone willing to drive you around, you should check out the British Properties. Some of the nicest/biggest houses in Vancouver with a breathtaking view of everything(I believe a few celebrities also live up here). Again if your renting a car, you should DEFINITELY go up to Whistler for a day! Go up early in the morning, spend the day walking the village with the fiance. Lots to do there for sure! Would definitely get you some brownie points!

I have been to different states in the US, and apparently most Americans are unfamiliar with what poutines are. If you don't know, its fries with gravy and cheese(many of you locals might be surprised they don't know!), and its absolutely AMAZING. Probably the best place to try this would be Fritz(On Davie and Granville). You should also check out Gastown, it's a really cool area that has a lot of character! Cool place to maybe think about spending St. Patties also! If you and your wife want to do any shopping, Robson street has a long strip for that and there is also Pacific Centre mall, but I am pretty sure the shopping in New York is much better!

That is all I can think of off the top of my head, but if i think of anything else I will be sure to add it! Hope ya have a safe flight and trip!

sameer786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer786 View Post
I have been to different states in the US, and apparently most Americans are unfamiliar with what poutines are. If you don't know, its fries with gravy and cheese(many of you locals might be surprised they don't know!), and its absolutely AMAZING.
poutine is fries with chicken gravy and cheese CURDS. don't make the anglo mistake.

26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 05:55 PM
JBIZ14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 View Post
poutine is fries with chicken gravy and cheese CURDS. don't make the anglo mistake.
I hate fake poutine...mmmm cheese curds.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote