HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is anyone worried about Boston or Tampa?

Old
01-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Mike2000z28

vCash: 500
Is anyone worried about Boston or Tampa?

I don't know, i look at those teams and they always give us trouble. Tampa has had our number for awhile now and Boston almost the same. We have 2 regulation losses to both teams. Seems through either luck or bad playing on our part we lose to them.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:19 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Thomas should always cause worry, he is unreal

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Boston more than Tampa.

Tampa's defense will not hold up in the playoffs. They're one and done.

Sorry, Simon.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:21 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Boston more than Tampa.

Tampa's defense will not hold up in the playoffs. They're one and done.

Sorry, Simon.
It will be interesting to see Boucher's System in the playoffs

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I'm not concerned about Tampa, they should get shredded.

Boston could be a problem, just because of Thomas.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Haute Couturier

Tampa are frauds, IMO. Boston will definitely be a tough opponent.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
PhillyCurt12

there are 15 teams to worry about come playoff time.

make it 14 if the sharks are in the playoffs

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:37 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Thomas is a good, but an incredibly, unbelievably, ridiculously lucky goaltender at some points in the game. His style is flopping, and when it doesn't work he looks like a ****ing idiot. But when it does, and usually it does... it hits the boards, the post, a skate, and then lands right on his lap. The man must eat lucky charms for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. And midnight snack.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:48 AM
bennysflyers16

Tampa is of no worry to me, but,,

The team that matches up best against us and the team I am always worried about is Boston. If they add a fwd or 2 by the deadline, watch out. It will be us or the Bruins in the Final !

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Start Leighton*

Truth be told the teams I want to see in the playoffs are the Canadians Pittsburgh and the Rangers. Not saying it would be the easiest path but it would be so nice to watch the Flyers knock every one of them out of the playoffs.

But in regards to your question honestly no team in the Eastern conference scares me.

Also just looked up standing had no idea that the western conference was so close. The only team that is really out of the playoff race is Edmonton.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PhillyPhantic

Right now I'm more worried about Pittsburgh.
Let's worry about Boston/Tampa Bay in April.

PhillyPhantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MCAKES

guys lets not count our chickens...

that being said im not really worried about boston or tampa. tampas defense does not impress me and with boston you really have to only worry about the goal tending.
i think our atlantic rivals pose more of a threat.

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:56 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

at this point, i'm not convinced there's any team in the league that we can't beat in a 7 game series. boston is always a tough opponent and they'd be out for revenge because of last year, but they're really only as good as their goalie. they have the ability to score a lot of goals from the point but not against a team like the flyers. the game a few weeks ago was a weird flukey game that i wouldn't expect to happen come playoff time.

i think this team knows what it has to do and what it takes to go all the way. we've seen many times this year the ability to kick it into a new gear seemingly out of nowhere. i expect them to go 150% come playoff time.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:58 AM
CantSeeColors

No more than anyone else. I'm more concerned about an injury bug than any particular team.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:03 PM
rban*

I concur that Boston is a problem come PO time. Mtl we can shred like mincemeat. TB won't be a problem.

I worry about Boston a bit cuz of their depth. Savard's injury problems lessen that issue a bit, but still .. Lucic, Horton, Krejki, Seguin, Bergeron, Wheeler, Recchi, Ryder.

These are all potential or past 20 goal scorers,, except for Seguin, who is pegged as a future star.

OTOH Savard is fragile, and Ryder and Wheeler have a bit of a reputation of not showing up in the POs. Seguin is inexperienced and Recchi's showing his age a bit.

Lucic, Horton, Krejki, and Bergeron can really bring it, though.

Boston might actually have more offensive depth than Washington and Pitts. Pitts offense is nothing beyond Crosby and Malkin, while Washington is little more than Semin, Backstrom, and Ovie (with quite a helping from Dman Green). Not scary.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Tampa's goal differential isn't impressive at all, and their record is somewhat shootout inflated.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
97FlyersKing18

I am worried about Tampa only because of Stamkos. I actually really like some of the pieces TB has, but it will take a few more years for them to be a legitimate threat for the Cup.

Boston is a good matchup, I think even if Thomas falters Rask is pretty good between the pipes. Having a defense headlined by Chara is impressive, although no-where near the Flyers corps.

Also, does New Jersey have a realistic shot at the Playoffs? I could see them posing a threat in that it would take a great second half for them to get in. I understand that they don't really match up well against the Flyers, but getting Parise back and Kovy rolling could at least pose a threat to the Flyers if every single piece of our incredible depth somehow dries up

The way I see it, only the Flyers are the only team that can beat the Flyers in a 7 game series with the immense depth on the front and back end and a few glue guys that keep the squad focused. This team is one of the best NHL teams I have seen in a very long time, I really enjoy watching them dominate the opposition. If only they could keep it up for 60min instead of the usual 15-20min lapse.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Cartsiephan*

Pittsburgh, until we beat them in the playoffs they still own us.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:04 PM
McNasty

Washington scares me more than Tampa at this point. They now play good defense, and they are very physical, plus that offense can explode at any moment.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:05 PM
97FlyersKing18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Pittsburgh, until we beat them in the playoffs they still own us.
I understand that they have pretty much the same core as they did when they beat the Flyers in the ECF and 1st round back to back, but their peripheral pieces are majorly downgraded and their defense is not as imposing. That being said, 2 of the top 5 players in the world make them a threat. The only thing that can save the Penguins against the Flyers is Powerplay opportunities.

The Flyers, although having the same core of Carter, Richards, Hartnell, Briere, Timonen, and Coburn, are not the same team the Penguins beat a few years ago in that they have added a more confident Giroux, JVR, an elite 3rd pairing and the HBL line is playing lights out. The Flyers have a much deeper defensive core headed by Pronger and a team with 3 legitimate scoring lines and an elite shutdown 4th.

I would take the Flyers in a high scoring 6-5 game just as I would take them in a tight 2-1 game. This team is playing too good RIGHT NOW, to validate any team taking them in a 7 game series.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
I understand that they have pretty much the same core as they did when they beat the Flyers in the ECF and 1st round back to back, but their peripheral pieces are majorly downgraded and their defense is not as imposing. That being said, 2 of the top 5 players in the world make them a threat. The only thing that can save the Penguins against the Flyers is Powerplay opportunities.

The Flyers, although having the same core of Carter, Richards, Hartnell, Briere, Timonen, and Coburn, are not the same team the Penguins beat a few years ago in that they have added a more confident Giroux, JVR, an elite 3rd pairing and the HBL line is playing lights out. The Flyers have a much deeper defensive core headed by Pronger and a team with 3 legitimate scoring lines and an elite shutdown 4th.

I would take the Flyers in a high scoring 6-5 game just as I would take them in a tight 2-1 game. This team is playing too good RIGHT NOW, to validate any team taking them in a 7 game series.

Until they actually beat them in a series it is just talk.

Teams who play a solid defense and get good goaltending will win these types of series. Just because you see this team scoring on a nightly basis does not mean that a team who will have time to prepare and develop a gameplan cannot shut down these lines. My guess is a team will come out and play a more physical game in the playoffs against the Flyers, running guys like Giroux and Briere while being more physical with guys like Zherdev and Carter.

Me thinks the Flyers fanbase is becoming a little to overconfident about this team. Doing a very good job and much improved over last season, but they need to get it done in the playoffs against the top teams.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:59 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

The Flyers should be worried about the number 1 seed just as much as the number 8 seed. They know from first hand experience that regular season means nothing in the playoffs.

If we can't get a shutout this season, then I will worry about any team that can score goals, which is all of them.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Garbage Goal

In the regular season, Tampa might be a threat in terms of seeding, but Boston is no worry.

As for the playoffs, I don't think Tampa is a threat for the Cup at all because I don't expect their defense and/or goaltending to hold up. They're still not a team to take lightly though. They definitely have the offensive firepower to expose our goaltending like the Blackhawks did last season.

Boston is kind of the opposite. I think that they're a greater threat for the Cup, but I'd be less worried about them in a series versus us then Tampa.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Flyers2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
No more than anyone else. I'm more concerned about an injury bug than any particular team.
Ditto< as much as I hate to say it....I feel its only a matter of time until we lose someone real important, for a long period of time! We were the most injury prone team around for a few years....Lets hope this year will be an exception. This team is something special.

Flyers2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:50 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

For once in my life as a Flyers fan, I am not worried about any team.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote