HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers-Penguins

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2011, 03:50 AM
  #76
Human
cynic
 
Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bandwagon
Posts: 5,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Most Pens' fans are not heartbroken at that result.
like 99% of them...

also when Shero gets the call for trading Malkin he'll point out to the Stanley Cup banner for an answer...


Last edited by Human: 03-07-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:57 AM
  #77
Chraa
Registered User
 
Chraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ementy View Post
yeahh lets trade a guy who could be better than malkin,just as good or just under, is younger and we still have to add a **** ton? no freaking dice, pens fans are delusional.

Mps + 2011 1st is WAY more than enough, franchise player + future superstar for a dropping down over paid franchise player in Malkin.
Yes.. it's clearly the penguins fans who are delusional

Chraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:41 AM
  #78
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Hall could very well end up being the better player over time, wouldn't surprise me in the least. Let's check back in 15 years.
I highly doubt it.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:09 AM
  #79
kinghock
Registered User
 
kinghock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mahwah,NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chraa View Post
Yes.. it's clearly the penguins fans who are delusional

I am not a penguins fan, but I believe that Edmonton fans are delusional here.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:12 AM
  #80
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
I am not a penguins fan, but I believe that Edmonton fans are delusional here.
Chraa is a penguins fan.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:26 AM
  #81
laufer72
Ashburton Grove
 
laufer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,176
vCash: 500
Congratz, to "Roof Daddy":

Perfect HFBoards trade proposal of the week

User "Roof Daddy" has a real magnum opus here.

To PIT: Magnus Paajarvi(notes), Sam Gagner(notes), Ales Hemsky(notes)

To EDM: Evgeni Malkin(notes)

ALL SIDES SAY YES!


by Ryan Lambert


laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:14 AM
  #82
deanmoriarty
Registered User
 
deanmoriarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: great GOLD north
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I highly doubt it.
And with no good reason aside from personal, biased opinion. Like I said, give it time and we'll see. He shares all the tools and talents of the league's elite forwards. There are a number of young players in the NHL today who I think will end up being just as valuable, or more, over time. I certainly would not call Malkin a 'generational talent' at this point.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:21 AM
  #83
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
And with no good reason aside from personal, biased opinion. Like I said, give it time and we'll see. He shares all the tools and talents of the league's elite forwards. There are a number of young players in the NHL today who I think will end up being just as valuable, or more, over time. I certainly would not call Malkin a 'generational talent' at this point.
Malkin put up 80 points his rookie season and recorded the most points in a playoff run since Lemieux.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:26 AM
  #84
laufer72
Ashburton Grove
 
laufer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
And with no good reason aside from personal, biased opinion. Like I said, give it time and we'll see. He shares all the tools and talents of the league's elite forwards. There are a number of young players in the NHL today who I think will end up being just as valuable, or more, over time. I certainly would not call Malkin a 'generational talent' at this point.
Let's see......

Malkin's rookie season: 1.09 PPG

Hall's rookie season: 0.64 PPG

Hmmmmm............"just as valuable"!??!

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:19 PM
  #85
slapshots1515
Registered User
 
slapshots1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: United States
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ementy View Post
yeahh lets trade a guy who could be better than malkin,just as good or just under, is younger and we still have to add a **** ton? no freaking dice, pens fans are delusional.

Mps + 2011 1st is WAY more than enough, franchise player + future superstar for a dropping down over paid franchise player in Malkin.
So many problems.

A) I love how if a player lights it up at 19 he's a HOFer, and when that same player regresses a little bit at 23 he's an overpaid bust. Both sides are straight ridiculous.

B) MPS, for all his upside, has proven nothing. Zero. None. So that's a lot of "could".

C) There are these things called "busts"; not every first round pick is a future superstar.

D) Why would you care to have Malkin then?

E) If that's all it takes to get a franchise player, why don't all teams make these trades to get them?

F) I'm no Pens fan, I just found this totally ridiculous.

slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:44 PM
  #86
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Hall could very well end up being the better player over time, wouldn't surprise me in the least. Let's check back in 15 years.
No need to wait 15 yrs...

I really like Hall, but he doesn't have Malkin's talent and will never be the player he is.

When Hall can win a CS playing with the likes of Talbot and Feds as his linemates, you let me know.

When he posts back to back 100 point seasons, you let me know.

When he wins an Art Ross, you let me know.

Hall will be lucky to post 75-80 points a season when he is in his prime. To put that in perspective...

Malkin put up 85 points his rookie season.

Malkin put up 77 points last season playing with scrubs and missed 15 games, and it was considered a bad season for him.

He will never be In Malkin's class, I don't need 15 years to know that.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:46 PM
  #87
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,869
vCash: 179
Not a chance in hell Pittsburgh does this.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
  #88
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,606
vCash: 500
I would trade for Malkin but as normal fans would be expecting way to much so you can't even have a logical conversation. The original post was more than fair.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:45 PM
  #89
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 16,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I would trade for Malkin but as normal fans would be expecting way to much so you can't even have a logical conversation. The original post was more than fair.
Please explain how the OP was fair.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:51 PM
  #90
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate
 
Mo Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Palm Isle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I would trade for Malkin but as normal fans would be expecting way to much so you can't even have a logical conversation. The original post was more than fair.
I'd also like to hear your logic on how the original proposal was "more than fair".

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:54 PM
  #91
Futon
Registered User
 
Futon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
No need to wait 15 yrs...

I really like Hall, but he doesn't have Malkin's talent and will never be the player he is.

When Hall can win a CS playing with the likes of Talbot and Feds as his linemates, you let me know.

When he posts back to back 100 point seasons, you let me know.

When he wins an Art Ross, you let me know.

Hall will be lucky to post 75-80 points a season when he is in his prime. To put that in perspective...

Malkin put up 85 points his rookie season.

Malkin put up 77 points last season playing with scrubs and missed 15 games, and it was considered a bad season for him.

He will never be In Malkin's class, I don't need 15 years to know that.
I don't think you can say hall will nevr be in malkin's class, the potential is definatly there. I don't know how much you've seen hall play but he has the ability to completely take over games and gets a ton of scoring chances. You're seriously selling him short by saying he'll be lucky to post 75 points.

Futon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:11 AM
  #92
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetriser View Post
I don't think you can say hall will nevr be in malkin's class, the potential is definatly there. I don't know how much you've seen hall play but he has the ability to completely take over games and gets a ton of scoring chances. You're seriously selling him short by saying he'll be lucky to post 75 points.
I've seen close to 40 Oiler games this year, so ya, I've seen him play more than a few times.

Saying a guy will get 75-80 points in this league is not selling him short. How the hell is saying he may become a 40/40 guy a bad thing? Please....

We are lucky if a dozen guys a season put up those numbers. It puts him in a rare class.

Do you know how hard it is to post those kind of numbers?

Again, a little perspective.


Last edited by Modo: 03-09-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:48 AM
  #93
rigger
Registered User
 
rigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jessica Alba's Dream
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 8,950
vCash: 500
I don't think this is a bad proposal but I just don't think the Pens fans will go for it.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 02:39 PM
  #94
vocks10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
The only moronic thing in this thread is the fact that posters like yourself are trying to compare Hall to Malkin.

Malkin came into the NHL and put up 85 points, all while dealing with his "defection" from Russia and adjusting to a new culture, when he could barely speak English.

The last two seasons Malkin has been playing with absolute scrubs on his line who are as offensively retarded as they come, yet he still puts up points.
Granted I"m a biased Oiler fan who admits if Hall developed into a Malkin-like presence I would be thrilled (he has a way to go). But...

Dismissing Hall so outright and saying he essentially has no chance to be close to Malkin based on rookie year production is absurd. Yes he put up 85 points in his rookie year compared to 42 in 65 games for Hall, but his rookie year was 2 years after he was drafted. Playing in Russia his post draft year he recorded 32 points in 52 games. Add that to the fact in his rookie year (and since then) he has essentially been the Robin to Crosby's Batman. From which he plays the PP with Crosby and occasionally is a linemate. Hall came into the league as an 18 year old where none of his linemates are close to a Crosby talent.

As you for "defection" argument, I counter you with the fact that Hall was the #1 pick in a hockey-crazed city, the focal point of a TV show (Oil Change) and is constantly under the microscope. Is one a bigger influence than the other? Possibly but it is arguable and you must acknowledge the other side of coin.

He has work to do in order to reach his potential obviously, but can he match Malkins impact, yes. I am not comparing one to the other, it's almost always impossible due to individual situations, however Hall has a chance to be there at Malkins level and us Oiler fans can dream right?

vocks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM
  #95
Liferleafer
RIP Pat
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
Why would you want Jeff Tambellini?
Not Jeff...his son. (much better prospect)

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:28 PM
  #96
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocks10 View Post
Granted I"m a biased Oiler fan who admits if Hall developed into a Malkin-like presence I would be thrilled (he has a way to go). But...
I am also an Oiler fan - have been for almost 15 years now.

Quote:
Dismissing Hall so outright and saying he essentially has no chance to be close to Malkin based on rookie year production is absurd. Yes he put up 85 points in his rookie year compared to 42 in 65 games for Hall, but his rookie year was 2 years after he was drafted. Playing in Russia his post draft year he recorded 32 points in 52 games.
Points come at a premium in the RSL, so I wouldn't be even bringing those stats into the conversation.

Quote:
Add that to the fact in his rookie year (and since then) he has essentially been the Robin to Crosby's Batman. From which he plays the PP with Crosby and occasionally is a linemate. Hall came into the league as an 18 year old where none of his linemates are close to a Crosby talent.
Malkin has proven himself with Crosby out of the lineup and trying to point to Crosby as the reason for his success is way off base bro.

Quote:
As you for "defection" argument, I counter you with the fact that Hall was the #1 pick in a hockey-crazed city, the focal point of a TV show (Oil Change) and is constantly under the microscope. Is one a bigger influence than the other? Possibly but it is arguable and you must acknowledge the other side of coin.
That's fine, but I'd still argue going through what Malkin did was much more difficult.

At least Hall can speak with his teammates and communicate with them.

Playing hockey without being able to utter more than a few words to your teammates is an extremely difficult transition... then throw in an entirely new culture... and the way he had to be snuck away from Metallurg...

I can't say I see the two situations as comparable. Tons of other highly regarded picks have had to deal with what Hall did - it isn't that uncommon of a thing for #1 picks.

Quote:
He has work to do in order to reach his potential obviously, but can he match Malkins impact, yes. I am not comparing one to the other, it's almost always impossible due to individual situations, however Hall has a chance to be there at Malkins level and us Oiler fans can dream right?
The irony of this is that I am giving Hall a ton of credit by saying he could be an 80 point player, which makes him pretty elite. But somehow that is an insult to him because I don't think he is a rare talent like Malkin.

Hall has the look of a really good player, but not a top 5 player in the entire league like Malkin.

When Hall can win a CS or Art Ross by 23 again, let me know.

Not only that, but let's see him do it playing with offensively retarded players like Malkin had to do.

Doing what Malkin did at his age is highly impressive. Doing what Malkin did with the severe lack of talent on his wings makes it all the more impressive and shows how ridiculously talented he really is.

Sorry - but comparing Hall to Malkin is an insult to what Malkin has accomplished and belittles his talent level. Period.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:43 PM
  #97
Futon
Registered User
 
Futon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I've seen close to 40 Oiler games this year, so ya, I've seen him play more than a few times.

Saying a guy will get 75-80 points in this league is not selling him short. How the hell is saying he may become a 40/40 guy a bad thing? Please....

We are lucky if a dozen guys a season put up those numbers. It puts him in a rare class.

Do you know how hard it is to post those kind of numbers?

Again, a little perspective.



I'm a moron because I don't expect every #1 pick to put up 100 point seasons... the irony. Think before you type.

So basically you assume Hall is going to be potting 50-60 goals a season, because he is never going to be a 65-70 assist guy.

A #1 pick like Kane has never broken 90 points and he is an elite playmaker, which I can't ever see Hall becoming.

How many guys broke 50 goals the last few years again? 4? Hall doesn't have a deadly shot like Stamkos, so I don't see him becoming a 50 goal guy, but hey I don't live in a fantasy world either so...
so you think hall will only get 15 more points in his prime than whathe was on pace for this year?

Futon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 06:19 PM
  #98
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetriser View Post
so you think hall will only get 15 more points in his prime than whathe was on pace for this year?
Well I could place unrealistic expectations on him and assume he will be a 95-100 point guy, but I like to be realistic seeing as how a very small handful of players have done that in the last several years.

I haven't seen anything in Hall to suggest he is going to be putting up those kind of numbers on a consistent basis.

Again, for the 5th time, projecting him to be an 80 point guy is a compliment.

Expecting him to score more than that is completely unrealistic and very unlikely to happen.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:29 PM
  #99
vocks10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Points come at a premium in the RSL, so I wouldn't be even bringing those stats into the conversation.
Fine, I was just comparing stats for each the year after they were drafted. I don't think Malkin would have put up 85 in his first year in the NHL after being drafted (had been an NHL ).

Quote:
Malkin has proven himself with Crosby out of the lineup and trying to point to Crosby as the reason for his success is way off base bro.
I'm not saying he is dependent on Crosby, just that it's a lot easier to put up points with someone like Crosby on your team and that is undeniable. Case and point in the Finals Babcock didn't know which C to match lines with his Zetterberg/Datysuk line, matched with Crosby most of the series, lost the series to Pitts and Malkin won the CS in a big part because of his performance in that series. You seem to put a lot of stock into the dead weight wingers, but his high point seasons the team did have wingers like Malone, Sykora, Recchi, Hossa (granted for 1/2 season) who cycled through as his linemates, not to mention the occasional time (and PP time) with Sid. Not that they are Jagr like (well Crosby and Hossa are) but not exactly chopped liver all the time (recently though, an emphatic yes from me).

Quote:
Tons of other highly regarded picks have had to deal with what Hall did - it isn't that uncommon of a thing for #1 picks.
You can't compare what Tavares, Stamkos, etc had to deal with to what Hall had to in Edmonton even remotely. I'm not saying what Malkin went through was a walk in the park, just that both athletes had a ton to deal with when playing their rookie seasons. You can't use one as proof of your point and ignore the other.

Quote:
When Hall can win a CS or Art Ross by 23 again, let me know.
You can't fault Hall for this, look at the teams. One had Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar, Fleury, Staal, Recchi. The other, Hall, Whitney (also on those Pens teams coincidentally), Hemsky (for half a season), and as big a fan I am of the Oilers youth they aren't on the same page. Put Malkin on the Islanders, Rangers, Coyotes teams from that draft year and I'll argue he doesn't have either trophy. He got drafted into a good situation in Pitts and to his full credit took advantage and the league by storm.

Quote:
Sorry - but comparing Hall to Malkin is an insult to what Malkin has accomplished and belittles his talent level. Period.
Again, I was not comparing. I try to refrain from that because no 2 situations are alike, it's all just speculation (which is what HF is great for). But I think you're overvaluing Malkin. He can be a top 5 talent but I'll argue in the past 2 years he's maybe been top 10 and that's generous (in fact I could rattle 10 other players I'd rather have on my team this point going forward than Malkin). Give Hall 3-4 years and I think (hope) he will be considered a top 15 player. And while I agree Malkin might have more talent, the competitiveness and drive in Hall is what makes me so optimistic of his future.

I agree with you in 80 points is a compliment and nothing to sneeze at as I would be extremely happy with it as Halls production. Those other points we simply disagree on. My main issue is the dismissal you have for Hall after 65 games and the pedestal Malkin is on. Malkin can be a great player who has some great accolades, but to emphatically say Hall won't ever hold a jockstrap to him (and is an insult comparing Hall to Malkin) after 3/4 of a season for those reasons is unfair.

vocks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:36 PM
  #100
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,258
vCash: 500
People who argue that Malkin was a product of his situation in Pittsburgh always conveniently forget to mention that Malkin has outproduced Ovechkin at every single international tournament they've both played in since 2006.

Boom.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.