HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ben Holmstrom (loaned to Adirondack March 5)

Old
03-03-2011, 09:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Ben Holmstrom (loaned to Adirondack March 5)

RT @NHLFlyers: Per Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, the Flyers have recalled RW Ben Holmstrom from Adirondack.

Edited:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475603
  • Number: 34
  • Height: 6' 1"
  • Weight: 197
  • Shoots: Right
  • Born: Apr 9, 1987 (Age 23)
  • Birthplace: Colorado Springs, CO, United States

http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m...rom_ben00.html

Quote:
Personal
Benjamin Scott Holmstrom was born on April 9, 1987 in Colorado Springs, Colorado ... Son of Kevin and Michelle Holmstrom ... Has one younger brother, Josh ... Graduated from Doherty High School in 2005 ... Lists winning the Anderson Cup in 2006 with the Sioux Falls Stampede and capturing the Gold Medal with Team USA in the U-17 5 Nations Tournament as his greatest sports moments ... Chose UML because of the hockey program ... Is a Colorado Avalanche fan ... Lists former Avalanche Shjon Podein as his favorite athlete ... Favorite musical group is Bush ... Favorite movies include Miracle and Wedding Crashers ... Hobbies include ping-pong, Frisbee and golf ... Nickname is Benny ... Would like to continue playing hockey as long as possible.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-05-2011 at 10:20 AM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
hmmm. I don't like this. Not because of holmstrom, but as to who is out?

Betts still out with a cut finger?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:07 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Interesting. I know JVR and Carcillo can't go, but I figured Zherdev and Shelley would. Maybe Betts isn't quite ready afterall

Holmstrom looked good in camp on the 4th line.

We only get 4 callups from now until the playoffs, so I would hope Holmgren wouldn't call him up if he didn't need him.
How does he fit on the 23 man roster though?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:23 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
An added body most likely.

Per the CBA:

Quote:
23-man Roster
There may be a maximum of 23 players on each Club's playing roster at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline. Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its "Opening Day Playing Roster" which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders. Players on Injured Reserve do not count in the 23-man limit.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

This is pointless if he's not even going to play.

Wait, when did the roster limit disappear after the trade deadline? I never remember this to be the case. Didn't we have a whole big fiasco a couple years ago on this where we couldn't fit everyone?

Old
03-03-2011, 09:29 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Wait, when did the roster limit disappear after the trade deadline? I never remember this to be the case. Didn't we have a whole big fiasco a couple years ago on this where we couldn't fit everyone?
We had problems with the cap a couple of years ago. When David Sloane played for us on an ATO

Old
03-03-2011, 09:29 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Interesting. I know JVR and Carcillo can't go, but I figured Zherdev and Shelley would. Maybe Betts isn't quite ready afterall

Holmstrom looked good in camp on the 4th line.

We only get 4 callups from now until the playoffs, so I would hope Holmgren wouldn't call him up if he didn't need him.
How does he fit on the 23 man roster though?
I believe if a player is called up due to injuries (emergency recall - which may be if Betts/JVR/Carcillo are all out so they are short a roster player) it doesn't use up one of your callups.

Last edited by EasyMac: 03-03-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: MSE was quicker concerning roster size rules
EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

No - that fiasco was because Briere came back after a long term injury, played a conditioning stint in the minors and was then recalled. That put us over the cap and therefore Giroux had to be sent down and Upshall traded. I assume that is the one you are referring to?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It could be, there was a lot of them.

Here is the link to the 23-man limit:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

Old
03-03-2011, 09:48 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Big fan of Holmstrom, I'd like to see him get a look at the NHL level since he did so well in Training Camp

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Kinda sad that Wellwood wasn't called up instead. But still great to see young ones get a chance at the NHL level.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:26 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
No - that fiasco was because Briere came back after a long term injury, played a conditioning stint in the minors and was then recalled. That put us over the cap and therefore Giroux had to be sent down and Upshall traded. I assume that is the one you are referring to?
How did we roll Upshall-Briere-Giroux as a line then? We had enough room for Briere, he played multiple games before Upshall was traded. The problem was when Timonen got the flu and we needed a callup

Quote:
Kinda sad that Wellwood wasn't called up instead. But still great to see young ones get a chance at the NHL level.
Size thing probably.

Old
03-03-2011, 10:43 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
We don't need Wellwood to play on the fourth line, and Wellwood right now isn't beating out Nodl or Zherdev.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:52 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
How did we roll Upshall-Briere-Giroux as a line then? We had enough room for Briere, he played multiple games before Upshall was traded. The problem was when Timonen got the flu and we needed a callup
From an article after the deal went down:
However, there was more behind this move than that. By moving Upshall, who makes 1.2 million, and getting Carcillo, who makes 900,000, the Flyers freed up some cap space so they can have some wiggle room to move players up and down when injuries occur. This move keeps the Flyers from having to send Claude Giroux down again if they need another defenseman.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:54 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
From an article after the deal went down:
However, there was more behind this move than that. By moving Upshall, who makes 1.2 million, and getting Carcillo, who makes 900,000, the Flyers freed up some cap space so they can have some wiggle room to move players up and down when injuries occur. This move keeps the Flyers from having to send Claude Giroux down again if they need another defenseman.
Yeah, that is what I said. You implied that we traded Upshall when Briere came back, which we didn't.

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 03-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old
03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
Quotes from Laviolette:

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...kes-nhl-debut/

Quote:
“He impressed a lot of people in training camp with his work ethic, first and foremost,” he said. “He’s a real solid defensive player, works extremely hard on the ice and serves certain roles down in Adirondack killing penalties and faceoffs. We’ll probably utilize him in that role tonight.”

With the Flyers down Powe, a regular penalty killer and a forward who had been taking faceoffs in the absence of Blair Betts who will return to the lineup tonight, the spotlight will be on Holmstrom’s attributes in both categories.

“I think we’ll try him on the penalty kill and see how he does,” Laviolette said. “I mean that’s his role down in Adirondack, and he was good at it in camp and has done a good job this year. There’s an opportunity for him here.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Cleary84

Hopefully the flu bug only hit Carter.

Anyone know Holmstrom's ceiling? Haven't checked him out too much, I remember it being a favored signing.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:00 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
Hopefully the flu bug only hit Carter.

Anyone know Holmstrom's ceiling? Haven't checked him out too much, I remember it being a favored signing.
Under the radar signing really. More people talked about Testwuide and Gustafsson for good reason.

That said, Holmstrom's ceiling is lesser than Testwuide, but he's a similar player. I put Holmgren as a possible very good fourth liner, maybe a third liner in fill-in situations; kinda where Powe is now in terms of ceiling potential.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:00 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

I think he played well tonight

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:19 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Yea, he really did. Looks like he is gonna be a good player for us in the future.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:17 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Yea, he really did. Looks like he is gonna be a good player for us in the future.
I'm hoping that some of the other players we signed out of the CHL and NCAA can turn out to be as good as this guy because there's no risk and if you look at the guy we just signed(Akeson I think) he has really good stats and leads the OHL in scoring so we could have another good rookie signing if he keeps scoring like that in the NHL

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:54 AM
MiD

he was very good tonight, my friend, Pens fan, asked wtf is this new guy wearing #34... I didn't notice him in 3rd periond, did he take any shift?

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:02 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD View Post
he was very good tonight, my friend, Pens fan, asked wtf is this new guy wearing #34... I didn't notice him in 3rd periond, did he take any shift?
Quote:
In his NHL debut, Flyers Ben Holmstrom led the game with 5 hits in 8:06 minutes. Nodl, Meszaros and O'Donnell did not register one.
-Philabright

I didnt get to see the 3rd, but from the 8 minutes of play...I dont think he saw barely any time. Maybe a shift. He played 7 minutes in the 1st period alone.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Under the radar signing really. More people talked about Testwuide and Gustafsson for good reason.

That said, Holmstrom's ceiling is lesser than Testwuide, but he's a similar player. I put Holmgren as a possible very good fourth liner, maybe a third liner in fill-in situations; kinda where Powe is now in terms of ceiling potential.
The guy looks like a carbon copy of Betts, maybe throws the body around a little more. That can only be a good thing. He looked solid in pre-season.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Cleary84

Holmstrom played with a snarl last night. Didn't shy away from Phaneuf at all and was pretty good on the PK, I remembered one particular clear. Hope he gets a spot when Betts' contract is up.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote