HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Bellator Fighting Championships

Old
11-20-2011, 02:32 PM
m9

vCash: 50
Awesome fight.

Chandler is for real. His stand-up looks legit, which is scary for guys at 155.

Some great finishes by Sandro and Lombard too.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 07:24 PM
pine*

vCash: 500
damn, that fight was bat ****ing crazy.

Great night for MMA last night.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:36 AM
DaaaaB's

Great fight and big upset for Chandler. He looked like the real deal. Takes Eddie out of the picture for best LW in the world. Right now it's between Edgar and Melandez imo.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Captain_Cunney

Great fight! Chandler really improved his stand-up in a relatively short time, take note Askren.

This is the exact reason Eddie should not be toiling in Bellator. It's a constant lose/lose, he's one of the best 55ers in the planet but he'll likely plummet now because Chandler is an "unknown" so to speak, a very good one obviously. I'm sure messageboards all over the internets are filled with "Alvarez has been a can crusher" and such, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I feel for the 155ers in next seasons' tournie, Alvarez is going to be on a war path.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 05:38 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Great fight! Chandler really improved his stand-up in a relatively short time, take note Askren.

This is the exact reason Eddie should not be toiling in Bellator. It's a constant lose/lose, he's one of the best 55ers in the planet but he'll likely plummet now because Chandler is an "unknown" so to speak, a very good one obviously. I'm sure messageboards all over the internets are filled with "Alvarez has been a can crusher" and such, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I feel for the 155ers in next seasons' tournie, Alvarez is going to be on a war path.
That loss doesnt diminish his stock from where I sit at all. He very easily could have won that fight and his skills are still world class. Im looking forward to the inevitable rematch tbh.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Captain_Cunney

Me neither, the problem is that there are far more retards around than there are people with common sense.

Old
11-23-2011, 11:44 AM
DaaaaB's

It may not diminish how good of a fighter he is but the loss definitely takes him out of the talk about who's the #1 lightweight in the world right now. Another year from now, I expect him to be right back in the talk again.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Captain_Cunney

Just an FYI on this weekends card, Pellegrino is back from his short lived retirment and fighting Friere on the main card. It should be a great scrap. The 135 final should also be great.

Old
11-23-2011, 03:35 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
It may not diminish how good of a fighter he is but the loss definitely takes him out of the talk about who's the #1 lightweight in the world right now. Another year from now, I expect him to be right back in the talk again.
Exactly.

How does this loss NOT diminish his stock? He was considered a possible #1 155er in the world, and now he's not even top five. He got beat by a guy who was likely outside all top ten lists anywhere. I like Chandler going forward and he'll be a top ten guy, but for Alvarez to get dropped repeatedly and then finished.. uh yeah, that'll drop your stock.

Old
11-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Captain_Cunney

Breaking news, the next Anderson Silva (Phillip Nover) has been bumped to the main card. I joke but I'm actually looking forward to watching both he and Batman fight on the card.

Old
11-26-2011, 03:24 PM
m9

Looking forward to the fights tonight, although I wish they would've stacked this card a bit more with a title fight during a rare non-UFC Saturday. Ahh well, not the first time Bellator's missed out on an opportunity, and it likely won't be the last.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:53 AM
m9

Not one of the better cards tonight. A couple of ok fights, an early and odd stoppage, and a no contest in a tourney final. Ahh well.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:35 AM
DeathFromAbove

Every time I watch a Bellator card it's a turd.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:37 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

lol at that kick to the groin by Big Monster. Maybe he thought he was back in Rio Heroes or something

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:36 PM
fong p88

What happened to roger Huerta, he left the UFC just as I was getting into it but I remembered him being a "name" guy. Now I see he's lost 3 in a row. Not that Curran or Alvarez are slouched but War Machine wasn't anything special on a weak season of TUF. I didn't see last night but if someone could fill me in that would be great.

fong p88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:17 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong p88 View Post
What happened to roger Huerta, he left the UFC just as I was getting into it but I remembered him being a "name" guy. Now I see he's lost 3 in a row. Not that Curran or Alvarez are slouched but War Machine wasn't anything special on a weak season of TUF. I didn't see last night but if someone could fill me in that would be great.
I read online that he came in with a rib injury and couldn't finish the fight.

Old
11-27-2011, 01:35 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Good lord was that card awful.

Nover probably got screwed on the decision in his fight to boot. I liked the Polish kid, always attacking off his back with his grappling, just couldnt finish.

I think Prindle saw a way out and took it.

One can never be sure but if I had to hazard a guess, that would be it.

Old
11-27-2011, 04:53 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong p88 View Post
Huerta was always a guy whose record was a little inflated in my opinion. The UFC knew he was hugely marketable so he got the benefit of some softball matches in building his unbeaten streak -- like I think the first five or so fights he got in the UFC were against guys making their UFC debuts, and even then he struggled against a couple of them. I distinctly remember Doug Evans badly outwrestling him for a round before Huerta turned it around, for instance). His only real big win in the UFC was against Guida -- and even then that's a fight he was losing clearly through two rounds, though full credit to him for turning it around and pulling off a huge come-from-behind win. But it's been all downhill from there.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:47 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Huerta was always a guy whose record was a little inflated in my opinion. The UFC knew he was hugely marketable so he got the benefit of some softball matches in building his unbeaten streak -- like I think the first five or so fights he got in the UFC were against guys making their UFC debuts, and even then he struggled against a couple of them. I distinctly remember Doug Evans badly outwrestling him for a round before Huerta turned it around, for instance). His only real big win in the UFC was against Guida -- and even then that's a fight he was losing clearly through two rounds, though full credit to him for turning it around and pulling off a huge come-from-behind win. But it's been all downhill from there.
That was also Guida's last exciting fight.

Old
11-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
That was also Guida's last exciting fight.
I actually quite liked Guida's fight against Henderson. Although mostly because Henderson was just clearly a step above him haha.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:46 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I actually quite liked Guida's fight against Henderson. Although mostly because Henderson was just clearly a step above him haha.
Ya, it was ok. I forget about the Sanchez fight too. I think that about covers it though.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:59 PM
The Rage

On sbnation.com/mma, they have a snippet from Rebney who states that Bellator will eventually get rid of non title superfights by having more touraments. Next season will have five touraments. I am not sure how they will pull this off logistically. Eight divisions (men's BW to HW and women's 125 will replace 115) with two title fights per year would be 16 tournaments per year. I think they would have to drop divisions to make this work. They could easily drop LHW and HW, and have the opening rounds of the women's tournament on prelims or something. They really have only one half decent fighter (Konrad) in their two biggest divisions. It would be a ballsy move, though, as they have already invested a good amount into those divisions, and there is still this pervasive idea that the bigger fighters are the best draws.

Three seasons per year would be another possibility as well. Next season is starting earlier (in Febuary), so maybe they are headed in that direction. That would be kind of crazy, though, as they would likely put on more events than the UFC then. In any case, this is a big step forward for Bellator. They get to keep their unique tournament format (which I think is importamt to differentiate their product from the UFC) but can also make it work from an organizational persepctive. More tournaments, more title fights, a better time slot, more promotion behind them, and eventually a better television platform? I really think Bellator is about to take off in a major way.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:33 PM
m9

Have they said what the plan is for Spike? If Bellator could go onto Wednesday's during TUF's time slot and then go with more tournaments it would be ideal. People would turn there, and see 8 person tournaments - basically TUF without the lame parts. Should be easy enough to gain a bunch of fans.

I cant imagine they'd get rid of the higher weight classes. The HW tourney hasn't been that bad this year, other than the final. The 205's last year were good fights, although the quality was obviously lacking. If anything, they should be ditching the womens' divisions.

Old
11-29-2011, 10:26 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Have they said what the plan is for Spike?
I believe Spike is stuck with UFC re-runs for another year, and then they are free to show Bellator.

Old
12-01-2011, 04:54 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I believe Spike is stuck with UFC re-runs for another year, and then they are free to show Bellator.
I still think the UFC and Viacom will settle. It's not in the UFC's interest to have Spike in a position to counter program Fox/Fx/Fuel programming. Dana White may have said otherwise, but he is known to bend the truth, and he likely wants to maintain leverage. One possibility that makes sense to me, however, is Bellator moving to the main MTV network for a year. They already have MMA programming in the form of Bully beatdown, and now a new MMA docuseries.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote