HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brisebois trade proposal

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2004, 09:42 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Brisebois trade proposal

Brisebois and Ward to Boston for Lapointe. Then sign Sean Hill and Kovalev (I guess).

Old
07-02-2004, 09:58 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
If Hill & Kovalev were a given to sign, I'd do it, yeah.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Brisebois and Ward to Boston for Lapointe. Then sign Sean Hill and Kovalev (I guess).
No way id do that. Hill is old, and getting older. Ward, i like him. He works his *** off, and will be an excellent third liner with Bonk and Bulis. He will add some grit to that line. As for breezy, well i dont mind seeing him go, but i say keep him for another year, because after Markov, and possibly Souray we have no more puck moving D. Ya i know, hes not that great at moving the puck, but he is not that bad, and gets the job done when he keeps his game simple and has a reduced role. If this was Breezy for Lapoint, id do it, and then sign Alexie Zhitnik, a younger, more mobile, yet physical enough compared to hill, but thats just me!

I say keep what we got, a young ward, and our longest serving Hab, Breezy. When he leaves next summer, we can sign another younger D then Hill.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Guig

Quote:
No! Lapointe have a too big contract for what he can bring to the team.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Mike8

Can't see Boston doing that.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:25 PM
tinyzombies

Boston might do it if we through Ward in there. He played decent in the playoffs against them and that penalty shot goal he scored on them might stick in their head. He won the AHL scoring title. He hits and has grit and good hands too. He's basically a Bruin-type player.

Our lines with Lapointe, Kovalev and Hill:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Hossa
Bulis-Bonk-Lapointe
Higgins/Langdon-Plekanec-Begin

Souray-Hill
Markov-Komisarek
Hainsey-Rivet
Bouillon

Theodore/Huet

Assuming Komisarek can improve enough to hold the #4 job, that team could be a contender imo. If not, Rivet is a passable #4 and drop Komi to the third pairing.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Boston might do it if we through Ward in there. He played decent in the playoffs against them and that penalty shot goal he scored on them might stick in their head. He won the AHL scoring title. He hits and has grit and good hands too. He's basically a Bruin-type player.

Our lines with Lapointe, Kovalev and Hill:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Hossa
Bulis-Bonk-Lapointe
Higgins/Langdon-Plekanec-Begin

Souray-Hill
Markov-Komisarek
Hainsey-Rivet
Bouillon

Theodore/Huet

Assuming Komisarek can improve enough to hold the #4 job, that team could be a contender imo. If not, Rivet is a passable #4 and drop Komi to the third pairing.

So then why give up ward, whos young and can provide many years of services for a vet whos gona give us limited time??

Old
07-02-2004, 11:31 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
So then why give up ward, whos young and can provide many years of services for a vet whos gona give us limited time??
Good point. Maybe just because I don't like Ward?

Old
07-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Habs4ever

not to mention we need top liner more then

Quote:

deadwood like, he's done nothing in Boston sop far, and he makes $5 M for that, there no way i'd even trade Breezy for him, as bad as you guys make Breezy out to be he's still core of this team, much more valuable then lapoint can ever be.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Good point. Maybe just because I don't like Ward?
LOL!

Oh the hate you have. Kovalev, Kovalev, Kovalev, Kovalev, and now Ward.

Im gona predict the next trend......you hate Ward, Ward, Ward, Ward!!!!!!

haha!

Old
07-02-2004, 11:35 PM
tinyzombies

Personally, I don't care about years of services. I want to take a shot at the cup and clear out the deadwood.

Ward is taking up a spot that anyone can fill. Lapointe brings grit, leadership, strength, attitude that we BADLY need.

Not sure how Mikey Ribs would like this idea tho....lol

Old
07-02-2004, 11:38 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
LOL!

Oh the hate you have. Kovalev, Kovalev, Kovalev, Kovalev, and now Ward.

Im gona predict the next trend......you hate Ward, Ward, Ward, Ward!!!!!!

haha!
I don't hate him. He just sucks.

We need players with an attitude. The other poster said that Brisebois is more important than Lapointe. What planet are you living on?? We could pick almost anyone up to fill Brisebois' shoes.

Just because Boston gave Lapointe $5 million dollars doesn't mean he isn't an effective player. They thought he was a 30 goal scorer. But that was with Detroit where they can roll four lines and wear the other team down.

I want Lapointe for the role he was born to play - agitator supreme! And he knows how to win too.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Personally, I don't care about years of services. I want to take a shot at the cup and clear out the deadwood.

Ward is taking up a spot that anyone can fill. Lapointe brings grit, leadership, strength, attitude that we BADLY need.

Not sure how Mikey Ribs would like this idea tho....lol
If this were 3 to 4 years down the road, where guys like Perezhogan, Kastitsyn, and Higgins, etc were regulars and had some experience, id say go for it. No point in doing it now, we are not cup contenders, on paper anyways that is. Lapoint would cost a lot of cash. Around 4 mill a year i believe. That would mean we would have to pay Bonk and Lapoint a grand total of 7.5 mill to play on the third line. Ward may not bring leadership, but he does bring a simular game to lapoint for 1/4 of the price. That extra 3/4 of the cash that could have potentially have been spent on Lapoint can now be spent on getting a good first line right winger for Koivu. A much bigger need imo, than another thrid line right winger. Our problem up the midle is solved, just the right wing on the first line left now, and gainey will do something with the cash available!

Old
07-02-2004, 11:46 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
If this were 3 to 4 years down the road, where guys like Perezhogan, Kastitsyn, and Higgins, etc were regulars and had some experience, id say go for it. No point in doing it now, we are not cup contenders, on paper anyways that is. Lapoint would cost a lot of cash. Around 4 mill a year i believe. That would mean we would have to pay Bonk and Lapoint a grand total of 7.5 mill to play on the third line. Ward may not bring leadership, but he does bring a simular game to lapoint for 1/4 of the price. That extra 3/4 of the cash that could have potentially have been spent on Lapoint can now be spent on getting a good first line right winger for Koivu. A much bigger need imo, than another thrid line right winger. Our problem up the midle is solved, just the right wing on the first line left now, and gainey will do something with the cash available!
That's why if you trade Brisebois for Lapointe, they cancel each other out.

We are at least two UFA's away from being a real contender, I think we all agree on that.

For me, Brisebois does not fill a hole or do a job, he is deadwood in the lineup and needs to be cleared away. But we do need a #2 Dman... SEAN HILL!

Our main weaknesses are hands/vision on defense and a scoring winger.

My idea shores up both weaknesses, but will cost $3-4 million over budget. Not a bad price to pay to win the CUP!!!!!!!!

Old
07-02-2004, 11:51 PM
Mooch

Quote:

We are at least two UFA's away from being a real contender, I think we all agree on that.

For me, Brisebois does not fill a hole or do a job, he is deadwood in the lineup and needs to be cleared away. But we do need a #2 Dman... SEAN HILL!

My idea shores up both weaknesses, but will cost $3-4 million over budget. Not a bad price to pay to win the CUP!!!!!!!!

Yes, but we still got youth that need experience.....

Ribs
Ryder
Komo
Markov (to some extent)
Ward

These guys are the core, yet they are all inexperienced. I dont think one or two UFA will put us over the top yet. Thats why i dont think Lapoint is worth it. Thats just me though, i may be wrong!

Old
07-02-2004, 11:54 PM
Habs4ever

You say Breezy is deadwood but I beg to differ

Quote:

Briseboise has played safe and consistent game, we made playoff with him, with your thinking you'll say after 10 games that hill is deadwood.

Ward is exactly what BG looking for, thats why you are seeing Dackell, Sundstorm, Juneau let go because BG is building great energy line and I feel begin, Ward bring that intencity we need to keep pushing, and those guys work their butt off to get resuts, if anything you should think about building future from within rather then looking outside the box, Toronto has been buying players for how many years now, not to mention they pay big money compared to out minor signings.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:56 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Yes, but we still got youth that need experience.....

Ribs
Ryder
Komo
Markov (to some extent)
Ward

These guys are the core, yet they are all inexperienced. I dont think one or two UFA will put us over the top yet. Thats why i dont think Lapoint is worth it. Thats just me though, i may be wrong!
We won the Cup in 86 with 8 rookies I think. This will be a turnover year. Look at all the old guys Toronto is signing. All the teams are going to go down...

I think it's the year to take a shot.

Tampa Bay can be beaten, we just need to fill in our holes on defense. We can skate with that team!

Ottawa will get Hasek, that's a disaster for them!

We can do it THIS YEAR>

Old
07-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Mooch

Quote:
We won the Cup in 86 with 8 rookies I think. This will be a turnover year. Look at all the old guys Toronto is signing. All the teams are going to go down...

I think it's the year to take a shot.

Tampa Bay can be beaten, we just need to fill in our holes on defense. We can skate with that team!

Ottawa will get Hasek, that's a disaster for them!

We can do it THIS YEAR>

Well, that was back in the 80's, when it was overall easier to score, and where there was more room due to smaller players and no traps. The game has changed, we havent seen a rookie team win a cup in the 90's.

Old
07-03-2004, 10:19 AM
skidboot

Quote:

I would deal Ward and Breezer for Lapointe in a nanosecond.

Old
07-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Habs4ever

What the hell has ward done to get booted out of Montreal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot
I would deal Ward and Breezer for Lapointe in a nanosecond.
Begin was very important part of montreal last year, was he top six material no is he effective yes. Similarly Ward makes descent money and plays hard we know he's not top six material but we don't need him to be he's gone be great checking forward with great intencity and somewhat physical what more do you want, I advice you to reevaluate your thinking if you were the GM Ryder wouldn't even have lasted long enough to get his first breakout season in NHL.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:08 AM
skidboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Begin was very important part of montreal last year, was he top six material no is he effective yes. Similarly Ward makes descent money and plays hard we know he's not top six material but we don't need him to be he's gone be great checking forward with great intencity and somewhat physical what more do you want, I advice you to reevaluate your thinking if you were the GM Ryder wouldn't even have lasted long enough to get his first breakout season in NHL.

Lapointe is the best player in the deal if this was to go down. Yes he has a hefty salary but dealing Breezer and Ward evens it out alot. What he does much better than Ward is working the corners and playing the front of the net. He really bangs in the corners. I had nightmares about watching him beat on the Habs during the Habs/Bruins series. He was going nuts out there. He's one of the better fighters IMO.

He's been a leader on every team he's ever played on. He'd be a leader on the Habs also.
He can pop goals.

And why do you say that I would of dealt Ryder? I like to think that I assess players based on their performance. Ryder is a player.

How much longer do you say that we wait on Ward to reach his "ceiling"?
We have a few Wingers who in a year or so are really going to be pushing for a job (or at least I would like to think they are).

Lapointe for Ward and Breezer......done.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:58 AM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
if we ever get lapointe im going to cheer for another team for sure... the guy is an ******* and doesnt have any respect for ribeiro... his house can burn 130 times again and i wouldnt be satisfied

Old
07-03-2004, 01:12 PM
arsobro

In another thread, we discussed about the fact that the habs have 4 millions left to top the salary cap of 45 millions. With your line-up, we bust it easily.

Another point, Boston will never make a major trade with Montreal

End of the thread.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:41 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Lapointe is done. If he can't produce with players like Thorton and samsonov, what makes you think he can do anything with us. Get him for 500 000 no more, then I would consider him in any way.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Marksman

Quote:

I dont quite follow you there... trading Brisebois+Ward for Lapointe and having to add defenceman to replace Brisebois will cost 3-4 million. Our RFA need new contracts that will eat up to 2M plus there would still be hole to fill 3/4th line RW. That pretty much guarantees we wont be signing Kovalev - now are you saying Lapointe is that scoring winger we need?

Closed Thread