HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Canucks - 03/05/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

vCash: 500
Awards:
Please don't respond to these people. Report instead.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Not to be to pedantic but I think that on nearly every measurable hockey skill Ryan Smyth is a better player then Penner. He's more of a goal scorer, better passer, better shot, tougher, and I think he has much of a pure hockey sense. Smyth is near the end of his career and has roughly the same points as Penner while giving up nearly a decade.

That's the problem with Smyth he knows what to do and still has the feel for the game but he's physically not to the point. Penners going to be fine, no problem with him, but he'll never have the career that Smyth has or did.
Smyth definitely was and much of the time still is a better player than Penner. I don't think he's as skilled though. Penner's hands and ability on the puck right now is very strong, Smyth's is starting to slip away from him. I hope both guys are on our LW past 2012 though.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I hope both guys are on our LW past 2012 though.
Going to be fun after next year! Two UFA LW and god knows who can fill in from the Minors.

I suppose it's WAY to early to think about yet but it's a bit strange how few good top UFA are on the market these days.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Lombardi needs to get fined again!
Funny how they fined Lombardi, but Torts comments the other night go unnoticed. Not as extreme as Lombardi, but none the less.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:49 PM
God
Free Citizen

Looking at the replay, Burrows made minor contact with Quick, but I should stress minor and that Quick was able to slide over before being stopped by his own defensemen.

Daniel Sedin - maybe a penalty, maybe not. It was a very weak push and Doughty shouldn't have gone down unless he was in a bit of an awkward position leaning forward (it's hard to explain if you've never played hockey before).

Old
03-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Looking at the replay, Burrows made minor contact with Quick, but I should stress minor and that Quick was able to slide over before being stopped by his own.
That is enough contact to disallow the goal. The Kings have lost goals with less contact. The ref doesn't have to call a penalty to disallow the goal.

But God has spoken, it must be so.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

WTF is with all of the Canucks fans coming over here? Where were they when the Kings were 2-0 in October against the Canucks?

Old
03-05-2011, 08:58 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... I don't want to say anything about the damned officiating. Winners don't ***** about the refs. The scoreboard is the only thing that counts when it's all said and done.

The Kings just lost to a better team, a team that in my opinion is the best in the NHL. I didn't expect the Kings to go undefeated against them this season. Vancouver will probably win it all this season, and I think that they deserve it.

Quick was very good, and he didn't deserve to lose. It's easy to point a finger at Kopitar, but I won't do it because his linemates change every 15 minutes. I don't blame Doughty or anyone else on the team for their outbursts. The playoff race is coming down to the wire, and emotions are gonna run hot. That's the nature of the season.

This race isn't over yet. The Kings will be alright. I wrote this off as a loss, and I'm not really even upset about it. A lot can change in the next 5 to 10 games. I'm over this one.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
WTF is with all of the Canucks fans coming over here? Where were they when the Kings were 2-0 in October against the Canucks?
Anyone is welcome, as long as they're civil...God's post was a good example of being civil, we don't have to agree with one another but civility is the key.

But if opposing fans want to call our players divers or anything, they have their own board to do that on. If they want to bash on our city they should do that on their board.

Old
03-05-2011, 09:01 PM
SomeoneGreat

Quote:
That is enough contact to disallow the goal. The Kings have lost goals with less contact. The ref doesn't have to call a penalty to disallow the goal.

But did it affect Quick's ability to get back to make the save? Certainly not.

By the way I'm just trying to have a friendly discussion, not trolling.

Old
03-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneGreat View Post

True, I'm just saying that the Kings have had goals disallowed with the same or less contact.

It just seems to happen against Canadian teams more often. I think that is where the angst comes from. Canuck fans calling out the Kings for diving is the ultimate head scratcher.

Emotions are running high because a good Western team is going to miss the playoffs this season. It's a crazy year and the Eastern conference is giving a lot of points to the West.

Old
03-05-2011, 09:08 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:

I don't think it is, seeing as Quick was able to slide over. However, one thing should be noted: the referees are very inconsistent in this regard.

Go to 0:45. Toews makes a lot of contact with Luongo, yet it's a goal. At 1:38, there's an even better example of both Kane and Byfuglien pushing Luongo into the net, yet the goal still counts. How that goal was allowed...I have no idea.

Old
03-05-2011, 09:08 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
True, I'm just saying that the Kings have had goals disallowed with the same or less contact.

It just seems to happen against Canadian teams more often. I think that is where the angst comes from. Canuck fans calling out the Kings for diving is the ultimate head scratcher.

Emotions are running high because a good Western team is going to miss the playoffs this season. It's a crazy year and the Eastern conference is giving a lot of points to the West.
Well, Doughty was the only one who got a diving penalty in the game...

Old
03-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
PP sucks

Passing sucks

D coverage sucks

2 points down the drain

We'll be out of the playoffs by Monday
Suicide watch needed
Relax dude

Old
03-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
I don't think it is, seeing as Quick was able to slide over. However, one thing should be noted: the referees are very inconsistent in this regard.

Go to 0:45. Toews makes a lot of contact with Luongo, yet it's a goal. At 1:38, there's an even better example of both Kane and Byfuglien pushing Luongo into the net, yet the goal still counts. How that goal was allowed...I have no idea.
Hey, I agree with you there. The NHL needs much better consistency on these calls. Smyth had a good goal disallowed and Hanzel scored a goal from above the cross bar.

Williams skated through the crease earlier this season and a goal was disallowed with little contact.

This goal wasnt the reason for the loss, the Kings didn't deserve the win. They didn't even deserve a point. Murray needs to stop coaching for 2-1 victories and release the creativity.

Old
03-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Well, Doughty was the only one who got a diving penalty in the game...
Just because it was called doesnt mean it was the only dive of the game. Almost all players embellish plays to make sure the ref sees it. Almost all high stickings are embellished. Doesn't mean the player should get a diving penalty.

Did you miss Luongo's dive with zero contact earlier in the game?

Old
03-05-2011, 09:15 PM
timw33

Quote:

Excellent video examples of the sort of stuff the league just let slide in the VAN/CHI series of the past two years.

I just wish the league would be consistent with this sort of interference.

Old
03-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Canucks fan coming in peace.

How has Ponikarovsky (sp) been for you this year? I don't watch many Kings games and the ones I have watched he hasn't been great.

Old
03-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Canucks fan coming in peace.

How has Ponikarovsky (sp) been for you this year? I don't watch many Kings games and the ones I have watched he hasn't been great.
He's turned into a grinder. Throws the body hard, provides some energy, plays the PK well. Not remotely what we expected and not remotely worth what the team is paying.

Probably provides enough energy to get with another team as a grinder, but I think he'll go to the KHL and get better pay this summer.

Old
03-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

I hate the canucks so much

Old
03-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Since the Kings lost, what will be the lines against Dallas?

My guess:

Penner-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Clifford-Handzus-Simmonds
Richardson-Lewis-Westgarth

Old
03-05-2011, 10:25 PM
ukyo

Though I'm not happy with the loss, in the grand scheme of things I'm ok with this game. The team needed a fire lit under its ass. This is the kind of adversity and disappointment that I'm hoping the team will get a taste of BEFORE the playoffs start. Here's to hoping they take it out on Dallas and tear them a new one.

Old
03-05-2011, 10:36 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneGreat View Post

Yes it did, Quick was coming across and met a falling Doughty half way across the crease. Which was started by a hit from behind by Sedin. Sucks it went bad for us,

Old
03-05-2011, 10:54 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

To those *******s, especially those sitting and watching the game over 1,000 miles away, who are calling out the fans at the game: Go suck a D.

Those of us who actually go to every single game, be it Vancouver or some ghastly experience like Phoenix, do not control who buys the tickets. Visiting crowds always think it is hilarious to start chants in the opposition building, just like when Kings fans hoot and holler about how they stuck it to the Ducks fans after a game at Honda.

Some, like myself, are there every single game. I have a 120 mile round trip just for work and then an 80 mile round trip up to LA to see the games. The fans are passionate but you dicks sitting on your couch are going to criticize us because we don't start chanting for no reason?

For those who aren't close enough to the area to go to games and are going to ***** about the crowd, come down from your ivory tower as I'm sure you'd sit there blaring like a siren for two and a half hours. For those who are in the area and are going to ***** about it, shut your effing mouth and pony up some bucks to go to the game and "fix" this problem that you have identified. Until then--with all respect--shut the **** up.

Old
03-05-2011, 11:15 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: LA Kings Canít Blame Officials For 3-1 Loss To Vancouver[

Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Can’t Blame Officials For 3-1 Loss To Vancouver

Terry Murray's comments about Daniel Sedin's goal can be heard here...

Last edited by FrozenRoyalty: 03-05-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Closed Thread