HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gotta ask: Has Lavy worn them out?

Old
03-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Bruins scare me the most, Caps not much at all.

1st is going to be so important for our 2nd round opponent. Looks like a Habs/Bruins 1st rd and if Habs pull off the upset could be a very good chance we play them 2nd rd while Caps get Pens or Bolts !
Habs/Bruins would be a grind for both teams, most likely a six or seven game series. Bottom line, home ice is what these guys should be aiming for at this point. Give Laviolette the last change in a game seven and you increase the chances for success.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Habs/Bruins would be a grind for both teams, most likely a six or seven game series. Bottom line, home ice is what these guys should be aiming for at this point. Give Laviolette the last change in a game seven and you increase the chances for success.
Habs kind of own the Bruins.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:55 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
They have a bit of a goaltending controversy though. Who knows which guy will go our of the 3 young guys
Good point. I also see the return of Mike Green as a major problem for them. His mindset and style of play does not fit in the system Boudreau is trying to play. I love when he is on the ice and we are playing the caps.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bruins fans do not want to see the Habs in the first round, but in a playoff series it would certainly benefit whomever gets the winner.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Good point. I also see the return of Mike Green as a major problem for them. His mindset and style of play does not fit in the system Boudreau is trying to play. I love when he is on the ice and we are playing the caps.
5-8-13 +10 in 21 games against us... Mike Green has worn us out. That's his highest +/- against any team.

Old
03-17-2011, 09:59 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
If you listen to Montreal Sports radio they are scared to death of:
1. The big bad Flyers
2. The big bad Bruins

Most people in Montreal feel those teams will be too tough for the smaller Habs in the playoffs. Bruins knocked out the Habs in 2009 in 4 games. People in Montreal were similar to us last year, they felf they got to the conference finals due to avoiding the problem teams in Boston and Philadelphia. We got to the SCF by avoiding Washington and Pittsburgh.

Old
03-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Jester

Quote:
If you listen to Montreal Sports radio they are scared to death of:
1. The big bad Flyers
2. The big bad Bruins

Most people in Montreal feel those teams will be too tough for the smaller Habs in the playoffs. Bruins knocked out the Habs in 2009 in 4 games. People in Montreal were similar to us last year, they felf they got to the conference finals due to avoiding the problem teams in Boston and Philadelphia. We got to the SCF by avoiding Washington and Pittsburgh.
Yeah, well, if you've watched the Habs/Bruins games this year...

Old
03-17-2011, 11:06 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Even if they've won the season series, a playoff series is different.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Even if they've won the season series, a playoff series is different.
So said the Devs fans.

It isn't just this year... Habs have traditionally owned the Bruins.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
So said the Devs fans.

It isn't just this year... Habs have traditionally owned the Bruins.
Like historically? Last time they met in the playoffs when the games are called different and the hockey is much more physical and intense, the Bruins CRUSHED the Habs. Based on regular season records, Washington should have a couple of cups by now. Regular season success does not guarantee playoff success. If the Habs face the Bruins this year, they will lose.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:16 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Didn't the Bruins sweep the Habs last time the played?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:17 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
I have, and so has my father who is a die hard Habs fan for 50 years. And what does he and the other people that follow the team like we follow the Flyers say? Don't want to play the Bruins or Flyers. Why? The habs weakness is their lack of size and grit. The Flyers and Bruins are the teams that can exploit that in a 7 game series.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
Like historically? Last time they met in the playoffs when the games are called different and the hockey is much more physical and intense, the Bruins CRUSHED the Habs. Based on regular season records, Washington should have a couple of cups by now. Regular season success does not guarantee playoff success. If the Habs face the Bruins this year, they will lose.
You must be rich with that crystal ball so handy.

The last time they met, Cary Price was an extremely young goalie and played like ***.

Bruins also went 5-1 against 'em that year in the regular season.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:18 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Didn't the Bruins sweep the Habs last time the played?
Yes - 4-0 in 2009, 2 years ago. It wasn't even close.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:20 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think its more of Price has owned the Bruins this year.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:20 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
It is a prediction, people make them all the time.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
I have, and so has my father who is a die hard Habs fan for 50 years. And what does he and the other people that follow the team like we follow the Flyers say? Don't want to play the Bruins or Flyers. Why? The habs weakness is their lack of size and grit. The Flyers and Bruins are the teams that can exploit that in a 7 game series.
Well, if your father says so...

I think a large % of Flyer fans spout stupid stuff about the Flyers all the time, why would Habs fans be any different?

Case in point, Lavy has worn the team out and they're struggling because he's talked 'em into cutting down on hooking everyone they see and taking stupid penalties. Never mind that they're 1st in the East in March.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I think its more of Price has owned the Bruins this year.
Well, he's got a legit case for a Hart Trophy this year.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:24 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:

The last time they met, Cary Price was an extremely young goalie and played like ***.

Bruins also went 5-1 against 'em that year in the regular season.
I get your point. I thought going into the playoffs last year we matched up well against the Devils after watching the regular season games. But if you look at playoff series results versus regular season versus records (lower seed with better record against higher seed) I am sure the statistics will tell you, it means nothing. If anyone knows where to get such stats.....I would be interested in seeing it.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:28 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Last year he was relied on to score more goals. So he scored more goals.

This year, he isnt depended on to score as much. It doesnt mean he is not as involved, it just means he isnt necessarily finishing the play. Hence, similar point totals, but less goals. When a team relies on you to score goals, you score more goals. When a team has more players scoring goals, your goals drop, but your points should stay around the same.

When Daniel Sedin was hurt last year, Henrik Sedin scored goals at a higher clip. It's also the same logic that says that Matt Moulson may not be a 30 goal scorer if he doesnt play for the Islanders.
Moulson would be a 20 goal scorer on the Flyers on the 3rd line.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:29 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Well, if your father says so...

I think a large % of Flyer fans spout stupid stuff about the Flyers all the time, why would Habs fans be any different?

Case in point, Lavy has worn the team out and they're struggling because he's talked 'em into cutting down on hooking everyone they see and taking stupid penalties. Never mind that they're 1st in the East in March.
My point is one you personally make all the time. Who are we to analyze the Habs-Bruins? The guys that follow those teams as closely as we follow the Flyers would have a better idea on "their teams" than we do, I think. Similarly, your take on Meszaros and Volchenkov are wrong in my books, because I live in Ottawa and watch/hear about the sens all day. I know Volchenkov was given too much money for too long. I know Meszaros is a good d-man who can play well with a good team. As much as you "think" you know everything, I guarantee you are not watching the Senators as closely as a Sens fans. Same with the Habs-Bruins series.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:31 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Well, he's got a legit case for a Hart Trophy this year.
Due to the poor wording of that trophy. It should be "best player in the NHL" not the "most valuable to his team". In the former, it is Sedin(s) or Stamkos. If the latter it is Carey Price/Tim Thomas/Pekke Rinne. I hate that Hasek and Theodore won the Hart trophy and Vezina.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
The habs weakness is their lack of size and grit. The Flyers and Bruins are the teams that can exploit that in a 7 game series.
Not to mention the Pacioretty was one of their only big fwds and he's gone now, along with half their D. The Habs are going to have trouble in any series this year, goaltending or not - and I don't blame them. Losing Markov is a big enought blow, but also Gorges, Spacek and now Sopel has got to have a longer term impact.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Jester

Quote:
My point is one you personally make all the time. Who are we to analyze the Habs-Bruins? The guys that follow those teams as closely as we follow the Flyers would have a better idea on "their teams" than we do, I think. Similarly, your take on Meszaros and Volchenkov are wrong in my books, because I live in Ottawa and watch/hear about the sens all day. I know Volchenkov was given too much money for too long. I know Meszaros is a good d-man who can play well with a good team. As much as you "think" you know everything, I guarantee you are not watching the Senators as closely as a Sens fans. Same with the Habs-Bruins series.
Well, phillyfanatic, sadly you don't have deity like powers over the NHL contract market. Volchenkov actually went for less than people were expecting, and everyone in advance knew that there were going to be length concerns given his age and the beating he takes. It's pretty much a fact of life that UFA contracts look a bit ugly.

Meszaros is an overpaid D... he belongs in the NHL, and is fine if you're not making him out to be a top pairing guy.

Quote:
Due to the poor wording of that trophy. It should be "best player in the NHL" not the "most valuable to his team". In the former, it is Sedin(s) or Stamkos. If the latter it is Carey Price/Tim Thomas/Pekke Rinne. I hate that Hasek and Theodore won the Hart trophy and Vezina.
...the wording on the trophy is what it is, it's not poor wording simply because you personally don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Not to mention the Pacioretty was one of their only big fwds and he's gone now, along with half their D. The Habs are going to have trouble in any series this year, goaltending or not - and I don't blame them. Losing Markov is a big enought blow, but also Gorges, Spacek and now Sopel has got to have a longer term impact.
Montreal is not a scary team, but they should have a psychological edge on the Bruins that they won't have with their other potential matchups. Not to mention that hit should give 'em a bit more motivation and rile up the fans even more.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Montreal meeting and eliminating Boston in the first round would be awesome. I'm not terribly worried about Montreal; Boston, yeah.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote