HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Canucks - 03/05/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
To a large extent it's true... Penner is a grinder. Guys not built for a fast moving transition game. He's all about puck control and battles on the boards and in front of the net. I think of him as a gigantic less skilled version of Ryan Smyth.

No, he's not. I think that is why he gets so much grief from fans. He's a big body, so he must be a grinder. He's a finese player who just happens to be huge and can lean on defenders to make plays. He's not a grinder and never will be (unless he end up in Murray's doghouse).

Old
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
To a large extent it's true... Penner is a grinder. Guys not built for a fast moving transition game. He's all about puck control and battles on the boards and in front of the net. I think of him as a gigantic less skilled version of Ryan Smyth.
He's more skilled than Smyth. Not as gritty though and I don't think he has the mentality to be that way. As strong as he is, he falls down a lot when battling for the puck. He seems to be best when the team enters the zone with speed despite not being overly quick. If he winds up being turned into a grinder we're ****ed.

Old
Cruel11
Harley Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Truth hurts. Luongo flops like a fkn fish...

So much you can say about their team....

Old
03-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
I saw him glued to the half board for 12 minutes , other than that, didn't notice him
Can't get on him for what Kompon and Murray want him to do. That is they PP system they run. Shots from the point and hope for something good.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Takumi3000

To disappoint some LA fans, Canucks actually have never choked since the lockout:

2006-07 Anaheim 110P Vancouver 105P - Cup Champions Anaheim
2008-09 Chicago 104P Vancouver 100P - Conference Final Chicago
2009-10 Chicago 112P Vancouver 103P - Cup Champions Chicago

Actually 2/3 teams they lost to won the Cup those years so every other team also choked as well if you want to put it that way.

They lost to Chicago as well but if you look at total points, Hawks finished with more.

By definition, you are only defined as a choker if you finish with more points and lose to a team with less points. Biggest examples of chokers in recent years include Red Wings, Sharks, and Caps.

Also don't compare the Vancouver team to the pre-lockout era because they iced two different teams.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:05 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Kopitar has slowly turned into a grinder. Imagine that.
A 7 million dollar one at that.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:06 PM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Now I want to hear the cash registers ring as DL gives his interview...

Old
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Kopitar has slowly turned into a grinder. Imagine that.
I remember when he actually had skills, now every attempt just gets pokechecked away, that's when he's not too busy gliding around the boards of course. At first I thought he's just following Murray's system a bit too strictly but then it hit me when he was backchecking at the ASG, he looks like he isn't having any fun playing the game, like he completely lost the excitement for the game.

Or is it?

Old
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi3000 View Post
To disappoint some LA fans, Canucks actually have never choked since the lockout:

Actually 2/3 teams they lost to won the Cup those years so every other team also choked as well if you want to put it that way.

They lost to Chicago as well but if you look at total points, Hawks finished with more.

By definition, you are only defined as a choker if you finish with more points and lose to a team with less points. Biggest examples of chokers in recent years include Red Wings, Sharks, and Caps.

Also don't compare the Vancouver team to the pre-lockout era because they iced two different teams.
nice of you to post facts that they do infact choke

Old
03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
wicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Can't get on him for what Kompon and Murray want him to do. That is they PP system they run. Shots from the point and hope for something good.
It can be said that Kopitar is doing exactly what he is being told to do. If he were to do anything else, he would be veering away from the system, and we can't have that, can we.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I think I've lost count, but does that make (in the realm of) 5 points in the standings that were lost to us due to poor officiating? There was Hanzal's high-stick tip in (otherwise, the game goes to OT and we get a point), Smyth's disallowed non-high-stick goal, and now this. We should have 79-81 points already except for the refs. Thanks.
8...and I've been keeping close track...

Old
03-05-2011, 07:08 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:

Whatever helps you sleep at night, bro. ChOKE!!!!

Old
03-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Takumi3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
nice of you to post facts that they do infact choke
Well I guess 15/16 teams choke every year then!

Old
03-05-2011, 07:10 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
You are so damn insecure. Go back to your own board.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Cruel11
Harley Quinn

Quote:
See you guys at the golf course.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

So many things wrong with the PP that needs to be addressed, and I think this goes beyond the player personnel on the ice (although they aren't helping the cause).

#1: Zone entry on the PP. It is terrible. They have three forwards lined up at the blueline with the dman leading the rush. The opposing penalty killers just simply have to align four bodies at the blueline, and what does that do? Force the Kings to dump the puck and chase with zero speed. And as usual, the opposing goalie or defender gains control of the puck right as soon as the Kings dump it in.

#2: Passing. They are spread too damn far apart. Just look at their breakout from their own zone. They attempt a long bomb pass from their own end of the blueline or defensive zone right to a forward at the opposite offensive zone blueline. Of course there is a penalty killer awaiting for that pass to connect, so the forward who gains possession of the puck has limited options. They usually dump it in or try another pass across the blueline and enter the offensive zone with little speed. Look at how little puck movement there is in their entries into the offensive zone.

#3: Puck support. Again, the players are too damn far apart. The players need to provide support for one-another on the man-advantage, but alas, they don't take advantage of the situation. If they provided more support with passes in tight spaces, they'd be able to spread out the penalty killers a hell of a lot more than just standing around in four corners and passing the puck around looking for the high shot.

#4: Options. Here's where their alignment fails. They have a player on the half wall controlling the puck, and his two passing options are going back to the point or back down deep to another player along the low corner boards. Everything is thus kept to the outside with a forward stationed in front of the net. There is little options present due to their alignment. They also stand idly with most of the movement coming from the two pointmen.

#5: Shots. The Kings always go to the point to generate shots, and more often than not, those point shots are well covered. How often do you see the Kings try to penetrate the middle of the ice and setup a shot from the high slot? This is one of the many factors that makes the Kings PP so damn predictable and easy to read from opposing coaches and penalty killers.

So who is to blame? I hold accountability to high regard, and this starts from the top with the coaching staff and goes down to the players as well. They need to know who is capable of carrying the puck (which should be Kopitar, Doughty or Johnson, not Stoll or Handzus or Smyth or Brown). Their strategy is to make two passes and then get the shot off. They do not draw out plays involving more than three players, which is usually the center and his two point men, leaving the other forward as a decoy and the remaining forward as a screen.

It is frustrating to see the same tired old strategy being utilized over and over, even when it is clearly not working for them. One can only hope that Lombardi wises up and replaces this incompetent coaching staff after the Kings are quickly eliminated (if they get to the playoffs). This team has given up many points due to their inept powerplay and today's loss can be pinned on their inability to convert on any man-advantage situations.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
no, there is just something to take note of when a team consistently gets booted out of the playoffs before the final when they are expected to do well each year

You seem to be trying to convince yourself more than everyone else

Old
03-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

No, he's not. I think that is why he gets so much grief from fans. He's a big body, so he must be a grinder. He's a finese player who just happens to be huge and can lean on defenders to make plays. He's not a grinder and never will be (unless he end up in Murray's doghouse).

Yea... like a less skilled (hopefully more dedicated) Frolov. Guy who can puck control but not necessarily make a big hit. Guy with a shot and size but not speed. That's what a grinder is.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Takumi3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
You are so damn insecure. Go back to your own board.
Your right. But I think LA and Van have similiar histories so we both need some Stanley Cups!

Old
03-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Put Loki back on the pp, he was constantly buzzing from high slot, to low slot, to infront of the net, to behind the net, to the half boards. He never stood in a place, he always looked to get to somewhere where there was space for him to receive a pass. oh no wait...forgot that he was too good for the big club.

Maybe the Kings should start running the pp through 1 of the dmen instead of through Kopitar, or as crazy as it may seem, maybe take Kopitar off the top unit? Whenever someone has the puck at the moment, their first instinct is to work it to the half boards for Kopitar to control. Maybe without that option, Drew and Jack will actually do something productive

Id be happy with Drew and Jack running 1 pp, and Kopitar-Amart-Williams running the other

Old
03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Why I don't understand is why our PP hasn't changed despite the fact that it rarely works? All we do is switch up who's on the PP, but not how it's approached. Standing still and passing it back and forth is not going to work in today's NHL. And to think that last season in the playoffs, our PP was a beast.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Cruel11
Harley Quinn

The power play was awesome in the playoffs, because the guys were doing their own thing. They really weren't listening to Kompon, they did what felt right.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
He's more skilled than Smyth.

Not to be to pedantic but I think that on nearly every measurable hockey skill Ryan Smyth is a better player then Penner. He's more of a goal scorer, better passer, better shot, tougher, and I think he has much of a pure hockey sense. Smyth is near the end of his career and has roughly the same points as Penner while giving up nearly a decade.

That's the problem with Smyth he knows what to do and still has the feel for the game but he's physically not to the point. Penners going to be fine, no problem with him, but he'll never have the career that Smyth has or did.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:26 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Wow.. I'm kind of pissed I missed this game, it really sucks. It was a huge 2 points that we missed out on, all the other teams that we're fighting against seems like get a win every single game and we're losing

Old
03-05-2011, 07:30 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
may i make a suggestion

Go create a topic on the Oiler board called "Penner is a grinder" and 99.9% of the responses will be about maybe in the bedroom or when making a deal at the local corner veggie place--but not on the ice

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Closed Thread