HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This Year Vs. Last(now that team is set)

Old
03-06-2011, 04:35 PM
DontToewzMeBro

vCash: 500
This Year Vs. Last(now that team is set)

Last Year:------------------------This Year
82GP=52-22-8--------------------66gp-37-23-6

Buff-Toews-Kane-----------------Sharp-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Bolland-Hossa--------------Frolik-Bolland-Hossa
Ladd-Madden-Versteeg-----------Brouwer-Dowell-Bickell
Brouwer-Fraser-Kopecky/Burish----Stalberg-Johnson-Kopecky/Pisani
Eager-----------------------------J.Scott

Keith-Seabrook----------------------Keith-Leddy
Campbell-Hammer--------------------Campbell-Campoli
Sopel-Hendry------------------------Seabrook-Hammer

Niemi---------------------------------Crawford

We could say we switched the following,

Versteeg for Frolik
Ladd is replaced by Bickell
Dowell is taking Madden's
Stalberg for Burish
Pisani for Buff
Johnson for Fraser
Scott for Eager's role
Campoli for Sopel
and now Leddy for Hendry
Craford over Niemi

only X factor was the luxury of big BUFF and to some point Ladd's physical play over Bickells.

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Rahsan
****ING RIGHT!!!!

Apples and oranges.

Rahsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:54 AM
BobbyJet

Iíve said for months that this team has the potential to surpass last years. I donít think we are there yet mainly because of our inconsistency (usually in the 3rd period) and the struggling PK, bur weíre not far off. Having said that, (knock on wood) our PK has improved lately and in general our 3rd periods haven't been great but better, but more work needs to be done. 67 and 14 are new to the team but both have been pretty good and the 4th line has only been together for a short time and should get better still. If we remain healthy I think we will be strong. As for the playoffs: Our prospects of making it are looking much better after a 8 game winning streak however Buff is the intangible that will be missing. I am not as concerned about our lack of grit as I once was but, in my view, someone or some line must overachieve in the playoffs to create a new intangible for the 2011 playoffs.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:33 AM
MrSparkle80

I was hoping this was going to be about the differences from the two, not trying to mold the concept of last year into this year. Both teams have monster skill, but the players don't fit into the same mold.

And Bobby, I really believe that Ryan Johnson is a big difference maker for us. I didn't realize how much we missed having that 2nd faceoff guy out there until this streak. I read the Committed Indian last Sunday, saw the percentages, and said, wow....those numbers don't lie.

MrSparkle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:44 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
6 Defensemen today>6 dmen on June 9th of last year

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
6 Defensemen today>6 dmen on June 9th of last year
True but

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Campbell
Johnsson-Sopel

beats what we have right now, IMO. It's a shame that he was concussed in that Philly game or else our D would've been STACKED for the playoffs. To me, Campoli = Johnsson essentially but Sopel > than Leddy in regards to our team needs past and present. Add in that Seabrook and Keith had phenomenal years compared to this year and our D looks all the better last year.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:24 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

I think if anything the team is productive this year than last. The major cup hangover from our core really doesn't help our situation. If Bowman makes minor changes over the offseason I have no doubt we will be in the playoffs next season. I mean, how long did it take for our team last year to grow? 2 years? Maybe it's gonna take another 2 years.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post
I think if anything the team is productive this year than last. The major cup hangover from our core really doesn't help our situation. If Bowman makes minor changes over the offseason I have no doubt we will be in the playoffs next season. I mean, how long did it take for our team last year to grow? 2 years? Maybe it's gonna take another 2 years.
It's hilarious how HF likes to claim that the window closed for the Hawks last year... until after 08-09, not too many people predicted that the window was even opening. We had a bunch of rookies (Versteeg, Brouwer, Fraser, Hjalmarsson) as well as a few second year players (Kane, Toews, Bolland, Burish) who made a strong push to the WCF only to follow it with the Stanley Cup. Our team was unexperienced and potential-filled.

Now we have established playoff performers that are supplemented with growing young players and suddenly that weakens our team? Didn't seem too terrible in the 09 playoffs.

Old
03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by shartmcgart View Post
True but

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Campbell
Johnsson-Sopel

beats what we have right now, IMO. It's a shame that he was concussed in that Philly game or else our D would've been STACKED for the playoffs. To me, Campoli = Johnsson essentially but Sopel > than Leddy in regards to our team needs past and present. Add in that Seabrook and Keith had phenomenal years compared to this year and our D looks all the better last year.
Well, he wasn't here and they won anyways. To say "It's a shame" we didn't win the Cup with Johnsson in the lineup is extremely silly. Our D was stacked enough. Any comparison of the teams with Johnsson there is a mute point, as he was barely ever on the team.

PK is 8/9 since Campoli got here. VERY VERY small sample space, obviously, but if that keeps up there is no way you can say Sopel > Leddy in regards to needs when if they are killing penalties, and that's all Sopel can do, he obviously isn't needed and we're way better off with a player of Leddy's talent.

Remember, Seabrook and Keith were not as good this year when we didn't have the defensive depth and they were forced into 26-29 minutes a game. With 6 guys who can play, they certainly should be at the same level as last years playoffs, getting around 22'.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:17 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
We're going to miss Buff's and Ladd's ability to get under the opponents skin. I'm hoping Bickell and Brouwer watch some tape of these two and take over those roles. Honestly, I think our defense this year surpasses last years. Now all we have to do is tailor our playing style to suit that strength, which we have the past 10-15 games.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
It's hilarious how HF likes to claim that the window closed for the Hawks last year... until after 08-09, not too many people predicted that the window was even opening. We had a bunch of rookies (Versteeg, Brouwer, Fraser, Hjalmarsson) as well as a few second year players (Kane, Toews, Bolland, Burish) who made a strong push to the WCF only to follow it with the Stanley Cup. Our team was unexperienced and potential-filled.

Now we have established playoff performers that are supplemented with growing young players and suddenly that weakens our team? Didn't seem too terrible in the 09 playoffs.
I was thinking about our development system today, and for the past few years it's actually been fairly impressive.

Since 06-07, we've had 1 Calder winner and 2 other Calder candidates, (maybe 3 depending with Crawford this year), and several of our homegrown players have gone on to have lucrative deals, or at least be fan favorites in their new homes (Buff, Bourque, Ruutu). We've even developed a Norris winner.

Even though I'm told that Peters in Rockford is an awful coach, something about our system (either the way we select players or the way we let them develop) is clearly working.

Round of applause for our scouts and coaches!

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:31 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Quote:

I was talking more on the lines of having the chemistry build a little bit more, or the communication aspect. If minor changes are made then that chemistry can build.

Old
03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Last year team >> This year's
08-09 > This years

07-08 < This years

That about sums it up

You cant compare the teams because of the amount of changeover in reality

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:56 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

We need team stats to really compare the difference between this year and last.

Old
03-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

we need nothing because we can't compare them.

We can say that our Team isn't as worse as some thought but isn't as good as last year.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:13 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Last year team >> This year's
08-09 > This years

07-08 < This years

That about sums it up

You cant compare the teams because of the amount of changeover in reality
Since the trade deadline I think this is a wash.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:04 PM
BobbyJet

/\ ... almost but with one missing ingredient. That confident swagger that only comes with good chemistry and that takes time... and that says we can come back from any deficit. Hopefully it will be back before the playoffs.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Well, he wasn't here and they won anyways. To say "It's a shame" we didn't win the Cup with Johnsson in the lineup is extremely silly. Our D was stacked enough. Any comparison of the teams with Johnsson there is a mute point, as he was barely ever on the team.

PK is 8/9 since Campoli got here. VERY VERY small sample space, obviously, but if that keeps up there is no way you can say Sopel > Leddy in regards to needs when if they are killing penalties, and that's all Sopel can do, he obviously isn't needed and we're way better off with a player of Leddy's talent.

Remember, Seabrook and Keith were not as good this year when we didn't have the defensive depth and they were forced into 26-29 minutes a game. With 6 guys who can play, they certainly should be at the same level as last years playoffs, getting around 22'.
Yikes, you get the point I was making... I guess to correct that: "It would've been great to see what our D could've done with Johnsson in the line-up" I don't even see why that even needed to be nitpicked.

Well, I guess I break it down this way:

09-10 10-11
Seabrook > Seabrook
Keith > Keith
Hjalmarsson = Hjalmarsson
Campbell ≤ Campbell
Johnsson ≥ Campoli
Sopel > Leddy

While Sopel is slow and not really a puck mover, he was a rock the last half of the season and provided much higher quality PK time than Campoli or Leddy projects. I like the addition of Campoli a lot but Sopel provided elements to that team that were truly needed. Campoli does to a lesser extent and Leddy is still a rookie who makes rookie mistakes. He's got an extremely bright future ahead of him but as of right now, he's not more valuable to this year's team than Sopel was to last year's team.

In theory, sure... Seabs and Keith should be playing the same calibre defense that they played last year now that we have a relatively deep defense group now. However, players fluctuate and often times have off-years. That's the definition of Seabrook and Keith this year and it certainly doesn't help that they were worn out early this year because of the lack of depth. I just don't see how last year's D with Johnsson is not at the very least slightly better than this years defense.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:26 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
08-09 > This years
I dunno about this. Hossa>Havlat. Toews/Kane/Keith/Seabrook/Campbell are all playing better/more experienced. Buff/Ladd were not the players they are today.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Nor Brouwer. And look at the disaster we had on defense after the top three.

The 09 team had tons of potential but the depth wasn't in place yet.

It was considerably tougher, though.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:18 PM
icekoob

I feel like this team is equal to '09. Ability to maybe make it to WCF but to the Cup is questionable.

At the same time I have a lot of faith, this core (hate that word) is the best in the league IMO. Enough to make another deep run.

icekoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:19 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
I dunno about this. Hossa>Havlat. Toews/Kane/Keith/Seabrook/Campbell are all playing better/more experienced. Buff/Ladd were not the players they are today.
Disagree.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:28 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Disagree.
I'm still bitter about letting Havlat go. The guy can see the ice better than just about anybody in the game today and he fit so well on this team. Hossa is a beast and near impossible to take off the puck but he still seems disconnected with this team to me. Havlat just meshed so well with everybody and he was clutch as hell for us in the playoffs. I miss the guy.

Last edited by MadhouseOnMadison: 03-08-2011 at 03:40 AM.
MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Havlat could have stayed. Ball was in his court. He opted not to.

It seems to have worked out fine for us. No regrets here.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Hossa and Havlat play the game a lot differently, though... so it's hard to compare the two to each other. I miss Marty a lot but having Kane sort of makes Havlat a little redundant. Both are RW who can make a hell of a play, sees the ice very well and has a deceivingly good shot (albeit, Havlat is a better 2-way player than Kane). Hossa brings a different element to our team, which I like. Wish we could have both, but it's just impossible in the cap era.