HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs. Panthers 3/6/11 5:00 PM EST

Old
03-07-2011, 08:42 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I want Bruce to work the officials publicly in the playoffs, as I have seen done against us spanning 3 decades. Most notably, the league's number one all time complainer on sh1ttsburg. I believe Montreal 2010 worked it perfectly IIRC.

Specifically, telling the refs to watch out for the caps working the crease crowding Halak. I may be mistaken in what I remember. But I am fairly certain Martin planted the seed in their simpleton minds and it cost us. Maybe it wasnt game 7, maybe it was. I think they were waiting for the back tip of knuble's skate on the line, halak falling (untouched of course), anything at all. The academy award goes to Gill who ass bumped Knuble and didnt see the play, but threw his arms up into the air and sold it.

If we ever get a hot goalie, I hope Bruce cuts off our opponent at the pass, and proactively tells the refs that they WILL be running our G, before it happens. The refs are given directives by the league who dont want a run goalie to decide a series but they need to be reminded. Think of the children, think of the children...

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-07-2011 at 08:49 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:02 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Erskine swung his stick while prone, that's what the ref called.

Dudes been playing like garbage lately.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Roughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well...here we are in march. we wondered all season who would be number 1 with most leaning heavily toward varly. varly still has the higher heights, but neuvirth is mr reliable and when it comes down to it that is what this bunch needs. realiability. he is steady. he is available. he can handle the load. he wins the games.
Yep. I've been a Neuvy fan all year. Too many ups/downs with Varly for me. Hell, if they could get good value for Varly this off season I'd trade him and run with Neuvy and Holtby next year.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:40 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Erskine has been in overload mode lately. He has had a few bad decisions on faceoffs in the offensive zone that led to goals but I dont think Bruce cares. He loves his defensemen to be aggressive in the offensive zone.

But those are the exact type of plays where winning the faceoff can backfire. Pressure that slow bad puckhandler into an odd man. I want to see Ovi try that, attack a slow D when we lose a defensive zone faceoff.

In the low scoring NHL, every single thing is under a microscope. One mistake is the difference in games. You have to single guys out to be exploited, attack them. Like teams do to Green and derail our offense every playoffs.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Here's the list of teams with the best (and worst) differentials between PP opportunities and times shorthanded:

CAR: +44
TOR: +42
TBL: +31
SJS: +27
CGY: +26
DET: +18
NYR: +17
BOS: +11
FLA: +10
CHI: +10
ATL: +10
NYI: +6
DAL: +6
LAK: +3
VAN: +2
STL: -1
EDM: -7
PHX: -8
PHI: -9
CBJ: -9
MIN: -12
NSH: -13
PIT: -15
BUF: -20
NJD: -22
ANA: -23
WSH: -24
OTT: -28
MTL: -29
COL: -37

It's an odd list. There really aren't many patterns that I can see. Good teams are distributed all over the list. Mediocre-to-crappy teams are all over the list. Teams that surrender few goals are all over the list too. I guess the closest correlation is that teams that score a lot of goals tend to do well in this. But even that's not perfect, because Philly leads the East in goals for and is a -9. And, last year, when we lead the world in goal scoring, we were still a -3.

Side note: Carolina is on track to lead the NHL in PP opportunities for the 4th straight year. They've been top 3 in the league in all six seasons since the lock out. How do you explain that? They've had multiple coaching changes and a ton of turnover in their roster, and they don't play with any particularly discernible 'style'. They've been both very good and very mediocre as a team in this period. How can they be so consistent in this? Does Eric Staal scare refs?!?
Thanks for running that data. I did it earlier this year, and wanted to see how much it had changed, and didn't feel like running the numbers again.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Erskine swung his stick while prone, that's what the ref called.

Dudes been playing like garbage lately.
Yes he has been.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:38 AM
SiberianHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
Yep. I've been a Neuvy fan all year. Too many ups/downs with Varly for me. Hell, if they could get good value for Varly this off season I'd trade him and run with Neuvy and Holtby next year.
Varlamov has 4 games this season with save percentage below .90%
Neuvirth has 16 games below .90%

There were not so many downs by Varly.

Among under 25 years olds no other keeper in the league even come close to Varly in terms of consistency. Take a look at Reimer, Pavelec and Neuvirth stats, there are a lot more ups and downs.

SiberianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Funkyalligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianHockey View Post
Varlamov has 4 games this season with save percentage below .90%
Neuvirth has 16 games below .90%

There were not so many downs by Varly.

Among under 25 years olds no other keeper in the league even come close to Varly in terms of consistency. Take a look at Reimer, Pavelec and Neuvirth stats, there are a lot more ups and downs.
I think what he meant about ups and downs from Varly concerns staying healthy.....if Varly could stay healthy I doubt there are many here that would dispute him being the #1...but until that point...not going to happen. There is a reason that the Caps haven't signed him to a contract yet...he can't stay healthy...always has problems with his knees and groin.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

My issues with goaltending this year purely pertain to durability. Healthy, these two are fine. I'm not sure they can steal games, but they can keep the team in games long enough for the rest of the team to regroup. If the Caps fail to convert after that, then this is on the skaters as a group. It's been rare that the Caps have appeared to lose games because of shoddy goaltending, as opposed to anemic offense.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Don't trade young goalies. Ever.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Don't trade young goalies. Ever.
It really doesn't make any sense to until you're forced to by one of the contracts. Varly certainly hasn't earned a monster raise. I can see him signing a 2 year deal at the same price at Neuvy did. Keep em together, pushing each other like they have most of their pro careers.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:54 PM
SiberianHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
It really doesn't make any sense to until you're forced to by one of the contracts. Varly certainly hasn't earned a monster raise. I can see him signing a 2 year deal at the same price at Neuvy did. Keep em together, pushing each other like they have most of their pro careers.

Varlamov has better career stats among all young goalies. Better than Carey Price does. If Price deserves a monster raise, why Varly doesn't? Neuvirth is not on the same level right now.
I think, stats (on a big run) reflect the quality of goaltending...

SiberianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:55 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianHockey View Post
Varlamov has better career stats among all young goalies. Better than Carey Price does. If Price deserves a monster raise, why Varly doesn't? Neuvirth is not on the same level right now.
I think, stats (on a big run) reflect the quality of goaltending...
Because he's made of glass. You don't give big, long contracts to players that are made of glass until they prove otherwise. See: Alex Semin.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It doesn't even have to be a philosophical position. You hold on to goaltenders even when you follow a case-by-case approach. Might I trade a goalie? I suppose. Would I trade either of Neuvirth or Varlamov for a freakin' second-round pick? Of course not.

Goalies aren't worth spit on trade markets. There is a very small list of starting goaltenders who can return significant futures and/or skaters in return. Yet the market value for most goalies is atrocious, for the simple reason that there are more than 60 NHL-quality goaltenders kicking around the league and on the fringes.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Atlas

Varly is a Hall of Fame talent with a great attitude. He may not have Hall of Fame durability, we'll see. Neuvy has been playing better but he could fold in the playoffs (or get even better?).

I suspect Varly would be fine to go if this were the playoffs. They are overly careful with him IMO. He's the #1 forever until he's put out to the pasture.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Varly is a Hall of Fame talent with a great attitude. He may not have Hall of Fame durability, we'll see..
This.

And his motivation is OK. Sochi-2014 is not that far away. He is russian #2 already and will have a good fight with Bobrosvkiy for that spot (maybe). Maybe he will give a run for Bryzgalov also.

Btw... would you sign Bryzgalov and trade Neuvy? Just for thought.

Raikkonen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:37 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Because he's made of glass. You don't give big, long contracts to players that are made of glass until they prove otherwise. See: Alex Semin.
He was offered multiple long-term contracts between 6-8+ years but for both sides it was better to just take another one-year extension and wait another year to work it out.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote